In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: DJ Tragic
- 10. I'ts My Life/Talk Talk by Talk Talk
Both these songs are awesome but its my life has been covered maybe twice. This song is still best from Talk Talk even though no doubt did a awesome job at it I still prefer the 80s version.
- 9. Bizzare Love Triangle/ True Faith by New Order
This band had some bizzare videos but the songs were so cool.
- 8. Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears
lol like most 80s videos they kinda look bleh when u look back at them but there classic and unique no doubt. This video to this song was pretty cool and recommend sowing the seeds of love as well.
- 7. Give Me Tonight by Shannon
This song is freaking dancy and sad at the same time. its about a guy and a girl breaking up etc etc. so many songs are like that but these lyrics are intense and moving to me.I think this song is better than let the music play.
- 6. You Take My Self Control/ Hold Me by Laura Branigan
I loved laura branigans voice. She had quite a few songs that I love but these are my favorite two. Imagination and Gloria are another two you should check out.
- 5. Pretty Mess/Wet Dream by Vanity 6
Gawd Vanity 6 has some awesome sexually explicit music for the 80s. I LOVE IT LOL! If you never heard these two songs by vanity 6 its a must cause most people know vanity 6 for her famous "NASTY GIRLS" song but these two are pretty awesome. One more nasty one you should add is Vibrator.
- 4. Point Of No Return/Seasons Change by Expose
Expose had a lot of awesome songs but these two are my favorite. Point of no return is a awesome dance song and seasons changes is a great slow love song.
- 3. Hole In My Heart/ When You Were Mine by Cyndi Lauper
some people would be like um eww cyndi lauper but seriously she was really an awesome diva idol of the 80s and these two songs are my favorite.
- 2. Pump It Up by Elvis Costello
First time I heard this song was on a movie called 200 cigarettes which was all about the 80s but was done in 1999. This song rocks my socks.
- 1. Dreaming by Will To Power
This takes me back to that dance club type of 80s.
I was born 1980 so I actually grew up with this music from brothers and parents and just the fact that 80s music is sooo very much unique to any other type of era of music out there. I have never felt the way about music like the 80s has so ever changed my view on awesome music. I Dj 80s music for a radio station. Its awesome. http://www.radio.timelessdreamz.net/
- 10. Break My Stride by Mathew Wilder
Anyone remembers this?
- 9. Hold Me Now by Thomson Twins
- 8. Big In Japan by Alphaville
A super track from an excellent band
- 7. Into Deep by Dead Or Alive
Another song from the excellent YOUTHQUAKE album
- 6. Love And Pride by King
Still one of my favourites
- 5. Foerever Young by Alphaville
The greatest slow song ever sung
- 4. Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics
- 3. Blue Monday by New Order
- 2. Lover Come Back To Me by Dead Or Alive
- 1. You Spin Me Round by Dead Or Alive
Pete Burns!! Awesome tune.
The 80s were by far the best decade in terms of songs and bands. I am not that old to remember all of them but the ones that I have in my mind are so excellent. Viva the 80s..........
- 10. Mad World by Tears For Fears
...before anyone knew them and they were good. 'The Hurting' the BEST Tears for Fears album.
- 9. Don't You Want Me Baby? by Human League
- 8. Friends Of Mr. Cairo by Jon & Vangelis
- 7. Harley David(Son Of A Bitch) by Bullock Brothers
Fun, obscure song
- 6. Doot Doot by Fruer
Awesome, awesome song!
- 5. Walls Came Down by The Call
- 4. Eyes Of A Stranger by Payola$
- 3. Nobody's Diary by Yaz
- 2. Stories For Boys by U2
- 1. Generals & Majors by XTC
My very first "New Wave" song. Thanks KROQ 106.7 (formerly of Pasadena, California)
This partial list is by no means my complete list but just a few of my personal faves...
- 10. Black Coffee by Squeeze
Very good vocals
- 9. Stone In Love by Journey
I love the guitar solo by Neal Schon.
- 8. What's So Funny About Peace, Love, And Understandi by Elvis Costello
The 60s spirit to the 80s.
- 7. Elephant Talk by King Crimson
I like the elephant sound.
- 6. Don't Cry by Asia
This supergroup was one of the few 80s ones that did.
- 5. It's A Sin by Pet Shop Boys
very spiritual for new wave.
- 4. Watch Me Bleed by Tears For Fears
love their first album
- 3. Save It For Later by English Beat
listened to this over and over again during the 80s.
- 2. Ceremony by New Order
very eerie synth sound.
- 1. Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
extremely sad song, but memorable.
- 10. Give Blood by Pete Townsend
Love the drumming on this.
- 9. Watch Me Bleed by Tears For Fears
Listened to "The Hurting" a lot during the 80s.
- 8. REM by Shakin' Through
Best use of Michael Stipes fine voice. From "Murmur".
- 7. Peace, Love, And Understanding by Elvis Costello
This is the "For What It's Worth" of the 80s.
- 6. It's A Sin by Pet Shop Boys
- 5. Elephant Talk by King Crimson
They still had it in the 80s.
- 4. Don't Cry by Asia
Not as popular as Heat Of The Moment and Only Time Will Tell.
- 3. Save A Prayer by Duran Duran
From their second album - "Rio". Their best.
- 2. Gloria by U2
From their second album - "October"
- 1. Love Will Tears Us Apart by Joy Division
Depressing. Very well crafted.
By: Gina Pacherille
- 10. Somebodys Watching Me by Rockwell
- 9. How Soon Is Now by The Smiths
- 8. I Didnt Mean To Turn You On by Robert Palmer
Robert Palmer is the coolest! I love his music videos too.
- 7. West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys
- 6. True Faith by New Order
- 5. Footloose by Kenny Loggins
Gosh that was the coolest movie....
- 4. Rio by Duran Duran
In my opinion their best song.
- 3. Take On Me by A-Ha
This song has the best music video ever!
- 2. Enjoy The Silence by Depeche Mode
- 1. Suedehead by The Smiths
I love The Smiths!They are my all time favortive band!
Other cool songs: She blinded me with Science by Thomas Dolby, and anything by Wham, The Talking Heads, Pat Benatar, Howard Jones, Erasure, The Cars. EVERYTHING from the 80's is pretty good.
It was hard, I have left like a hundred more songs, actually it's impossible to number them in order to make a true list, there are all awasome.
80's rulz, and im obsessed with Paula Abdul, go Paula yay!
- 10. Kosciusko by Midnight Oil
1986: Red Sails in the Sunset It hit #1 in Australia (but then, didn't every M idnight Oil song). This album wasn't marketed nearly as well as the albums that bookend it (1984's 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 and 1987's Diesel and Dust) but is my favourite of the three.
- 9. Alcohol Heart by 54-40
1986: 54-40 (aka the Green album) Love this song, love the video, and seen the band live more than any other. I needed at least one Canadian band on the list
- 8. Every Day Is Halloween by Ministry
1984: 12" Single EVERY dance club where I have attended a retro night has played this song.
- 7. Genetic Engineering by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
1983: Dazzle Ships As a molecular biologist who has done a lot of genetic engineering throughout my career, I couldn't leave this one out.
- 6. Coming Home by Scorpions
1984: Love at First Sting album This album marks the zenith of their career, they had albums with better charting songs, but this album was the Scorpions at their most cohesive. An album that could have been released anytime from 1968 onwards, and isn't out of place.
- 5. April Skies by Jesus and Mary Chain
1987: Darklands album Great song, great album. If you don't own it........get it.
- 4. Irgendwie, Irgendwo, Irgenwan by Nena
1985: Feuer and Flame album Redone in both German and English (with Kim Wilde) a few years ago, but the original still rocks.
- 3. Blue Monday by New Order
1982: 12" Single I believe it is still the best selling 12" single..............and with great reason
- 2. Rock The Night by Europe
1985: The Final Countdown album As much as I love The Final Countdown, this song is the one that does it for me every time.
- 1. Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
1980: 7" Single We'll never know what could have become of these men, although the 'Closer' album indicates the move towards New Order's music was already underway
I started the 80s as a 14 yr old high school student in a small canadian town where the music heard on Casey Kasem's American Top 40 was the norm. I ended the 80s as a 24 yr old graduate student wondering how I could keep the 80s going on forever. It's now 2006, I have 10,000 plus albums spanning from the 50s to the present, but the decade that is best represented is the 1980s. 5,300 albums, 53,000 songs, and I can only put 10.....what a crock! ;)
- 10. by Hüsker Dü
- 9. by The Grapes Of Wrath
- 8. by New Order/Joy Division
- 7. by 54-40
- 6. by XTC
- 5. by The Damned
- 4. by Boston
- 3. by Rush
- 2. by Midnight Oil
- 1. by Jesus And Mary Chain
There are so many other albums I would love to include like Asia's debut album (1982), Tracy Chapman's debut (1987), The Stone Roses' debut (1989), Fascination Street by the Cure (1989), The Trinity Session by the Cowboy Junkies (1987), Sound Affects by The Jam (1980), Like A Virgin by Madonna (1984 - yes, musical diversity is a must!), Nena's debut album (1983), Dream Street Rose by Gordon Lightfoot (1980), Suddenly by Billy Ocean (1984), Flowers Of Romance by PiL (1981), Life's Rich Pageant by R.E.M (1986), Love At First Sting by the Scorpions (1984), Psonic Psunspot by Dukes of Stratosphear/XTC (1987), Thunder Seven by Triumph (1984), War by U2 (1983), Down To The Moon by Andreas Vollenweider (1986), and the Violent Femmes debut album (1983). It should be noted that the contents of this list would have been much different if it weren't for college
By: Kenmaynard Scott Jr.
- 10. Wild Flower (extended version) by The Cult
A real good piece of music that really sound better than the original version.
- 9. She Sells Sanctuary (long version) by The Cult
A true masterpiece if you are a Cult fan.
- 8. Rock The Casbah (Ultimix Remix) by The Clash
This is the ultimate remix The Clash has ever did and this really rocks right to this day.
- 7. Work For Love by Ministry
Great sound and rhythm from one of the earlier albums.
- 6. Confusion by New Order
A good song that New Order has really been quite popular in their concerts and remixes. Still popular right to this date.
- 5. Murderous by Nitzer Ebb
A totally good industrial and techno song during this time frame.
- 4. Shock The Monkey by Peter Gabriel
Great song and video. One of his best.
- 3. Why Me? (Long Version) by Planet P Project
- 2. World Destruction (Extended Mix) by Time Zone (Public Image Limited)
One of John Lydon's greatest featuring Afika Bambaataa as the main vocal on a post punk era masterpiece. Can anybody remember this one?
- 1. Wild, Wild West (Extended Version) by The Escape Club
A super song for listening and dancing.
Peter Gabriel really did good music during the 80's era.
- 10. Lady In Red by Chris DeBurgh
i wish i felt that pretty, lol. hey this song is just a timeless classic.
- 9. Faithfully by Journey
i just love this song, i wish all guys could love faithfully
- 8. Careless Whisper by Wham
what can i say this is a gorgeous song.
- 7. Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley
hey this guy might be kinda geeky but he has an awesome voice and this is a cool song
- 6. Shattered Dreams by Johnny Hates Jazz
hey its a cool song i have to stop changing the radio stationg everytime i catch it but some how it reminds me of all of my failed relationships
- 5. Take On Me by A-HA
not only is this the best song of the 80's the i have ever heard and the coolest video i have ever seen, that leader singer is pretty hot lol.
- 4. Shes Like The Wind by Patrick Swayze
why cant all men be that sweet, i want one to think of me that way.
- 3. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
ok, i am just gonna ask one single question. why havent i ever had a boyfriend that stood outside my bedroom window playing this song all night for. i always say they are either taken or gay.
- 2. Dont Dream Its Over by Crowded house
this song is gorgeous what else can i say. besides it unique and it just sticks out from all the other songs on the radio.
- 1. Take My Breath Away by Berlin
my goodness i loved this song since i was a baby. and girls you can not tell me that everytime you hear this song on top gun you just wanna go and find yourself a hot fighter pilot lol
i know i have alot of love songs on my list but i cant help it. its not just the fact that i grew up hearing these songs. you just know all of 80's love songs was written from the heart. and all of these songs give a good reputation to this era. how i wish every time i sit down to watch pretty in pink or hear culture club on the radio i wish i was old enough to enjoy and appreciate that wonderful era even more. but it will always go on just as long the radio keeps playing those timeless classics.
- 10. Slave To Love by Brian Ferry
- 9. Drive by The Carrs
who´s gonna drive your home.. tonight... who´s gonna make the list music now!! .... i no have word.. is special...
- 8. Send Me An Angel by Scorpions
is a clasic song!! for a clasic band.. what can i say!!!
- 7. One More Night by Phill Collins
so tender song... i really love the rithm and lirycs of this beautifull hit of mister Colins
- 6. Rush, Rush by Paula Abdul
so hooty!! that song is really sexy... and the voice of Paula.. oh my good! the first time that i ear this song i dont have idea who sing.. i think in madonna, pointer sisters!! o my good.. so crazy!!
- 5. For Yours Babies by Simply Red
thi´s song is very special to me (whit "Stars"..rememberme very happy times.. but.. this times are six feet under...)
- 4. Don´t Dream It's Over by Crowded House
my brother hatte this song.."oh my good!! i lising this song one hundred millions of times...really like them???.."
- 3. Woman In Chains by Tears For Fears
incredible arrangement.... great song!!
- 2. I´m Only Human by Human League
"...Come on baby, dry your eyes.. wipe tears Never like to see you cry Won't you please forgive me?..." What can i say???
- 1. I´m Not In Love by 10 c.c.
so amazing and trully lirycs.... i love this song... is especially for the unloved people...
And another very beautifull song of Foregneir, Starship,Jhon Waite,Paul Young,Styxs,Billy Idol,Beverley Craven,Level 42...Hall and Oates (I can´t go For That)etc.... is so hard make a list!! i´ll remember so many song and i can´t concentrate my musical memory!!!!
- 10. Under The Milky Way by The Church
The more acoustic version of this song features some haunting piano...
- 9. Ghost In You by The Psychedelic Furs
- 8. Synchronicity II / Every Little Thing She Does by The Police
Could these guys do any wrong?
- 7. Eyes Without A Face / White Wedding by Billy Idol
High school dances!
- 6. Alive And Kicking by Simple Minds
They did so much else, but this is a great one. Love Song is also very cool.
- 5. Avalon by Roxy Music
Whoever said it was the ultimate seduction song was right
- 4. Save It For Later by English Beat
A moving kind of tune, my best male friend loved this song
- 3. Somebody by Depeche Mode
The love song
- 2. Songs From The Big Chair / The Hurting by Tears for Fears
They were the 80s for me in many ways, and these albums have to tie.
- 1. Hazy Shade Of Winter by The Bangles
Harder edged than many of their others, and it still rocks
Honourable Mentions: Worlds Away / We Run by Strange Advance, What Does it Take by Honeymoon Suite, The Sun Always Shines on TV by A-Ha, and all of the Honeydrippers. There was also Loverboy, the Scorpions, Phil Collins. The 80s were my entire teenage years. I love these lists!
By: Kim Evans
Honorable mention: "Crossfire" (Stevie Ray Vaughn), "Steppin' Out" (Joe Jackson), "All Night Long" (Joe Walsh), "Our House" (Madness), "Hero Takes a Fall" (Bangles)...to name a few!
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.