In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Patrick - Obscure 80s Connoiseur (Obscure List 1)
- 10. Turn Up The Radio by Autograph
This song must be listened to very loudly.
- 9. The Killing Moon by Echo and the Bunnymen
Dark, Addictive, and in several movies including "The Girl Next Door."
- 8. Feels Like Heaven by Fiction Factory
- 7. Call To The Heart by Giuffria
Bolton-esque ballad that is great.
- 6. Love Plus One by Haircut 100
Odd but grows on you after second listen.
- 5. Hold On by Ian Gomm
May be from the 70s. But is too good to leave off this list.
- 4. Sausalito Summer Night by Diesel
Makes me want to drive along the Pacific Coast Highway.
- 3. Ah Leah by Donnie Iris
This Leah girl must be amazing to inspire such a great song. Pure listening bliss.
- 2. Quiet Life by Japan
From 1980. I think Duran Duran stole their style.
- 1. Wonderful Life by Black
Sad, happy, and amazing.
By: Patrick - Obscure 80s Connoiseur (Obscure List 2)
We all know the mainstream hits, but what about these forgotten greats? Track down these songs, listen, and enjoy
these are some of my favorite songs from the 1980's. although i wasn't born back then, i love listening to the decade's music because it reminds me of a simpler time.
- 10. Running by Information Society
Hot steamy nights alone I wait for you.
- 9. Don't Cry by Asia
this is probably the most overlooked Asia song next to Go!
- 8. People Are People by Depeche Mode
So we're different colors and we're different breeds and different people have different needs.
- 7. Big Mess by Devo
I'm a man with a mission a boy with a gun I gotta picture in my pocket of the lucky one
- 6. Cars by Gary Numan
all hail numan the master of electronic music
- 5. Thriller by Michael Jackson
It's close to midnight and something evils lurking from the dark.
- 4. Numbers/Computer World 2 by Kraftwerk
All out 1980s Techno
- 3. What's On Your Mind (Pure Energy) by Information Society
Loved this when i was younger i'm glad to see they're back
- 2. Together In Electric Dreams by Giorgio Moroder & Phil Oakey
Written for the awesome 1984 film Electric Dreams
- 1. Don't You Want Me by Human League
You were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar
By: Jeff Papiernik
- 10. Under Pressure by Queen
Great song, great band
- 9. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
If MJ wasn't a pedophile, I probably would have put this somewhere in the top 5, but I can't help but include this song, it changed the face of music
- 8. Pride (In the Name of Love) by U2
U2 had so many good songs in the 80s, they probably deserve more spots in the top 10, but this one was my favorite
- 7. Born In the USA by Bruce Springsteen
The Boss delivers, makes you feel proud to be an American
- 6. Every Breath You Take by The Police
A song so simple, but so good
- 5. Take On Me by Aha
How can a person hit notes that high I will never know, good music video as well
- 4. Don't Stop Believing by Journey
Need I say more, Steve Perry is amazing in this song and it's so easy to sing along with
- 3. Jump by Van Halen
They weren't known for this type of music, but they did an amazing job with it
- 2. Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison
Hard to imagine that they were able to turn a bad break up into such an awesome song
- 1. Electric Blue by Icehouse
Most underrated song of the 80s in my opinion, it never gets old for me, so powerful and pure.
My #1 pick might be scrutinized, but it did reach #1 in Australia, so maybe it just wasn't appreciated as much in the U.S., everything else I think is fair and top 10 worthy
- 10. Careless Whisper by George Michael
A timeless classic...George's haunting voice sounds fantastic on this achingly beautiful gem. Another song where he sounds this beautiful is A Different Corner - absolutely stunning!
- 9. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
Just one of those songs you can't help, but love - I love it! The recent acoustic version is just as good as the original. Also love True Colours and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (my childhood anthem!)
- 8. Don't You Want Me by Human League
A fun song to dance to...quintessential 80s pop.
- 7. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
Two words... BREAKFAST CLUB - one of my all time FAVOURITE 80s movies.
- 6. Edge of Heaven by Wham!
This has got to be Wham's sexiest song. Those lyrics...man, so dirty! George is soo gay in this video, but oh so sexy! His voice oozes with lust.
- 5. Every Little Thing She Does is Magic by The Police
I like this one better than Every Breath You Take. Simply stunning!
- 4. Need You Tonight by INXS
Sexy, sexy, sexy...love to bump and grind to this one. Oh, is there any other song that just screams SEX!
- 3. Pour Some Sugar on Me by Def Leppard
Whenever I hear this song, I just wanna shake my booty. Damn, it's sexy!
- 2. Wild Boys/A View to A Kill by Duran Duran
A recent DD convert, I love this band. Ironically, they first got my attention with Ordinary World and Come Undone (90s DD songs). Wild Boys is a devilishly sexy song with a video to match. AVATK is by far the hottest Bond track yet. Oh, and LeBon's voice is terribly HOT!
- 1. Summer of 69/Run To You by Bryan Adams
I think it's such a tragedy that BA is known primarily for his love ballads/film soundtracks when it obvious from the above tracks as well as his concerts that he CAN rock. In my opinion, Reckless (the album that these two awesome tracks come from) is his best. 69 represents everything I believe the 80s to be - fun; innocent (well not quite!); energetic - pure nostalgia. Also, it's the ultimate song to play at full blast on a long road. Run to You is a sultry guitar driven number that together with BA's deathly sexy voice makes me wanna grind my hips. What's more is, BA's voice sounds just as good as it did more than twenty years ago.
There are MANY more songs I wanted to add. This is just the tip of the iceberg. It is absolutely impossible to pick ONLY 10 songs!
By: Rob (Michigan)
- 10. Heat Of The Moment by Asia
- 9. Summmer Of 69 by Bryan Adamas
- 8. Im On Fire by Bruce Springsten
- 7. Boys Of Summer by Don Henley
- 6. Plain Song by The Cure
- 5. We Didn't Start The Fire by Billy Joel
- 4. Dirty Dianna by Michael Jackson
- 3. Eyes Without A Face by Billy Idol
- 2. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns n Roses
- 1. Just Like Heaven by The Cure
By: Gaz - Tamworth, Staffs
- 10. I Won't Let You Down by PHD
A school day reminder, no money at all, but no worries either, takes me back!
- 9. Big in Japan by Alphaville
How can a group make a class tune like this then dissappear!
- 8. Doctor Doctor by Thompson twins
Hold me now, runs it close but this just edges it, brillliant!
- 7. Time (Clock of the heart) by Culture Club
Great lyrics, great tune, takes me back to being on a YTS scheme, £25 quid a week (and my mum had £20 of it!!!)
- 6. Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode
One of the best 80's bands, and poss thier finest tune
- 5. Waiting For A Train by Flash And The Pan
One hit wonders from 83, but a song that typified the 80's, electro pop at it's best!!
- 4. The Lebanon by The Human League
They tried a new kind of sound with this one and It proved to be their best!!, still brilliant today, listen to those guitars!!
- 3. Save a Prayer by Duran Duran
Another great summer sound from 82, reminds me of holidaying in Newquay, leaving school and girls!
- 2. Don't Talk To Me About Love by Altered Images
Their best tune + Clare Grogan was a babe!
- 1. The Boys Of Summer by Don Henley
Great vocals and a great sound, Definately one of the many great 80's tunes!
These are just 10 of the hundreds of great songs from the best decade of music. Mainly remind me of school, friends and carefree times. If we could only go back for a day eh!
By: "DJ Nik" Nick Helm
- 10. Sharp Dressed Man by ZZ Top
What can I say about this song? Let me count the ways... First off, it's a very catchy tune with its guitar riffs and catchy lyrics. Plus, the band in general.. fronted by two guys who have the full grown out beard and Frank Beard, their drummer, doesn't have one (ZZ Top Reference... VH1's I love the 80s). So true. Catchy tune that has me bumping this tune everytime I put on my iPod.
- 9. Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.
The classic hit from the hit film "Ghostbusters". Did you know that if you listen to the guitar riffs to this song and Huey Lewis and The News' song "I Want A New Drug", they sound almost identical. Seems to be because Huey Lewis took Ray Parker Jr. to court on that issue and I think Huey Lewis won. But, this song has gotten more popularity than Huey Lewis' "I Want A New Drug".
- 8. Oh Yeah by Yello
Who could not forget this classic hit from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". This song definately has a spot on my Top 10. Doesn't it make you wanna get up and dance? It does when I play this song at parties.
- 7. Jump (For My Love) by The Pointer Sisters
I am all about making my friends get up and dance. Any dance hit from the 80s can work but this song really works, along with "The Nuetron Dance".
- 6. Shake, Shake, Shake Senora by Harry Belefonte
Okay, another big tune from another classic 80s film. Beetlejuice is hilarious and this tune is the film's backbone, especially because the singer sang "Banana Day-O" song during the dinner scene. Essential for any 80s collection. Thank God I have this one.
- 5. Venus by Bananarama
What can I say? Overall, it's all about the dance factor. If I can dance in my seat while I'm listening to a song, then it's a definite hit to play at parties.
- 4. Dead Man's Party by Oingo Boingo
Another classic song. Gotta have this song to pump out at parties, especially the Halloween parties. C'mon, Dead Man's Party. Makes me dance so it should make everyone dance as well.
- 3. You Might Think by The Cars
Another song with a catchy tune. I'm really big on the 80s and this song definately needs to be on any Top 10 list.
- 2. You Can Call Me Al by Paul Simon
I was hooked on this song once I saw the music video with Chevy Chase. It's a really catchy tune.
- 1. Thriller by Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson's "Thriller" tops my list as one of the greatest songs of all time only because of its awesome music video, directed by John Landis. This song always gets the crowd jumpin' to the dance floor and doing "The Zombie Dance".
This is my Top 10 Best Songs from the 80s, whether you agree or disagree with me. COMING SOON... MY TOP 10 LOVE SONGS FROM THE 80s!
By: Edward Lara
- 10. Don't Cry by Ken Lazlo
- 9. Listen To Your Heart by Sonia
- 8. Tell It To My Heart by Taylor Dayne
- 7. Always On My Mind by Pet Shop Boys
- 6. Nineteen by Paul Hardcastle
- 5. Silent Morning by Noel
- 4. Harry Houdini by Kon Kan
- 3. Baila Bolero by Fun Fun
- 2. Take On Me by A-Ha
- 1. Living In The Oblivion by Anything Box
This list are the best music dance in the eighties. Tell me if i wrong!!!!
- 10. Thriller by Michael Jackson
Not my favorite, but it's totally fun to dance to.
- 9. I Ran by A Flock Of Seagulls
Classic 80s song that everyone loves.
- 8. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
I love this song.
- 7. In a Big Country by Big Country
A great song that still holds up today.
- 6. Message in a Bottle by The Police
Great song... and really fun to play on Guitar Hero. :)
- 5. Rio by Duran Duran
Of course I put this on the list!
- 4. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
- 3. New Religion by Duran Duran
- 2. I Can't Go For That (No Can Do) by Hall & Oates
This song is awesome.
- 1. Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran
Best song ever!
The 80s without a doubt had the best music!
By: Purple Girl
- 10. I Eat Cannibal by Total Coleo
Fun to dance to, catchy words
- 9. My Life by Talk Talk
- 8. Dancing with Tears in my eyes by Ultravox
Made me cry
- 7. Empty Garden by Inxs
took me to another world
- 6. Bellalagosi's Dead by Bauhaus
Embraced my gothic youth
- 5. Slow Dive by Siouxie & The Banshees
First introducition to a favorite band
- 4. Sex Dwarf by Soft Cell
Okay so you all missed out on their other great music if you didn;t buy their albums!
- 3. Save A Prayer by Duran Duran
I thought I had found true love
- 2. Cars by Gary Numan
I had found a writer and singer that I could admire
- 1. This Corrosion by Sisters of Mercy
I thought I had found God
Other bands worthy of mention: Wall of Voodoo, Clash, The Fixx, Berlin, Kim Wilde, Romeo Void and sooo many more that I am not remembering at 2:30 AM
By: Jake Ryan
- 10. Give Me Tonight by Shannon
BRENDA 'Shannon' GREENE! If you don't know this song, find it!
- 9. Talking In Your Sleep by The Romantics
Brings back feelings of Childhood.
- 8. Cambodia by Kim Wilde
Touching war story. I Haven't known this song long enough or I would rank it higher! This has pre-Eurythmics electro-sound.
- 7. I Ran by A Flock Of Seagulls
Silver wrapping anyone?
- 6. All Through The Night by Cyndi Lauper
Reminds me of seeing Rainbow Brite on TV, but it's seriously a nice song to me.
- 5. Send Me An Angel by Real Life
Love the original version most, nice atmosphere. Interesting video too.
- 4. Sunglasses At Night by Corey Hart
Good 80's rock sound. Funny video.
- 3. The Metro by Berlin
Great song and video. Terri Nunn always.
- 2. Here Comes The Rain Again by Eurythmics
Pure classic. Songs about as old as my memory, superb writting and electronic style.
- 1. Pump Up The Jam by Technotronic
Loved it then, still like it today. "Felly!"
Honorable Mentions are... ((The Cars - Drive, Bananarama - Cruel Summer and Alphaville - Big In Japan))
By: Daniel Edward
- 10. Give Me Tonight by Shannon
The Freestyle Queen sounds even more brillant on this track then on Let the Music Play. Just hypnotizing and sensual to the very core. One of the best choruses ever created. Ever....
- 9. Hooked on You by Sweet Sensation
A freestyle epic with some of the wildest remixes ever! Hot as hell. Get this spinning on the dance floor and I bet those feet would be on fire!
- 8. Mad About You by Belinda Carlisle
Her backlog is loaded with amazing songs but this is her first single and her finest. A glittery love fest with such a gorgeous pop touch throughout. Brilliant.
- 7. Edge of Seventeen by Stevie Nicks
A firey song with an intense vocal and arrangement. Nothing like the kind of pop songs you get on the radio. Stevie broke the mold.
- 6. Don't You Want Me by The Human League
A staple 80s classic with great vocals and spinning drum programs and keys. Awesome. It has yet to get remotely old sounding to me.
- 5. Big in Japan by Alphaville
I saw the video and loved the song and adore the minimal synth feel it has with such passionate vocals out in front. "Should I stay here at the zoo?"
- 4. Opportunities(Lets Make Lots of Money) by Pet Shop Boys
A memorable video and just a kick butt 80s brit pop song with the most amazing remixes (theres like 10!) tagged onto it.
- 3. Obsession by Animotion
A brilliant song of seduction with total 80s production and great male vs female vocals. The club mix has a long guitar solo explosion for a finale. Love it!
- 2. Here Comes the Rain Again by Eurythmics
A fantasic mix of pouring electronics and deadpan vocals with amazing lyrics. Never gets old.
- 1. Naughty Girls(Need Love Too) by Samantha Fox
One of those songs I thought was the ultimate when I was young in the 80s. I remember hearing it for the first time on the bus. Still is cool as ever! Clerks II thinks so too!
Honorable runners up.. #11 Sandra - Secret Land.. #12 Men Without Hats - Safety Dance.. #13 Every single other artist of the 80s. The BEST decade for music ever! I hate having to choose just ten! The 80s forever!
- 10. Love Shack by B-52's
Yes, I'm crazy, but its a great song to "jam" to.
- 9. The Captain of Her Heart by Double
A very obscure group, and I may have either, or both the title, and/or artist name slighty wrong, but what a warm, dark, sultry piece. I wish I could find this on a cd somewhere.
- 8. Invisible Touch by Genesis
Let's face it, you hear Genesis, you think 80's.
- 7. Rock the Casbah by The Clash
Do I really have to comment on this one?
- 6. She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby
There's nothing hotter than a song about hot science babe!!!
- 5. One Night In Bangkok by from the musical "Chess"
Awesome intro, and an awesome song following!
- 4. Take My Breath Away by Berlin
Who couldn't fall in love to the love theme from "Top Gun"?
- 3. Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler / Meatloaf
The greatest ballad of the 80's by far
- 2. I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight by Cutting Crew
Powerful song, full of passion, and emotion. Things you don't get today, but man could you pull it off, and still be cool the 80's.
- 1. Take On Me by A-Ha
Easily the greast song of the 80's, and by far the best video too.
This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen online! I always feel abit strange when talking to people about my musical taste, because you think most peopl don't listen to the greatest music of the greatest decade of this last century. It's so cool to know there are others out there, and its interesting to see how many of share at least one song (if not two, or more) in common. I LOVE this list!
By: dany_hplover from last.fm
- 10. Don't Talk to Me About Love by Altered Images
- 9. Sound Of the Crowd by Human League
The sound haunts me to this day! What good music there was back in the 80's!
- 8. Love Like Blood by Killing Joke
All Killing Joke songs are great!
- 7. Life In Tokyo by Japan
David, Steve, Mick and Richard = JAPAN! One of the best bands EVER!
- 6. She's Got Claws by Gary Numan & Tubeway Army
- 5. Get the Balance Right! by Depeche Mode
One of the best DM songs ever!!
- 4. Charlotte Sometimes by The Cure
Black eyeliner and smeared red lipstick
- 3. Slow Children by Spring in Fialta
The bass and the sirens make this song! Catchy tune!
- 2. Fade to Grey & Love Glove by Visage
Steve Strange RULES! One sharp dressed man! He was my idol!
- 1. Problemes d'Amour by Alexander Robotnick
This song rocks! I loved dancing to this song at the clubs!
I loved the 80's!
- 10. I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight by Cutting Crew
one hit wonder but still great song.
- 9. Love Bites by Def Leppard
def leppard's best song.
- 8. Eye Of Tiger by Survivor
- 7. Run To You by Bryan Adams
- 6. Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison
most powerfull and soulfull ballad of alltime.
- 5. Final Countdown by Europe
i love this just because of its music,rhytym even though it is not good at lyrics but great song with unforgettable solo both in the beginning and in between the song.
- 4. Every Breathe You Take by Police
all thing about this song is just perfect and not a single song was made like it.
- 3. Father Figure by George Michael
i think this george's best song ever and best love song of the 80's.
- 2. Wanted Dead Or Alive by Bon Jovi
every time i listen this i can feel like a cowboy.Its true cowboy song with some good music(solo) and great lyrics.
- 1. Living On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
I am from India and was introduced to western music 1 year ago but in this span of time i have listened so much of music and found 80's music best and i am a big fan of bon jovi may be thats why there are two songs of bon jovi is in my list.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.