In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Joseph Gonzales, Santa Fe NM
- 10. Never Say Never by Romeo Void
My favorite video of the 80's.
- 9. Smalltown Boy by Bronski Beat
A haunting and heartbreaking ode to youth.
- 8. Add It Up by Violent Femmes
The ultimate garage band- buy their debut album, it's a must have.
- 7. Revenge by Ministry
From their forgotten "disco days" comes this gem.
- 6. Shriekback by Nemesis
The greatest club hit of the 80's.
- 5. Jet Fighter by The Three O'Clock
A sadly overlooked band that produced one of the best debut albums ever.
- 4. Human's Lib by Thomas Dolby
His best song.
- 3. The Lebanon by Human League
The best song from a band that deserves more respect.
- 2. How Soon Is Now by The Smiths
An amazing song by one of the most influential bands of the 80's.
- 1. The Killing Moon by Echo & The Bunnymen
In case you feel like making a mix CD of these songs-- why don't you add: "Standing There" - The Creatures, "Candy" - Iggy Pop, "Boy" - Book Of Love, "Hero Takes A Fall" - The Bangles, "Genius Of Love" - Tom Tom Club, "Kiss Me" - Tin Tin, "Love Plus One" - Haircut 100, "Sex Dwarf" - Soft Cell, "Slang Teacher" - Wide Boy Awake, "Oblivious" - Aztec Camera, and "Gates Of Steel" - Devo.
By: Greg in Des Moines
- 10. Let's Put the X in Sex by KISS
this sun is so awesome, lets put the x in sex OH YEAH!!!!
- 9. Domino by KISS
This song is almost TOO GOOD, i can't even begin to explain hoe underrated it is, a must hear for anyone who hasn't heard it yet!
- 8. Mr. Blackwell by KISS
One of KISS's darker songs, very funky and wierd, so wierd it's a great song
- 7. Under The Rose by KISS
This is a great song that you wouldn't expect from KISS, but one of my favorite tunes
- 6. Saint and Sinner by KISS
This song has a great beat, give it a try
- 5. Fit's Like a Glove by KISS
One Of my favorite song's from KISS
- 4. All Hell's Breakin Loose by KISS
- 3. War Machine by KISS
This song kicks so much ass!
- 2. Rock and Roll Hell by KISS
very good song that flew a bit under the radar
- 1. I Love It Loud by KISS
Rip Rouring heart pounding KISS, turn it up!
obviously i'm a big KISS fan, i just hope no ones pissed off or somethin, I do like other bands, (AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, CCR, chuck berry, etc.)
- 10. Overjoyed by Stevie Wonder
-Thanks to an old boyfriend for showing me this song!
- 9. On My Own by Patti Labelle and Michael Mcdonald
-She has an amazing voice.. very great!
- 8. Friday Night by Loverboy
- 7. Erotic City by Prince
-Best dance song EVER!!
- 6. No Reply At All by Genesis
-Great lyrics, the song speaks for itself!!
- 5. Din Da-Da (Trommeltanz) by Georg Kranz
-I loved Dancing to this song!!
- 4. The Message/White Lines by Grandmaster Flash and(The Furious Five/Melle Mel)
-Two of the Best Lyrics I ever heard in the Rap scene. These two songs were not only Good to dance to, they also stayed in your head.
- 3. Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes by Paul Simon
-On Of The First to introduce African choirs to pop music!!
- 2. Woodbeez(pray like Aretha Franklin) by Scritti Politti
-Good Mood Song. I love Everything from this Band!!
- 1. 19 by Paul Hardcastle
-The Best Anti-War Song in My Opinon ;)
I could have gone on and on!!! I loved the 80's. You could always catch me Dancing on the Dance floor! Some Honorable Mentions are: Billy Ocean-every single song, Stray Cats-most of their songs, The Vapors-Turing Japanese, Teena Marie-Loverboy/Out on a Limb, Slick Rick-Lodi Dodi Anyway.. There are alot more that I could tell you!
- 10. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses
ok so it just came up on my playlist and really it should be higher up the list but i can't be bothered to re do it all
- 9. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
not my cup of tea but certainly 80's'tastic
- 8. Billie Jean by Micheal Jackson
say what you want about micheal jackson now a days but this is just pure 80's class
- 7. Africa by Toto
such an AMAZING song, you just can't help but smile
- 6. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
wait for that chorus then sing it at the top of your voice XD
- 5. Rebel Yell by Billy Idol
tht man is a god
- 4. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
beautiful song by a beautiful woman
- 3. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
the original was best and its the breakfast club song it IS the 80's =]
- 2. Don't Stop Believin' by Journey
it's journey they're only the best band ever in the history of the world
- 1. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
this song makes me cry...
if i was to go back and redo this list it would be different and then if i was to go back and redo it again it would be different still because the 80's had too many great songs for a list
By: Agustin Tamarit
- 10. Show Must Go On by Queen
Probably the best band in the world (I´m sorry The Beatles). This song is like an earthquake!!
- 9. The Great Commandment by Camouflage
Oh my god!! everyone must have this song as a ringtone
- 8. Take On Me by A-ha
- 7. Shake The Disease by Depeche Mode
my favorite of depeche mode
- 6. Self Control by Laura Branigan
this song have lots of variations and goes perfect
- 5. True Faith by New Order
perfect loops and rythms, the video is also great!!
- 4. Sometimes by Erasure
a catchy synthpop song
- 3. Evey Breath You Take by The Police
very nice a deep
- 2. Foreign Affair by Mike Oldfield
the voice of Maggie Reilly in this song is awesome
- 1. Save a Prayer by Duran Duran
the most beautiful song I´ve ever heard
This are personal choices, but I suppose most of the people would consider "Billy Jean" by Michael Jackson in this top 10
By: Terry from Boston
- 10. Uncertain Smile by The The
The piano solo at the end of this song is incredible. When was the last time you remember saying that, if ever??
- 9. No Promises by Icehouse
If you liked Simple Minds, check this song out. These guys are from Australia and this song is a tough find.
- 8. How Soon is Now? by The Smiths
To me, definitely the rock anthem of the 80's. We lost a lot of auditory cells cranking this song at the max our amplifiers could handle. Forget the version on "Charmed"--accept no substitute.
- 7. Everyday is Halloween by Ministry
Don't know why these guys degenerated into a band that liked to toss buckets of raw meat at audiences in later years, but this song was a new breed of New Wave/House Music fusion during the day. You would hear this played at all of the hot House clubs in Chicago.
- 6. Lips Like Sugar by Echo and the Bunnymen
Saw these guys open for New Order and walked away thinking the billing should have been reversed. A lot of kids today have even discovered this song.
- 5. Ghost in You by Psychedelic Furs
If you liked "Save a Prayer" by Duran Duran, check this song out....you won't be disappointed.
- 4. I Heard a Rumour by Bananarama
For New Wavers, these gals were the equivalent of today's pop/dance hit artists. You probably know Venus and Cruel Summer. Hey, we had our guilty pleasures in the eighties as well!
- 3. Surrender by Swing Out Sister
Tough choice here over Sade, Everything But the Girl and Basia. They scored a pop hit with "Breakout" but Surrender and Twilight World are better songs. If you like acid jazz (you know, the stuff you hear in Banana Republic), you'll like this early precursor to the genre.
- 2. This is Mine by Heaven 17
Wanted to give you some techno...New Order, Depeche Mode, Bronski Beat, Communards, Erasure, Book of Love, PSB, Yaz all fine choices...but dig hard to find this one...you'll be pleasantly surprised.
- 1. Living in an Another World by Talk Talk
You know these guys for "It's My Life" (or No Doubt's remake), but please listen to this one. In my opinion, their crowning musical achievement. Somebody once told me that this song made some Rolling Stone greatest song of all time list??
With apologies to U2, The Police, Tears for Fears, Depeche Mode, New Order and other mega-airplay artists, here's a list of songs in no particular order from artists you may have overlooked. They are compiled from my memories of WHFS in DC and WLIR in NY during the day. Note the diversity and intricacy of styles and textures--a far cry from today where everybody more or less sounds like Snow Patrol or The Fray. Explore and enjoy!!!!
By: Deano the Dinosaur
- 10. Prisoners by Rain Parade
So entrancing - relaxing yet mind-blowingly spacey! Amazing guitar-playing.
- 9. Preachin the Blues by The Gun Club
Crazy fast blues-rock'n'roll! Like the White Stripes at 100 miles an hour and 20 years earlier.
- 8. Pilgrimage by R.E.M.
Big echo-ing harmonies, glorious melody - the most popular '80s hippie band by far!
- 7. A Hundred Miles by The Meat Puppets
The best hippie music of the '80s! I was not your typical '80s kid.
- 6. Shy Boy by Bananarama
hip-swaying beat, fun sing-along; make-out music with my first girlfriend :)
- 5. Heart Like a Wheel by Steve Miller Band
from 1980! One of the greatest rock'n'rollin love songs. Words + guitar + melody = perfection
- 4. Generals and Majors by XTC
Everything about it is unforgettably catchy!: the whistling, the melody, the ska beat, harmonies, guitar...
- 3. Life's What You Make It by Talk Talk
Words to live by;awesome mood music
- 2. Up in the Air by Husker Du
Cool echo-ing harmonies, heartfelt lyrics, heavy guitars
- 1. In God's Country by U2
So passionate in every way!
I could name at least 100 songs. My favorites change from day to day. Some of these songs can be heard on my internet radio show "Too Real 4 the '80s" on www.westcottradio.org, Tues. & Thurs. 8 PM Eastern time.
- 10. Photograph by Def Leppard
- 9. Something About You by Level 42
One of the most under appreciated 80s bands.
- 8. Celebration by Kool And The Gang
Come on now. Celebration. Let's all celebrate and have a good time.
- 7. Too Shy by Kajagogo
The bass in the chorus is PHAT.
- 6. Down Under by Men At Work
Finally. A song not about a girl. But strangely, another about a landmass I've never visited.
- 5. Raspberry Beret by Prince
Another song about a girl
- 4. That's Really Super Supergirl by Xtc
Oh hell... why are all of my songs about women so far. Damn.
- 3. Everything She Wants by Wham!
Wow. He was 18 and singing about this shit?! Powerful.
- 2. Africa by Toto
C'mon. You love this song.
- 1. There She Goes Again by The Las
The recent cover does not do it justice.
10 is tough. This is pretty much an arbitrary selection from my top 30.
By: Niña Bonita
- 10. Stop Loving You by Toto
- 9. Private Eyes by Hall And Oates
- 8. Heart To Heart by Kenny Loggins
- 7. Head Over Heals by Tears For Fears
- 6. Upside Down by Two Minds Crack
- 5. Manic Monday by Bangles
- 4. Secret Lovers by Atlantic Star
- 3. Kokomo by Beach Boys
- 2. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Jefferson Starship
- 1. Finding Out The Hard Way by Cynthia Rhodes
i so love this song!!!
these are the best! reminds you of your younger years...
- 10. I Wish It Would Rain Down by Phil Collins
Great video and beautiful song. I love listening to a song that you can relate to.
- 9. Eternal Flame by The Bangles
Another great make out song. Or couple skate song. You know what I'm talking about;)
- 8. Pass The Dutchie by Musical Youth
This song is fun. I thought it was great in the Wedding Singer!
- 7. Whip It by Devo
The video is awesome. Love the hats!
- 6. My Prerogative by Bobby Brown
This was my favorite song in the 5th grade.
- 5. After All by Cher/peter Cetera
This is my favorite duet in the 80'S! You can't tell me that you don't love it!
- 4. New Moon On Monday by Duran Duran
My sister got me hooked on this one!
- 3. You're The Inspiration by Chicago
I remember being in the 8th grade listening to Chicago's greatest hits and making out to the whole CD!!
- 2. A Little Respect by Erasure
I love anything Erasure. Did they ever make a bad song? NO!
- 1. Soldier Of Love by Donnie Osmond
My # 1 favorite song EVER!
I just know that you will love my list. I think there are some songs on here that nobody even thought of. Hope you enjoy!!
- 10. Ah Leah by Donnie Iris
here we go again...
- 9. Midnight Rendevous by The Babys
baby can't you see.baby you and me...
- 8. Running Into The Night by Franke And The Knockouts
i'll get ya hot and make your heart beat faster...so come along for the ride,we're running into the night...
- 7. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
wow what lyrics...
- 6. Send Me An Angel by Real Life
right now...righttt nowww
- 5. Electric Blue by Icehouse
- 4. In A Big Country by Big Country
dreams stay with you
- 3. Blame It On The Radio by John Parr
blame it on the moonlight,blame it on the radio...i just wanna hold her tight,and never let her go.
- 2. Say It Isn't So by The Outfield
- 1. Why Me by Planet P
houston can you hear me or have i lost my mind,why me,why me...
really need a top 100 for the eighties
The Best List
By: Belfast Breaker
Its impossible to do a real 'all time top 10' cos there is so many worthy artist but I stuck to some of my favorite pre 85 records
- 10. Rebel Yell by Billy Idol
- 9. Too Shy by Kajagoogoo
- 8. Rhythm of the Night by Debarge
- 7. Locomotion by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
- 6. Blue Monday by New Order
- 5. Everything she wants by Wham
- 4. Shiny Shiny by Hazy Fantazy
- 3. Geuis of Love by Tom Tom Club
- 2. Weak In The Presence Of Beauty by Floy Joy
- 1. Cairo by Amazulu
The list is in no particular order.
By: Jonathan V
- 10. Dont You Want Me by The Human League
- 9. Jenny/867-5309 by Tommy Tutone
Met the lead singer Tommy Heath after an 80s's concert last summer- really friendly
- 8. Love Bites by Def Leppard
- 7. Captain of Her Heart by Double
- 6. Somebodys Watching me by Rockwell
- 5. Turn up The Radio by Autograph
Feel the energy!!
- 4. Invisible Touch by Genesis
A great memory - heard this song at the start of my first 5k race. Just saw Genesis in concert in 2007 and they were great
- 3. Caught up In you by 38 Special
What a great song - very romantic. The band is very friendly- I met them !
- 2. Animal by Def Leppard
I was so excited for this song when I went to see Def Leppard, that Phil Collen Couldnt stop laughing and staring at me - the front row. Later the band came over to me and he gave me his guitar pick- a great moment in my life!
- 1. Sunglasses At Night by Corey Hart
I heard this song the very first time outside on the street when visiting Jerusalem. It stopped me dead in my tracks and I was literally mesmerized. I havent stopped going crazy over it since!
There is just not enough room to throw everyone in here- 80's songs are still so popular and that is why they have all those special 80's radio weekend shows and special holiday countdowns... I would bet that today's lifeless music wont make it twenty years from now but the 80' will live on. Honorable mention- my favorite band growing up - Hall And Oates - Private Eyes
- 10. Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics
British Invasion bigger than the beatles. Eurythmics stormed the world with that song.
- 9. Lady in Red by Chris De Burgh
Everyone had danced slow to this song with their highschool sweetheart or with someone at least!
- 8. I Just Died In Your Arms by Cutting Crew
I don't know. It was not because of SNL but there is somethig about this song that takes me back to the 80's and makes me feel I am that age again.
- 7. In Jeopardy by Roger Hodgson
He proved he could do it without Supertramp and he proved Supertramp without his voice & singing was not the same...
- 6. Male Curiosity by Kid Creole & the Coconuts
Another soundtrack from Against all Odds.. a great song. Not many know of this song, I wonder why. I saw them in a concert in Montreal jazz festival
- 5. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
No explanantion needed. Michale was the most talented of his time and of all times.
- 4. Forever Young by Alphaville
Need I explan why this is a good song?
- 3. Sounds Like a Melody by Alphaville
Another song I listen to often in my car loud. It never gets old. Brings back lots of memories in Europe...
- 2. Our Love's In Jeopardy by Greg Khin Band
This tune is so early 80's. I still crank it up in my car. It still sounds as good as the first time I heard it to me!
- 1. Against All Odds by Phill Collins
It was in early 80's. It was a soundtrack and you can't deny it brings back some sweet memories. It is indeed a great song by a great performer!
I can have ten other top ten from the 80's. This was just one of them. Songs like Wrapped around your fingers by Polics, Down under by men at work, Don't Answer me by Alan Parsons, Maniac from Flashdance, When your Heart is Weak by Cock Robin, should have known better by Jim Diamond, Girl You Know it's true by Milli Vanilli etc.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.