In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner
Romantic Song, Beautiful lyrics... Perfect song to list with that special person :)
- 9. Maria by Blondie
This song have a lot of history in my life :D But that is the boring part (You don't wanna know!!!) About the song... Just wonderful... Lot of rhythm and wild voice of female singer... Perfect song :)
- 8. I Wanna Dance With Somebody by Whitney Houston
For me there is no "girls songs" or "boys songs"... If you like the song you must listen it, right??? And at this time girls just wanna have fun... with boys :D
- 7. Forever Young by Alphaville
'Cause youth, whatever you want or no, is a gift :) ... Older you can't be later in bed, and skip work, have all the world with us and be against everybody... It's best time of life, no doubt about it :D
- 6. Take on Me by A-Ha
No comments aloud for this song... "Take on me, take me on, I'll be gone, In a day or 2" Does 80's music can get better than this???
- 5. Africa by Toto
I guess this is the song that is in people mind when we think in the eighty's... right??? A perfect picture of the 80's melodies & style...
- 4. Do They Know It's Christmas by Band Aid
Bob Geldof wrote this wonderful song in his fight for a better world... And it is just awsome!!! :)
- 3. Keep On Lovin' You by REO Speedwagon
"Here's the problem Doctor, is this new album, I wrote a song about a girl, I made it up, it was only a song, but I can't get her out of my mind, but everytime I think of her, I picture her with others guys, never with me, she's driving me nuts, but SHE'S SOOO BEAUTIFUUUULLLL
- 2. Arthur's Theme by Christopher Cross
Really... Do I have to talk about this songs??? No need for that, right??? x) How amazing life can be w/ a soundtrack :)
- 1. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Jefferson Starship
Do I really have to comment this song ??? Just wonderful... One of the best love song from ever... Great times that I have w/ my gf listening this song :)
Even knowing that this is a Top Ten, this ten songs are NOT a top, they are a list of my favorite Ten songs of the 80's and some of all time favorite songs... If you have some thought to share, or you agree/disagree with something... Or you just wanna meet me, 'cause you like me by my music taste... You can always talk with me: email@example.com... Kisses and lots of hugs to everyone
1982 was an amazing year for music. Feel bad that I didn't include Madonna, the Police, more Michael Jackson and more Billy Joel, and more soundtrack songs and one-hit wonders.
- 10. Like A Virgin by Madonna
- 9. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits
One of the first few computer animated videos.
- 8. You Might Think by The Cars
A mosquito with the face of the vocalist flying around the girl.
- 7. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
- 6. All The Love In The World by Outfield
- 5. Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by George Michael
- 4. She's Got The Look by Roxette
- 3. I Just Called To Say I Love You by Stevie Wonder
It had to be in this list, sorry.
- 2. Karma Cameleon by Culture Club
You come and go, you come and go.
- 1. Life Is Life by Opus
La la, la la la. :)
It's not like I recognize the musical quality of every one of these songs, but some deserve a spot because they were so, so big. About the order, I can only be sure about the number 1 spot.
- 10. Devil Inside by INXS
Another case of any one of their hits would be fitting. This is a great offering from one of the more underrated bands of the 80's. Even with all their celebrity, INXS never got it's just due.
- 9. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
Another fun song. Kind of a guilty pleasure. Nothing concrete in it's lyrics or music, just fun to listen to
- 8. Little Red Corvette by Prince and the Revolution
It's just a fun song from one of the best singer/songwriter of the 80's.
- 7. London Calling by The Clash
A great song from the Punk scene leftovers, and further proof that the New Wave sound powered the greatness of the 80's.
- 6. Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode
Once again, with so many hits, almost anyone of them would have fit here, but this was their first hit, and still their best song
- 5. A Little Respect by Erasure
I could easily have listed one of their many hits here, but in my opinion this one best personified them as a group.
- 4. Love Plus One by Haircut 100
Quirky song that is an example of how eclectic the 80's really were.
- 3. Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler
Strong emotionally charged song. One you can't help but sing at the top of your lungs.
- 2. It's Friday, I'm In Love by The Cure
It doesn't get much better than the Cure. Strong lyrics and always an unique sound in their music.
- 1. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
Possibly the greatest 80's song ever written. If not, it's definitely a top 5.
I know I ignored the hair bands, and the late 80's pop sound, but in my opinion, the early to mid 80's truly defined the decades unique, eclectic, strange, and sometimes downright silly sound.
I tried my best on the list, but, maybe I might missed out on many of fav songs of the GOLDEN 80s
By: Brian Sniatkowski
- 10. Gigantic by The Pixies
Possibly the first alternative "supergroup". They burned out too soon. Rumor is that they might be getting back together
- 9. Subculture by New Order
I like the live version on Substance best.
- 8. Brass Monkey by The Beastie Boys
The first halfway decent white rappers. Who'd have thunk they'd still be around 20 years later?
- 7. Lovesong by The Cure
A haunting, very pretty song. Robert Smith's sometimes whining voice is perfect for this song. He certainly sings it with feeling, as if he were singing to someone real.
- 6. Christine by Siouxsie & the Banshees
Siouxsie's best song.
- 5. Orange Crush by R.E.M.
Any of a number of REM songs could have made this list. Driver 8, You Are the Everything, Fall on Me. This is probably my favorite of the bunch though.
- 4. The Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
"You can dance if you want to..." and most people did when this song came on.
- 3. The Ledge by The Replacements
Another band with numerous songs that could have made this list. I just love the riff in The Ledge
- 2. The Cutter by Echo & the Bunnymen
One of the oddest named bands of the 80's, E&TB put out several strong albums in that decade.
- 1. This Must Be the Place(Native Melody) by The Talking Heads
The Heads were near their artistic peak in the early 80's. This song is a pretty one
Being a particularly fertile time for music, there were many songs and artists who could have made this list. Bangles, The Smiths, The Clash, Depeche Mode, Elvis Costello, Peter Gabriel, X, Flipper. Wow! what a decade for music!
Classic Aussie Music
- 10. Careless Whispers by George Michael
One of the best slow songs of the decade.
- 9. Get Into the Groove by Madonna
Best dance song!
- 8. In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins
I immediately think of Crockett & Tubbs driving the black ferrari in Miami Vice (the best show from the 80's!).
- 7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by U2
Had to put a U2 song somewhere on this list.
- 6. Holding Back the Years by Simply Red
The most sad/depressing/beautiful song from the 80's.
- 5. 1999 by Prince
They used to play this song all the time at the roller skating rink (totally 80's).
- 4. Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) by Eurythmics
Goota love the synthesizer!
- 3. Take on Me by A-Ha
My favorite video of the decade.
- 2. Billy Jean by Michael Jackson
This should be on every top 10 list.
- 1. Everybody Want to Rule the World by Tears for Fears
My favorite song from my favorite 80's band - I could make a top 10 just for them!
The greatest songs from the greatest decade! I'm still stuck in the 80's!!!
- 10. Something About You by Level 42
Love the chorus - how does he hit those high notes?
- 9. Human Nature by Michael
VASTLY underrated song - I think it's one of his best - beautiful background vocals!
- 8. Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode
Not sure if this is early 90's, but either way it definitely sounds like an 80's synth song.
- 7. I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner
Great ballad from great band. Lots of angst.
- 6. Heart and Soul by T'Pua
It had me at "Something in the moonlight catches my eye".
- 5. I Didn't Mean To Turn You On by Robert Palmer
Great synth. Robert Palmer's voice is one of a kind.
- 4. West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys
Bassline in this is so killer!
- 3. Lovesong by The Cure
Haunting vocals from Robert Smith.
- 2. True Faith by New Order
Great song from the "Bright Lights, Big City" soundtrack (80's movie based on great novel).
- 1. Holding Back the Years by Simply Red
For some reason, this song makes me more wistful than any other from the 80's.
These are more of my personal favorites instead of the obvious (popular) choices.
- 10. Welcome To The Jungle by Guns N Roses
- 9. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
- 8. Walk This Way by Run DMC
- 7. End Of the World by R.E.M.
- 6. Sweet Child O Mine by Guns N Roses
- 5. When Doves Cry by Prince
- 4. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leapord
- 3. Born in The U.S.A. by Bruce Springstein
- 2. Dont Stop Believing by Journey
- 1. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
Honorable Mention: Jump.
- 10. Love Is A Battlefield by Pat Benatar
Just a brilliant power ballad with a classic video.
- 9. I Should Be So Lucky by Kylie Minogue
- 8. Don't You Want Me by Human League
I'll Never Tire Of This Track...ever
- 7. Flashdance(What A Feeling) by Irene Cara
What A Floorfiller
- 6. Hungry Eyes by Eric Carmen
- 5. The Only Way Is Up by Yazz and the Plastic Population
Really really catchy
- 4. Venus by Bananarama
What a great cover version
- 3. Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham!
Just classic pop
- 2. Don't Leave Me This Way by The Communards
- 1. Into The Groove by Madonna
From the fab film Desperatley Seeking Susan, although the song was better
The best songs of the '80s to me are:
- 10. 99 In The Shade by Bon Jovi
Album: New Jersey
- 9. Think About You by Guns N Roses
album: Appetite for Destruction
- 8. I Wanna Be Your Hero by Def Leppard
B side to us release single Animal
- 7. Love Is Alright Tonite by Rick Springfield
album?? *this was the only song that i had listened to of his..this song was on my hit express album*
- 6. Back For More by Ratt
- 5. Crazy Crazy Nights by Kiss
Album: Crazy Nights
- 4. Bringin' On The Heartache by Def Leppard
Album: High n Dry
- 3. Chippin' Away by Night Ranger
From the album: Midnight Madness
- 2. Girl Cant Help It by Journey
from the album Raised on Radio
- 1. Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy by Sammy Hagar
from the album three lock box.
a few of my favorites out of many.
- 10. How Soon Is Now by The Smiths
Just incredible!! Amazing song.....
- 9. Rock The Casbah by The Clash
- 8. Another Day In Paradise by Phil Collins
What a feeling....
- 7. A Question Of Lust by Depeche Mode
- 6. Our House by Madness
- 5. That Was Yesterday by Foreigner
- 4. Save A Prayer by Duran Duran
One of the most beautiful songs ever...
- 3. If You Leave Me Now by Chicago
When you're really in love...
- 2. Forever Young by Alphaville
Makes me cry...
- 1. Broken Wings by Mr. Mister
Simply the best!
By: Music Specialist
- 10. Another One Bites The Dust by Queen
- 9. Fast Car by Tracy Chapman
- 8. Fight The Power by Public Enemy
- 7. We Are The World by U.s.a For Africa
- 6. When Doves Cry by Prince
- 5. I Love Rock N Roll by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
- 4. Every Breath You Take by Police
- 3. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N Roses
- 2. Walk This Way by Run Dmc
- 1. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
By: Paul Alan
- 10. Hysteria (1987) by Def Leppard
I gotta know tonight, if youre alone tonight Cant stop this feeling Cant stop this fire Oh, I get hysterical, hysteria, oh can you feel it? (oh can you feel it? ) Do you believe it? (do you believe it? ) Its such a magical mysteria when you get that feelin (when you get that feelin) Better start believin (better start believin its a) cos its a miracle, oh say you will Ooh babe Hysteria when youre near
- 9. We Built This City (1985) by Starship
Who counts the money underneath the bar Who rides the wrecking ball in two rock guitars Dont tell us you need us, cos were the ship of fools Looking for america, coming through your schools (Im looking out over that golden gate bridge Out on another gorgeous sunny saturday, not seein that bumper to bumper traffic) Dont you remember (member)(member) (whats your favorite radio station, in your favorite radio city The city by the bay, the city that rocks, the city that never sleeps) Marconi plays the mamba, listen to the radio, dont you remember We built this city, we built this city on rock and roll
- 8. Voices Carry (1985) by 'Til Tuesday
In the dark, I like to read his mind But Im frightened of the things I might find Oh, there must be something hes thinking of To tear him away When I tell him that Im falling in love Why does he say Hush, hush keep it down now voices carry
- 7. Head Over Heels (1985) by Tears For Fears
I wanted to be with you alone And talk about the weather But traditions I can trace against the child in your face Won't escape my attention You keep your distance with a system of touch And gentle persuasion I'm lost in admiration could I need you this much Oh, you're wasting my time You're just, just, just wasting time
- 6. The Promise (1988) by When In Rome
I'm sorry, but I'm just thinking of the right words to say. (I promise) I know they don't sound the way I planned them to be. (I promise) But if you wait around a while, I'll make you fall for me, I promise, I promise you I will
- 5. Right On Track (1987) by Breakfast Club
Gonna make a move that knocks you over Watch this turn one's gonna put you away But I'm doing my very best dancing Every time you're looking the other way I could move out to the left for a while I could slide to the right for a while I could get up and back Right on track But is right on track Is that gonna get you back
- 4. Wild Wild Life (1986) by Talking Heads
Check out mr. businessman Oh, ho ho He bought some wild, wild life On the way to the stock exchange Oh, ho ho He got some wild, wild life Break it up when he opens the door Whoahoho Hes doin wild, wild life I know thats the way you like it Wo ho Living wild, wild life
- 3. Don't Dream It's Over (19860 by Crowded House
There is freedom within - There is freedom without Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup There's a battle ahead - Many battles are lost But you'll never see the end of the road while you're traveling with me
- 2. A Little Respect (1988) by Erasure
I try to discover A little something to make me sweeter Oh baby refrain from breaking my heart Im so in love with you Ill be forever blue That you give me no reason Why youre making me work so hard
- 1. Things Can Only Get Better (1985) by Howard Jones
And do you feel scared - I do And I won't stop and falter And if we threw it all away Things can only get better
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.