In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. Breaking In Us In Two by Joe Jackson
Infectious beyond belief.
- 9. If You Love Somebody Set Them Free by Sting
A stud in his prime.
- 8. This Is The Time by Billy Joel
"Stay with me baby, I got plans for you."
- 7. Women In Chains by Tears For Fears W/ Oletta Adams
Incredible, incredible song.
- 6. It's The End Of The World As We Know It by R.E.M.
The best band of the 80's that everyone discounts today. The apocalypse never sounded so good.
- 5. With Or Without You by U2
Second best band of the decade and for good reason.
- 4. Sunset Grill by Don Henley
Why is it that the biggest a**holes make the best music?
- 3. Tom Sawyer by Rush
It's been played to death, but it's still a modern day warrior.
- 2. I.G.Y. (International Geophysical Year) by Donald Fagen
Hope springs eternal.
- 1. Have I Told You Lately by Van Morrison
An absolutely perfect love song from a master craftsman.
One man's point of view.
- 10. If You Leave by Omd
Sniff, sniff, I hated the prom scene in pretty in pink but this song made it better
- 9. True by Spandau Ballet
Makes me feel Sixteen Candles- nostalgic
- 8. Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran
Stupid lyrics but still a good song
- 7. Don't You Wan't Me by Human League
Sad love/hate song
- 6. Take On Me by A-ha
The beat is classic 80's and the vid is awesome
- 5. Don't Stop Believin by Journey
- 4. Into The Groove by Madonna
Madonna in her finest
- 3. Thriller by Michael Jackson
Great dance, michael is still the king of pop
- 2. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
My eighth grade graduation song-lol
- 1. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
" touch me baby, tainted love"
I am a serious 80's addict, and I'm 13!!! lots of kids in my class are the same way, too
By: Paul Ost
- 10. A Kick In The Heart by Kim Carnes
You can keep Bette Davis Eyes. Cafe Racers is one of the most underappreciated albums from the 1980's.
- 9. Missing You by John Waite
Loved the Baby's but not as much as I loved this song.
- 8. Brass In Pocket (I'm Special) by Pretenders
Technically released in 1979 but it didn't chart until 1980 so I included here. I'm ready when you are probably is the ending lyric of any song from the 1980's.
- 7. Please Be The One by Karla Bonoff
Would some please be the one to tell me why Karla Bonoff received so little recognition? Haunting vocal from 1982's Wild Heart of The Young album.
- 6. Into The Night by Benny Mardones
How else can say they were a one hit wonder two times (1980 and 1989) with the same song?
- 5. Tunnel of Love by Bruce Springsteen
All I need to do is close my eyes and I am carried away to the Jersey shore....
- 4. You Know The Rest by 'til Tuesday
Technically, I love everything they did but this was the stand out cut from the Voices Carry album. Aimee Mann is sheer heaven!
- 3. Trouble by Lindsey Buckingham
Why couldn't he do more songs like this?
- 2. Gypsy by Fleetwood Mac
And the video was killer! Stevie's finest hour!
- 1. I Can't Tell You Why by The Eagles
Poco's loss (Timothy B Schmit) is Eagles gain!
Okay some of these might considered out there.
By: Derik J.
When people think about music from the 80s they automatically think of hair bands. So many people overlook the REALLY good music of the 80s.
By: Marouan Samir
- 10. Sunglasses At Night by Corey Heart
My sun song I can't spend a day without listening to it
- 9. Valentine by T'Pau
The love is powerful two in the 80's with carole
- 8. The Final Countdown by Europe
I can't imagine the 80's without this song
- 7. Rock Me Amadeus by Falco
Aiiii.....Oooooh ooooh ooooooh
- 6. Tell It To My Heart by Taylore Dayne
Two beautiful things a magic sound & beautiful woman
- 5. The Great Commandmant by Camouflage
Great & strange like a riddle
- 4. Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins
We just have to remember top gun...
- 3. In The Heat Of The Night by Sandra
A hot song and I like it more in the heat of night
- 2. You're The Voice by John Farnham
One of the most powerful hits ever
- 1. Big In Japan by Alphaville
It's really a big song in the 80's
That what I call the 80's greatest hits forever & ever.
By: Josh Hanus
I was a fan of more the dance, R & B hits of the 80's. I wish my city had a station that played them and not just the same rotation of 80's songs, i.e Duran Duran, Men Without Hats.
By: Sanosuke Sudesh
- 10. Wanted Dead Or Alive by Bon Jovi
The lyrics are fitting for all occasions past and present
- 9. Heart by Never
Never knew a woman could play a guitar like that
- 8. Still Havent Found What I'm Looking For by U2
- 7. Dirty Diana by Michael Jackson Feat. Slash On Guitar
Michael at his best and slash as himself
- 6. Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor
Rocky - Adriannnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!
- 5. Running With The Devil by Van Halen
- 4. If I Closed My Eyes Forever by Ozzy Osbourne And Lita Ford
- 3. In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins
One of the best damn make out songs ever
- 2. Angel by Judas Priest
Harmonies and lyrics off the chain
- 1. Hells Bells by AC/DC
Guitar lyrics wow these are songs that touch your heart
By: Rowland Eturma
- 10. Self Control by Laura Branigan
Oh,man she sure was sexy on the video of this song, but her star waned and she died recently. Laura Branigan will always be remembered for this song.
- 9. Sister Christian by Night Ranger
The 80s will never be complete without this song. It was so good that it got included in the GTA: Vice City game soundtrack and the movie boogie nights.
- 8. You Belong To The City by Glenn Frey
You dressed like Don Johnson in Miami Vice. Y had on white loafers and tried to imagine what it felt like to be a very rich drug-dealer with a Ferrari,yacht and cool millions and tons of chicks. And you loved this song to death.
- 7. The Boys Of Summer by Don Henley
In those summer days you were a beach bum. You never cared for anything other than the sea,sun and sand. and you played this song out real loud.
- 6. Never Surrender by Corey Hart
The unofficial theme of the rebellious 80's youth and canada's contribution to the music theme.
- 5. Rio by Duran Duran
The British invasion was headlined by the fab five with music and fashion to boot!
- 4. Slave To Love by Bryan Ferry
Probably the coolest Brit in the world. Bryan Ferry brings class to music. And who can forget 9 & 1/2 weeks?
- 3. It Doesn't Have To Be This Way by The Blow Monkeys
They say "the doctor" is gay but in the eighties, this song was big!
- 2. Hazy Shade Of Winter by The Bangles
If you loved the brat pack of the eighties, you wouldn't forget this song from the movie less than zero.
- 1. Drive by The Cars
The late Benjamin Orr sang this one for The Cars and it's one of the best classic ballads ever.
I have so much more favorites and I wasn't able to include INXS and Honeymoon Suite plus those from the perennial 80s favorite Top Gun songs or from Pretty In Pink. If you loved the 80s, you'll love all the songs.
By: DJBugman - Ed C.
- 10. Saved My Life by Fee Waybill
The ever entertaining Tubes front man scores with this solo effort called Read My Lips.
- 9. Burnin' For You by Blue Oyster Cult
This song defines 80s rock.
- 8. Hysteria by Def Leppard
While Armageddon It was the party song, this effort shows gobs of emotion.
- 7. Do The Dance by The A's
Another Philly band steps up to the plate.
- 6. No Better Feeling by 707
Put this on while driving.
- 5. Amore by The Hooters
A great rep of the Philly Sound.
- 4. She Sheila by The Producers
Drum fills on another level...
- 3. Ready To Rock by Michael Schenker Group
THE Perfect rock anthem.
- 2. Feel It Again by Honeymoon Suite
One of the coolest songs ever written.
- 1. Armageddon It by Def Leppard
Guitar Rock Masterpiece, probably the best party song ever.
These are MY favorites from the 80s, In no certain order. Enjoy!
- 10. Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Queen
- 9. Tempted by Squeeze
- 8. Cuts Like A Knife by Bryan Adams
- 7. Synchronicity II by Police
- 6. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N Roses
- 5. When You Close Your Eyes by Night Ranger
- 4. Where the Streets Have No Name by U2
- 3. In a Big Country by Big Country
- 2. Stone in Love by Journey
- 1. Don't Change by INXS
- 10. For Your Eyes Only by Sheena Easton.
From the Heart with Love, 007.
- 9. Every Breath You Take by The Police
Magic, Magic, Magic...
- 8. Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners
Classic 80's number.
- 7. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
Simply a Beautiful 80's Ballad. Listened to it Time After Time.
- 6. 99 Luftballoons by Nena
Awesome German Song. Nena Oozed Sex Appeal.
- 5. If You Leave by OMD
Pretty, and not just in Pink.
- 4. Take On Me by a-ha
Unforgettable Song and Music Video.
- 3. We Will Together by Eurogliders
- 2. Gold/True/I’ll Fly for You by Spandau Ballet
Great Music from the Finest Band of this Decade.
- 1. Waiting For a Star To Fall by Boy Meets Girl
My Favourite Song from the Incomparable 80's. Superlative Sax.
The 80's. Thankyou for the Music.
By: Maggie's 80's
- 10. Under the Milky Way by The Church
Bands that begin with "The"
- 9. Boys Don't Cry by The Cure
- 8. Blood and Roses by The Smithereens
- 7. London Calling by The Clash
- 6. Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) by Eurythmics
- 5. Once in A Lifetime by Talking Heads
- 4. Private Idaho by B-52's
and now for the southern bands...
- 3. It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) by REM
- 2. Gloria by U2
(My Irish roots are showing)
- 1. Invisible Sun by The Police
By: Stephanie Pike
- 10. Head Over Heels by The Go-Go's
- 9. Let's Dance by David Bowie
- 8. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2
- 7. Pop Muzik by M
- 6. Get It On (Bang a Gong) by Power Station
- 5. Built for Speed by Stray Cats
- 4. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough by Michael Jackson
- 3. What I Like About You by The Romantics
- 2. Rock The Casbah by The Clash
- 1. She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult
- 10. Blue Beard by Cocteau Twins
Love her voice
- 9. April Skies by Jesus And Mary Chain
So much power in this song
- 8. Jewel by Cranes
Dark,dark,dark... It's all dark
- 7. Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
I love you Cristina
- 6. True Faith by New Order
I Fell so extraordinary...
- 5. Ashes To Ashes by David Bowie
Well, it's Bowie in his best
- 4. There´s A Light That Never Go Out by The Smiths
I hope... Masterpiece from THE POET.
- 3. Dear Prudence by Siouxsie And The Banshees
Beautiful from a DIVA
- 2. Where´s My Mind by Pixies
About the way, where´s my mind ?
- 1. A Forest by The Cure
I was so lost...
You know what? I´m a happy guy
- 10. Porroh Man by Big Country
- 9. Save It For Later by English Beat
- 8. Where Is My Mind? by Pixies
- 7. Call Of The West by Wall Of Voodoo
- 6. Love Removal Machine by The Cult
- 5. Dominion/Mother Russia by The Sisters Of Mercy
- 4. Reptile by The Church
- 3. Invisible Sun by The Police
- 2. Wishing Well by Bob Mould
- 1. The Order Of Death by P.i.L.
My top 10 80s songs. I would have put all Michael Jackson songs (I'm an obsessed fan), but I decided to mix it up a little :)
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.