In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
The 80`s was THE Best!!!!! Listening to all the 80`s song brings back only good memories! There were so much favourites, that it was extremely hard to chhose the top 10.
- 10. Back On The Chain Gang by The Pretenders
Mom let me stay up late to watch the 1st night of MTV...this is the only video that I can remember watching!
- 9. Call Me by Blondie
No list would be complete without Debby Harry....plus, American Gigolo welcomed in the 80's!!
- 8. Hold Me Now by The Thompson Twins
The Thompson Twins not only sounded cool, but they had the best hair outside Flock Of Seagulls!!
- 7. Our House by Madness
Loved this video as a kid!!
- 6. Just Like Heaven by The Cure
Ahh, how I love Robert Smith!!!
- 5. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
This song always takes me back!!
- 4. With Or Without You by U2
Really any song off Joshua Tree is amazing!
- 3. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
The Breakfast Club is one of the best films EVER!!
- 2. This Charming Man by The Smiths
Johnny Marr was my first crush...and I still fancy him!!
- 1. Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners
The BEST tune of the 80's!!
- 10. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Jefferson Starship
- 9. Nothing's Gonna Change My Love by Glen Medeiros
- 8. I Will Be Right Here Waiting For You by Richard Marx
- 7. A Good Heart by Feargal Sharkey
- 6. Everything I Own by Boy George
- 5. We Are The World by USA for Africa
- 4. I Should Have Known Better by Jim Diamond
- 3. Arthur's Theme by Christopher Cross
- 2. Keep On Loving You by REO Speedwagon
- 1. The Flame by Cheap Trick
Songs are not in order... Romantic passion of the Eighties Love this music :)
- 10. His Eyes by Pseudo Echo
A chilling synthpop groove, icy and energetic. [1983, Australia]
- 9. This Is Not A Love Song by Public Image Ltd.
From John Lydon's post-Pistols group, a sarcastic song with a catchy bass line and irritatingly lovable vocals from the former Mr. Rotten [1983, U.K.]
- 8. Should I Stay Or Should I Go by The Clash
Another simple unforgettable rock tune, sung with attitude by Mick Jones. [1982, U.K.]
- 7. A Beat For You by Pseudo Echo
A haunting and infectious song, the lyrics are simple but emotional and perfectly suited to Brian Canham's voice. [1983, Australia]
- 6. Kid by The Pretenders
Chrissie Hynde has a gorgeous voice and this song's beautifully poignant lyrics are also special. [1980, U.K.]
- 5. Whip It by Devo
A song which I find highly amusing and yet addictive. [1980, U.S.A.]
- 4. Wild Wild Life by Talking Heads
Just such a cool, groovy mood-lifting song, by one of the best and most original post-punk groups. [1986, U.S.A.]
- 3. Lowest Common Dominator by Richard Hell & The Voidoids
Not as brilliant as Blank Generation, but a very good, catchy song, driven by Richard's unique vocals. [1982, U.S.A.]
- 2. Fairytale Of New York by The Pogues
A gorgeous and humorous romance with a sweeping melody. Shane MacGowan can really sing from his heart. [1988, U.K.]
- 1. Rock The Casbah by The Clash
Accurate political satire paired with an infectious beat. [1982, U.K.]
I would say I prefer what groups like The Clash and The Voidoids did in the 70s, but they were still at the top of the game in the 80s.
By: Eric H
- 10. Start Me Up by The Rolling Stones
Stones deserve this spot just due to that fact that a woman could "make a dead man cum"!
- 9. Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol
How could you have a list of top 80's song without Billy Idol? YOU CAN'T! That's why this song is on it. Another iconic song that had legs.
- 8. I Ran by A Flock Of Seagulls
Everybody and their grandmother has heard this song. It's still played by cover bands and at Karaoke bars. It was ground breaking and original
- 7. With Or Without You by U2
U2 is 1 of those iconic bands that are ageless. Like Aerosmith and the Stones, U2 kept making great music. This song is 1 of their best and moved allot of people
- 6. Thriller by Michael Jackson
Well...the #s speak for themselves. 23 million albums sold. Hard to argue with that. Not to mention it was a landmark in American pop music ...let alone the video
- 5. Drive by The Cars
It's a shame that this group called it quits. With Ric Ocasek and Benjamin Orr singing lead on this song, how could you ignore how moving and haunting this song was. It still holds up today under any standards
- 4. I Can't Go For That (No Can Do) by Hall & Oates
Remember when Hall & Oates ruled the airways. Their harmony and distinct brand of writting made them a favorite anywhere. This bass riff is so cool, and 1 of the most famous that's being sampled by all kinds of artists.
- 3. Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
So Catchy. Great video. This song would have been HUGE...even without Captain Lou Albano
- 2. Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield
This guy could get any chick he wanted. Yet all he could yearn for, was Jessie's girl. Come on Rick get a girl!! Tons of talent, but his fire burn hot and fast. He had everyone singing this song up to the present
- 1. Every Breath You Take by The Police
The Police were the beggest band in the early 80's and this song may have been overplayed..but there's a reason....Restraining Orders were never so Romantic
Naturally, I'll have allot of argument about the list in general or maybe even the order. But I remeber the 80's really well, and music was such an intrical part of my life. I remember how each of these songs affected me and how they affected others. Didn't say I was right...just hopefully informed. Have to give Honorable mention to Bon Jovi too with Livin On a Prayer
By: STU LOWE
- 10. Run Run Away by Slade
Showed the true music of the band
- 9. Thats Life And Love by Officers And Gentlemen
Massive radio hit
- 8. Golden Touch by Rose Royce
Should have been a huge hit
- 7. Thinking Of You by Sister Sledge
Great Nile Rogers influence
- 6. The Model by Kraftwerk
Started off as a B Side
- 5. Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode
The ulitimate electric track
- 4. Real Gone Kid by Deacon Blue
- 3. This Time by Brian Adams
You know its on
- 2. We Close Our Eyes by Go West
Produced by mega producer Gary Stephenson
- 1. A Little Respect by Erasure
Great dance and radio track
Influences of the 80's
By: Ola Ogunye
I Love the 80s! Its hard to pick!
- 10. Go Insane by Lindsey Buckingham
very obscure - but i loved it!
- 9. (Just Like) Starting Over by John Lennon
i adored this song. so sweet.
- 8. Rock Me Amadeus by Falco
It was between this one and Sister Christian - I couldn't leave RMA out. I LOVE this tune - I'm a classical musician so go fig. I don't know whether it was cooler that you couldn't understand him or what but he was def cool!
- 7. Taken In by Mike & The Mechanics
Just simply adored this song - reminds me of someone (ah, sweet, stupid youth! lol)
- 6. Battlestations by Wham
Yeah yeah- I know! This is one of my top favs - it's def a "B" cut but I love it.
- 5. Leave It by Yes
Wow I dug the harmonies on this - such a tapestry of mastery here....highly under-rated!
- 4. Heavy Metal by Don Felder
Very obscure - but loved the movie too! This song simply kicks it.
- 3. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
Loved it then, love it now - my son and I now do the safety dance together. lol Say what you want but it's freaking catchy!
- 2. Rio by Duran Duran
Once again, I can remember where I was when I first heard this - and said WHAT IS THAT?!?!?!?! - we'd never heard anything like it!
- 1. Photograph by Def Leppard
I tried to pick songs where I remember EXACTLY where I was when I first heard them - and wow, this one tops the list!
This was quite difficult to pick - I love 80s music and especially more obscure cuts. You can't really just pick 10. LOL
Tried to share these songs, because I've reviewed almost all the lists, and these songs that I mention here are not listed and they are really nice!
- 10. Dance Hall Days by Wang Chung
Reminds me so much of an 80's disco it was always on classic
- 9. Don't Ask Me by Public Image Limited
Don't ask me cause I dont know!!!!
- 8. Voyage Voyage by Desireless
You dont need to understand the words to know this is a great song
- 7. Magic by The Cars
Makes me wanna dance
- 6. Life's What You Make It by Talk Talk
As the songs says life is what you make it
- 5. Criticize by Alexander O'Neal
Can't you find something else to talk about
- 4. Hey You, Rocksteady Crew by The Rocksteady Crew
I still get goose pimples everytime I hear this
- 3. Love My Way by The Psychedelic Furs
A great pick me up song
- 2. Duel by Propaganda
- 1. It's My Life by Talk Talk
This song is the 80's in a nutshell
The best list by far not as obvious as you think but they are all well worth downloading you will not be disappointed
- 10. The Power Of Love by Jennifer Rush
Better than Celine Dion.
- 9. 9 To 5 by Dolly Parton
- 8. Venus by Bananarama
- 7. Listen To Your Heart by Sonia
Great singer and song.
- 6. Neverending Love by Roxette
Not a well known song but a great one none the less.
- 5. Take On Me by a-ha
Brilliant song and video.
- 4. Manic Monday by Bangles
- 3. Heart and Soul by T'Pau
Brilliant song by the British answer to A-Ha.
- 2. Hand On Your Heart by Kylie Minogue
- 1. Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carlisle
I like the song and I could watch the video on a loop.
This is jut a few of my many favourites
- 10. You Might Think by The Cars
What would the 80s be without a Car song?
- 9. Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield
Everybody wanted Jessie's girl...
- 8. Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams
Ah, remember the days...
- 7. The Look by Roxette
For every girl thats got the look...
- 6. Sharp Dressed Man by ZZ Top
For all those sharped dressed men with slap watches...
- 5. Whip It by Devo
one of the best songs of the 80s... whip it good...
- 4. Addicted To Love by Robert Palmer
Who doesn't remember this song and video...
- 3. Take On Me by a-ha
a-ha... that's all I have to say...
- 2. Like A Virgin by Madonna
For all those who were "touched for the very first time"...
- 1. Back In Black by AC/DC
This song just kicks major a$$ and was a wake up call to rock 'n roll...
Bring Back the 80s
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.