In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Will Gertler
- 10. Picture Book by Simply Red
- 9. Birds Fly (Whisper to a Scream) by The Icicle Works
- 8. Love Like Blood by Killing Joke
- 7. Nova Heart by The Spoons
- 6. When Love Breaks Down by Prefab Sprout
- 5. Bring on the Dancing Horses by Echo & The Bunnymen
- 4. Original Sin by INXS
- 3. A Forest by The Cure
- 2. The Love Parade by The Dream Academy
- 1. Shout by Tears for Fears
- 10. Rosanna by Toto
- 9. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
A little bit of ROCK. (I'm hot, sticky & sweet from my head to my feet, yeah)
- 8. I Want Your Sex by George Michael
Sex is natural, Sex is fun! Sex is best when it's one on one-
- 7. Love Action by The Human League
I believe in truth though I lie a lot-
- 6. Einstein A Go-Go by Landscape
You'd better watch out, you'd better beware! Albert said that E quals MC squared.
- 5. Kiss by Prince
You don't have to be beautiful to turn me on!
- 4. Heart Of Glass by Blondie
Deborah's voice <3
- 3. You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) by Dead Or Alive
Who hasn't danced to it?
- 2. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
Love it :)
- 1. Take On Me by A-HA
I love so many songs from the 80's these are just those i love the most :)
I could make a list 5 minutes from now and it would probably be completely different. There too many songs to pick from. No specific order to this list.
- 10. I Touch Myself by Dyvynls
She was smokin hot and of course this song wasn't about masturbating.
- 9. I Can't Drive 55 by Sammy Hagar
Nothing better to be listening to while stuck on L.A. freeways!
- 8. Everybody Wants to Rule The World by Tears For Fears
Another cool driving in the car song.
- 7. I Ran by Flock of Seagulls
- 6. Big Log by Robert Plant
The best cross country cruising song
- 5. Turbolover by Judas Priest
Cool video to go along with it!
- 4. Limelight by Rush
Makes you want to play a guitar and pretend you're in concert in front of 1000's of screaming fans.
- 3. Silent Lucidity by Queensryche
Awesome power ballad
- 2. Sex Action by L.A. Guns
- 1. Smooth Up In Ya by Bullet Boys
This songs just kicks ass!!!!!
So many more that could be in this list!
By: Ricky Deee
- 10. Two Strong Hearts by John Farnham
I proposed to my then girlfriend (now wife of more than 19 years) while this song was playing - and by the time the song finished, I was no longer a virgin ...
- 9. Make Me Lose Control by Eric Carmen
Just one of those songs where u can just hold your lady and sway gently ... I have never been much of a dancer, so I especially loved those songs where one didn’t need to be.
- 8. Walk Of Life by Dire Straits
Light-hearted "feel good" song. Why can’t anyone write stuff like this anymore?
- 7. Forever Young by Alphaville
This song was released one year to the day after my best friend was killed in a railway accident. For all his friends it became his memorial song.
- 6. Great Southern Land by Icehouse
Icehouse are my all time favourite band, so a couple of theirs were bound to crop up. This one makes a better National Anthem than that banal "Advance Australia Fair", the third and subsequent verses of which are Pommy bootlicking. Great Southern Land tugs the forelock to no-one.
- 5. Learning To Fly by Pink Floyd
The imagery is amazing - Pink Floyd always blended their lyrics and music so that listeners can't help but get a vivid mental image. The music lifts u up and swirls around u - u can almost look down and see the clouds beneath.
- 4. Careless Whisper by George Michael
The first one he did without his sidekick Andrew Ridgeley. And before he became a caricature of himself. A timeless, haunting lament.
- 3. Don’t Forget Me (When I’m Gone) by Glass Tiger
I don’t know why I love this one. Bouncy yet still poignant.
- 2. Take On Me by A-Ha
The vocal range is phenomenal - but I have won a few bets by matching it at Karaoke nights, especially holding the final falsetto "in a day or two". U can’t win drinks on a particular number and not love it.
- 1. Electric Blue by Icehouse
My all-time fave song. It was their most successful commercially, and it’s not hard to see why. Iva Davies should have written a lot more stuff in tandem with John Oates - then Icehouse would have filled out my entire decalogue.
The Eighties was my era. Generation X-ers of the world unite! They just don't write stuff like that anymore. Thank God for Triple M radio and Nero (so I can burn my own arrangements of songs!)
By: Baked Apple Pie
- 10. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
And yes its a song about sex as all great songs are.
- 9. Sweet Dreams (are Made Of This) by Eurythmics
Cello solo, and a cow.
- 8. Fat by Weird Al Yankovic
HAHA, anything that makes fun of Micheal Jackson deserves to be in the top 10.
- 7. Don't Stop Believin' by Journey
Yet again is there need for a comment, I think not!
- 6. Sharp Dressed Man by ZZ Top
Does it need a comment, I think not.
- 5. Jesse's Girl by Rick Springfield
I am stuck in this exact same situation, and yes his name is Jesse. ironic?
- 4. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
Guess what! Its about sex!
- 3. Sweet Child o' Mine by Guns n' Roses
Axel is stupid for not joining Velvet Revolver but that's OK.
- 2. Home Sweet Home by Motley Crue
How the heck do you put those little dots, oh well it is a great song.
- 1. Livin On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
Don't even try to disagree!
By: Nick Peter Ascenzo
- 10. Shake It Up by The Cars
Fantastic track by the cars, another song I kept playing over and over
- 9. All I Want is You by U2
Also a ripping epic, which just builds and builds, great last up song for U2 in the 80's
- 8. Tunnel Of Love by Dire Straits
A ripping epic by the master Mark Knophler, the song just keeps going and going
- 7. Every Breath You Take by The Police
The Police in their finest hour
- 6. Cold As Christmas by Elton John
A song not released, but best track from Too Low for Zero LP
- 5. Radio Ga Ga by Queen
A song I played over and over in 1984, Classic Queen
- 4. I Got You by Split Enz
Best from Split Enz, simple and fantastic
- 3. So Long by Fischer Z
One of the best of 1980, brilliant
- 2. Where the Streets Have No Name by U2
The first track from Joshua Tree, what else can I say.
- 1. With or Without You by U2
A song that changed my life in 1987. Will never forget first time I heard it. Classic
Difficult list with many more missing out, but these tracks I can still listen to today and get the same feeling I got back in the 80's
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.