In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. Join the Chant by Nitzer Ebb
Most people get scared when you play this song. I like to enjoy it with a fine cianti and som fava beans.
- 9. How Soon Is Now? by The Smiths
Another creamer. Loved the tremelo guitar. Morrissey got a bad rap don't you think.
- 8. Blister in the Sun by Violent Femmes
Some one else put this on their list, didn't they?
- 7. Once in a Lifetime by Talking Heads
Their best song in my opinion
- 6. Everyday is Haloween by Ministry
One of the few bands that improved with age.
- 5. Skin Deep by The stranglers
Heard it in Danceteria Too. These guys had some songs on Aural Scuplture
- 4. Lips like Sugar by Echo & The Bunnymen
Instant sex if you put it on in the 80's
- 3. Oh Yeah by Yello
Oh Yeah! you've heard on a gajillion commercials including Mello Yello Soft Drink.
- 2. Din Da Da by George Krantz
Nice drums. You've heard it. It was sampled for Mars Pump up the Volume
- 1. Dominatrix Sleeps Tonight by Dominatrix
Heard it first at danceteria in NYC. There is supposedly a 3/4 bar in the song that was a mistake. Haven't noticed myself.
UB40-Red Red Wine, Cure- Just Like Heaven or Lullabye, Cowboy Junkies- Sweet Jane, Psycodelic Furs- Love My way, Siouxsie And The Banshees- I am a Passenger (80s?)
By: Charlie Panayiotou
- 10. Billy Jean by Michael Jackson
From the days when jacko could really hit it.
- 9. Do They Know Its Christmas by Band Aid
The only ever decent charity single.
- 8. Our House by Madness
The Camden lads strike again!
- 7. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits
Great guitar solo, one of those songs that gets u rocking.
- 6. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
From one of my favourite movies - the breakfast club - this is one of the best love songs ever.
- 5. Take On Me by A-Ha
The second greatest video of the 80's and an excellent song besides.
- 4. Addicted To Love by Robert Palmer
The Lights are on...
- 3. Dancing In The Dark by Bruce Springsteen
Another great song from the Boss.
- 2. Born In The USA by Bruce Springsteen
A rip roaring number even for someone born in England
- 1. You Can Call Me Al by Paul Simon
There ARE angels in the architecture - this record simply cannot be bettered.
This is the second time i've done this but this is my definitive list now -
- 10. Against all odds/One more night by Phil Collins
I love both of these songs and i am so angry that Westlife and Mariah Carey tried to ruin this song.
- 9. Eternal Flame by Bangles
i absolutely adore this song
- 8. True by Spandau Ballet
this is the perfect slow song
- 7. Careless whisper by WHAM!
i just love this song and this band
- 6. Kharma Chameleon by Culture Club
i don't know why this is a classic - it just is
- 5. You're The One That I Want by Olivia newton-john and John Travolta
this just reminds me so much of the film
- 4. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
well we do, don't we?
- 3. Gold by Spandau Ballet
This is another classic which gets us on our feet every time
- 2. Crazy for You by Madonna
I love madonna and this is a great sing along
- 1. Take On Me by A-HA
We go to a wicked 80s club and this is the one song they play without fail
there are so many that i couldn't mention. all i can say is that the 80s made the best music and the best people.
- 10. Brass Monkey by Beastie Boys
the eighties party song that you can still crank up and not look like a cheesball
- 9. Little Red Corvette by Prince
Come on, you guys are forgetting the one's who made the eighties the eighties!
- 8. Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes
- 7. Beat It by Michael Jackson
The gloved one's first song, way back when he was normal
- 6. Oh, Mickey by Toni Basil
If you watch the video, you'll know why
- 5. Footloose by Kenny Loggins
Total Eighties movie, haven't seen this one on the list
- 4. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
It's just as simple as that!
- 3. It's The End Of The World As We Know It by REM
It was the end of the world
- 2. Hot in the City by Billy Idol
Billy Idol is STILL in the eighties
- 1. Come on Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
Completely eighties, completly un-cheesy
- 10. Somebody watching me by Rockwell
Very catchy 80s hit, nice MJ sample
- 9. Jump by Van Halen
How the hell did David Lee Roth do that splits?????good video though, very catchy song
- 8. Rush hour by Jane Wiedlin
Always remember this as the soundtrack to a film License to drive, which was funny in an 80s sort of way, great song
- 7. Glory of Love by Peter Cetera
I loved the Karate Kid movies, and this the soundtrack to Karate Kid II was class
- 6. Power of love by Huey Lewis and the News
From my fav movie of all time, need I say more...great soundtrack
- 5. Who's Jonny? by El de Barge
Wasnt that robot in the movie Short Circuit cute? Admit it...
- 4. Flashdance by Irene Cara
Put on those leg warmers and lets get busy!!!!
- 3. Room in your heart by Living In A Box
Maybe not famed for the love song, but they did a good job none the less
- 2. Tarzan boy by Baltimora
The 80s summed up
- 1. Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye
sexy smooth, not very 80s I think, but a classic
I could have given my top 100 no problem, I know there will be some disagreement, but what the heh. Say it lound and say it proud "I love the 80s"
By: Dustyn Swift
- 10. Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor
Best Pump Up Song Ever.
- 9. Hell's Bells by AC/DC
It's just a damn good song.
- 8. Is This Love? by Whitesnake
I think it's the best love song ever made.
- 7. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
"She was a fast machine she kept my motor clean she was the best damn woman that I've ever seen...."
- 6. Tom Sawyer by Rush
A great song.
- 5. Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne
It truly made Ozzy a star.
- 4. Kashmir by Led Zeppelin
Great late Zeppelin.
- 3. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake
Bes hair metal band of the decade.
- 2. Sweet Child O'Mine by Guns N Roses
Everybody has some one to think of when they hear this song......
- 1. Back In Black by AC/DC
The best song ever made. Ever.
Nothin much else to say.
- 10. Photograph by Def Leppard
- 9. Baby's by Back on my feet again
- 8. Caught Up In You by 38 Special
- 7. Freedom by Wham
- 6. What about Love by Heart
- 5. Magic Power by Triumph
- 4. Heaven by Bryan Adsms
- 3. Shawdows of the Night by Pat Benatar
- 2. Crazy by Ozzy Osbourne
- 1. Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi
Oh Lord.. I love the 80's .... 10 choices is toooooooooo hard
- 10. Armongeddon it by Def Lppard
- 9. Girl, You Really Got Me Now by Van halen
- 8. Lovin Every Minut Of It by Loverboy
- 7. REO Speedwagon by Keep on loving you
- 6. Hotel California by Eagles
- 5. Dr. Feel good by Motley Crew
- 4. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
- 3. You Give Love A Bad Name by Bon Jovi
- 2. Rocked You Like A Hurricane by Scorpions
- 1. Pour Some Sugar On Me/ Photograph by Def Lppard
By: Ryan S. Conley
- 10. Here Comes the Rain Again by The Eurythmics
I'vw always loved this song; Annie's voice is incredible.
- 9. Smooth Operator by Sade
I've loved her ever since, and she's still great.
- 8. Every Breath You Take by The Police
- 7. Take My Breath Away by Berlin
How could anyone not love this song?? One of the most passionate Romantic Songs in history.
- 6. Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush
Still one of my favorite songs of all time.
- 5. Head Over Heels by Tears for Fears
What a great band! This is my favorite song that they did, and I still love it.
- 4. Drive by The Cars
I think this is one of the most romantic and most overlooked songs of the decade.
- 3. Toy Soldier by Martika
I only hear this song once every other year. The last time, I almost ran off the road I was so excited.
- 2. Only the Lonely by The Motels
I loved this group. Suddenly Last Summer was good too, but this song had a haunting quality.
- 1. Careless Whispers by George Michael with Wham!
I LOVE this song. I still get so excited when I hear it. His best song. Ever.
By: Oliver Leggett
- 10. The Only Way is up by Yazz
if you were a kid growing in england in 1988 you'll know why i love to hear this song...perhaps the first song i ever danced to...
- 9. Land Down Under by Men at Work
i'm with everyonelse on this one...
- 8. Oh To be In Love by Kate Bush
i imagine non-bush fans won't have heard this one before, it's so cool
- 7. Johnnie by Fine Young Cannibals
every time i hear this i imagine myself in a bar during the 80s, which is a great thought to experience as of course being born in 1981 i wasn't old enough to go out etc in the 80s, great shame cos the music now is all just so rubbish...
- 6. Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran
i realised the other day when i was watching "Top of the Pops Two" that i really liked this song, it's really great when the chorus kicks in, i like it a lot...
- 5. Rock Me amadeus by Falco
i remember when my dad first got this and used to play it a lot in our front room, i was about 5 then i guess, and now i still often listen to it, and no he wasn't a one-hit wonder, he did loads of cool songs - 'america', 'munich girls' are just two...
- 4. Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits
if you saw the Harry Enfield song, you'll know exactly why i like this one - get the old tennis racquet out is what i say!
- 3. Don't you want me? by Human League
simply the eighties with this cracker...listen to it enough and it'll turn you into "someone new" too...
- 2. Babooshka by Kate Bush
...so you're probably guessing i'm a kate bush fan by now, huh...?
- 1. Roxanne by The Police
they were the kings of the early eighties, and the chorus of this one is simply brilliant
By: Peter Holstett
- 10. Thunder In The Mountains by Toyah
- 9. American Love by Rose Laurens
- 8. Helpless (you took my love) by The Flirts
- 7. Berserker by Gary Numan
- 6. Get Lost Tonight by Fancy
- 5. The Metro by Berlin
- 4. Candy Love by Lilli & Sussie
- 3. Point Of No Return by Nu Shooz
- 2. Flash In The Night by Secret Service
- 1. My Heart Goes Bang by Dead Or Alive
By: Dan Overes
- 10. Tarzan Boy by Baltimora
This song is as pure mindless 80's as it gets!
- 9. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
Dexy's Midnight Runners are the perfect example of an 80's one hit wonder.
- 8. Doctorin' The Tardis by The Timelords
Better than the Gary Glitter original.
- 7. Roam by The B-52's
In high school I worked a lot of early weekend mornings. At the time this song was very popular in the charts and was always on Rick Dee's countdown. After hearing it I was in a good mood for the rest of the day.
- 6. One Night In Bangkok by Murray Head
Need I say more?
- 5. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits
When you want to test a stereo system nothing beats the intro and opening guitar solo of this song at full volume.
- 4. Land Of Confusion by Genesis
The whole album was great, but this one gets the nod for the innovative and unique video.
- 3. Try by Blue Rodeo
A breakthrough hit for Canada's greatest band.
- 2. Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams
When this one comes on the radio you can't help but cranking it up and singing along.
- 1. Boys Of Summer by Don Henley
One of the best songs of all time.
- 10. My Perogative by Bobby Brown
"Ain't nothing wrong with spreading myself around" Classic line from someone with many children.
- 9. Papa Don't Preach by Madonna
One of the best songs of the 80s.
- 8. Keep on Movin' by Soul II Soul
This songs lyrics are so powerful. A great song for moving into the 90s when released in 1989.
- 7. Wishing Well by Terence Trent D'Arby
Great song, makes ya wanna dance.
- 6. Careless Whisper by George Michael
One of his greatest and my personal favorite.
- 5. True by Spandau Ballet
If there ever was a sadder song. I love it.
- 4. Don't you Forget about Me by Simple Minds
No explanation needed. One of the best songs of the 80s.
- 3. Wanna Be Startin Something by Michael Jackson
It makes no sense but a good dance tune.
- 2. Control by Janet Jackson
One of her best albums.
- 1. Purple Rain by Prince
No explanation needed. Most definitely the best of the 80s.
I put these songs in no particular order because again, it's like choosing between your kids. There's so many great 80s songs these are a minute few.
By: Leon Kinsella
- 10. Family Man by Roachford
Reminds me of an old school friend
- 9. Long Hot Summer by The Style Council
Just play it when your with your girlfriend
- 8. Live it up by Metal is Anything
One hit wonders from this Austrialian outfit
- 7. Whenever you need somebody by Rick Astley
One of the best singers pity bout the hair style
- 6. Call Me by Go West
One of the Best Bands of all time you have to agree?
- 5. Love Action by Human League
Classic Love Song or what?
- 4. Rise by PIL
Im sure i seen him making mad faces on the streets one day
- 3. The Sun Always Shines On TV by A-ha
Up there with the classics
- 2. Imagination by Belouis Some
Video absolutely class, been banned for over 14 years now
- 1. Eyes Without A Face by Billy Idol
Best song of the 80's
The 80's where the best decade ever, we will never see days like them again!!!!!
By: Alberto Daniel Russo
- 10. Careless Whisper by Wham!
I think this one should be number one in the top 10 ballads of the 80's.
- 9. Sultans Of Swing by Dire Straits
Well, is very hard to pick only one song from Dire Straits, I pick this one 'cause i think is the first song I've ever heard of them, though this is a 70's song I think.
- 8. Drive by The Cars
This song brings me a lot of cool memories, is like traveling back in time every time I listen it (yeah, that happens with a lot of songs, i know.)
- 7. Everybody Have Fun Tonight by Wang Chung
What can I say? the coolest song of Wang Chung. "Let's go" should also be on this one.
- 6. Electric blue by Icehouse
The best from Icehouse, and I can't forget about "Crazy", "The Kingdom" and "Great southern land".
- 5. Another Day In Paradise/ Do You Remember? by Phil Collins
Every time I listen to these songs it feels like I'm 8 years old again it brings back such good memories...
- 4. Time For Letting Go by Jude Cole
One of the best of Jude Cole, I specially like this one 'cause is about moving on with your life after you break up with a girl, wich is something really hard to do... :(
- 3. Boys Of Summer by Don Henley
This is the song I always listen when I'm coming home from my summer vacations, what can I say, I love it.
- 2. Don't You (forget About Me) by Simple Minds
This comes from the soundtrack of the best movie of the 80's, "The breakfast club".
- 1. Waiting For A Girl Like You by Foreigner
wow... this song is THE SONG of the 80's. Is EXACTLY the song you can sing to your girlfriend when you realize that she's the one you've always waited for.
Here is my top 10 list of the 80's, for those who don't know me, i'm only 18, i know you must be thinking that i'm too young to be listening to this music, but all I have to say is that I started listening to this music when I was inside my mom :), I was born in 1982 so the 80's is MY decade. And of course, I have to say that I'm a "love song fan" and the best love songs ever came from the 80's...
By: Tim Berridge
- 10. Honeythief by Hipsway
Got to have this cracker in here somewhere, infectious groove, great sounds and just a touch of risqueness? Oh come on, think about it!
- 9. Message in a Bottle by The Police
Um Stewart Copeland, need I say more? Oh I need? Well great song and have you any idea how long it took me to play that thing, only to discover he had overdubbed it??? Still one of the best drummers in the world.
- 8. Imagination by Belouis Some
Ah yes...getting dragged up on the dance floor while mourning the fact that my aforemention first love had moved miles away....but this song would be a certainty to get my happy feet on!!!!
- 7. Cry Boy Cry by Blue Zoo
Napster thank you again, without you I would have still been searching for this 80's gem! Probably not a US Hit, but great song, find it if you are into 80's synthy pop with a groove.....only 3 songs left....this is too hard
- 6. Up on the Catwalk by Simple Minds
DRUMS!!!! Yup huge on drums, great huge thumping sound....ok, I remember being on the dance floor to Don't you forget about me, but just to be different I went for Catwalk, even thought it come off possibly the worst album cover ever!
- 5. Somewhere Down That Crazy River by Robbie Robertson
Thank you Napster, not for the last time either! Yes the obsevant amoung you may have picked up a drum theme in places, great groove going here and a cooooool vocal
- 4. Reward by The Teardrop Explodes
Please tell me I am not the nly one who knows this one, it is a true 80s classic, Julian Cope at his mad best
- 3. Save a Prayer by Duran Duran
Ahhh, memories, my first serious girlfriend, a midsummer night, empty house, you can figure out the rest, suffice it to say this song means alot to me! And one of a few Duran songs that could have appeared here, and more memories of me and the aforementioned seeing them on the Rio tour in Dundee, man I got a hard time from my pals for that but I was right, they were great!
- 2. Hyperactive by Thomas Dolby
She blinded me with science?????? No, no, no! This was by far the best Thomas Dolby offering and I only hope you guys got it over there, if not, get napstering while you still can! Awesome groove, imense bassline and funky drums
- 1. Quiet Life by Japan
These come in no particular order and this list represents my top 10 for today, I can possible do a definative one. Japn.....they have been missed so far I think, maybe they didn't do much over that side of the pond, but they were 80s cool over here, Greta band, great song, all drummers out there, get this stuff just to hear one of the most gifted drummers around!
Well the impossible task, but there you go...but a few that really should be mentioned...counting up I have another 10 here! Ok, Tinseltown by The Blue Nile, Madness - Baggy Trousers, Adam and the Ants - Stand & Deliver (he is the dandy highwayman you know) The Smiths - What difference does it make....ok, I better reign myself in here, far too many to mention. Can I just say there should be some rock stuff in there as well, Van Halen in particular, I have to agree with a guy on earlier pages, Pre Sammy Hangover Van Halen, and Ice Cream Man, nice one mate, kudos my way I think :o) Ahh the 80's....great, wheres my new romantic shirt and baggy trousers? You may get another completly different list tomorrow, unless I happen to find a life at the supermarket tonight!
By: Gary Lewis
- 10. Video Killed the Radio Star by The Buggles
what would MTV had been like without their first wild video?
- 9. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
- 8. Life In One Day by Howard Jones
he knew how to lift your spirits
- 7. Material Girl by Madonna
a great bubblegum song with a great video
- 6. You Spin Me by Dead Or Alive
the tune that sticks in your head
- 5. Don't You Want Me by Human League
- 4. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
remember the actual dance
- 3. Melt With You by Modern English
who doesn't know all the words to this song?
- 2. If You Leave by OMD
the orchestral movement is great intertwined with synth
- 1. Lies by The Thompsin Twins
they constantly created new sounds for New Wave
The Thompsin Twins, Howard Jones, Men Without Hats, Book Of Love, Dead Or Alive and ABC where the best things that ever happened to new wave. They're style, hair and music helped create a great era in history
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.