In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Sasho Pinosa
- 10. You Did Cut Me by China Crisis
- 9. Brilliant Mind by Furniture
Chair, table, window, regal, omara.
- 8. State Of The Nation by Industry
Great dead band.
- 7. The Promise by When in Rome
Roma forever (Totti, Batistuta, Delvechio, Montella...)
- 6. Love in Sibiria by Laban
Great danish song.
- 5. First Picture Of You by Lotus Eaters
First picture of a great song.
- 4. Mojca by Klinika Za Cinike
Great slovenian song.
- 3. Story Of The Blues by Mighty Wah
Really mighty song.
- 2. I Ran by Flock of Seagulls
- 1. It's My Life by Talk Talk
Well, that's my little list... Hope you can do something with it.... My name's Sasho Pinosa. Feel free to use it. I do have an e-mail address.... Anyway, I'd be honored to be immortalized on your page...
By: Luv-Ann Betson
- 10. Joanna by Kool and The Gang
My mom used to listen to Kool and the Gang, and she told me that whenever this song played, I would ask her why she didn't name me Joanna... Kids huh?
- 9. I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight by Cutting Crew
- 8. Hands to Heaven by Breathe
When I was in 9th grade, I used to listen to this song over, and over again... until my mom hid the tape from me because she got tired of hearing it!
- 7. She's Like The Wind by Patrick Swayze
I know... you can't believe it! All of my friends and I had huge crushes on him after seeing Dirty Dancing, and couldn't believe that he actually sang that song!
- 6. Purple Rain by Prince
Cheesy movie I guess, but good songs. Purple Rain had to be one of my all time favorite songs by Prince...
- 5. P.Y.T. by Michael Jackson
Don't know if this was ever a top 40 hit for him, but it was a fun song to listen to.
- 4. Young Turks by Rod Stewart
First Rod Stewart song I ever heard, one of the first videos I ever saw on MTV.
- 3. Mr. Telephone Man by New Edition
This was when I was in like 3rd grade, and was just getting into music. I still have this cd and listen to it still...
- 2. Jesse's Girl by Rick Springfield
I can still listen to this song over and over again. Love it!!
- 1. Save a Prayer by Duran Duran
always loved that song, even though I didn't know what it meant until I got older.
It's really hard to pick only 10 songs from the 80's....myself, I had so many different tastes in that decade. I guess, these are just the songs that stand out in my mind right now. Later I'll think, "why didn't I put that song on there instead?" Anyways, good luck with your lists... I am enjoying reading what songs others have put as their favorites...
By: Esmeralda García F.
I love the 80's music is the best Es la mejor musica del mundo y te amo Tears for Fears. VIVA LOS 80
- 10. Right Between the Eyes by Wax
Definitely A Floor Filler with its lyrics.
- 9. Call Me by Go West
Great tune from a very under estimated band of this decade.
- 8. Eyes Without A Face by Billy Idol
Without doubt Billys Best Tune.
- 7. Imagination by Belouis Some
One of those forgotten songs and the video remains banned.
- 6. Digging Your Scene by Blow Monkeys
Should be in eveyones 80s collection.
- 5. Rise by Public Image
Johnny Rotten at his best.
- 4. Whenever You Need Somebody by Rick Astley
This Song Should be Played more often on radio and pubs/clubs.
- 3. Criticize by Alexander O Neal
Best Song of 1987.
- 2. Vienna by Ultravox
Pure Brillance that defines the 80s.
- 1. Live It Up by Mental As Anything
Great Song To Get you in a Party Mood.
ABC The Night You Murdered Love/When Smokey Sings Pure Classics.
- 10. King Without A Crown by ABC
- 9. If You Were Here Tonight by Alexander O'Neill
- 8. Sweet Sixteen by Billy Idol
- 7. Cuddy Toy by Roachford
- 6. Thats The Way It Is by Mel and Kim
- 5. The Beat in Generation by The The
- 4. I Get Weak by Belinda Carlise
- 3. Each Time You Break My Heart by Nick Keman
- 2. If You Let Me Stay by Terence Trent Darby
- 1. Chocalate Girl by Deacon Blue
By: TONNELLE OWENS
- 10. Rumors by Timex Social Club
do you remember this song
- 9. Pop Life by Prince
every hollywood star anthem
- 8. Rasberry Beret by Prince
his best song
- 7. I Wanna Rock With You by Michael Jackson
- 6. Dont Look Any Further by Dennis Edwards
just ask junior mafia and puff daddy
- 5. Say It Again by Jermaine Stewart
- 4. The Girl Is Mine by Michael Jackson & Paul Mccartney
another hit most people missed
- 3. Time Will Reveal by Debarge
- 2. Mama Used To Say by Junior
- 1. Borderline by Madonna
why haven't any rappers sampled this song
im kind of a sleeper picker
- 10. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
Great song achors a great movie. Had to squeeze this song in, wouldn't have been able to forgive myself otherwise.
- 9. Physical by Olivia Newton-John
Go the Aussies!!! I purposely left out Men at Work coz I'm over them...go Livvie!!! Luv that lycra....
- 8. Sacrifice by Elton John
Just scraping in as 80's, such poignancy from master lyricist Bernie and master vocalist Elton...their ability to span decades is immeasurable.
- 7. Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler
The voice, the lyrics and the music....dramatic music at it's best.
- 6. Dear Jessie by Madonna
Her 'Like A Prayer' CD I think is still the greatest female pop album to date - BEAT THAT BRITNEY!!!
- 5. Let's Go Crazy by Prince
You can't have a topten list of the 80's without certain artists, and Mr Purple is one of them!!
- 4. Planet Earth by Duran Duran
Two words...Duran Duran.
- 3. Wonderful Life by Black
Mono-tone singing was the 80's damnit!!! And this is the perfect example as to why it was so widely used.
- 2. Take On Me by A-Ha
Just so damn catchy!!!
- 1. Leave Me Alone by Michael Jackson
The only artist who can make such ass-kickin' music out of very personal lyrics....I LOVE YOU MICHAEL!!!! Bring out your new album already!!!!
- 10. Russian Radio by Red Flag
- 9. Feels Like Heaven by Fiction Factory
- 8. Angel by Fra lippo lippi
- 7. Secret by OMD
- 6. State of the nation by Industry
- 5. True Faith by New Order
- 4. I Like Chopin by Gazebo
- 3. Upside Down by Two Minds Crack
- 2. Together in Electric Dreams by Human League
- 1. The Promise by When In Rome
NEW WAVE Rules!!!!
By: Eusebius J. G. Ong
- 10. Turn Back The Clock by Johnny Hates Jazz
This song reminds me of my childhood. Whenever I listen to it, I will wish that I had the power to 'turn back the clock' to my childhood days and enjoy every minute of it. I bet most of you guys out there will feel the same too.
- 9. Domino Dancing by Pet Shop Boys
I've heard a lot of the duos songs.... but this particular album was my favourite
- 8. Love Will Lead You Back by Taylor Dayne
This still my favourite love song to this very day.
- 7. Rock Me Amadeus by Falco
Techno/Trance music of the '80s
- 6. Through The Barricades by Spandau Ballet
This song was played during my graduation day in 1990. Somehow the lyrics give a wonderful meaning to 'graduation'.
- 5. Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carlisle
Wonder what happened to this talented lady??
- 4. Freedom by Wham
It's such a shame that George and Andrew had to go their seperate ways. Imagine what they'll release if their still together today.
- 3. Maniac Monday by Bangles
This is a song my sister used to play on the car stereo around 1983 while on our way to school on a Monday morning.
- 2. Big in Japan by Alphaville
The music is way to cool.
- 1. Take on me by A-HA
The video clip won an award on the same year of its release
- 10. Out With Her by The Blow Monkeys
Classic from there album Choices!!!!!!1987
- 9. You Little Thief by Fergal Sharky
Most underated singer of the decade
- 8. SOS by ABC
Sad tune about things fallen apart
- 7. Body Talk by Immagination
Remember this one!!!!!
- 6. Calling All The Heros by It Bites
Great song from this band!!One hit wonder
- 5. Beds are Burning by Midnight Oil
Never heard of this Austrialian Band after this song!
- 4. Glass Tiger by Don't Forget Me When Im Gone
A Classic from 1986!!
- 3. The Proclaimers by 500 miles
Still gets played in numerous nightclubs around the globe
- 2. Will Dowling by A Love Supreme
A classic love song
- 1. Jellybeen by The Real thing
I have to admit,im a 80's fanatic!!!!!Without doubt the best era ever and as long as i have the records the memories will stay forever!
- 10. Love shack by B-52's
this song makes me wanna get up and dance
- 9. Mickey by Toni Basil
I like this song! it is so cool...cheerleards all the way
- 8. Manic Monday by Bangels
I have no reason i just like it
- 7. Thriller by Michael Jackson
the video had so many cool dnce moves and the song is awesome
- 6. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def leppard
THIS SONG ROCKS
- 5. Wild Wild West by The escape Club
this is a really good song to dance to
- 4. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
This song is all about us girls
- 3. Crazy For You by Madonna
It is so sweet. it reminds me of a situition i was in before
- 2. Into The Groove by Madonna
this song makes me think of my old boyfriend when we first met
- 1. Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carlisle
The song is one of the best. I love it.
By: Jason Owens
- 10. Were Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister
One of the best songs of all time
- 9. Round and Round by Ratt
I liked the sound of it
- 8. Here I go again by Whitesnake
It has a really good sound to it
- 7. Youth Gone Wild by Skid Row
It has a good sound to it
- 6. Rock of Ages by Def Leppard
It has a good sound to it
- 5. Nothin But A Good Time by Poison
It has a good sound to it
- 4. You Give Love A Bad Name by Bon Jovi
It is a really good song
- 3. Livin On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
I liked it
- 2. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
It was a good song
- 1. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
I think it was the best song of the 80's
By: Dan Sheldon
- 10. Heaven by Bryan Adams
just a good song.
- 9. Never say goodbye by Bon Jovi
I never liked Bon Jovi but this song was the one I got my first kiss to.
- 8. Broken wings by Mr. Mister
- 7. Sign O' the times by Prince
My favorite artist of all time. What a talent. what a song. what lyrics! "funny how a rocket ship explodes, everybody still wants to fly"
- 6. Lately by Stevie Wonder
Jodeci did it good but nothing beats the original. Once again who hasn't been there.
- 5. Too Hot by Kool And The Gang
Another smooth beautiful song. Who hasn't been there. "17 we fell in love, Highschool Sweethearts, love was so brand new"
- 4. Don't you (forget about me) by Simple Minds
See #3 only I have seen the movie. one of the best movies of the 80's
- 3. If You Leave by OMD
Cheesy New Wave. gotta love it. never saw the movie.
- 2. Suddenly last summer by The Motels
What a great voice Martha Davis has. Another smooth track. Another summer track.
- 1. The Boys Of Summer by Don Henley
What a wonderfully smooth track. The video added to it 100%. "out on the road today I saw a deadhead sticker on a cadillac, A little voice inside my head said don't look back, you can never look back" Brilliant!!!
There are way to many to just narrow it down to a list of 10. There are different genres like pop, r&b, Rap, hard rock, heavy metal, new wave, country and more. I used pop as a guide line. I will surely kick myself for not adding certain songs after I submit this. The songs I picked, however, are ones I really like.
By: Marissa Morocco
- 10. Please Please Tell Me Now by Duran Duran
Like somebody said, Duran Duran screamed the 80's, and this is one of their best songs, though I love several of them.
- 9. Down Under by Mean at Work
TRAVELING IN A FRIED-OUT COMBIE, ON A HIPPIE TRAIL, HEAD FULL OF ZOMBIE. I mean, how can you go wrong with a song that starts out like that!!! And it's got a great beat.
- 8. Der Kommisar by After the Fire
One of my very favorites. And it's so European. Dont' turn around, uh-oh, Der Kommisar's in town, uh-oh. The song so reeks of awesomeness!!!
- 7. Fall on Me by REM
This is one that I'd forgotten about, 'til I heard it again on a radio a couple weeks ago. REM all the way.
- 6. Burning Down the House by Talkng Heads
One of the most unusual songs I've ever heard. It's wild, really different. I love it when it comes on the radio when I'm driving.
- 5. Rock Me Amadeus by Falco
Always loved this song. Falco died? Bummer, I didn't know that.
- 4. (Keep Feeling) Fascination by Human League
Everybody seems to like "Don't You Want Me", but I've always like this one the best. It's just a cool song. I like the melody, the beat, and the words.
- 3. Stand by REM
This song is just really positive and always puts me in a good mood whenever I hear it.
- 2. And We Danced by The Hooters
Great song, and it makes we want to dance.
- 1. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
Definately my #1 song of the 80's. Kind of hip and rebellious, like who cares what anybody thinks, let's have fun and be crazy. And I'll never forget the video, with they guy, the girl, and the court jester dancing around through the hills and all over the place...I loved it!!!
All of these songs are awesome as well: Beds Are Burning, by Midnight Oil, one of my favorites; Sex and No More Words, by Berlin; Here Comes the Rain Again, Eurthymics. Romantic song and great video. Pop Music, by M; Wild Wild West, by Escape Club, great lyrics; Broken Wings and Kyrie, both by Mr. Mister; Take on Me, by Ah Ha; She-Bop, by Cyndi Lauper, is that song really what I've heard it's about?; La Isla Bonita, by Madonna, sexy song; Syncronicity 2, The Police; Silent Running, Mike and the Mechanics; Sweet Child o' Mine, Gunz n'Roses. Well, I could go on and on, but I'd better stop now.
By: Curt Hobson
- 10. Starship by We Built This City
- 9. Robert Palmer by Bad Case Of Lovin You
- 8. Escape Club by Wild Wild West
- 7. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts by I Love Rock N' Roll
- 6. A-ha by Take On Me
- 5. AC/DC by Shook Me All Night Long
- 4. B-52's by Love Shack
- 3. Dead Or Alive by You Spin Me Right Round
- 2. Spin Doctors by Little Miss Cant Be Wrong
- 1. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
- 10. Its What You Give by Tesla
Great love song nobody does a love song better thatn a rock band
- 9. Wind Of Change by Scorpions
Was there ever a bad song by the scorps i mean these guys rule
- 8. Beer Drinkers And Hell Raisers by ZZ Top
I nominated it for my High school class song.
- 7. Empire by Queensryche
Good song with alot of truth in it.
- 6. Welcome to the Jungle by Guns N Roses
Just a tough song by a good band and Axl Rose what an artist
- 5. To Whom The Bel Tolls by Metalica
Nothing gets me pumped up to play football like this son does. Just shows the power that Metalica had.
- 4. Pour You Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
Great chick song by Ultimate chick band.
- 3. Fade To Black by Metalica
Suicide song that puts Papa Roach to shame.
- 2. Dont Know What Youve Got (till Its Gone) by Cinderella
great song to win back a lost love.
- 1. Till Loving You by Scorpions
In my opinion of the greatest love songs ever
hey im a 2001 graduate but i love 80's rock played by the mighty 94rock in New Mexico www.94rock.com the 80's were about having fun and not caring thats what i like. Belen high football rules peace im outta here.
By: alan mack
- 10. Kylie Minogue by Never Too Late
This song brings the 80s to a close a pretentious era but we had some fun didnt we
- 9. A-ha by Take On Me
the first best video this song is amazing to dance to
- 8. Cyndi Lauper by True Colors
am amzing song the most beautiful ballad
- 7. Madonna by Into The Groove
by the time this song came out in 1985 the stores had changed to madonna outlets selling laces and bangles. This was the summer of love
- 6. Grace Jones by Slave To The Rhythm
an amazing singer and actress i love grace whatever happened her. She was fab in A view to a Kill
- 5. Rick Astley by Together Forever
what a bore but a brilliant singer had a black mans voice. He was one singer to make it big in america out of stock,aiken and waterman
- 4. Irene Cara by Flashdance
the film had no story but the music was amazing
- 3. The Kids From Fame by Starmaker
i wanna live forever, america im gonna make it. Loved the tv series
- 2. Culture Club by Victims
a beautiful ballad the sort of song you had to search for
- 1. Express Yourself by Madonna
Growing up as a teenager in northern ireland i always thought of madonna as blonde, beautiful and forbidden. This song captures all these feelings i was 18 at the time and in love
Well the 80s bring a misty eye to me now im 29 and i still act like a kid what a magical era. I love the 80s from the beauty of madonna to the drag of boy george. I really wish i could live through this era again. Wasnt that Wedding singer film amazing. Anyone want to chat to me about this please email me
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.