In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Anthony Vetas
- 10. White Wedding by Billy Idol
One of the songs..., I could probably put 3-4 of his songs in this list!
- 9. Billy Jean by Michael Jackson
I really hate Mr. Jackson, but in a list with the best songs of the 80's...., well, he's got to be in it!
- 8. All Cried Out... by Allison Moyet
Great song, I could also have put in the list something from the album Upstairs at Erics (Yazoo)
- 7. Back in Black by AC/DC
I think it's an 80's song? Getting old....
- 6. True by Spandau Ballet
I don't remember if you noticed, the ones that loved Spandau hatet Duran D. and vice versa...., Spandau made some of the dances I had with beautifull young woman special and magic!
- 5. Drive by The Cars
Oh, making out to this song was incredible...., Eva..., where are you now? ;)
- 4. Young guns by Wham
Me and the guys....., PARTY!
- 3. Just Around The Corner by Cock Robin
Hmmm...., makes me dream!
- 2. Wonderful Life by Black
Strange song, a positive title and a sad sad song.......
- 1. Relax by Frankie goes to Hollywood
Do I realy have to comment? The song says it all!
Eurythmics - BTO - Pink Floyd - Elton John - Bowie - Depeche mode - Tears for Fears - Whitesnake - Level 42 - Yes -, and all the others, you made it the best years of my life....., thank you! I probably forgot who really is my favourite, but there is so many of them..., for me all of the above are no. 1's...., and another 20 as well!
- 10. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
Great beat. You can't help singing along to this one.
- 9. People are People by Depeche Mode
I think Rodney King said it best, "Can't we all just get along".
- 8. Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran
The video really made this song. Simon LeBon's wardrobe was outstanding, the colors in the video, the beautiful woman ummmmm beautiful woman.
- 7. Faith by Wham
Put George Michael on the map. It was the song that introduced Limp Bizkit to the masses.
- 6. Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Reminds me of the movie "Body Double" a freakish tale starring Melanie Griffin. Gets me pumped up!
- 5. Need you Tonight by INXS
Really anything off the "Kick" album was fantastic. Never Tear us Apart was a great song too.
- 4. Blue Monday by New Order
This songs sticks out in my mind as the most played tune in the Tijuana clubs back in 87-88. Great beat makes you want to drink and kiss strange women, just be careful and make sure they are women!
- 3. Born in the USA by Bruce Springsteen
It makes you proud to be an American. This song and watching "Top Gun" made me join the Navy!
- 2. Every Breath You Take by The Police
Ahhhh, Summer of 83, vacationing in Florida with my family. The Synchronicity album is perhaps one of the best ever.
- 1. Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi
Perhaps the greatest song in the history of the world, let alone the 80s!
I could make about 4 lists, the 80s were such a revoluntionary time for music and it brings back many great memories. My favorite stuff was the hair bands/glam rock/heavy metal. Poison, Scorpions, Ratt, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, not that was music.
- 10. We Built This City (On Rock & Roll) by Starship
- 9. Brand New Lover by Dead or Alive
- 8. Let My Love Open the Door by Pete Townshend
- 7. Red Hill Mining Town by U2
"We're wounded by fear/ Injured in doubt / I can lose myself / You I can't live without"
- 6. Radiation Vibe by Fountains of Wayne
"But I can still croon/ And make the girls swoon/ Isn't that the way life's supposed to be?"
- 5. Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield
- 4. Synchronicity II by The Police
"Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes"
- 3. The Ghost in You by Psychedelic Furs
- 2. Into the Groove by Madonna
If I had to pick only one Madonna
- 1. Vacation by The Go-Go's
Can't believe no one else has listed this song!
Very difficult to pick just 10. I could list 100!
By: Laura Tabah
- 10. New Order by True Faith
- 9. Cruel Summer by Bananarama
- 8. Let's Here it For the Boy by Denise Williams
- 7. When Doves Cry by Prince
- 6. Time Clock of the Heart by Culture Club
- 5. Need you Tonight by INXS
- 4. Something About You by Level 42
- 3. Human League by Human
- 2. Take on Me by A-ha
- 1. View to Kill by Duran Duran
By: Mehmet YILDIRIM
- 10. Alone by Amorphis
- 9. Hungry by Winger
- 8. Alien Nation by Scorpions
- 7. I'm so hot for you by Twisted Sisters
- 6. Tonight by Twisted Sisters
- 5. The Kids Or Back by Twisted Sisters
- 4. Love Is For Suckers by Twisted Sisters
- 3. Hot love by Twisted Sisters
- 2. The Price by Twisted Sisters
- 1. Wake Up (the Sleeping Giant) by Twisted Sisters
The best songs
- 10. Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
A classic used to be my favorite but I heard more and more better ones but this one will always have a place on my list.
- 9. Juke Box Hero (and all other Foreigner songs) by Foreigner
I love foreigner especially this song!
- 8. Don't Stop Believing by Journey
I love the music in this song and the vocals i love all Journey songs they rock!
- 7. Weird Science by Oingo Boingo
I love this song. Great to sing along to! So fun to dance to! I love all 80's music like this! No songs make me wanna dance like 80's!
- 6. Murray Head by One Night In Bankok
I love when Murray Head is talking during the song, such an awesome song.
- 5. Beds Are Burning by Midnight Oil
Such a cool song great guitar riff!
- 4. The Flame by Cheap Trick
Great slow song, I wish I could sing like he does in this song.
- 3. Puttin on the Ritz by Taco
Such a funny tune sounds great always makes me smile!
- 2. If You Leave by OMD
Another great slow song, best melody ever i just love the instrumentals on this always makes me wanna dance.
- 1. True by Spandau Ballet
Great song to slow dance to wish i was in junior high or high school when this was popular, stupid 90's and 2000 music.
I wish I couldv'e grown up in the 80's just for the fact of the music! All 80's music rocks! Heres some Honorable mentions Don't you want me -Human League and Right Round by Dead Or alive!
- 10. Waiting For A Star To Fall by Boy Meets Girl
In my mind its the greatest 80's love song
- 9. Rumors by Timex Social Club
This is simply a great 80's song from a pretty-unknown band with a great name
- 8. Rio by Duran Duran
Gotta have Duran Duran
- 7. Chains Of Love by Erasure
A lot like Level 42, I always think of it when I think 80's
- 6. Fascination by Human League
perfect name for a truly fascinating song, the variety in the vocals is awesome
- 5. Rocksteady by The Whispers
- 4. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
The melody and vocals make it an essintal 80's classic, its also perfect in the ending of the movie "Real Genius."
- 3. In A Big Country by Big Country
I don't know what it is about this song but everything about it screams 80's to me
- 2. Talking In Your Sleep by The Romantics
Ties into one of my favorite 80's movies, "A Nightmare On Elm Street", its simple yet a great 80's song, lyrics are totally tubular!
- 1. Something About You by Level 42
For some reason its the first song I think of when it comes to the 80's, beautiful vocals and a perfect new wave feeling about it
- 10. Def Lepard by Photograph
Best Def Lepard song, symbolises the soft metal, and really mkaes you love it!
- 9. Glass Tiger by Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone
Beautiful bass beat, and hron section. Song gets me pumped to.
- 8. Icehouse by Electric Blue
Soft rock, sweet beat, nice harmony!
- 7. Phil Colins by Something Happened On The Way To Heaven
The best Phil Colins song in my eyes. Get me pumped, it's got a great chorus beat, very tubular.
- 6. Spandeau Ballet by True
A slow, relxing song. But with great vocals, and harmonizing background vocals. Pure 80's new wave soft rock.
- 5. Survivor by I So High On You
Soft beat, but with the strong voice of survivors lead vocalist. Reminds me of relaxing, and enjoying life.
- 4. Waiting For A Star To Fall by Boy meets Girl
Great pop love song. Plus I love the singers voice, and the mean sax. Good to listen in the rain to.
- 3. Rocksteady by The Whispers
a little disco, motown, and 80's pop mixed for a wild up=tempo 80's smash. The men can groove on stage too.
- 2. Jump by Van Halen
Big hit of 1984, which was one of the bigest years in music, gotta love the great use of keyboards, very upbeat.
- 1. Level 42 by Someting about you
Captures the 80's jam beat, and gives you a good feeling of inspiration while listening. Plus great vocals.
I love 80's music, more than life!
By: Jonathan So
- 10. Once In a Lifetime by Talking Heads
Same as it ever was...
- 9. Don't Change by INXS
Much more fun to listen to than their overly polished later material
- 8. Buffalo Soldier by Bob Marley
- 7. Fall on Me by R.E.M.
- 6. Like a Prayer by Madonna
Perfect pop. Great video!
- 5. Waiting on a Friend by The Rolling Stones
The sax and piano combo is killer!
- 4. No New Tale to Tell by Love and Rockets
I read this was a Jethro Tull homage of some sort? Still, can't beat that flute solo... A great song by a GREAT goth group.
- 3. Alive and Kicking by Simple Minds
MUCH better than that other song they're known for...
- 2. Just Like Heaven by The Cure
The Cure's first and best stab at pop. Great song on a lot of levels.
- 1. The Killing Moon by Echo and the Bunnymen
This song is so much like something the Doors would do, only not as drugged out.
Gene Loves Jezebel - The Motion of Love, Social Distortion - Prison Bound, Psychedelic Furs - The Ghost in You, Dear God - XTC, Bad - U2, Original Sin - INXS, Oblivious - Aztec Camera, Kiss Off - Violent Femmes, Never Say Never - Romeo Void, Train in Vain - The Clash, a lot more...
- 10. A little Respect by Erasure
Erasure is just the music to dance to...
- 9. True Faith-94 by New Order
I also think "Bizzar love triangle" should be in the #9 list
- 8. Head over Heals by Tears for Fears
It is just one of those songs you have to turn all the way up!!!
- 7. West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys
I sing it to the top of my lungs!!!
- 6. Modern Love by David Bowie
what can I say the song is just too cool...
- 5. Just like Heaven by The Cure
Very 80's and very cool! Makes me sigh when I hear it!
- 4. Messages by OMD
I don't know if you have heard this song but it rocks and it is better than "If you Leave" Besides the radio plays it alot...
- 3. New Year's Day by U2
All U2 songs rock! This one is my favorite though!
- 2. New Moon On Monday by Duran Duran
This song just gives me goosbumps and makes me scream every time I hear it!!!
- 1. Srange love by Depeche Mode
Actually all of Depeche Mode's songs are #1!!! Todally legends!
I just want to say that 80's are always going to rock! I forgot to mention that these band also rule:WHEN IN ROME,YAZ,DEAD OR ALIVE,INFORMATION SOCIETY,GO-GO'S,BANGLES,SOFT CELL,THOMPSON TWINS,MODERN ENGLISH,WHAM,CYNDI LAUPER,THE POLICE,THE CLASH,CULTURE CLUB,PSYCHEDELIC FURS,BILLY IDOL,THE SMITHS,OINGO BOINGO,BERLIN,AND CUTTING CREW...
By: Elisio Goncalves
- 10. Nikita by Elton John
- 9. Never Surrender by Corey Hart
- 8. Jump by Van Halen
- 7. Future World by Helloween
- 6. Real Gone Kid by Deacon Blue
- 5. Enola Gay by Orchestral Manoeuvers In The Dark
- 4. If I Was by Midge Ure
- 3. Endless Road by Time Bandits
- 2. Duel by Propaganda
- 1. Together in Electric Dreams by Giorgio Moroder with Philip Oakey
By: Jeff Hevert
- 10. Bon Jovi by Living on a Prayer
Who knew the sequel would follow years later?
- 9. Magic Dance by David Bowie
- 8. White Winged Dove by Stevie Nicks
lots of females on this list huh?
- 7. Dancing on the Ceiling by Lionel Richie
Best party song ever written. Pound Vodka to this song, trust me! Shots only. GreyGoose if you get down.
- 6. Dancing on the Ceiling by Lionel Richie
Everyone wants to get down, makes you wanna hear "ALL NIGHT LONG"
- 5. Goonies Theme by Cindi Lauper
When she barks I...
- 4. 99 Luftballoons by Nina
Almost as good as Toy Soldiers. Is Communism symbolized by those balloons?
- 3. Toy Soldiers by Markita
What ever happened to Markita? Maybe she became Nina?
- 2. West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys
East end boys and West end girls.....WEST END GIRLS
- 1. White Wedding by Billy Idol
I believe the part where he screams "shotgun" may be the pimpest single event in the 80's.
If any aspiring bands are reading this, I have a strong feeling that the 80's would definately make a huge smash in todays music world. Bring it back. I'll be there.
- 10. Photograph by Def Leppard
- 9. Fascination by Human League
crazy, beautiful synth
- 8. Our Lips are Sealed by Go-Go's
upbeat, not unfun
- 7. True by Spandeau Ballet
- 6. Sunglasses at Night by Corey Hart
I don't get it
- 5. Our House by Madness
our mum is so house proud...
- 4. Cruel Summer by Bananarama
cruel, and spooky, butt good
- 3. Talking in Your Sleep by The Romantics
- 2. Something About You by Level 42
smooth vocals, pure magic
- 1. Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears
By: catriona loughran
- 10. Brenda Russel by Piano In The Dark
the start of it is excellent
- 9. Bon Jovi by Blaze Of Glory
young guns was the best film of the 8o's and this song suited it so much
- 8. Chicago by Hard To Say I'm Sorry
good slow dancing song
- 7. The Smiths by How Soon Is Now
deadly! piece of music u could listen when feeling suicidal.
- 6. The Police by Every Breath You Take
- 5. Kayleigh by Marillion
the tune is great on this one and he has one of the most distinctive voices of the 80's
- 4. The Power Of Love by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
this song blows me away
- 3. Sigue Sigue Sputnik by Love Missile F-11
yes! they were freaky but after ferris bueller u would want to play that song while running through ur neighbours gardens!
- 2. Pride by U2
i'm irish, and i think this song will remind me of my country forever, the words are so true, and personally u2 can do no wrong, the 80's was defintely their decade.
- 1. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
i fell in love with the breakfast club and emilio and also this song!
- 10. Sunglasses At Night by Cory Hart
another great canadian with a cool song
- 9. Boy Inside The Man by Tom Cochrane And Red Rider
another incredible song. . .worth the price of admission to his concert
- 8. Cuts Like A Knife by Bryan Adams
great canadian artist; na na naaa na na na na naa na na
- 7. Jump by Van halen
Saw them in concert Edmonton, spring of 1984, the first year the Edmonton Oilers won the cup. David Lee Roth announced to the crowd that the Oilers had won their game in Minnesota that was running simaltaneously with the concert. . .I thought the stadium would fall down from the crowd reaction!
- 6. All Night Long by Lionel Ritchie
what a great artist. . .i miss lionel
- 5. Pick You Up With My Love by Madonna
fun, fun , fun!
- 4. Kiss On My List by Hall And Oates
I know, real cheesey, but what a fun song! The 80s music is fun, and hall and oates is the epitomy of that fun!
- 3. Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes
started off the 80s with this incredible song
- 2. King Of Pain by The Police
incredible lyrics. . .incredible band. . .very fun time in my life.
- 1. Boys Of Summer by Don Henley
Used to be the second song for my basketball team warmup in 85 the year we won a provincial championship. When I hear it, I'm back on the court. . .
The 80s was the best for music. I admit, Im still living there musically. Drove through Utah on New Years, and found an all 80s station out of SLC. . .I thought I was in heaven! Sentimental street From Night Ranger would earn honorable mention for very sentimental reasons.
By: Shawn Collins
- 10. Journey by Don't Stop Believing
One of the greatest bands of all time with one of their greatest songs. Could be switched with Faithfully, Open Arms, Who's Crying Now, or Seperate Ways.
- 9. Poison by Nothing but a Good Time
Yeah I know, girly cheese metal, but I don't care. This song is so fun and so cool that it doesn't matter what Poison was.
- 8. Thomas Dolby by She Blinded me with Science
Its great because its so strange. The video is pretty damn funny too.
- 7. The Police by Every Little Thing she does is Magic
Great video, great song. I always think of this one certain girl when I hear it.
- 6. Soft Cell by Tainted Love
One of those songs that when you hear it, a light bulb goes off in your head and you just have to sing it.
- 5. Simple Minds by Don't you forget about me
Everytime I hear this song I am reminded of how great all those 80's movies were. This song is used perfectly in the Breakfast Club and in my opinion makes the movie 10 times better.
- 4. Extreme by More than Words/Hole Hearted
Extreme was one great band. More than Words was an incredible ballad and Hole Hearted was a pretty rocking tune, one of those awesome jamming in the car songs.
- 3. A-Ha by Take on Me
The A-HA!!! This is one of the best videos ever made and one hella cool song.
- 2. Bon Jovi by Living on a Prayer
No one, and I mean no one can question this song. Jovi was the best 80's band there was, and this is their best song.
- 1. Billy Idol by Dancing with Myself
My favorite song of all time.. Billy Idol was one kick ass artist. From the opening guitar riff to the very end this song kicks ass.
By: Michele Farnsworth
- 10. Rock the Casbah by The Clash
Another good dance tune
- 9. Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran
very alluring song for the times
- 8. Land Down Under by Men at Work
Ok, Ok, all of us 80's brats unanimously love this song
- 7. One Way or Another by Blondie
or Blondie for that matter?
- 6. Sweet Dreams are Made of These by Eurythmics
How can anybody not like Annie Lennox?
- 5. Heart of Rock and Roll by Hewy Lewis
Reminds me of my trip to CA with my friends the year after graduating high school
- 4. Pink Cadillac by Bruce Springstein
The Boss Rules!
- 3. Let's Dance by David Bowie
Another Toad's oldie but goodie!
- 2. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
Still love this song...it's a classic as far as I'm concerned
- 1. Safety Dance by Men without Hats
This was such a great song to dance to at Toad's Place every Wednesday night! (back when I was young enough to stay out that late on a work night)
without a doubt, 80's had the most fun music of any other time
- 10. I Will Follow by U2
Anything by U2 is excellent...including "New Year's Day" and "With Or Without You", but I happen to like "I Will Follow" for its 80's guitar riffs and upbeat style!
- 9. The Power of Love by Huey Lewis and the News
Ok ok..this is not one of the best songs per se, but it is from one of my fave movies of all time, "Back to the Future"--reminds me of the good ol' days in Hill Valley, 1985.
- 8. PYT by Michael Jackson
The King of Pop gets downright groovilicious on this track from the "Thriller" album, letting you get your groove on and party down!
- 7. Rapture by Blondie
One of the first songs to incorporate rap that appealed to a mainstream audience, "Rapture" remains one of those songs where you have to close your eyes, get out on the dancefloor and just let your body be free! Funky, fresh and sexy--like Blondie herself!
- 6. Everybody by Madonna
Madonna's very first single, it became quite a hit in the underground club scene in NYC. The beats and melody are pure 80's but sound great, even today!
- 5. Head Over Heels by Tears for Fears
An incredible song with a great chord structure (despite being in the easy key of "C" that is great to listen to when you're feeling happy!
- 4. Pass the Dutchie by Musical Youth
Very similar in key and style to today's new hit by Shaggy-"It Wasn't Me", Musical Youth gave the 80's an infectious and fun song to dance to.
- 3. Somebody's Watching Me by Rockwell
One of the best 1 hit wonders of the 80's, Rockwell and Michael Jackson on the chorus make this a super song for Halloween or anytime!
- 2. Sweet Dreams Are Made of This by Eurythmics
That fabulous synth bass line gets you groovin! No one can forget Annie Lennox's sultry voice, orange hair and riding crop in the video!
- 1. I Can't Go For That by Hall and Oates
This song definitely encapsulates the 80's--you've got the drum machine in the back, the synthesizers, the sax...it's classic
There are too many songs that could be included on this list...from "I Ran" by Flock of Seagulls, to the songs of the Fixx, B-52's, Billy Joel, Robert Palmer, Janet Jackson and The Go Go's...but I hope you enjoy my picks!
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.