In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. New Drug by Huey Lewis and The News
This is a great song....I was always lookin for new drugs
- 9. China Girl by David Bowie
The begining of this song is my favorite and in the background when they say "oh oh oh oh...Little China girl.
- 8. Lucky Star by Madonna
I love Madonna...This is a great song and video.She looks SEXY
- 7. Eternal Flame by The bangles
This was a great song...One of the classic songs of the 80s.
- 6. Wham Rap by WHAM!
This song is feelgood music..I put it on when i need to feel good
- 5. Cruel Summer by Bananarama
The first time I heard this song was when i saw the karate kid.I had a thing for Bananarama
- 4. Karma Chameleon by Culture Club
Culture Club is one of my favorite bands of the 80s.This song reminds me of early MTV.
- 3. Just Like Heaven by The Cure
They rock...I love this song...The video is great to
- 2. The Reflex by Duran Duran
This video and song are very NEW WAVE.I love the water splashing on all the people
- 1. Weird Science by Oingo Boingo
I love the song,I love the movie,I love 80s music
- 10. Hungry Like a Wolf/Rio by Duran Duran
undisputed king/queens of pop culture! hehe
- 9. Like a Virgin by Madonna
Ok, I liked it, it was everywhere, from the lil' clubs to clothing, it was a trend for a long time
- 8. Born in the USA by Bruce Springsteen
The Boss, was a mainstay in the 80's
- 7. Rock Me Amadeus by Falco
who knew what the hell he was saying but it was a hot tune!
- 6. People are People by Depeche Mode
hell, anything by DM, was golden then! chics dug this band immensely!
- 5. Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
- 4. Land Down Under by Men at Work
- 3. She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby
Wouldn't made it throught 6 grade without this and #4
- 2. One Night in Bangkok by Murray Head
- 1. Every Breath You Take by The Police
or the whole damn album!!
hororable mention to the likes of AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Huey Lewis & the News, Wham, Aerosmith(what a comeback!), Journey, Foreigner, Loverboy(eegk!), INXS, Hall and Oates, Human League, Yes, Debbie Gibson(yuck), U2, and last, but not least the ever bleaching...Michael Jackson
By: Dana and Brian
- 10. Word Up by Cameo
This was one of Brian's picks!
- 9. Life In a Northen Town by Dream Academy
- 8. Welcome to the Jungle by Guns and Roses
My first "favorite" GNR song
- 7. Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi
He was a stud back then, and still is!!
- 6. Just What by The Cars
- 5. Kharma Chamelon by Culture Club
I had some interesting "misheard lyrics" to this song!!
- 4. Whip It by Devo
- 3. Down Under by Men at Work
Vegimite sandwich, lol!!
- 2. Wipe Out by The Fat Boys
- 1. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go by Wham!
Brass Monkey deserves an honerable mention because it caused Brian so much trouble. His mom destroyed the tape after hearing him and his brother repeat "Brass monkey, that funky monkey." over and over again!!! This one's for you mom!
- 10. Battlestation by Wham!
Awesome song!! what more can I say!
- 9. Dancing in the Dark by Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band
I think the album 'Born in the USA' is worth a mention as one of the best albums of the 80s.
- 8. Barbados by The Models
The coolest song. If you can find it - get it!!
- 7. The sun always shines on TV by a-ha
You could put 'Take on me' and 'Hunting high and low' here too.
- 6. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
when I think 80s, i think of Wacko.
- 5. Hold me by Charlie Sexton
Actually the other two could have easily gone here; Impressed and Beats so lonely.
- 4. Close to me by The Cure
- 3. Magic Moment by Lerroy Gibbons
Hard to find song from the movie 'Cocktail'. Thank goodness for the net. It's the song when they are in the nightclub in the Carribean. Groovy ass song.
- 2. Blood On Blood by Bon Jovi
"Racing cars and being cool.............. - the 80s for me. A song about mateship"
- 1. Rain Or Shine by 5 Star
This song still gives me goosebumps when I hear it. Shame it wasn't a huge hit Down Under!!
Best video of the 80s: Thriller, Sledgehammer, Wild Boys, Need you tonight, Stuck with you - Huey Lewis (with Keely Shaye-Smith (Pierce Brosnan's wife) as the hot looking chick on the island)and Dancing in the Dark (with a goobie looking Courtney Cox trying to dance with The Boss).
- 10. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
I really hate Mike now, but looking back it was one really kick-ass song. No one had really heard anything like it - it is a song that makes itself noticed regardless of what's going on at the time.
- 9. Never Let Me Down Again by Depeche Mode
I had to include one DM. It probably sticks out because so much of late 80's music was just sad. To me it is bass + synthesizer mixed to perfection, which New Wave groups of the 80's tried to accompish but often feel a little flat.
- 8. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
This song is truly deceptive...at first you don't know what to expect of it. I consider it the "quinessential" song of the 80's. It's a great group song that wants to make you bounce up and down a lot.
- 7. Vacation by Go-Go's
I think this is the Go-Go's best song I've heard. It's so fun and danceable, how could any woman NOT love it?
- 6. Modern Love by David Bowie
Another underestimated song. What a great dance song...catchy and clever. Nothing can pinnacle David's 70's stuff but it's still great by any standard.
- 5. Girls Just Want to Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
A GREAT girl anthem. I think Cyndi's impact on young girls was underestimated and overshadowed by Madonna who hit shortly after.
- 4. Africa by Toto
I'm not sure what it is about this song...the bass, the flutes - whatever it is it works. Proves there's definately joy in repetition...
- 3. Jack and Diane by John Cougar
I think this is probably the most underrated songs of the 80's. It's simplicity is what makes it great...and definately an unlikely hit.
- 2. It's the End of the World As We Know It by R.E.M.
Ingenious. So unlike anything else before or since...and definately catchier than Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire".
- 1. When Doves Cry by Prince
Lyrically it is not Prince's most creative by far, but the bass and classic melody grabs you and doesn't let go. This is the one song that people who don't like Prince DO like.
Honorable mention goes to Blister in the Sun by Violent Femmes. Most Femmes fan probably groan at this, but I think it's uniqueness still sets it apart to this day.
By: Jason Nicol
- 10. 99 Red Luft Balloons by Nena
- 9. 50 years by Uncanny X Men
All the Australians who went to high school in the eighties will remember this as the snogging song at school socials
- 8. Burn For You by INXS
- 7. Take On Me by A-ha
Best film clip of the eighties
- 6. Do You Really Want To Hurt Me by Culture Club
- 5. You Spin Around (like A Record) by Dead or Alive
- 4. Jessie's Girl by Rick Spingfield
- 3. Hot in the City by Billy Idol
- 2. Ant Music by Adam Ant
- 1. Believe It Not by Joey Scarbury
The best blonde afro in the business with the possible exception of Kim Hughes
By: ignasi calvo
- 10. Der Komisar by Falco
Anything to argue?
- 9. Shine On Your Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd
The psychedelic band did a great long job with this one
- 8. Forever Live And Die by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
One of the best OMD songs, never get tired of it.
- 7. Subway by Peter Murphy
Oh, those synthetizers!!!!!
- 6. The Ghost In You by Psychedelic Furs
Soft and difficult-to-comprehend song, but at the end you get used to it :)
- 5. The Blue Sky by A-ha
A great example of good pop
- 4. I Ran by A Flock of Seagulls
A not well-known band with great songs. Listen to it if you can.
- 3. Always The Sun by The Stranglers
What did happen to The Stranglers to end making theses great songs? I don't know, but they just made them.
- 2. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
Simple Minds played this song not written by them and originally thought to be played by Bryan Ferry. Just amazing.
- 1. No Promises by Icehouse
No comments about this very great song
Don't forget the great bands ever: Camouflage, Roxy Music, Simple Minds, Information Society, AKA, Queen, etc.
By: Scott Hubick
- 10. Crazy by Icehouse
Kind of a theme song for myself!
- 9. Working For A Living by Huey Lewis & The News
Never seem to hear this song enough
- 8. Chinatown Calculation by Doug &The Slugs
These guys were the best pub night band ever!
- 7. Missing You by John Waite
I think that David Wilcox's 90's cover is better.
- 6. Laser Love by After The Fire
Best song on a great lp
- 5. Overkill by Men At Work
The song is better when Colin Hay plays this song solo
- 4. Dreamtime by Daryl Hall
I went thru all lists and found only a honourable mention for Daryl Hall...his "Three Hearts In A Happy Engine Machine" is one the greatest recording ever
- 3. Next Step by Daryl Hall
see #4 comment
- 2. Always Something There To Remind Me by Naked Eyes
I never need to be remind of how much I like this song
- 1. You Can't Hurry Love by Phil Collins
IMO this is the best cover!!!
Only a honourable mention for Daryl Hall....I can't believe it
By: Curtis Wakeman
- 10. Mike and the Mechanics by Silent Running
Very good song!!!
- 9. Cyndi Lauper by Time After Time
Just another one of the best love songs of the 80's
- 8. A-HA by Take on Me
Well i don't know many people who dont like this song.
- 7. This is Fun by Depeche Mode
Just a really cool song from Depeche Mode. Must hear!
- 6. Blasphemous rumours by Depeche Mode
Just a very cool Neo-Goth like song. Sort of depressing but cool keyboards.
- 5. If ever you're in my arms again by Peabo Bryson
Probably one of the sweetest love songs of the 80's. Every time i listen to it, it reminds me of my Ex. :[
- 4. Nobody's Diary by Yaz or Yazoo
A lesser known song in North America but well known in the U.K I love this and i have their only albums "Upstairs at Eric's" and "you and me both" Must Hear!
- 3. Nik Kershaw by Would'ent It Be Good
What a classic hit this is. Another Great song off the 84 album "Human Racing" Must Hear!!
- 2. Special Girl by Eddie Schwartz
Another song i just can't get enough of. I first heard this in 84 off the album "Strike/I've Had Enough" Must hear!!! I love the synths they use on this song.
- 1. I'm Gonna Need A Miracle Tonite by Baron Longfellow
A hit song from the former Andy Kim. When i first heard this song i fell in love with it!! It is from his 84 album "Prisoner By Design" Must hear!!
I love 80's Music!!!
By: dan and kerry
- 10. Soldier Blue by The Cult
Sonic Temple... This is where it all ends!
- 9. No Sleep Till Brooklyn by Beastie Boys
Not good when you have the spins, but an otherwise rockin' song ;-).
- 8. Driver 8 by R.E.M.
The group that defined alternative - they never sold out.
- 7. Regret by New Order
- 6. Pictures of You by The Cure
Ah, that goth ex-girlfriend or boyfriend... makes ya wonder why the teens in the nineties thought they invented goth ;-)!
- 5. Add It Up by Violent Femmes
Reminiscent of a "Die Yuppie Scum!" T-Shirt.
- 4. Back In Black by AC/DC
Yeah! Turn it up!
- 3. Today's Tom Sawyer by Rush
Our new national anthem (?)
- 2. Where You Live by Government Issue
Play it loud!
- 1. Between Something and Nothing by The Ocean Blue
Moshin' to this song was a trip and a half...
Honorable Mention: Money for Nothing - Dire Straits; On Fire - Tone Loc; Dear God - Midge Ure; I am Stretched on Your Grave - Sinead O'Connor; That Voice Again - Peter Gabriel; Oh Yeah - Yello; Heart and Soul - T'Pau; I'm the Man - Anthrax; This Is Not a Lovesong - PIL; Freaks of the Industry - Digital Underground; Joy and Pain - Rob Base and D.J. EZ Rock; Sardines - Junkyard Band (for all you D.C. area go-go fans ;-))
By: Rubi Ramirez
These are my top ten songs and I think they're the best. If you have any comments my e-mail address is email@example.com
By: Rubi Ramirez
My name is Rubi and these are my top ten songs.If you have any comments about my list e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
By: Joseph Pagani
- 10. Rock me Amadeus by Falko
- 9. Hollow by Pantera
Great song if you like metallica, sounds just like em'.
- 8. Paranoid Live with Randy Rhoads by Ozzy
Again Randy Rhoads was simply amazing.
- 7. Battery by Metallica
god they had so many great songs
- 6. Mr. Crowley by Ozzy
Randy Rhoads was amazing
- 5. Bullit Hits the bone by Diamond Earing
One hit wonders, but what a fenaminal song
- 4. The Whole Black Album by Metallica
greatest album of all time.
- 3. Perry Mason by Ozzy
I don't how you could miss that one.
- 2. Sanitarium by Metallica
Also Neglected to mention that one
- 1. Fade to Black by Metallica
very upset you missed that.
By: Ellen Edgerton
- 10. Radio Gaga by Queen
Their last great hit - just the memory of them doing this at Live Aid sends chills up my spine!
- 9. The Look of Love by ABC
Hip Hip Hooray... Yippee Yi Yippee Yi Yayyay!
- 8. Come Back and Stay by Paul Young
What a babe he was
- 7. She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby
- 6. The Unforgettable Fire by U2
U2's last great song before they hit it really big and started to forget who they were.
- 5. True by Spandau Ballet
Ya know, I don't really like this song, but everyone else seemed to like it and you just gotta include it in an Eighties top 10 list.
- 4. White Wedding by Billy Idol
I still haven't told my parents I dug Billy Idol as a teen...they just wouldn't understand.
- 3. Goody Two Shoes by Adam Ant
How anyone could leave this off a top 10 list is beyond me
- 2. Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House
The best of a whole genre of slowish, melancholy ballads from Brit bands...
- 1. A View to a Kill by Duran Duran
Best Bond song ever, their best song ever, and since Duran Duran was THE quintessential Eighties band, I rest my case.
so many bands and songs I had to leave off! Van Halen, Def Leppard, Simple Minds, the Cars, Men at Work, Huey Lewis...
By: Bye-Gon Jinx
- 10. Human by The Human League
I know that when I listen to this song, I always find myself singing it! The way the background music is done is really nice!
- 9. Say It Isn't So by Hall and Oates
I play this song constantly at home, cuz I have 6 80's compilations, and it's on one of them!
- 8. Maniac by Michael Sembello
This song is really awesome! Even though the weird sound effects in it remind me of my homeroom pencil sharpener, still it's really good! The video rules!
- 7. Flashdance...What a Feeling by Irene Cara
I love the 80's, and this is a prime example, from the movie Flashdance.
- 6. When I See You Smile by Bad English
It's a great song, and John Waite's voice is really good in it! I love the beginning part, cuz it actually sends an odd chill up my back...
- 5. Something About You by Level 42
This is another one of the songs I couldn't quite understand, but searched EVERYWHERE for the lyrics...the beat of it just makes me want to dance!
- 4. One Thing Leads to Another by The Fixx
I LOVE this song...it's kinda hard to understand what they say, but I just plain love the sound of this one! I was very happy when I found the lyrics so I could sing with it!!
- 3. Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler
It's such a powerful song! You gotta love it!
- 2. (I Just) Died In Your Arms by Cutting Crew
I think this and Tainted Love are kind of tied for first, but I had to choose! The intro is very distinct, and it just reminds me of my crush!
- 1. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my favorite song in the WHOLE world, I don't care what other songs people play for me, this is the best! I like the strange intro, again cuz I know the song right away when I hear it! Whenever I hear it on the radio, I always sing it...it's usually three in the morning...I'm so bad! :)
I also like the songs "Come Dancing" by The Kinks, "Take On Me" by A-HA, "99 Luftballons" by Nena (I memorized the German lyrics!) "Obsession" by Animotion, and of course "Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles...
By: Jerry Gaughf
- 10. I'm Alive by Love and Rockets
very good song,very cool beat!
- 9. Purple Rain by Prince
Great song with Hendrix like Guitar riffs.I thought this whole album was great! What a talent.
- 8. Beat It by Michael Jackson
Eddie Van Halen on guitar,what more could you want.This song had a real groove to it.It kicked.
- 7. Down Under by Men At Work
Very catchy tunes,this is a band i wish would have stayed together longer.
- 6. The Reflex by Duran Duran
As much as I hate to admit it, this was a very cool song.These guys were alot more talented than people gave them credit for.
- 5. Jump by Van Halen
This whole album was great.One of the best albums of the 80's!
- 4. Don't Dream Its Over by Crowded House
This was a fantastic song,and the video was great!
- 3. Bang A Gong by The Power Station
Never thought that the guys from Duran Duran could jam this much.This is when I liked them alot more. they threw away the bubble gum.
- 2. Sweet Child Of Mine by Guns And Roses
One of my fav. Guns songs,great melody with the hard driving guitar of slash.
- 1. I've Been In Love Before by The Cutting Crew
Great love song,it sends chills down my spine!
By: Denny McCain Jr.
- 10. Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx
This is song was released in 1989 and is one of the best love songs. The song gave closure as we intisipated the 90's
- 9. Don't You Want Me by Jody Watley
A very succesful R&B artist in the late 80's which had a great blend of music! She had the ability to make you dance and to express love in different ways!
- 8. Don't Forget Me (When I'm Gone) by Glass Tiger
This song had some really great lyrics and also had Bryan Adams on back up vocals to capture the value of the song!
- 7. Heart and Soul by T' Pau
Another great "one hit wonder"!!
- 6. I Ran (So Far Away) and Space Age Love Song by A Flock of Seagulls
Both these songs could not be above one another!! A Flock of Seagulls was a "New Wave" sensation that gave us the 80's sound...not too mention the crazy hair!!
- 5. Heaven by Warrant
This song is my favorite "power ballad" and was #1 in the summer of 1989 on top 40 radio!
- 4. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N Roses
A really great song to crank up and to elevate the success of "Appetite for Destruction".
- 3. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
"Hysteria"is one of the best and sucessful albums of the 80's! "Sugar" was very instrumental in Def Leppards breakthrough!
- 2. You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) by Dead or Alive
Can't say enough, just absolutely a great 80's dance song!!
- 1. The Promise by When in Rome
Absolutly my favorite of all time. A great blend of piano, dance beat, and heart behind the lyrics! Shame they didn't have more hits!!
The 80's music had so many great songs and unique artists!! A top ten of the best of the 80's isn't nearly enough to cover this great decade!!!
By: Steve Insley
- 10. The One and Only by Chesney Hawkes
Well - I had to have an incredibly cheesy one in there somewhere!!
- 9. Careless Whisper by Wham!
- 8. The Final Countdown by Europe
There is no finer tune to play air guitar to!!
- 7. Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
Who could argue that this rocks?
- 6. Manhatten Skyline by A-Ha
Again, sounds best on old vinyl played loud! Excellent song with the cunning time signature changes.
- 5. Here I Go Again (USA Remix) by Whitesnake
Sounds best on my old vinyl, but wicked whatever...!
- 4. Breakthru by Queen
Don't know why I like this so much. Probably just cos it has such a driving beat that you can't help but tap a foot!
- 3. Love Walked In by Thunder
In fact, any thunder song from Back Street Symphony should be here!!
- 2. You Are Always On My Mind by Pet Shop Boys
- 1. Sometimes by Erasure
This was the first record I ever bought and still one of my favourites
These aren't in any particular order and I could spend all day name thousands of top tunes from the 80's. These days I tend to listen to the rock stuff from the 80's (Aerosmith, Motley Crue, Thunder, Van Halen, White Lion, Europe, Ratt etc. etc.) but I remember all the pop stuff from being a kid fondly. In fact, I need to get my old records out I think!!
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.