In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Steve Slack
- 10. Scorpions by No One Like You
- 9. Phil Collins by In the Air Tonight
- 8. Whitesnake by Is This Love
- 7. Motley Crue by Live Wire
- 6. Queensryche by I Don't Believe in Love
- 5. Bon Jovi by Runaway
- 4. Bon Jovi by You Give Love a Bad Name
- 3. Journey by Seperate Ways
- 2. Journey by Stone in Love
- 1. Hysteria by Def Leppard
Subject to change on any given day depending on my mood.
- 10. Where the Streets have no Name by U2
This video or hearing the live version of this song rocks.
- 9. True Faith by New Order
I used to think that the day would never come....
- 8. Sweet Child of Mine by Guns N Roses
The opening guitar solo--just thinking about it gets the adrenaline going
- 7. Pink Houses by John Mellencamp
Well Ain't that America for you and me!
- 6. Hysteria by Def Leppard
Too slow to fast dance, too fast to slow dance, too hard for pop, too soft for rock. Somehow I find it just right!
- 5. The Reflex/A View to A Kill by Duran Duran
Bookends of the height of their popularity. I always have their greatest hits in my car.
- 4. St. Elmo's Fire by John Parr
I can feel St. Elmo's fire burning in me!
- 3. And We Danced by The Hooters
Cyndi Lauper's former back up band.
- 2. Never Let Me Down by Depeche Mode
A great song to follow up Simple Minds. There is an awesome mix on the Just Say Yes compilation
- 1. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
Practically every mix tape always starts with this one from the Breakfast Club
Not enough room for My Girl by Chilliwack, Chains of Love by Erasure or You Give Love a Bad Name by Bon Jovi. Party on Chucky G
- 10. Rosie Vela by Magic Smile
Memories!!! and now you can't even get this on CD - Bummer!
- 9. Leaving me Now by Level 42
Love all their stuff too. Difficult choice.
- 8. Looking for Linda by Hue and Cry
His VOICE!!! Could listen to that guy singing 24/7. I couldn't actually choose also love She Makes A Sound.
- 7. Love and Pride by King
Good dance record. Played to death in discos, but never stopped liking it.
- 6. Precious Little Diamond by Fox the Fox
Who. Not even a one hit wonder but like it for the same reasons as song #6
- 5. Grand Master Flash and Melly Mel by White Lines
Memories of Spain with my mate. Good dance record.
- 4. Vienna by Ultravox
Deserved to be no. 1. Ure's voice the best.
- 3. Mantronix by Got to have your love
A real chill out song. Great video.
- 2. Save a Prayer by Duran Duran
Love all Durans stuff. Just has great memories - like to listen to Rio in the dark.
- 1. Ghosts by Japan
Brooding! Just love it.
10 years. Too difficult to choose 10.
By: Ryan O'Donnell
- 10. Take On Me by A-ha
- 9. Workin For The Weekend by Who Cares Its Awsome
- 8. Rainbow In The Dark by Dio
- 7. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Lepard
fires me up
- 6. Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners
- 5. Hearts On Fire by Survivor
rocky training in russia
- 4. Cum On Feel The Noise by Quiet Riot
- 3. We Built This City by Jefferson Starship
oh my god
- 2. Here I Go Again On My Own by Whitesnake
wow give the home run
- 1. The Stroke by Billy Squire
- 10. Australian Crawl by Reckless
sooths the heart,...and makes u wonder about tradition..and how the vcurrent materialism in our society wuill forever erode traditional values
- 9. Sultans Of Swing by Dire Straits
sneaks into the 80s era...i think
- 8. Hey Little Girl by Icehouse
the spark in this song is catchy....firsat time iheard it..i knew it was good...gets better everyday
- 7. It Must Have Been Love by Roxette
try and write a better song..if u do..please email me
- 6. Before Too Long by Paul Kelly
great writer and guitar playing
- 5. Jealous Guy by Roxy Music
a thematic song with a array of terrificly constructed messages within the song
- 4. Boys In Town by Divinyals
- 3. Solid Rock by Goanna
great aussie song......
- 2. Under The Milky Way by The Church
a wonderful collection of images in this song...sorrowful, depressing, charming
- 1. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
you will never feel a song more than you do with this one...such a great tone, mood and mellow voice....10/10
By: Rex Main
- 10. Cars by Gary Newman
Like Blue Monday: I prefer the Fear Factory version, but props to the original!
- 9. Sunglasses At Night by Corey Hard
Corey Hart is da man!
- 8. Revolution Rock by The Clash
The best song off a good album.
- 7. Blue Monday by New Order
Although i like the Orgy remake better, i TOTALLY give props the the original
- 6. Curel Summer by Bananarama
- 5. Send Me An Angel by Real Life
When i hear this song, i always think of Fred Savage, Luke Edwards, and Jenny Lewis skateboarding down the interstate in The Wizard.
- 4. I Ran by A Flock of Seagulls
I never thought I'd meet a girl like you...
- 3. Adam Ant by Strip
"We're just following ancient history, if i strip for you, will you strip for me?"
- 2. Rebel Yell by Billy Idol
MORE MORE MORE!
- 1. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
I love you Cyndi, youre the best
Let me just say that i HATE Come On Eileen, so that will never be on this list. :D
- 10. I Remember You by Skid Row
- 9. 18 And Life by Skid Row
- 8. Downeaster Alexa by Billy Joel
- 7. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndie Lauper
- 6. Kenkraft 400 by Zombie Nation
- 5. One by Metallica
- 4. Every Rose Has It's Thorn by Poison
- 3. Nothing Else Matters by Metallica
- 2. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
- 1. Forever Young by Alphaville
By: Chris Kelly
- 10. If She Knew What She Wants by The Bangles
- 9. Throwing It All Away by Genesis
- 8. Pump Up the Volume by MARRS
- 7. Push It by Salt 'n Pepa
- 6. The Rose by Bette Midler
- 5. Our House by Madness
- 4. Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler
- 3. What Have I Done to Deserve This? by Pet Shop Boys/Dusty Springfield
- 2. I Want to Know What Love Is by Foreigner
- 1. True Faith by New Order
By: Y D
- 10. Rebel Yell by Billy Idol
"...last night my little angel, came pumping on the floor...again, essential elements of rock and roll: bass, fury, implied sex.
- 9. Little Red Corvette by Prince
How ever did they get the "Trojan's" reference past the FCC? Can you *say* that on radio? Or so it seemed when I was young and naive, it didn't get any better than that. Or I hoped it didn't.
- 8. Footloose by Kenny Loggins
So many soundtracks, so little time...Kevin Bacon never recovered from his first burst of stardom (okay, so he's a better actor, now. But "Hollow Man" wasn't nearly as much fun as a tractor race in Kansas now, was it?). But he did last longer than Patrick Swayze.
- 7. If You Leave by OMD
Pretty in Pink...uh oh, forgot to include the Furs. Flashback to Tara doing a proper Brit accent (in Central Texas twang), "Ohmigod, it's the Psychedelic Furs!!!!"
- 6. West End Girls by Pet Shop BoysJ
This song never gets old, for me. "Kicking in chairs and knocking down tables in a restaurant, in a west end town, call the police there's a madman around..."
- 5. Owner of a Lonely Heart by Yes
Same summer, I think, as #4. Definitely reminds me of the same girl.
- 4. Sunglasses at Night by Cory Hart
Ah, high school again. "You got in bed with the guy in shades, I know." Gina Parthum, another long-lost crush. Where'd you disappear to?
- 3. The One I Love & (Don't Go Back to) Rockville by REM
The Essential Band of my college years. First heard "Radio Free Europe" and hated it in 1986. By the time "Losin' My Religion" rolled around in 1991, the album title was a summary of college, and the early 90's that followed graduation.
- 2. Is She Really Goin' Out With Him? by Joe Jackson
"here comes Jeanie with her new boyfriend...they say that looks don't count for much, welllll, there goes your proof..." Best acoustic version of any song ever, on the "Live 1980-1986" album. Particularly poignant when I remember the first time I heard "Stepping Out" was in the company of Sherry, girl I had a major crush on. Who was always dating some gorilla...
- 1. I Think We're Alone Now by Tiffany
Not great music, and a remake at that. But it summed up most of college. Class? No, I want to be with my girlfriend, somewhere away from roommates, professors, homework, parents, the world.
Not necessarily in order...more as they occurred to me. Memories from high school, memories from college. Simple Minds, Simply Red, simply amazing how much music I've listened to. Maybe a 'top 100' list, but who would read all of those? Depeche didn't make the list, nor Berlin. Wait! Time for some editing...
By: Elbert Jackson
- 10. White Knight by Torch Song
cool song off the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 soundtrack
- 9. Hello by Lionel Richie
gives me shivers
- 8. Stages by ZZ Top
- 7. Legs by ZZ Top
- 6. Sharp Dressed Man by ZZ Top
bad ass band
- 5. Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits
sooooooths the soul
- 4. Industrial Disease by Dire Straits
a song only Mark Knopfler could perform
- 3. Solid Rock by Dire Straits
verrrrry cool song
- 2. Telegraph Road by Dire Straits
- 1. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits
great song with the greatest guitar riff intro of all time
MIND WARP- LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH OVER YOUR SHOULDER- CONCRETE BLONDE WORD UP- CAMEO FADEAWAY- BODINES as you can see I am a huge Dire Straits and ZZ TOP fan DIRE STRAITS#1
By: Chad Oehlbeck
- 10. Livin On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
This is one of my favorite Bon Jovi songs ever, I think they need to go back to some of the older stuff.....but I wish them the best of luck anyways
- 9. Foolin by Def leperd
Everytime I hear this song it reminds me of my girlfriend....She loved this song and personally I HATE IT..........sorry Def Leperd
- 8. Master Of Puppets by Metallica
This is one of Metallicas HEAVIEST SONGS, and I love it....it's got one of the best Rythems and heaviest beats I have ever heard in my life
- 7. Mamma i'm Comin home by Ozzy Ozbourne
I am not sure if this is a song from the 80's, but I like it none the less
- 6. Love Bites by Def Leperd
I love this song, it is an awsom Def Leperd song and I can't ever hear it enough
- 5. Fade To Black by Metallica
"Fade to Black" is a song that really tells a story of life it's self and the thoughts of your life.......if you have never heared it, listen to it
- 4. Back In Black by AC/DC
This is one of A/DC most brilliant pieces and I wanted to honor it
- 3. Crazy Train by Ozzy Ozbourne
This is one od Ozzys' best songs and the beginning riff really sets the mood for the rest of the song
- 2. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leperd
This is the all time party song, and everytime it comes on the women go CRAZY
- 1. Sanitarium by Metallica
I think that "Sanitarium" by Metallica was an awsome song and the guitar solo alone is enough to knock your socks off.
Worth a mention: Free Falling - Tom Petty Life Is A Highway - Tom Petty You're The Voice - John Farnham Born In The USA - Bruce Springstein Gumboots - Fred Dagg
By: Frank Lopez
- 10. Borderline by Madonna
This song is good, but spray painting my ride isn't.
- 9. Rhythm of the Night by Debarge
The Last Dragon is the greatest movie ever. Sho'nuff.
- 8. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
Midgets in the video that rules.
- 7. Talk Dirty to Me by Poison
So cheesy but it rocks
- 6. Nasty by Janet Jackson
Janet being sooo Nasty.
- 5. Head over Heels by The Go Go's
I love you Belinda.
- 4. Wanna be Startin' Somethin' by Michael Jackson
King of Pop has to be on the list.
- 3. Purple Rain by Prince
The first album I bought.
- 2. Welcome to the Jungle by Guns N Roses
Axl with his hair teased up isn't cool, but this song is.
- 1. How Soon is Now? by The Smiths
Morrisey being his melodramatic best.
By: Octavio Rodríguez Ch.
- 10. Hollyann by Boston
a powerful album by a powerful group and a powerful song to end it. Too bad the band doesn't believe in videos.
- 9. Superman by REM
I am...I am....I am Superman...and I know what's happenin' (NOT)
- 8. Add It Up by Violent Femmes
I know, the song is old hat, but the uncensored version probably has received more airplay than any other similar song
- 7. Mexican Radio by Wall of Voodoo
Anybody who doubts the genius of Stan Ridgeway only need to listen to the "Call of the West" album
- 6. The Warrior by Scandal (featuring Patty Smyth)
- 5. Punk Rock Girl by Dead Milkmen
Quirky hit that made for decent video airplay
- 4. Blue Monday by New Order
Not much to say about this song, so just dance....
- 3. Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
They had better songs...but they were all recorded in the 70s
- 2. Nemesis by Shreikback
Australia has given the world more than Dawn Fraser and Neighbours
- 1. 99 Luftballons by Nena
Germany...a land of beautiful women...and this one can sing!
The 80s were a great decade for music and featured a lot of diversity from the beginnings of main street hip hop to alternative, heavy rock, and pop rock. There are two types of people in this world...those that love 80s music, and those that loathe it. It was a decade that saw the end of Led Zeppelin...and several years later, the first top ten hit by a San Franciso band that had been around for over 20 years (Grateful Dead and Touch of Grey). The 80s gave us Madonna, Whitney, and a Phil Collins solo album every year. It also marked the end of the Police, any possible Beatles reunion, and the Who's last tour.
- 10. Live To Tell by Madonna
madonna the queen of the 80s
- 9. Simply Irresistible by Robert Palmer
hot hot hot
- 8. Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel
- 7. Beat It by Michael Jackson
thriller what else is there to say
- 6. Foolish Heart by Steve Perry
very soft & sweet love song.
- 5. Together Forever by Rick Ashley
no 80s compilation is complete without Rick Ashley.
- 4. Kiss by Prince
prince at his best!!!!
- 3. Here Comes The Rain Again by Eurythymics
annie lennox! what a voice.Very 80s video
- 2. Maniac by Michael Sembello
typical 80s number with very catchy beat!!!
- 1. Every Breath You Take by The Police
My all time number one!!!very dark and brooding on ly "creep" by radio head even comes close.
the 80s were the era of excesses and that makes it sooooooooooo good
By: Bill Pierce
- 10. Waiting For A Girl Like You by Foreigner
This song instantly takes me back to the early 80's when irony of ironies I was waiting for a "guy"!
- 9. I Ran by Flock Of Seagulls
Cool song by a group with way cool hair!!! Definite 80's material.
- 8. Jeopardy by Greg Kihn Band
Clubs in '83 were playing this song all year it seemed. Love it. (So did Weird Al I guess)
- 7. Too Shy by Kajagoogoo
A friend and I used to joke that we could never find a best of Kajagoogoo CD. Guess what? A year ago I found one. Go figure?? Love this song though.
- 6. True by Spandau Ballet
These boys were pretty and so is the song!
- 5. If You Leave by Orchestral Manoeuvers In The Dark
What a great song by a band that's a bitch to spell!
- 4. Don't You Want Me by Human League
I loved this video. This song is timeless and a New Wave classic!
- 3. I Can't Go For That by Hall and Oates
But I can sure go for this song. Ok, yeah, that was cheesy!
- 2. Hold Me Now by Thompson Twins
My favorite 80's slow song.
- 1. Situation by Yaz
Oh God, I never get tired of this song. It's been remixed and remade dozens of times since its inception. My favorite 80's song ever!!
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.