In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: zara khan
- 10. Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners
a great song,with folk sound.
- 9. Kylie by Loco-motion
- 8. Simply Red by Money's Too Tight To Mention
wicked song,with great video performing in a bar.
- 7. New Sensation by Inxs
a band with great songs and videos with flashy images.
- 6. Let's Dance by David Bowie
a swinging video.great song,brilliant artist with vishuel content,very stylish.
- 5. With Or Without You by U2
it has a mysterious spooky romantic video,the songs the best
- 4. Love Action by Human League
a great video song's great.they were a cool band.
- 3. Rio by Duran Duran
oh wow,glamerous,lovable-catchy,cute guys,i would say billions things,it wouldn't be a best ever glorious-glamourous pure decade without them.
- 2. Red Rain by Peter Gabriel
a great video,a great song,peter is a genius behind this serious song it's fantastic and pure 80's with rocky mystirous feel.brilliant
- 1. I Don't Want A Lover by Texas
they look very young,and played the best music.they were considered as a great brit group,this became a huge hit in 1989,i love it it's catchy and brilliant lyrics.
a brilliant decade,i couldn't put all my fav songs,but these are the great ones.eltro-pop new romantic,fashion,lovely,wicked fun,sexist. evreything evreyones cool.
- 10. Perfect World by Huey Lewis and the News
Keep on dreaming guys....maybe some day...
- 9. Land of Confusion by Genesis
Puppets...but other than that...the song makes so much sense
- 8. Talk Talk by Talk Talk
Probably the only one here who knows that song...I like it..snappy tune
- 7. True by Spandau Ballet
Simple song...Very moving...and the video is a nice compliment
- 6. King of Wishful Thinking by Go West
I agree with every word of the song...
- 5. Out of Touch by Hall and Oates
One of the best duos of the 80s
- 4. We Didn't Start the Fire by Billy Joel
Definitely a good song...should be redone to reflect events since then I think
- 3. Shout by Tears For Fears
I coud sing that lyric over and over and over and over and over and over again
- 2. Shattered Dreams by Johnny Hates Jazz
One hit wonder from Britain...great song..very catchy
- 1. Power of Love by Huey Lewis and the News
Power of Love, Huey Lewis and the News, Back to the Future...that just sums up the 80s in a nutshell...
- 10. Looks That Kill by Motley Crue
- 9. Rainbow In The Dark by Dio
- 8. Balls To The Wall by Accept
- 7. Heavy Metal Shuffle by Kickaxe
- 6. Photograph by Def Leppard
- 5. Ace Of Spades by Motorhead
- 4. Princess Of The Night by Saxon
- 3. Yeah, Right by Girlschool
- 2. Number Of The Beast by Iron Maiden
- 1. Another Thing Coming by Judas Priest
This Is Just A Top 10 Metal List; Maybe Some Top Ten Glam Rock, Ballads And Little Known Good Metal Should Be Out There?
By: Markus Stanley
- 10. Youth Gone Wild by Skid Row
Sebastian Bach and the Skids were the 80s last best hope but the odds were stacked against them.
- 9. Sweet Child of Mine by Guns and Roses
Almost too late for the 80s but in time to forstall the onslaught of Grunge
- 8. Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi
Boy oh boy, what can you say about this one?
- 7. Still of the Night by Whitesnake
David Coverdale personafied the term Rock Star and his voice made the girlies squirm
- 6. L.O.V.E Machine by WASP
Blackie and the boys upped the ante with this one
- 5. Rock You Like A Hurricane by Scorpions
Cock Rock rules
- 4. Take Me To The Top by Motley Crue
Motley Crue set the pace for the glamour and glitz of the decade with this one
- 3. Flying High Again by Ozzy Osbourne
The Ozman rocks and Randy Rhoades became a demigod
- 2. Lunatic Fringe by Red Ryder
This is as close as a pop anthem can get to social commentary
- 1. Ah Leah! by Donny Iris
The vocal harmonies are perfect
Don't forget about Queensryche, Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest or Ratt, DLR, and Van Halen
- 10. New Moon On Monday by Duran Duran
Why is it that their lesser known works are so much better than the ones that got major play in the 80's? More importantly, who cares?
- 9. Hazy Shade Of Winter by The Bangles
Come on, show of hands, how many of you cursed the day they broke up? Right... just me, I guess.
- 8. It's A Sin by Pet Shop Boys
Awesome song from a very pretentious band.
- 7. The Promise by When In Rome
This is not the same song as "A Little Respect" by Erasure
- 6. A Little Respect by Erasure
This is not the same song as "The Promise" by When in Rome.
- 5. The Living Years by Mike and the Mechanics
Um... depressing song.
- 4. Separate Ways by Journey
Hey, All my songs are sorta depressing. Let's see if the trend continues
- 3. The Breakup Song (They Just Don't Write 'em) by Greg Kihn Band
- 2. I Drove All Night by Cyndi Lauper
The best version of a great song.
- 1. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
Lonely Saturday Nights, a bottle of Stoli, and this song on Repeat!
Why is Soft Cell a one-hit wonder? Tainted Love is not a hit! Same goes for Dexy's Midnight Runners, a-Ha, Tommy Tutone, and those guys with the weird hair who played the synthesizers.
- 10. Generals and Majors by XTC
Insightful but cute.
- 9. I Got You by Split Enz
- 8. Antmusic by Adam and the Ants
Do us all a favor- listen to this song if you haven't. EVERYONE should love this!
- 7. The Killing Moon by Echo and the Bunnymen
- 6. Black Celebration by Depeche Mode
Ohh. This song is just atmospheric as it gets.
- 5. A Forest by The Cure
This song is great for road trips at night...so is the album Seventeen Seconds in itself...
- 4. Late Bar by Duran Duran
Stuck in my head for weeks...
- 3. Mental Hopscotch by Missing Persons
This song is fun, and yet so depressing :/
- 2. Bela Lugosi's Dead by Bauhaus
Never forget that fine fine bassline...
- 1. Eighties by Killing Joke
Honorable mentions: "Stripped", Depche Mode/"Peek-A-Boo", Siouxsie and the Banshees/"Everyday (Is Halloween)", Ministry/"Telecommunication", A Flock of Seagulls
- 10. Save A Prayer by Duran Duran
THE best DD song! Oh to be 14 again....
- 9. Push It by Salt N Pepa
The best dance song, always got me on my feet.
- 8. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
I didn't catch how sexual this on was until I was older!
- 7. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
Why is this not on another list. It's on of the best 80's songs!
- 6. Don't Change by INXS
Off the first album. Not sad.
- 5. Invisible by Alison Moyet
Alison Moyet from Yaz...sad song again.
- 4. Bela Lugosi's Dead by Bauhaus
From my darker days. Goth at it's darkest. From the "Hunger" with David Bowie.
- 3. Don't Give Up by Peter Gabriel with Kate Bush
The guy's out of work, depressed but he's holding on. Very sad.
- 2. Is Your Love Strong Enough? by Brian Ferry
Remember the movie "Legend" with Tom Cruise? Sultry, sexy...
- 1. Forever Young by Alphaville
My favorite 80's song! Oh to be 14 again...
I still love 80's music. It was so varied, dance, pop, new wave...I couldn't even get to the punk stuff...the list needs to be longer.
- 10. Def Leppard by Pour Some Sugar On Me
- 9. Fade To Black by Metallica
- 8. Unchained by Van Halen
- 7. Crazy Train by Ozzy
- 6. Master Of Puppets by Metallica
- 5. Paradise City by Guns N Roses
- 4. Thunderstruck by AC/DC
- 3. Looks That Kill by Motley Crue
- 2. Jump by Van Halen
- 1. Sweet Child O Mine by Guns N Roses
- 10. Lullaby by The Cure
love that one
- 9. One by Metallica
- 8. Straight Outta Compton by NWA
pioneers of gangsta rap
- 7. China Girl by David Bowie
- 6. Don't Believe The Hype by Public Enemy
yes, was the start of my last jam
- 5. Atlantic City by Bruce Springsteen
everything dies baby, that's a fact.
- 4. Purple Rain by Prince And The Revolution
who hasn't danced a slow on this one??
- 3. The Message by Grandmaster Flash And The Furious Five
the best rap song ever
- 2. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
love that beat
- 1. Sign O The Times by Prince
this song doesn't age
I also like Depeche Mode- Lie to me,Master and servant,Strangelove,Enjoy the silence,Stripped Other TFF songs I like would be- Mothers Talk,Sowing the seeds of love,The prisoner,Pharoahs
By: Jasper Abraxxis
- 10. Under The Milkyway by The Church
Another popular Australian band...actually the lead singer has been quoted as saying he hates this song because its the only one people remember and he's sick of it being requested at concerts....its a tough like eh? Very catchy, acoustical and slightly gothic, should have been part of The Crow soundtrack.....says I. :)
- 9. It's Raining Again by Supertramp
The song to mark their breakup. Widely held as the most unique sounding band ever, no one sounded anything like them before, or after. Songs like Breakfast In America, The Logical Song (which some morons fucked up royally just recently), Dreamer and Take The Long Way Home were pinnicles of the 70s, It's Raining Again was the mark in the 80s. Hell, anyone who is a lover of music should get their hands on as much Supertramp as possible, the only band I NEVER get sick of.
- 8. Opposites Attract by Paula Abdul
Very funky song, very funky film clip, Bedroom Eyes was catchy, this is even better.
- 7. Break My Stride by Matthew Wilder
Yes, after listening to the shithouse 90s cover version, by some fly by nighter (never to be heard of again, luckily), the original sounds better than ever.
- 6. Crazy In The Night by Kim Carnes
Why anyone bothers with the quite drab Betty Davis Eyes when she released this catchy grabber soon afterwards is beyond me....
- 5. Crying In The Chappel by Peter Blakeley
Another Australian ahead of his time, his 1987 hit employed much of the pop/gospel sounds that were to become very popular in the mid 90s.
- 4. Do You See What I See by Hunters and Collectors
Australia really blossomed in the 70s and 80s (although we were also responsible for the likes of Kylie Minogue and Tina Arena...sorry) and the Hunters and Collectors had their fair share of hits. Do You See What I See was one the best pop/rock tunes they released.
- 3. Private Eyes by Hall & Oates
After hearing what some tone deaf talentless hacks (gaylord boy band) did to their classic 70s song Rich Girl, I had to look back on their other stuff to remind myself how rich their sound was, Private Eyes is a prime example of the sound that comes from experienced songwriters....as apposed to gaylord boy bands..... :)
- 2. Call Me by Blondie
Deborah Harry defined sexy rock, and Call Me was her best.
- 1. Big Time by Peter Gabriel
Peter Gabriel was one of the most innovative singer/songwriters of the 80s and 90s....if this were a 90s top ten then I would have no hesitation in putting in Peter Gabriels emotional masterpiece - Digging In The Dirt, by far my favourate song of all time.
Erm, I played keyboard for 9 years and music is a large part of my life. Im into a bit of everything except rap (crap) techno (was good in the early 80s - Computer Games by MiSex as an example was bordering on techno) and country (yucko... :)).....Most influential artists of the 80s? Definately Peter Gabriel and Billy Joel....
By: Barry O'Sullivan
- 10. Livin On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
- 9. Welcome To The Jungle by Guns N Roses
- 8. Wanted Dead Or Alive by Bon Jovi
- 7. I Still Havent Found What I Am Looking For by U2
- 6. Patience by Guns N Roses
A beatiful ballad, shows GNR's growing maturity
- 5. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
no one will forget this song
- 4. With Or Without You by U2
Absolute Class. Another timeless track
- 3. Paradise City by Guns N Roses
An anthem for the ages. A truly remarkable Rock Song. A timeless classic by one of the most gifted Rock acts ever
- 2. Pride by U2
U2's best song along with One. Bono at his brilliant best
- 1. Sweet Child O'Mine by Guns N Roses
One of the All-time great songs crowned by two awesome guitar solo's by the great Slash. Achingly beautiful
GNR and U2 rocked the 80's. Two exceptional acts in an otherwise bland decade. Not as bad as music is now though
By: s benedetti
seems like there were 3 decades' worth of music in the 80s
By: amy jean.
- 10. Melt With You by Modern English
this is a terrific song. it's beautiful. it reminds me of jon.
- 9. In A Big Country by Big Country
i always thought this song was so rad. it rocks and i like the lyrics. and now it's sad because that guy killed himself. STAY ALIVE!
- 8. We Belong by Pat Benatar
this is such a beautiful song. of course i cry when i hear it.
- 7. She Bop by Cyndi Lauper
i heard this today at my boyfriend's house. it's a fun song.
- 6. Livin On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
jon bon jovi was the first guy i ever had a crush on. this is a great song to sing along to. when i got my first tattoo, this song was on.
- 5. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out by The Smiths
i love the smiths. and this song makes me cry more than any of their other songs. it reminds me of my boyfriend.
- 4. Eyes Without A Face by Billy Idol
this song is beautiful. it makes me cry. and then that rockin part comes on. it's so kick ass!
- 3. Into The Groove by Madonna
madonna has a million amazing songs. this is the song that is the funnest to scream along to.
- 2. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
this is my all time favorite song. it is so much fun to dance around to in my underwear, or whilst drinking in a bar. good times.
- 1. Sunglasses At Night by Corey Hart
this song is so amazing. the lyrics are mindblowing.
i cry alot and really love my boyfriend and everything reminds me of him. and i love a million more songs.
By: Mike Hunt
- 10. Look Of Love by ABC
Cheesy, fun, New Wave!
- 9. Hello. Hooray! by Alice Cooper
What more can i say! Alice! Yes!
- 8. Number Of The Beast by Iron Maiden
fist pumping, riot inducing, mosh pit pandimoniuem! Big Iron Maiden fan! BIG BIG BIG!
- 7. Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Great White
- 6. Winners by Deadsy
A modern New Wave band. Everything the 80's New Wave movement could have been if the bands were more inventive and more bold. Check them out if you can. Their first cd is titled "COMMENCMENT"
- 5. Like A Virgin by Madonna
Great party song!
- 4. One Thing Leads To Another by The Fixx
Sleazy feel too it. Paints a good picture of the trouble and excess of the 80's.
- 3. Our House by Madness
Enerjetic! Tells a story about the fun and pain of growing up.
- 2. Cum On Feel The Noize by Quiet Riot
Fun song to listen too and jam too!
- 1. In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins
What a great song! Very moody and intense. Brings about lots of feelings.
Deadsy! You must check them out!
By: rick parker
- 10. You Might Think by The Cars
one of the first big hits the 80's and one coolest(for it's time) videos.
- 9. Take My Breath Away by Berlin
hard to decide between this and "danger zone" but i can't say enough about how i love this song ,the sountrack it's on and the movie it's featured in.
- 8. Making Love (Out Nothing At All) by Air Supply
this is another one from the jr high days and when girls were starting to become important to me.
- 7. Fight The Power by Public Enemy
this one did not get much if any airplay on radio but i remember it from mtv/much music in canada
- 6. Overjoyed by Stevie Wonder
in my opinion probabley one of the most overlooked ballads of the 80's. reminds strongly of my last days in jr. high
- 5. All Through The Night by Cyndi Lauper
for some reason this song brings back memories of the 80's mini series "v" as does chris de burgs "ship to shore".
- 4. Jump by Van Halen
this song pretty much introduced me the heavier side of music.
- 3. Live To Tell by Madonna
madonna had so many hits during the 80's this one,however, is my personal favorite.
- 2. 99 Red Balloons by Nena
there are two versions of this song one in german and one in english. both are equally enjoyable. says alot about the song.
- 1. You Belong To The City by Glen Frey
like alot songs on this list the songs is strongly tied to either a video or movie/soundtrack. luv this one.
like my 70's list just too many favs too include such as" guess thats why they call it the blues(elton john) radio ga ga (queen) lets go crazy(prince) man in the mirror(micheal jackson) and hard habit to break (chicago)
- 10. All Day Long by New Order
- 9. Butterfly On A Wheel by Mission UK
- 8. I Beg Your Pardon by Kon Kan
- 7. Radio Gaga by Queen
- 6. Pale Shelter by Tears For Fears
- 5. Face To Face Heart To Heart by The Twins
- 4. Right Between The Eyes by Wax
- 3. Always Something There To Remind Me by Spandau Ballet
- 2. Our House by Madness
- 1. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runnerd
By: franck darius
- 10. Love Cats by Simple Mind
- 9. Alone by Heart
- 8. Doctor Doctor by Thomson Twins
- 7. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2
- 6. Let's Dance by David Bowie
- 5. Women In Chain by Tears For Fears
- 4. Always The Sun by Stranglers
- 3. Tell Me Why (more) by Fletwood Mac
- 2. Broken Wings by Mister Mister
- 1. Little Red Corvette by Prince
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.