In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Rose Mae Turner
Other Great Songs Gosh there were sooo many... Just to name a few: Jessie's Girl...Rick Springfield Relax...Frankie Goes To Hollywood Bette Davis Eyes...Kim Carnes Vogue...Madonna Let's Hear It For The Boy...Deniece Williams What's Love Got To Do With It?...Tina Turner Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)...Eurythmics
- 10. If Love Could Kill by Hurrah!
Great single from a band that never got off the ground. "Last night I lay by your side, I didn't mean to mess up your life, with hero stories and little white lies..."
- 9. More To Lose by Seona Dancing
4 minutes of absolute electronic perfection. "We thought with nothing more to lose, we'd tear our hearts with jagged truths..."
- 8. Doot Doot by Freur
The most haunting nearly instrumental song ever written. It appeared on some soundtrack ("Vanilla Sky"?) so it is out there. You won't forget it.
- 7. Let's Go To Bed by The Cure
My high school girlfriend dedicated this song to me on the local college station. The rest, as they say, is history.
- 6. I Know It's Over by The Smiths
It's hard to pick just one Smiths song, but this is mine. "If you're so very entertaining, then why do you sleep alone tonight?"
- 5. Only You by Yaz (or Yazoo)
"All I needed was the love you gave, all I needed for another day, and all I ever knew---only you..." Ah, perfection.
- 4. The Killing Moon by Echo and the Bunnymen
Ian MacCulloch called it the last great ballad ever written. Perhaps so. "Fate, up against your will. Through the thick and thin. You will wait until, you give yourself to him..."
- 3. These Wishes by The Rave Ups
They appeared in "Pretty In Pink", but that might be as big as they ever got. "Our love's like a foggy vacation and I'm wishin' you were clear..."
- 2. The Power Of Love by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
The best FGTH song you never heard. Perhaps the best ballad of the 80's. "When the chips are down, I'll be around with my undying, death-defying love for you..."
- 1. State Of Art by Friends Again
In the early 80's, this Scottish band was poised for stardom. "Was she something worth loving? She was all that and more..."
Honorable mentions go to: "Worlds Away" by Strange Advance, "Sunkissed" by Friends Again, "How Soon Is Now?" by The Smiths, "Love Kills" by Joe Strummer and so many others lost to history, but still in memory. If you want to know anything more about the songs or bands above, email me at email@example.com!
- 10. Gimme Shelter by Sisters of Mercy
Rolling Stones probably blushed when they heard this song... Sisters are better than...
- 9. Go! by Tones On Tail
Bauhaus are really cool, but even Moby likes Tones on Tail!
- 8. Numbers by Kraftwerk
Techno and Electro's parents.
- 7. Close To Me by The Cure
The greatest hits will make you understand...
- 6. Los Niños Del Parque by Liaisons Dangereuses
A frech group singing in spanish. The screams, lyrics and beats makes you dance like a punk!
- 5. The Bottom Line by Big Audio Dynamite
Clash was great, but B.A.D. was better than this! E=MC2, V Thirteen, I don't Know,...
- 4. Temptation by New Order
These guys are fucking good! Thieves like us, bizarre love triangle, blue monday, regret, are also wonderful.
- 3. Atom Rock by Quando Quango
Johnny Marr (Smiths)played the guitar in this really good dance song. You better check this out, and also Love Tempo. You can't stop dancing!
- 2. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side by The Smiths
Well, what can I say about these guys? They are classic hit makers: How soon is now?, ask, panic, there's a light that never goes out,...
- 1. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
Soft Cell, Gary Numan, 1000 Violins, Front 242, there were so many good groups and songs.
- 10. Bronski Beat by Hit That Perfect Beat
When I heard this I couldn't get over the sound it was so danceable! This was a very fast song for its time too.
- 9. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
I really liked this song, good vocals and sound.
- 8. New Order by Blue Monday
How can you resist not dancing to this song? This is a dance floor classic!
- 7. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cindy Lauper
Man this was such a good tune. I used to listen to it over and over.
- 6. White Wedding by Billy Idol
One of my favorite Billy songs. You can here his emotions in this one. It was really written in regards to his sister's decision to get married in answer to her unplanned pregnancy. (VH-1 Pop-up Video fact)
- 5. Shout by Tears For Fears
I loved this song! I used to sing it all the time and make my cousins sing along with me.
- 4. Get Into The Groove by Madonna
This was a cool tune however I was never a huge fan of Madonna until Ray of Light but this song conjures up the 80's.
- 3. Cruel Summer by Bananarama
This song brings back memories.
- 2. Situation/Don't Go by Yaz
With a voice like Alison Moyet and the amazing talent Vince Clarke has with the synthesizer you can't go wrong.
- 1. You Spin Me Round by Dead Or Alive
This was "The" dance song of the 80's! You can't mention 80's music w/out mentioning Dead Or Alive! Have you ever heard a tune so catchy? There have been many covers made of this song (Thalia) but GiGi D'Agostino's version is by far the best I have ever heard!
Some of my other favorite artists: Kraftwerk, Book of Love, Visage, Nitzer Ebb, Depeche Mode, Divine, Man 2 Man, Fancy, Siouxie & the Banshees, The Cure....
By: Keith Wade
- 10. Just Got Lucky by Dokken
Dokken played better tunes, but this is the one that brings back sweet memories of my ex-girlfriend Kim whom I met on a blind date at a Dokken concert. Life was never so sweet!
- 9. Queen In Love by Yngwie Malmsteen
Short but sweet!
- 8. As Soon As The Good Times Roll by Scorpions
This is the only Scorpions tune that I never got burned out on hearing after the first few times I heard it. And I still like it.
- 7. Turn It Up (The Radio) by Autograph
- 6. Power And The Glory by Saxon
It was a toss up between this tune and "Crusader".
- 5. Heaven Is Waiting by Lynch Mob
A great tune from the 3rd most under-rated 80s Rock group.
- 4. Jet City Woman by Queensryche
It's so hard to pick just one tune from this group. Every 80s Rocker I ever met- from Metal, to Heavy Metal, to Glam- loved and respected Queensrych. And for good reason.
- 3. Fool For Your Loving by Whitesnake
An awesome tune! You don't even have to be a Rocker to appreciate this one.
- 2. I Wanna Be Loved by House Of Lords
A fresh Rock tune by the 2nd most under-rated Rock group of the 80s. "Demons down" is another great tune of theirs that is definitely a must hear.
- 1. She Shakes Me by Great White
My favorite 80s Metal band (although these days we would classify it as Melodic Rock). Great White was by far the most under-rated Rock group of the 80s. Had they decided to sacrifice their dignity and sell out to Glam, Satanism, or just plain weirdness they would have been bigger than Poison.
A top 50 list would be more practacle because so much good Metal came out of the 80s. There is one tune that would have easily made my top ten favorites but I only heard the tune once in 1986 and never knew who the group was or even the name of the song. The chorus went "I am the Tomorrow! Yea, yea! I am the Tomorrow! UUHH! LONG! LIVE! ROCK! Long live Rock and Ro-ll!...". Whoever it was, I'm sure the CD must be OOP and rare as hell!
By: cath d
- 10. Add It Up by Violent Femmes
Everyone Knows The Words 2 This Absolute Classic
- 9. Just Like Heaven by Cure
It Sure Is..............
- 8. Melt With U by Modern English
2 Die 4
- 7. Were Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister
Play It Loud!!
- 6. Run Away by Slade
A Bit Of A Metal Band Amidst This New Age Pop, Ya Gotta Love That
- 5. Take On Me by A-ha
Screamed So Much At Their Concert, Love Ya Mortz!
- 4. Calling Your Name by Marilyn
If Only For The 12" Version...wow!!
- 3. You Spin Me Round by Dead Or Alive
watch out here i come
- 2. Shiny Shiny by Hayse Fantayse
good times come to me now...they will with this pearler!!
- 1. Church Of The Poison Mind by Culture Club
ya gotta have the club, they WERE the 80s
big hair, boy george, new romantics and a few swear words, looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove the 80s!!!!
- 10. White Lines by Grandmaster Flash & Melle Mel
simply the best rap song in the world.......ever.
- 9. Crazy For You by Madonna
my favourite cheezy love song........Madonna was amazing.......in the 80s.
- 8. Romeo & Juliet by Dire Straits
my favourite un-cheezy love song.......very emotional.
- 7. You Can Call Me Al by Paul Simon
great song, great video, chevy chase's white shoes tho ? very dodgy :-)
- 6. Dont You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
HEY HEY HEY HEY.....oooohhhhhhhhhwwwoooaaahhhhhhoooooohhhhhhhh........just brilliant.
- 5. Goodbye Horses by Q Lazzarus
admittedly, i first heard this song in the 90s, whilst watching The Silence Of The Lambs......i think this is the most 80s sounding song around.
- 4. Wanted, Dead Or Alive. by Bon Jovi
if any 80s album was worth buying for just one track, Slippery When Wet was the one.......an 80s rock anthem.
- 3. Dont Get Me Wrong by The Pretenders
a singalong, headbobbing, foot tapping classic.
- 2. With Or Without You by U2
a very close second spot.......i really love this song....U2 at their best.
- 1. I Dont Like Mondays by The Boomtown Rats
this song never fails to sweep a tide of nostalgia over me.
Man.....pickin 10 of yr favourite songs from the 80s is harder than it looks. So many great songs & artists you gotta leave out. Honourable mentions go to The Style Council for Shout To The Top, Madness for House Of Fun & The Human League for Dont You Want Me.
- 10. Hold Me Now by Thompson Twins
!!! awesome song. a must have
- 9. Nothings Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship
Another decent song from this band
- 8. Where The Streets Have No Name by U2
1987...U2@ there best
- 7. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
One of my best.If you haven't heard this song...download it now!
- 6. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears for Fears
Nice driving song
- 5. The Sun Always Shines On Tv by A-ha
Great song from a great band and the music video is nice 2
- 4. Livin On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
- 3. Final Countdown by Europe
Fu#ing nice! and the music video rocks!
- 2. We Built This City by Starship
Excellent song.Would of been #1,but the music video is not so good.
- 1. Take On Me by A-ha
Great song...even better movie
And other songs: OMD:Dreaming. Cutting Crew: I just died in ur arms tonight. Alphaville: Forver young. Men @ work: who can it be now,down under.
Here are some honourable mentions, if only this was a list for the top 100 80's songs!!! New Order - Regret, The Stranglers - Always the Sun, Black - Wonderful Life, Pet Shop Boys - Always on my Mind, Cutting Crew - (I just)Died in your arms Tonight, Mr Mister - Broken Wings, Aneka - Japanese Boy, Corey Hart - Sunglasses at Night, Spandau Ballet - True, The Waterboys - Whole of the Moon, A flock of Seagulls - Space age love Song, Dire Straits - Money for Nothing, Michael Jackson - Thriller, Giorgio Morodero & Philip Oakley - Electric Dreams, Stone Roses - Made of Stone, Christopher Cross - Arthur's Theme, Danny Wilson - Mary's Prayer, Cat Stevens - Wild World, Paul Young - Wherever i lay my Hat, Crowded House - Don't dream it's Over, The Cars - Drive. Also, everything that Phil Collins and Genesis have ever done.
being a child of the 80's this is a hard decision. There are too many great songs to choose from.I tried to choose something of each of the most memorable artist.
By: joe smith
i love hard rock
- 10. I Want To Break Free by Queen
Other British gifts to the world
- 9. Every Breathe You Take by The Police
When Britain had good songs to give the rest of the world, Police was the biggest selling band outside the UK, but til then British music got down and still dont alive.
- 8. Papa Dont Preach by Madonna
Now she is the Queen of Pop and all music scene, but remember she was the Princess of the music with songs as Papa dont preach, Into the Groove, Like a Virgin or True Blue, afterthat she became Queen, but had a long way to get it. Always on the top is not an easy thing. Forever Madonna you really are the highest thing music bussines ever gave us.
- 7. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
When he was a sane person he was also the king of pop but it wasnt only a tittle it was really true, only he made songs with rock, pop, R&B keys as this one.
- 6. I Still Havent Found What I'm Looking For by U2
Every single released in the 80s from U2 is one of my fav but this is really an explosion of epics and rock.
- 5. Careless Whisper by George Michael
The British Gent did it since he was a begginner.
- 4. With Or Without You by U2
The best rock ballad I ever heard is form the Irish too.
- 3. Like A Prayer by Madonna
The best show ever Madonna did was with this song and this video.
- 2. Take On Me by Aha
The best pop song of the 80s come from Norway and still remains alive at least in European airwaves and clubs.
- 1. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2
The best songs of U2 are the best song of my life
always looking for 80's buddies :)
By: Mark Linn
- 10. Islands In The Stream by Kenny Rogers And Dolly Parton
HEY! I'm from Texas, so there's gotta be at least ONE country song...this one was the biggest crossover...and my wife loves it too!!
- 9. With Or Without You by U2
a song that I was to immature to appreciate in 1987.....now, a song I love and can't even believe was in the 80's
- 8. Walk This Way by Run DMC And Aerosmith
the leader in rap songs, and, just like Tina Turner, my introduction to Aerosmith
- 7. Pour Some Sugar on Me/You Give Love a Bad Name by Def Leppard/Bon Jovi
Two songs from two different years, but maybe my two favorite rocks songs of the 80's
- 6. Control by Janet Jackson
I loved Michael and "Thriller", but nothing compares to Janet! I've loved her more and longer!
- 5. The Greatest Love of All by Whitney Houston
I just love her!
- 4. What's Love Got To Do With It by Tina Turner
My introduction to the "Queen" of rock and roll!
- 3. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go by Wham!
Just a great song...still 1984
- 2. The Reflex by Duran Duran
still 1984....part of the American "British Invasion" continues
- 1. Karma Chameleon by Culture Club
1984....to me, the best year in the eighties for music with Boy George and Club leading the way!
I think the 80's were full of "one hit wonders" who had one (or two) BIG hits but never heard from again...A-HA, Nena; but it's fun to think of ALL the big artists who had many hits; Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Madonna (who I couldn't just think of 1 hit as a favorite) Prince, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, U2, Phil Collins, Duran Duran, Culture Club, George Michael, etc and etc, and etc......
By: Chris Noel-Bentley
- 10. Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes
Carnes has the perfect raspy voice for this.
- 9. Physical by Olivia Newton John
If the 80's had a classic this would be it - great tune to move to.
- 8. Pink Houses by John Cougar Mellencamp
- 7. Every Breath You Take by The Police
- 6. When Doves Cry by Prince
The best song off of one of the best albums of the decade.
- 5. Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics
Just a great song.
- 4. I Love Rock 'N Roll by Joan Jett
Raw and campy at the same time - clever.
- 3. Centerfold by J. Giles Band
One of the happiest songs to come out of the 80's.
- 2. Jack and Diane by John Cougar Mellencamp
Timeless - one could play this in 100 years and it would still sound up with the times.
- 1. Dirty Boulevard by Lou Reed
Intelligable lyrics - very catchy.
- 10. Don't Cry by Guns N Roses
- 9. Cum On Feel The Noize by Quiet Riot
- 8. Drive by The Cars
- 7. Girls, Girls, Girls by Motley Crue
- 6. Take On Me by A-Ha
- 5. Straight Up by Paula Abdul
- 4. Here I Go Again by White Snake
- 3. Is This Love? by White Snake
- 2. Every Rose Has It's Thorn by Poison
- 1. Red, Red Wine by UB40
Eighies music is by far the best. Picking a top 10 was really difficult because there are so many great songs from this era.
By: Gerina Dunwich
LONG LIVE THE 80'S!!!
- 10. Material Girl by Madonna
Cuz we are living in a material world and (unfortunately) I am a material girl.
- 9. Bad Medicine by Bon Jovi
Bon Jovi is one of the greatest bands ever and this song was just a whole lotta fun.
- 8. Superfreak by Rick James
It's my theme song. And hey, MC Hammer sampled it so it must be awesome! Haha!
- 7. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
It's a classic.
- 6. Wake Me Up by Wham!
I did a dance routine to this when I was...10ish. Its so fun and catchy.
- 5. Is This Love by Whitsnake
- 4. Here We Go Again by Whitesnake
Whitesnake ROCKED! They are the ultimate 80s Hair Band.
- 3. Take My Breath Away by Berlin
Love the song. Love the movie.
- 2. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leopard
The ULTIMATE party song. Whenever I hear it, I just want to dance and I usually do.
- 1. Caribbean Queen by Billy Ocean
This, apparently, was my first favorite song. My mother said whenever this song came on, I would start moving in the womb. Maybe it was because I couldn't stand it or maybe I actually did like it. Whatever the case, it's always had a special place in my heart. A weird little story is that on my 13th birthday (March 19, 1998), my local Top 40 radio station did their usual Top 8 at 8 which is like a call-in request show and whichever songs get the most votes get on the countdown. Well, come to my surprise, the number one song was Carribbean Queen by Billy Ocean. Some how, that song had been the number one most requested that day and I had nothing to do with it. I had to run downstairs and tell my mom because it was quite a strange moment.
By: Jason Rizos
- 10. No One Is To Blame by Howard Jones
This song is way cool. Nice transitions in this song.
- 9. Peekaboo by Siouxie And The Banshees
As far as I know, the only hit from an incredibly innovative 80's band. "Halloween" is also a great song.
- 8. Holding Back The Years by Simply Red
No band has so much reserved passion and mellow smoothness.
- 7. Say You, Say Me by Lionel Richie
Best male vocalist of all time. So many terrific songs to choose from. "Hello" is also great. "Still" too.
- 6. Material Girl by Madonna
She's having so much fun singing this tune, and it was her mantra at the time. You rule, Madonna!
- 5. Walking On Sunshine by Katrina And The Waves
Watch "American Psycho." Then you will know how fun this song can be.
- 4. Time After Time by Cindy Lauper
Heck, MILES DAVIS covered this for cryin' out loud! Terrific tune.
- 3. In The Mood by Robert Plant
Terrific albulm for a man bold enough to venture away from Zeppelin. "Ship of Fools" is also excellent. Really cool guitar on this albulm, "Film at 11."
- 2. Many Miles Away by Police
So hard to pick just one Police Song. This one has the most energy. I love it.
- 1. Always Something There To Remind Me by Naked Eyes
I can't hear this without remember the public pool, every summer day, for about six years, I heard this song each time. By far the best of the 80's, and the "most definitive" as well. Maybe.
I was merely 5 years old when the 80's began. I still remember the day, in 1980, cable TV was installed in our home. And MTV was a good thing. I'm trying to keep with the "pop" vein that everyone else here mostly follows. This is not a list of the most "definitive" songs of the 80's - I've left that to everyone else. These are my favorite pop tunes. This was very hard and lots of great songs didn't make the list. A few snuck in without being Pop songs.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.