In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Pierce Branden
Daryl Hall & John Oates had 29 Top 40 hits, 21 of which were in the 80s. In the US, they were the number three music act -- after Michael Jackson and Madonna (based on Billboard charting) -- of the 80s, and they are the number one duo of all time. This year (2002) they had a number one AC hit with "Do It For Love," and they have another song, "Forever For You," climbing the AC chart. Their new album, "Do It For Love," is to be released February 11, 2003. I wanted to give H&O their props since they're listed many times here, but it looks as though they only get tabulated into the overall results when listed as "Hall and Oates" -- not Daryl Hall & John Oates, Hall & Oates, etc.
By: Tan Qin Ji
- 10. Lost In Your Eyes by Debbie Gibson
- 9. Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carlisle
The chorus, the intro, the bridge...ooh Love it baby!
- 8. Our House by Madness
This song's cute and lovely. Makes me more like jumping than dancing.
- 7. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
Her voice with another male sound behind makes this song near perfect
- 6. The Riddle by Nik Kershaw
I never get to catch the lyrics properly, but I like it all the same.
- 5. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
This songs have naughty lyrics in it! Best Rock song in the 80s.
- 4. Careless Whisper by Wham!
Lovliest love song ever
- 3. Summer Rain by Belinda Carlisle
Belinda! Oh lovely. However the best part of this song is the violin bridge.
- 2. Freedom by Wham!
This song's nice, and suits my love life well.
- 1. Waiting For A Star To Fall by Boy Needs Girl
This song goes smooth, catchy and the church like chorus makes me dance around the room. Should be the anthem of the 80s i suppose:-)
It must be stated that I was born in 1985 and maybe too late to enjoy the 80s throughly, but i listen to them in the Adult Comtemporary Station, MIX fm Malaysia. So there's a problem is I know some nicer songs but i don't know the titile nd artist...i am not even sure that is Debbie Gibson from the 80s or 90s?...Is Boy needs girl from the 70s...but i some how i think it really is...others are sure to be the 80s best hits.
- 10. Someone, Somewhere In Summertime by Simple Minds
80's Summers Again!
- 9. First Picture Of You by Lotus Eaters
- 8. Glittering Prize by Simple Minds
Kerr And The Boys Again, Just Play This With Headphones On, Or In The Car!
- 7. Waterfront by Simple Minds
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo.... Great Start And Just Gets Better, Jim Kerr At His Best.
- 6. Living By Numbers by New Musik
Little Known Group But Great Feelgood Music. Notice The Spelling.
- 5. Cars by Gary Numan
This Very Late 70's Classic was re-released in the 80's as an E-Reg Version :-)
- 4. The Motive by Then Jerico
The 80's Sound.
- 3. In A Big Country by Big Country
Vastly underrated Group.
- 2. New Years Day by U2
Check Out "The Edge" On That Guitar!
- 1. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
Absolute Classic Timeless Hit!
I have done four and half albums with stuff like this, anyone wants a list then e-mail me! Simple Minds and U2 Rock!!
By: Deshawn Brown
- 10. Take Me to the River by Talking Heads
- 9. Headlines by Midnight Star
- 8. Better Be Good To Me by Tina Turner
- 7. Fast Girls by Janet Jackson
- 6. I Knew You Were Waiting by Aretha Franklin/George Michael
- 5. Careless Whisper by Wham!
- 4. Holiday by Madonna
1983 or 1984
- 3. One Thing Leads To Another by The Fixx
- 2. Thriller by Michael Jackson
- 1. Truly by Lionel Ritchie
By: joe aguirre
- 10. Mr Roboto by Styx
- 9. China Girl by David Bowie
Provocative video for it's time.
- 8. Seperate Ways by Journey
Good beat, Still great song to drive too.
- 7. 867-5309 by Tommy Tutone
1 hit wonder but great jam out song
- 6. Girls On Film by Duran Duran
- 5. Valley Girl by Moon Zappa
- 4. Allentown by Billy Joel
Great Song in concert, Awsome performer
- 3. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
King of Pop
- 2. Come On Eileen by Dexy Midnight Runners
Good song, great video
- 1. Dont You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
great song, great movie, molly ringwald need i say more
So many songs that rate as classic 80's music. I still jam out to these songs and countles others. My wife makes fun of me because of it but what the hell. The 80's were the times of high school for me and the great memories that these songs bring back kicks A##.
- 10. How Soon Is Now? by The Smiths
Reminds me of summers in high school.
- 9. Strangelove by Depeche Mode
Hard to pick just one DM song.....but this will do.
- 8. Mirror In The Bathroom by English Beat
Just a great, great song.
- 7. Always Something There to Remind Me by Naked Eyes
Burt Bacarach's contribution to 80's music.
- 6. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
Breakfast Club.....need I say more.
- 5. Take on Me by A-Ha
Great driving song.
- 4. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
Unforgettable scene in Say Anything. Mercy Street by PG also great.
- 3. Boys of Summer by Don Henley
Great summer song.
- 2. With Or Without You by U2
Joshua Tree was a landmark album for the band.
- 1. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
Perhaps one of the best pop songs ever.
Honorable mention: Spirits in the Material World - Police; Pictures of You - The Cure; So in Love - OMD; Our House - Madness; This Must Be the Place - Talking Heads
By: amber bottoms
- 10. Hot For Teacher by Van Halen
more like hot for your own crotch, dave.
- 9. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
fingerless gloves on SOLID GOLD
- 8. Electric Avenue by Eddie Grant
take your third left, go 3 blocks, and it'll be around the corner from the supermarket near the ritzy cinema.
- 7. Nasty by Janet Jackson
she always made me call her MS.JACKSON
- 6. Dirty Deeds by AC/DC
TNT & cyanide...done dirt cheap. what can i say, i love a bargain.
- 5. Two Of Hearts by Stacie Q
have you ever been at an 8th grade dance?
- 4. Puttin' On The Ritz by Taco
two great tastes that taste great together!!!
- 3. Girls On Film by Duran Duran
watch the video.
- 2. Naughty Girls Need Love Too by Samantha Fox
- 1. Edge Of Seventeen by Stevie Nicks
By: Brian Parsons
- 10. You're A Friend of Mine by Clarence Clemons & Jackson Browne
We all could use a friend like that.
- 9. Bust A Move by Young MC
Unbelievably fun to sing - the best rhymes ever conceived in a rap song. Shows a rare truth - rap can be fun and sexy without being vulgar.
- 8. Face The Face by Pete Townshend
What the heck is this song about? I don't care. That nasty trombone solo will drive anyone to frenzied frothing dancing.
- 7. The Greatest Love of All by Whitney Houston
THE best female vocalist of the 80's. Knowing what has happened since just rips you apart when you listen to this queen of self-affirmations.
- 6. Childhood's End? by Marillion
You have to listen to the whole album, but whoa, what an uplifting spirit-soaring climax! "I can do anything, I'm still the child."
- 5. For Her Love by Marshall Crenshaw
Ever been so head-over-heels in love that you know you look stupid and couldn't care less?
- 4. The Only One by Huey Lewis
Everyone knows someone in their life who was "the only one". This song has a meaning for all of us.
- 3. Riviera Paradise by Stevie Ray Vaughan
This song could turn a tornado into a gentle summer breeze.
- 2. Cherish by Madonna
In spite of everything about Madonna, I would marry her for this song alone.
- 1. Run Riot by Def Leppard
Enough power to melt steel. "It doesn't matter if we break a rule or two."
There were three great unsung artists of the 80's: Marshall Crenshaw, Marillion, and Scruffy the Cat. Your life will not be complete until you understand why this is true. God Bless Us, Everyone.
- 10. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by U2
A fitting theme song for the decade of decadance.
- 9. Funkytown by Pseudo Echo
Very obscure Australian band. They gave this lackluster disco tune the kick in the pants it needed--lots of loud guitars!
- 8. Why Can't I Be You? by The Cure
The Cure's ode to obsessive fandom.
- 7. Heart And Soul by T'pau
This song is as 80's as it gets.
- 6. A Little Respect by Erasure
- 5. World Where You Live by Crowded House
Funny lyrics, cool video. This band was the Beatles of their time.
- 4. But Not Tonight by Depeche Mode
Great song, it always reminds me of that invincible teenage feeling.
- 3. The Tide Is High by Blondie
One of the most underrated bands of all time--and this song is fabulous.
- 2. I Feel The Magic by Belinda Carlisle
Pop when pop was good.
- 1. New Moon On Monday by Duran Duran
Don't know what the hell this song was about, but it rocked. The video was pure 80's cheese--and the guys looked great.
Honorable mention: "Don't Change" --INXS, "Election Day" --Arcadia, "Head Over Heels" --The Go-Go's, "Synchronicity" --The Police
- 10. Wanted Dead Or Alive by Bon Jovi
- 9. Something Burning by Kenny Rogers
- 8. Islands In The Stream by Kenny Rogers And Dolly Parton
- 7. Dangerous Hour by Kenny Loggins
- 6. Foot Loose by Kenny Loggions
- 5. Let It Roll by Don Johnson
- 4. Funkytown by Lipps Inc
- 3. Dr Feelgood by Motley Crue
- 2. Beat It by Micheal Jackson
- 1. Heartbeat by Don Johnson
i lve all these songs rock on
By: Chris D
- 10. His Eyes by Pseudo Echo
This is a very,very,very,very rare song,that was on the Soundtrack for one of the Friday the 13th movies,and written for the movie.Think it was part 5.Excellent song.
- 9. 867-5309 by Tommy Tutone
This is a very cool classic from the early 80's
- 8. Walk Like An Egyptian by The Bangles
This had everyone in the streets,and in there homes,doing that little cheesy dance.
- 7. Take My Breath Away by Berlin
Awesome love song
- 6. Billy Idol by Eyes Without A Face
BIlly Idol is a legend,and he ROCKS!!!
- 5. Cyndi Lauper by Time After Time
- 4. Circle In The Sand by Belind Carlisle
I love my Belinda!!!
- 3. Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carlisle
What can I say,it's most excellent example of 80's music that still sounds a great as the day it was made.
- 2. Love Shack by The B52's
- 1. Crazy For You by Madonna
This is just a great timeless love song,and will always be one of my favourites.
Can we add more than 10????We need more space,lol.
By: Juan Noval
- 10. Cien Gaviotas by Duncan Dhu
More guys that claimed their fame from La Movida. Spain really produced some incredible bands.
- 9. Donde Estabais (en Los Malos Tiempos) by La Union
Another band spawned from La Movida. Cojonudos a tope.
- 8. No mires a los ojos de la gente by Golpes Bajos
For those of you that were in Spain during La Movida these guys from Galicia were beyond words. Too cool.
- 7. Long Hot Summer by The Style Council
If you liked The Jam then you loved these guys. They absolutely dominated the world. Too bad we did not hear much from them in the USA.
- 6. Tenderness by The English Beat
It is imposible to choose one song from these lads. They had so many hits that it looked like we were having another Brit invasion.
- 5. Penthouse And Pavement by Heaven 17
Again the English conquered. This hit was redubbed in the 90's and it turned out to be hotter than hot.
- 4. Living On The Ceiling by Blanc Mange
The brits kept it coming with some extremely cool bands.
- 3. Summer Rain by Alphaville
Another German band that did not think they would have such huge hits. They could be heard all over Europe with this and other hits.
- 2. Brother Louie by Modern Talking
Some German Pop that took Europe by storm.
- 1. Ma Quale Idea by Pino D'Angio
Off the beaten path but those who got to cruise in Italia or Spain in the 80's will appreciate this one.
Please note that these bands are not placed in a particular order. As I thought of the bands that I grew up with I jotted them down. I led a double life by going to school in the US and travelling for entire summers and Xmas to Europe, predominantly Spain.
- 10. Hey Matthew by Karel Fialka
- 9. Nobodys Diary by Yazoo
- 8. Mad World by Tears For Fears
- 7. Salambo by Indochine
- 6. Ticket To The Moon by Elo
- 5. Black Night White Light by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
- 4. Boys Of Summer by Don Henley
- 3. Dont Stop The Dance by Bryan Ferry
- 2. Tommorow Started by Talk Talk
- 1. Shake The Disease by Depeche Mode
By: Sierra Echo Fred
- 10. Cherish (1989) by Madonna
my favorite Madonna song - from the summer of '89
- 9. History (1985) by Mai Tai
- 8. Breaking Away (1986) by Jaki Graham
Anyone remember this one?
- 7. Visage by Fade To Grey (1980)
The new romatic wave...
- 6. Mary Wilson by Just what I allways wanted (1982)
A 60s pastiche with a lot of 80s feel...
- 5. Tracy Ullman by They Don't Know (1983)
best ever "Baby!" in a pop-song
- 4. Take That Situation (1983) by Nick Heyward
It makes U happy :-)
- 3. I Heard A Rumour (1987) by Bananarama
It makes U happy :-))
- 2. William It Was Really Nothing (1984) by The Smiths
Fantastic - but short...
- 1. The Look Of Love (1982) by ABC
Just hear it....
- 10. Vienna by Ultravox
- 9. True by Spandau Ballet
School discos and doing a runner.
- 8. Too Shy by Kajagoogoo
- 7. Club Tropicana by Wham
Just pure class
- 6. Down To Earth by Curiosity Killed The Cat
We love Ben.
- 5. Fantastic Day by Haircut 100
- 4. The Look Of Love by ABC
Gold suit. Still looks fab!
- 3. Love Cats by The Cure
- 2. We Close Our Eyes by Go West
Good looking singer, that's about it really. Still is by the way.
- 1. Gold by Spandau Ballet
Couldn't decide what to put down really. Great music and most of it sounds as good today as it did then! I love it all, except the clothes and hair.
By: Mircea Gheorghiu
- 10. Maria Magdalena by Sandra
A personal favourite.
- 9. You're My Heart, You're My Soul by Modern Talking
This band just kept the discos up all night throught the 80's.
- 8. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
- 7. The Final Countdown by Europe
This song changed the rock scene...forever. It deserved a better position, I think.
- 6. Love To Hate You by Erasure
- 5. Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran
I was in difficulty choosing between this and "Ordinary World". Your choice.
- 4. Sounds Like A Melody by Alphaville
The best of Alphaville..
- 3. Self Control by Laura Branigan
I have spent months trying to figure out who was playing this song.
- 2. Always On My Mind by Pet Shop Boys
Even better than Elvis' song!
- 1. Love Changes (Everything) by Climie Fisher
The best one hit wonder of the eighties...
Come to think of it, Milli Vanilli, Culture Club, Roxette, Madonna, Kim Wilde, Simple Minds, Frankie goes.. also deserved rankings, but 10 songs is just too few to cover the whole 80's universe.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.