In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Ralf Scülfort
There are many more tracks I would like to mention (especially from the early- and mid-eighties; bands like Flock of Seagulls, Spandau Ballet, "Beat it" from Michael Jackson, ... etc.), but there`s no more space on this page!
- 10. Sweet Child Of Mine by Guns and Roses
Some of the best guitar solos that I can think of
- 9. Come On Eileen by Dixie's Midnight Runners
One of the greatest one-hit wonders.....ever.
- 8. Karma Chameleon by Culture Club
How long did it take you to realize they were singing 'Karma,' and not Come-a, or the dozens of other words it was confused for?
- 7. Every Breath You Take by The Police
A great song. Not a great love song, just a great song. If you think this is a love song, you need to actually listen to the lyrics.
- 6. 867-5309/Jenny by Tommy Tutone
This is one of those songs that was stuck in everyone's heads, and probably still is stuck in a lot of heads to this day.
- 5. Livin on a Prayer by Bon Jovi
An awesome, awesome song, that gets any party rolling. Everyone likes this song.
- 4. Boys of Summer by Don Henley
I'm a huge Eagles fan, but not the biggest fan of Don Henley's solo career. With this song though, he really got it right. When the song opens to the 'tap-tap-tap' on that symbol, it just gets you pumped to hear this song.
- 3. Africa by Toto
80s songs just fon't get much better than this, Toto's most remarkable single.
- 2. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
The ultimate love song. Luckily, this song has been perserved through Cameron Crowe's classic 'Say Anything,' and should remain in music collections as a song that defined the 80s.
- 1. Take On Me by A-ha
Not only the gretest song, but undoubtedly the greatest music video to come out of the 1980s. Does it get any better than pencil sketches combined with a classic keyboard solo?
How is A-ha not on more lists?
By: Chris Blanchette
- 10. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds
No 80s list would be complete without the theme to the ultimate 80's movie "The Breakfast Club".
- 9. Hello Again (remix) by The Cars
Favorite song from my favorite group of all time.
- 8. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits
Made us all want to play guitar.
- 7. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
Back in a time when MJ was still somewhat normal and still black.
- 6. Too Shy by Kajagoogoo
Still just as good to dance to today as it was 20 years ago."Hey Girl, move a little closer!"
- 5. Der Kommisar by After The Fire
Doesn't get anymore new wave than this!
- 4. Rockit! by Herbie Hancock
Taught youth how to recycle those old refrigerator boxes.
- 3. Down Under by Men At Work
So goofy, yet so simple. Still haven't tried a Vegemite sandwich yet.
- 2. Careless Whisper by Wham!
The song brings back memories of my first true love in the summer of '84.
- 1. You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) by Dead Or Alive
The song still gives me chills and send adrenaline racing through my veins when I hear it in the retro clubs.Disco ,New Wave and early Techno all rolled into one.
Although none of their songs are listed honorable mention to Duran Duran--the ultimate 80s trendsetters. The "Nirvana of the 80s" if you will.
By: Alan Elam
- 10. Don't Fall On Me by REM-1986
The first song I remember hearing from these guys(though my 12-year old mind was a little puzzled by the video at first),it was also the song that,for me, began a lifelong admiration for REM which still exists to this very day.
- 9. I Won't Stand In Your Way Anymore by Stray Cats-1983
The Cats' first foray into balladry,in the inimitable way they could deliver it-Doo wop style! A forgotten top 10 smash that ruled the airwaves in late '83.Too bad you don't hear it anymore.
- 8. Cry by Godley & Creme-1985
A brilliantly quirky masterpeice from these legendary video directors and alumni of 10cc.I remember this from 5th grade!
- 7. The Honeythief by Hipsway-1987
GEESH! I sure do know how to pick them 1-hit wonders don't I? these five scots are no exception.a tune that blanketed the airwaves in the spring of '87 when I was in 6th grade!I still have my copy of the 45 single(and it's still in BITCHIN' shape,too!)
- 6. Sausolito Summer Nights by Deisel-1981
I have $500 in monopoly money if anyone remembers this song(by another group of one-hit wonders);got the 45 for xmas when I was 7 years old-wore it flat out! WOH-OH-WOOOOOOOH(CLAP!CLAP!)Sausolito summer nights!!!!
- 5. No More Lonely Nights by Paul McCartney-1984
I have to include this one,being a huge Beatle fan and particularly of Paul;This is from his GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROAD STREET movie and his last U.S. Top 10 single.
- 4. The Rain by Oran Juice Jones-1986
Another R&B One-hit wonder who quickly vanished;upon listening to this laughable spoken word pastiche passing for rap,in retrospect,I have to file under "So bad,It's GOOOOOOD!)QUOTABLE line:"Me Without you is Like Cornflake' widout da MILK!"
- 3. I Wanna Be Your Man by Roger-1987
An R&B one-hit Wonder from 1987.awesome use of the vocoder and a smooth jam if ever there were one.AH,the many slow dances with my first love,Tonya!
- 2. Glory of Love by Peter Cetera-1986
The Ex-Chicago frontman's solo debut and the love theme from Karate Kid II.reminiscent of the summer of '86,when my sisters and I cried and sang along to this song after having to move away from a favorite nieghborhood(we moved alot,because my dad was a musician-as I now am).
- 1. Our House by Madness-1983
Brings to mind my first EVER exposure to MTV when I was a wee sprout of 9(in 1983)
Forgive me.but,I felt somewhat overly compelled to include in my list the one-hit wonders and forgotten favorites which ya just don't hear anymore.These songs need to be included on SOME kind of compilation(hello TIME/LIFE!)If they ever do make an all 80's radio format,I will be PISSED if any of these songs are not in the playlists(Do ya HEAR ME,CLEAR CHANNEL?!).I could think of a million more,but this limited space and the fact that I am up past my bedtime prevents me from mentioning any more.
By: Owen Rees
- 10. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
The ultimate college party song
- 9. Great Southern Land by Icehouse
Another Australian classic
- 8. 99 Red Balloons by Nena
Love that first verse before the band kicks in
- 7. Keep On Loving You by REO Speedwagon
Always the 2nd last song at the school dance
- 6. What About Me by Moving Pictures
Always the last song at the school dance
- 5. Cadillac Ranch by Bruce Springsteen
In 1980, I was 14 years old, and boring myself to death listening to the Eagles, not interested in punk - then I heard "The River" album, and life made sense.
- 4. Unguarded Moment by The Church
The most under-rated Australian band ever
- 3. The Cutter by Echo and the Bunnymen
Incredibly atmospheric, spooky song
- 2. Throw Your Arms Around Me by Hunters and Collectors
A classic that has been played to death on Australian radio, but still stands up
- 1. One Perfect Day by Little Heroes
A 1 hit wonder that captured the atmosphere of Australia in the 80's perfectly.
Strong Australian bias here - also could easily have put 10 Springsteen songs down, but that is not very imaginitive. Honourable mentions - Send Me an Angel (Real Life); Hungry Heart (Bruce Springsteen); Forever Now (Cold Chisel); Sweet Dreams are Made of This (Eurythmics)
By: Juan Pablo Costa
- 10. Karma Chamaleon by Culture Club
El video en el barco estaba bueno, aunque no estaba bueno participar de ese viaje. Eran todos maracas.
- 9. Sometimes by Erasure
Estos tipos(??) marcaron un hito tecno-pop.
- 8. Down Under by Men At Work
Los pude ver en el Teatro Coliseo (creo) en Febrero del 2000. Es barbaro el video, aparece un personaje muy parecido a un profesor que tuve en la secundaria llamado Tuñon.
- 7. Square Rooms by Al Corley
Otra cancion con sonido y golpe bien ochenta!! Que Cancion !!!! Thinkin´ square rooms, a human without illusion... (algo asi)
- 6. Motion of Love by Gene Loves Jezebel
Desire es otra cancion que me gusta mucho de G.L.J. Tengo el vinilo de ¨the house of dolls¨ eso es: ORO 18k.
- 5. Promises (As The Years Go By) by IQ
Esta cancion la pasaban en una propaganda de Cevitur (Viajes de egresado de escuelas) a fines de los ´80. Hace solo unos años pude saber el nombre.
- 4. Heaven by Brian Adams
Esta cancion me empezo a gustar mas cuando mi hermana se compro el disco ¨So far So good¨. La letra esta muy buena y es muy sencilla.
- 3. Bizarre Love Triangle // Have In Mind by New Order // Cetu Javu
Son muy parecidas, no?. No estoy muy seguro si Have in Mind es de principios de los ´90 o fin de los ´80.
- 2. Mystify by INXS
Inxs fue la banda que mas me gusto desde 1990 hasta la muerte de Michael. Esta cancion fue la que primero y mas me gusto.
- 1. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
Sonido y efectos muy ochenta. El video en la aldea es excelente. Igual que Jenny la 2da.cantante.
Nooooo deje afuera U2, Police, Dire Straits, Madonna, David Bowie, Talkinheads, The Cars, Duran Duran, Simple Minds, Billy Idol.... No se puede hacer un Top Ten de musica con posiciones fijas, mucho menos de los años 80 donde surgio lo mejor. Hoy estas son mis 10 canciones de estos años, mañana seguro otras ocupen estos lugares.
By: david sutton
- 10. Atomic by Blondie
Ground breaking band who opened the door for Madge and her followers. This though shows that musically MAadge was and is still left reeling behind the quality of Blondie.
- 9. Motorcycle Emptiness by Manic Street Preachers
Wonderful pop tune. Introduced the Manics to the world nice and early. This though, for me, is their best yet.
- 8. Barcelona by Freddie Merccury
Totally original and unique. Not just the man, but this song too. Vocally amazing and completely fresh.
- 7. I Want To Break Free by Queen
Great tune. Great video.
- 6. Wild Boys by Duran Duran
Duran's best offering when they were at the peak of their popularity. Lots of fun and with some oomph.
- 5. Careless Whisper by George Michael
A slice of mush from George. Here he was at his best - never returned to this peak since. At last he proved he could sing.
- 4. Radio Ga Ga by Queen
A true classic - masterful pop rock by the masters of rock and pop. Written by Roger Taylor this was somehow held off the top slot by FGTH. There ws clearly no hustice in the world. And what a show stopper at Wembley in '85 at Live Aid. Possibly the greatest live track ever by the greatest live band ever.
- 3. Love In An Elevator by Aerosmith
A slice of fun! Great tune signalling the return to form of America's finest.
- 2. Feels Like Heaven by Fiction Factory
One hit wonders maybe...but what a hit.
- 1. A Kind Of Magic by Queen
What a voice - just listen to Fred Go! So many memories of great times come flooding back when Fred belts this out. Pure class.
Clearly the Band of the '80's was Queen. I know they were officially awareded that title by ITV too after a viewers poll, but their record (no pun intended)speaks for itself. Music of the highest order from musicians of the highest calibre.Hit after hit, over and over. Fabulous stuff.
- 10. Is This Love by Whitesnake
- 9. 18 And Life by Skid Row
- 8. You Give Love A Bad Name by Bon Jovi
- 7. Shock Me All Night Long by AC/DC
- 6. Paradise City by Guns And Roses
- 5. Looks That Kill by Motley Crue
- 4. I Love Rock And Roll by Joan Jett And The Blackhearts
- 3. Talk Dirty To Me by Poison
- 2. Photograph by Def Leppard
- 1. One by Metallica
Best speed metal song
Heavy Metal Rules!!!!!!!!! I'm Mexican
There's So Many Songs....80's It's The Best Music...inxs,def Leppard, U2, Duran Duran, Pat Benatar, Joan Jett, Bon Jovi, Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys... Etc Etc Etc.........
- 10. Atado A Un Sentimiento by Miguel Mateos
- 9. La Muralla Verde by Los Enanitos Verdes
- 8. Lo Que Sangra (La Cupula) by Soda Stereo
- 7. Hombre Lobo En París by La Unión
- 6. Matenme Porque Me Muero by Caifanes
- 5. Viento by Caifanes
- 4. Persiana Americana by Soda Stereo
- 3. En Algún Lugar by Duncan Dhu
- 2. Nada Personal by Soda Stereo
- 1. A Cara O Cruz by Radio Futura
Mis mejores canciones en español según yo.......en los ochentas el rock en español fue lo mejor....existen muchos buenos grupos...for people from anothers countries, the best spanish rock 80's..soda stereo, radio futura, caifanes, enanitos verdes, and more....
By: K. Gus Vlahadamis
- 10. Gone Daddy Gone by Violent Femmes
Coming from Milwaukee, I played in a band with Brian Ritchie, the bass player. They rocked Wisconsin for years
- 9. I Love A Man In A Uniform by Gang Of Four
Remember in 1981 when we all thought the Soviets would bomb us?
- 8. Meat Is Murder by The Smiths
What an impact this band and song had during the mid 80;s
- 7. India by Psychedelic Furs
Saw them at San Diego State University. They were so loud that we ran to the bathroom to put toilet paper in our ears.
- 6. First And Last And Always by The Sisters of Mercy
Saw them live at an outdoor concert in Amsterdam. Unreal.
- 5. London Calling by The Clash
Influential band and song. Would not have been the 80's without this band
- 4. Go by Tones On Tail
Remember high energy slam dancing in Madison Wisconsin
- 3. New Year's Day by U2
Hanging out in Austin's Irish bars on Dec. 31 just to hear this song again
- 2. Cities In Dust by Siouxsie And The Banshies
Summed up the Reagan 80's pretty well
- 1. Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
The most perfect song ever written
- 10. Sergio El Bailador by Bronco
- 9. El Alacran by Mr. Chivo
- 8. Sorullo by Sonora Dinamita
- 7. Fiesta Suavecito by Rigo Dominguez
- 6. El Sirenito by Rigo Tovar y su Costa Azul
- 5. Abusadora by Laura Leon
- 4. Zancudito Loco by Plebeyos
- 3. Pipiripau by Plebeyos
- 2. No Te Metas Con Mi Cucu by Sonora Dinamita
- 1. Quien Pompo by Chico Che
Queremos Agradecer A Todas Estas Personas Que Nos Dan La Pura Sabrosura Y Bailongo En Nuestras Vidas. Vean Las Peliculas De Los Almada, Oigan A Los Tigres Del Norte, Ramon Ayala, Y Demas Guarreces !!!! Pasatela Chido Paisano !!!!
By: Wim Meeus
- 10. Live To Tell by Madonna
- 9. Born In The Usa by Bruce Springsteen
- 8. I Won't Let You Down by PHD
- 7. The Power Of Love by Huey Lewis & the news
- 6. The Reflex by Duran Duran
- 5. The Edge Of Heaven by Wham
- 4. Maid of Orleans by OMD
- 3. Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
- 2. The Final Countdown by Europe
- 1. Jeanny by Falco
Ironically, the Scorpions are my favorite 80's band but they aren't in the top 10. Rock was my thing and hits by Danger, Danger, Y & T, Tony Carey & Planet P, Loverboy and Dokken almost made it.
- 10. Send Me An Angel by Real Life
I first heard this song in the BMX movie RAD. Kind of a cool techno song!
- 9. 99 Red Balloons by Nena
This song has to make my top ten too! A classic 80's video!
- 8. With Or Without You by U2
First CD I ever bought was the Joshua Tree...One of my all time favorite songs!
- 7. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
The Breakfast Club is a great movie, with a great soundtrack!
- 6. Take Me Home Tonight by Eddie Money
What can I say...another great song.
- 5. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
Good video, GREAT SONG! Even though I can't follow the lyrics...who cares.
- 4. I Don't Want To Lose Your Love Tonight by The Outfield
You know, I like my girls a little bit older.
- 3. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
This song has to be in the top five! A truly hilarious video! S A F E TTTT YYYY SAFETY DANCE...
- 2. She Drives Me Crazy by Fine Young Cannibals
Funny video, a true classic!
- 1. Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol
Great song! Speaking of dancing...
Even though I was hatched in the early eighties, I was very familiar with all the tunes. MTV really progressed through my childhood, I followed the music and grew with the bands!
- 10. Wild Wild West by Escape Club
Great rock and roll jive song
- 9. Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode
Good boppy song
- 8. Turning Japanese by The Vapors
Great rock and roll tune and good film clip
- 7. Fade To Grey by Visage
Fantastic synthesizer tune
- 6. Cars by Gary Newman
One of the best 80's synthesizer songs
- 5. Walking On Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves
This one has a special meaning for me
- 4. I Was Made For Loving You by Kiss
Classic rock anthem
- 3. My Sharona by The Knack
Another great Rock and Roll songs
- 2. What I Like About You by The Romantics
One of the best Rock and Roll songs
- 1. Atomic by Blondie
She looked great even wearing a sack in this clip
Other Wham/George Michael songs, Devo, Human League, Spandau Ballet
By: sir chris
- 10. The Power Of Love by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Just who is this 'hooded claw' anyway?
- 9. Dancing In The Dark by Bruce Springsteen
'The Boss' on top form.
- 8. Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel
Not really sure if this was 80s or 90s, but i'll include it anyway.
- 7. Rock You Like A Hurricane by Scorpions
An all out, over the top, 80s rock fest. Great band, one of my favourites.
- 6. West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys
Great intro. The lyrics are fantastic to.
- 5. A Little Respect by Erasure
A song that just makes me feel good about myself.
- 4. I Don't Like Mondays by Boomtown Rats
This song is beautiful. Enough said.
- 3. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits
I think 'Sultans Of Swing' was '79, so i'll go for my second favourite of one of the best and most criminally under-rated bands ever.
- 2. Julian Lennon by Too Late For Goodbyes
I swear he's got to be related to John Lennon, he looks and sounds just like him
- 1. Blue Monday by New Order
I am a little to young to remeber the eighties. (I was born in '84) so forgive any inaccuracies.
By: Faith Britton
- 10. All My Rowdy Friends (Are Coming Over Tonight) by Hank Williams, Jr.
- 9. He Stopped Loving Her Today by George Jones
- 8. Seven Spanish Angels by Ray Charles & Willie Nelson
- 7. Where's The Dress by Moe Bandy & Joe Stamply
- 6. Shriner's Convention by Ray Stevens
- 5. Sea Of Love by Honey Drippers
- 4. Love Shack by B52's
My first car in '84 was a 1976 Chrysler New Yorker. It would seat about 20 and was as big as a whale!! As fast I drove back then, it was about to set sail!!
- 3. Sleeping Bag by ZZ Top
- 2. Cow Patty by Moe Bandy & Joe Stamply
- 1. Rapture by (can't remember--the mind goes first)
" and they were finger f***ing. 24 hour service then rapture. Fab Five Freddy told me ev'rybody's fly. DJ spinner said my, my. Flash it fast. Flash it cool...."
By: Ed Walker
- 10. Borderline by Madonna
How many people saw this video and just knew Madonna was going to be the biggest pop icon in the past 20 years?
- 9. Radio Free Europe by REM
- 8. If You Were Here by Thompson Twins
This was the best song in "Sixteen Candles", and still the best Thompson Twins song.
- 7. Just Like Heaven by The Cure
- 6. Tenderness by General Public
- 5. You're The Best Thing That Ever Happened by Style Council
If you haven't heard it, you should hear it....it has to be one of the best romantic songs ever recorded.
- 4. Legal Tender by B-52's
You may shout, but I'll still say Whammy is the best B-52's album.
- 3. Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode
- 2. How Soon Is Now? by The Smiths
There wouldn't be angst, alternative, gothic, what have you had it not been for this song. How many of you still admit to just loving this song?
- 1. I Melt With You by Modern English
This song is still just as cool as it was 20 years ago...Some 80's songs, although brilliant, still have that cheese factor. This isn't one of them.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.