In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Ajay Chhabra
- 10. Need You Tonight by INXS
- 9. Never Tear Us Apart by INXS
- 8. There Must Be An Angel by Eurythmics
Annie Lennox takes to yodelling - and it works!
- 7. Englishman In New York by Sting & The Police
- 6. Heart And Soul by T'Pau
- 5. Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode
- 4. Video Killed The Radio Star by Buggles
Revolutionary, catchy, and funny. Very very cool.
- 3. Africa by Toto
Cracking beat and beautiful harmonies. Love the start, especially.
- 2. Gold by Spandau Ballet
Close between this and "Take On Me". Always believe in your soul! ;-)
- 1. Take On Me by A-Ha
Definitive 80s - synth-pop at its most glorious. Feel-good to the core.
I'm not citing these as the best songs in any real artistic sense - but purely those that I think are awesome tunes, which, for me, epitomise the better side to the '80s.
By: Anke Verbakel
- 10. Vicious Games by Yello
- 9. Mistify by INXS
- 8. Manhattan Skyline by A-Ha
- 7. Get The Balance Right by Depeche Mode
- 6. Will You by Hazel O'Connor
- 5. Orange Crush by REM
- 4. Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits
- 3. Nobody's Diary by Yazoo
- 2. The One I Love by REM
- 1. Fugazi by Marillion
Too difficult to choose, too many beautifull songs in the 80's. Still a fan of REM, Marillion, Depeche Mode and Yazoo. Time of freedom for me.
- 10. Live Is Life by Opus
- 9. The Head And The Heart by Chris De Burgh
- 8. Jenseits Von Eden by Nino De Angelo
- 7. Hale Hey Louise by Ricky King
- 6. Ruzice Ruska by Zdravko Colic
- 5. Quand Je T'aime by Demis Roussos
- 4. Come Give Me Your Hand by Jennifer Rush
- 3. Wild Wild Water by Modern Talking
- 2. The Promise You Made by Cock Robin
- 1. Forever Young by Alphaville
Listen to that kinda music and your life will be better.
- 10. Salt In My Tears by Martin Briley
Tell her how you REALLY feel!!
- 9. Tears Are Falling by Kiss
Also very melodic
- 8. Go For A Soda by Kim Mitchell
Stay out of trouble...
- 7. In My Dreams by Dokken
Big hair at its best
- 6. Antisocial by Anthrax
Against the grain - again, great at high volume
- 5. Wild Thing by Sam Kinison
- 4. Eye In The Sky by Alan Parsons Project
- 3. Whiplash by Metallica
What needs to be said? Awesome tune!
- 2. In Your Direction by Ratt
Excellent album in general, but this is the one that sounds the best at high volume.
- 1. Big Country by Big Country
What a bass line!
The 80's were great for rock and roll in general. Several bands were spawned and snuffed, but the riffs roll on...
By: samy samy
The Greatest Music Era Ever Ever.
- 10. Hey You by Pink Floyd
- 9. Where The Streets Have No Name by U2
- 8. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
This isn't your stereotypical 80's style song, but a classic none the less
- 7. Karma Cameleon by Boy George
- 6. Africa by Toto
- 5. I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight by Cutting Crew
I was born where kevin macmillian is from i am a little biased
- 4. Tempted by Squeeze
- 3. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
- 2. Do You Really Want To Hurt Me by Boy George
- 1. Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears
- 10. Always Something There To Remind Me by Naked Eyes
Radio play...fell asleep to this being intro'ed by Casey Casem and distributed across the country.
- 9. Rain On The Scarecrow by John Cougar
Love the storytelling of both JC and Springsteen. Read the lyrics to this track aloud and feel the pull.
- 8. No Surrender by Bruce Springsteen
Coming of age...attitude of a lot of us then...'...tonight I hear those neighborhood drummer sounds, I can feel my heart begin to pound. You say you;re tired and you just wanna follow your dreams down...'
- 7. St Elmo's Fire by John Parr
I must admit, without the movie, I am not sure I would love this song as much as I do. Typical Child of the Eighties, I was a watcher of the Brat Pack. This song was the titel track for one of the best moveis of the 80's.
- 6. I Wanna Be Sedated by Ramones
Anyone who knows this song knows that it is simply a rush....turn on the amp...crank the volume...and get hyper.
- 5. Rock & Roll Is King by Electric Light Orchestra
Great vocals...a sing along song...bright and upbeat.
- 4. Putin On The Ritz by Taco
Was part of one of the first compilation albums I owned...Rock '83. '...dressed up like a million dollar troopah...tryin' hard to look like Gary Coopah...SUPER DUPER...'
- 3. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners And The Emerald Express
I was over at a friend's house for the first time, there were some sibling disputes...pretty wild fights...anyhow, 2:21am alone in this house, everyone is gone or passed out...I am 9 or 10 brought up in a conservative household I was freaking scared ****less...Come on Eileen hits the clock radio and pulls me through the paranoia...classic.
- 2. Sister Christian by Night Ranger
I know...Radio Muzik...but what can I say...brilliant song.
- 1. She's A Beauty by The Tubes
Gotta put this in number one just cuz I have scanned about six pages and haven't seen it. Amazing guitar...amazing lyrics...amazing tune!
Any true 80's aficiondo will be able to pick my list apart and tell us yea or ney to each choice. This stems from the fact that Children of the 80's were emotional. We had spirit. We thought with our feelings (amoung other things..lol). We have a whole suitcase of pent-up feelings and emotions all related to the time of our lives when we were simply the best. Inundated with new practical technology at every turn, we were the first generation to have a billion dollars in advertising spent on us; we were the advent of the latch-key generation; some of figured out that we could succeed before we were 40 and went for it, while others amoung us decided that what people called success at 40 was a sham. Looking back at the fads and the cliches, the sockhops and the dark gymnasiums with Stairway finishing our nights, the 'After School Specials' and the Muppets, when a week-end was truly a time for fun and easy living that started on Saturday morning with at least two hours of cartoons...I can't help but feel melancholy. It is a bittersweet saddness that overcomes me, an emotional Child of the 80's, each time I stop and think of the people, the music the life.
Thanks for the space and the time.
By: Ryan Abernathy
- 10. Paul Revere by Beastie Boys
"...I did it with a whiffle ball bat!"
- 9. Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em by Eric B. And Rakim
True hip hoppers will never forget this one!
- 8. Born In The Usa by Bruce Springsteen
Misunderstood but brilliant
- 7. Walk This Way by Run-DMC w/ Aerosmith
Brought hip hop to the burbs and revived the career of Aerosmith...RIP JMJ
- 6. Thriller by Michael Jackson
He's a freak now...but then he was the man!
- 5. Little Red Corvette by Prince
His Royal Badness at his best
- 4. The Reflex by Duran Duran
This song introduced me to Duran Duran
- 3. Wanted Dead Or Alive by Bon Jovi
Jon and Richie acoustic...nuff said
- 2. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
There is no better hair metal song
- 1. Where the Streets Have No Name by U2
The song that defined a band.
By: George Guthrie
- 10. You Came by Kim Wilde
- 9. Let Me Go by Heaven 17
- 8. Lulliby by Book Of Love
- 7. Midnight by Yazoo
- 6. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now by The Smiths
- 5. It's My Life by Talk Talk
- 4. Cities In Dust by Siouxsi And The Banshees
- 3. Enjoy The Silence by Depeche Mode
- 2. Madame Butterfy by Malcolm McLaren
- 1. Drama! by Erasure
Just a damned good song
If only we had groups like the artists of the 80's. Real talent back then. What do we have today. Brittany Spears, N'sync...PINK? WTF is wrong with people?
By: Jon Shipley
- 10. Love Bites by Def Leppard
Good love song
- 9. Wheel In the Sky by Journey
Such an awsome song.
- 8. Come Sail Away by Styx
What a Classic.
- 7. Limelight by Rush
- 6. Trees by Rush
Come on, Rush is the king.
- 5. Africa by Toto
Played in my High School Jazz Band, and loved it. It's just a classic.
- 4. Youth Gone Wild by Skid Row
Gets the whole floor rockin in my dorm.
- 3. MacGyver by Unknown
The theme song to my FAVORITE T.V. SHOW EVER.... MacGyver
- 2. Conga by Miami Sound Machine
My band played this while on tour in Costa Rica. Had everybody doing a Conga line. It was awsome
- 1. Jump by Van Halen
I recently saw David Lee Roth in concert..... wow, he can still rock. Rock on Van Halen!
I am an 80's freak. Just about everything I like comes from the 80's. The greatest T.V show ever, MacGvyer, Space Shuttles, Music.
By: Hunter O'Ryan
- 10. How Soon Is Now by The Smiths
- 9. Love Removal Machine by The Cult
- 8. Breaking These Chains by Dokken
- 7. Mexican Radio by Wall of VooDoo
- 6. It's My Life by Talk Talk
- 5. Class Of 2000 by White Witch
This song is from a band that went strait to the bottom. The song fun but it never went anywhere. "Class of 2000, they all wore silver suits that year." WOW were they wrong.
- 4. Under The Milky Way by The Church
- 3. Dancing With Tears In My Eyes by Ultravox
- 2. She Sells Sancuary by The Cult
- 1. Nemesis by Sherik Back
This has to be the best 80's dance song ever. As a DJ in New Orleans during the 80's, I enjoyed playing the extended version of this song. Get it and love it.
This list is a list that I made one night for an 80's theme party. I had to be diverse so there are many different genres here. The party was a hit. We do it at least twice a year. WOOOHOOO Nothing like a party to bring back my college days. I hope you enjoy this list.
By: joel d.s.
BRUCES SPRINGSTER, AHA, FANCY.
By: NIck Ieremiadis
- 10. Hunting High & Low by A-ha
This is the best by the Scandinavian group who took the world by surprise in the 80's. Atmospheric & moving.
- 9. See The Day by DC Lee
One hit wonder DC Lee in a classic slow pop tune.
- 8. It's A Sin by Pet Shop Boys
This gave a true meaning to the dance/disco of the 80's but still can be listened with excitement.
- 7. Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
Good Old Days for the boys in one of their highs!
- 6. Stuck On You by Lionel Richie
Best song by Lionel, in my opinion, very romantic & touching
- 5. Every Breath You Take by The Police
Very moving song, you can still listen to it a million times and never get bored of it. Perfect.
- 4. Into The Groove by Madonna
Her most dance/upbeat song ever !
- 3. When Doves Cry by Prince
- 2. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
It brought hard rock in every single house in the 80's
- 1. Careless Whisper by George Michael
Unfortunately only 10 songs can not (by any means) show the artistic orgasm that took place in the specific period. I am pretty sure that I left out at least 200 songs that could easily fit into the Top 10 for many & various reasons. Let's all hope that we will see again such a period.
- 10. We Are The World by USA For Africa
Tons of star power. America getting together for a cause.
- 9. Owner Of A Lonely Heart by Yes
Awesome song with an incredible guitar solo.
- 8. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits
Never had someone put it so right....."Look at the F***** with the earring and the makeup".
- 7. Fight For Your Right To Party by Beastie Boys
Anthem of a party decade.
- 6. Should I Stay Or Should I Go? by The Clash
"If I go there will be trouble.....but if I stay it will be double". I've said that to many a girlfriend.
- 5. Big Time by Peter Gabriel
I'm on my way, I'm making it......not Gabriel's biggest hit, but the one that told me that anyone could make it big time.
- 4. I'll Melt With You by Modern English
I'll stop the world and melt with you.......that's true love with an upbeat.
- 3. Red Barchetta by Rush
Awesome Song...makes you want to take a sports car and "strain the limits of machine and man" along some winding country roads.
- 2. Shout by Tears For Fears
When you can't take what life has given you; Shout......Let it all out.!Back in the 80's, all you had to do was shout (and take drugs). Now, you whip out your gat and cap someone (maybe yourself).
- 1. Girls by Beastie Boys
Its all I really want.....all I ever wanted......and all I ever will want!
As you can see, all the songs I included (except for a few) were heavy on the guitar.....There are so many other songs I could mention........I'm thinking of putting up a "Greatest 80's Songs" page........I wish I had room for "Come on Eileen" and "Jenny - 867-5309".
By: Dave Micklon
- 10. Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Queen
Different than anything else they did. Let's go to the sock hop!
- 9. Buffalo Stance by Neneh Cherry
Solid hip hop groove. Streetwise to say the least.
- 8. Nasty by Janet Jackson
"Gimme a beat!" The best record she ever did--MAN!
- 7. Hurts So Good by John Cougar
The best rocker ever. And his most irresistible one too.
- 6. Centerfold by J. Geils Band
Unmistakable tune. Such a catchy feel for a rock song!
- 5. Ebony And Ivory by Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder
Did I LOVE this video! It looked like one shot of the 2 men at one piano, but Stevie did his take in LA, and Paul did his in London. Another winner!
- 4. Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes
You can't forget that irresistible synth hook. And such clever lyrics.
- 3. Rock Me Amadeus by Falco
Just everywhere the first half of '86. That "historic" Canadian mix has always rocked my world!
- 2. Another One Bites The Dust by Queen
Killer. Just killer. Anyone who respects disco like Chic should FEEL THAT GROOVE!
- 1. I Want Your Sex by George Michael
Man, what a solid groove! Sure, it had its controversy, but George was the man!
The 80's were not quite as good as the 70's, but it was my pre-teen and teen years, and I hardly ever parted with the radio in the 80's (except for sleep and school, LOL)! Now excuse me while I go to Aladdin's Castle and play some Q*bert!
By: JULIO E. DE LEON ZEPEDA
- 10. West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys
el mejor pop ingles de la epoca y los videos de ellos eran super fregones.
- 9. Broken Wings by Mr. Mister
una cancion que te lleva fuera de tus pensamientos y te hace subir el volumen a todo lo que da.
- 8. The Promise by When In Rome
otro ejemplo de el pop exquisito de los aņos 80's imposible no sentir esa cancion
- 7. Just Like Heaven by The Cure
el mejor tecno pop de su momento como siempre the cure una banda innovadora en su momento
- 6. Animal by Def Leppard
una super cancion con un ritmo de rock puro de los aņos 80's
- 5. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
la mejor cancion roamntica d elos 80's y posiblemente de todos los tiempos
- 4. Don't You Forget About Me by Simply Minds
otro claro ejemplo de lo que fueron los 80's la letra de esta cancion y el ritmo es increible.
- 3. Strange Love by Depeche Mode
me encanta la tonada de esta cancion es un clasico de el sonido de los 80's
- 2. Your Love by The Outfield
con esta cancion me enamore la primera vez son recuerdos invaluables
- 1. With Or Without You by U2
es una cancion que te deja grabado muchos recuerdos en la memoria u2 es lo maximo , la voz de bono esd increible al igual que la bateria.
realmente la musica de los 80's sera mi favorita por siempre fue la mejor epoca d emi vida. the 80's music is the best music ever , the 80's it was the best part of my life and the best music dont' you think ?
By: David Lemley
- 10. To Look At You by INXS
the second best love song off all time. my girlfriend melts when i sing this at my shows
- 9. Start Me Up by The Rolling Stones
the song to listen when thinking of the early 80's
- 8. Take On Me by A - Ha
the most reconizable pop riff i've ever heard
- 7. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2
powerful song, especially live and acoustic
- 6. Shout by Tears For Fears
no nukes! no nukes! down with the bomb!
- 5. Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran
hehehe - the party is never started or official until i hear that hot little giggle
- 4. Axel F by not sure....
the Beverly Hills Cop theme song...still a hot party tune
- 3. Need You Tonite by INXS
pure sex atop a tick-tock beat and an insect funk guitar (curtosey Shine Like It Does, the INXS Anthology 1979 - 1997)
- 2. With Or Without You by U2
the greatest love song of all time
- 1. Calling All Nations by INXS
THE song for THE decade of decadance, glamor, inflation, and extremity
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.