In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
Michael Jackson is the greatest perforner there ever will be
- 10. Lean On Me (Ah Li Ayo) by Red Box
The last brilliant song on this list.
- 9. Self Control by Laura Branigan
- 8. Swords Of A Thousand Men by Ten Pole Tudor
This is yet another brilliant song from this decade.
- 7. The Day Before You Came by Blancmange
- 6. Don't Tell Me by Blancmange
Another great song.
- 5. I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner
Number one in the UK charts the day I was born.
- 4. Clouds Across The Moon by The Rah Band
- 3. See You by Depeche Mode
I love this song. It's one of my favourites by this great band.
- 2. Live Is Life by Opus
Same as above.
- 1. Obsession by Animotion
Great song, the only one they had in the UK. Wonder why.
Can you do a top 20 or more. There are so many more brilliant songs in my head.
- 10. Ballad Of Jayne by L.A. Guns
one of my favorite slow songs
- 9. Creeping Death by Metallica
this song just fucking rules(its also educational,listen to the words)
- 8. Am I Evil? by Diamond Head
not to many no this one but it fucking rocks
- 7. One In A Million by Guns N' Roses
- 6. Paradise City by Guns N' Roses
- 5. Peace Sells... by Megadeth
- 4. Master Of Puppets by Metallica
- 3. Seek And Destroy by Metallica
- 2. Patience by Guns N' Roses
- 1. One by Metallica
this song has one of the best solos ever!
- 10. Animal Magic by Belouise Some
Try to clear and hear this song..They are all The Good music..
- 9. Out Of Hand by Mighty Lemon Drops
Have you ever hear this stuff? well if u don't try to catch them for good
- 8. Tears Run Rings by Marc Almond
Closely next to tainted love..This I like about him..Any Comments People?
- 7. Vienna Calling by Falco
From old to new way of Life music..I love this Stuff..!!
- 6. The Great Commaments by Camouflage
The Band are most likely close to depeche mode...Never Gave Up New Wave..Thats The Great Commandments of all time
- 5. Transfer Affection by A Flock Of Seagulls
The way of beating is too much heaven in my ears..what kin of people are the New Wave Artist?
- 4. The Sun Always Shine On TV by A-ha
I remember this song when i was at Grade four..hehe
- 3. When Lightning Strikes by Positive Noise
One of The BEst SOng in the 80's but people marely dont hear bout this music..
- 2. Bleeding Babies by Real Life
ohhh..This Song extremely for all the soldiers whos out there.
- 1. Love Me Simple by Tuesdy Blue
One Of The Most Rare New Wave song in the 80's .similar to Icehouse,Wil Swans,Gene Loves Jezebel.
I'm 24 ..but I prefer New Wave music not this Music of the decade..They All Sucks..Boy Bands kiss lick Justin Timberlake ass..Stay New Wave ..I Really Love..British Artist..You Are The Best..Gooluck
these songs are meant to dance to in the discotheque.
By: Amanda Shank
- 10. She Bop by Cyndi Lauper
A song about masturbation, what could be more clever? Cyndi Lauper is the most fun and stylish gal of the 80's, I love her!
- 9. Pop Musik by M
New York, London, Paris, Munich, everybody talk about pop musik! A great tribute to a great genre of music.
- 8. Reel Around The Fountain by The Smiths
Morrisey is a pompus whiner, but that's what makes him wonderful. This song is the most beautiful Smiths song in my opinion.
- 7. Time (Clock Of The Heart) by Culture Club
Boy George is the artist who had the most definative style of the 80's, both musically and fashion wise. This is my favorite Culture Club song.
- 6. Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode
Apparently if your song is used in a Gap commecial it's a classic. This song is definately a classic, simple, pure synth pop.
- 5. Wishing by A Flock of Seagulls
"I Ran" was the group's only smash hit, but "Wishing" is far superior. The song is dreamy and longing, wonderfully crafted, and beautiful.
- 4. Some Guys Have All The Luck by Rod Stewart
I don't own any Rod Stewart albums, but whenever I hear this song I wish I did. The song has a great melody and is easy to relate to.
- 3. In Between Days by The Cure
The Cure are my favorite group, and the most wonderful moment in my life was hearing them perform this song live.
- 2. The Reflex by Duran Duran
This song should be tied for number one. This is the most ideal, perfect dance song of all time.
- 1. It's My Life by Talk Talk
This song is melodious, but also has a great intensity about it. Talk Talk aren't one of my favorite groups, but there's something about "It's My Life" that I love. The song makes me feel joyous.
I have so many favorite 80's songs, this list could change on any given day.
All I can say is I was born in 1982 - too little too late. I love all these songs - they are the perfect compliment to my thick naturally curly hair that would have be oh-so-cool in the 80s :)
- 10. I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight by Cutting Crew
- 9. She Works Hard For The Money by Tina Turner
- 8. Beat It by Michael Jackson
- 7. Thriller by Michael Jackson
- 6. Waiting For A Girl Like You by Foreigner
- 5. Tempted by Squeeze
- 4. Kids In America by Kim Wilde
The song is good and underrated.
- 3. What's Love Got To Do With It by Tina Turner
Good tune, good voice.
- 2. One Thing Leads To Another by The Fixx
This song is very catchy, but not in the annoying, overplayed way most catchy 80's songs are.
- 1. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson (aka Peter Pan)
This song is definately #1.
I'm a punk at heart, but I can't resist catchy 80's music.
By: Armand Llauradó
- 10. One On One by Daryl Hall & John Oates
Same as #7
- 9. King In A Catholic Style by China Crisis
I really enjoyed these guys' cool songs, although they don't seem to be too recognized. This one, together with "Black Man Ray" are their best works imo.
- 8. Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House
The best song of a great band.
- 7. Wherever I Lay My Hat... by Paul Young
I used to dance to this song with my girlfriend (today she's my wife), and that makes it special to me ;-).
- 6. Take On Me by A-Ha
Well, lots of people seem to consider this one the best song of the eighties and it probably is but, although i enjoy it a lot, it's not my favorite.
- 5. Sowing The Seeds Of Love by Tears For Fears
One of the best groups in the eighties. This is the best example of their genuine music style.
- 4. The Way It Is by Bruce Hornsby & The Range
I simply like it!
- 3. All By Myself by Eric Carmen
Another relatively "forgotten" musician, who was able to write such a beautiful (and well known) song like this.
- 2. Drive by The Cars
A jewel by a group whose average quality, unfortunately, was not at the level of this song. One of my favorites ever.
- 1. More Than This by Roxy Music
Imho, Brian Ferry is one of the most talented singers and song writers ever, but he is somehow undervalued. I think that his work had such a great influence in the music of the eighties that he deserves #1. This is my favorite song by them.
I was 18 in 1981 and 27 in 1990. During those 10 years I made some of the things that have had a highest impact in my life thereafter, and maybe because of this it's the decade whose music I remember with the most pleasure. It's been very difficult to choose only 10 songs from these years, but tried to select those songs that I still enjoy the most, more than 20 years after.
By: The Softer Side
- 10. Your My Inspiration by Chicago
Cant go wrong with this instant classic
- 9. In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins
Gotta support phil, i mean c'mon......
- 8. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
One hit wonders are still good too ya know
- 7. I've Been Waiting by Foreigner
It's true , It's true.....
- 6. I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight by Cutting Crew
well, what can i say, they cut up the charts with this one.
- 5. Take On Me by A-Ha
Crusin' down the street with this song blarrin' will get a few looks, but its worth it.....
- 4. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake
Goin down the only road i've ever know, but up the list.... you better believe it.
- 3. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
WOW!!! The Memories are good.....thats all i got to say about that
- 2. Take Me Home Tonight by Eddie Money
It brings a tear to my eye everytime i hear it, not really but you know what i mean.
- 1. Don't Stop Believin' by Journey
Best song EVER!!!
Bring Back The 80's, and the funny thing is i wasnt even around for half of it but i love the music.
- 10. Mr. Roboto by Styx
Now, I put one song down for Styx. In actuality, almost anything they did would be a hit as far as I'm concerned.
- 9. Beat It/Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson at his best. I can't forget Thriller, Say, Say, Say with Paul McCartney, or any of the other great Michael Jackson memorables!
- 8. Turn Me Loose by Loverboy
Great rockin' song!
- 7. One Night in Bangkok by Murray Head
AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!
- 6. Maneater by Hall and Oates
My theme song way back when :)
- 5. Anything By Genesis! by Genesis
Genesis is by far one of my all-time favorite bands!
- 4. Eye of the Tiger by Survivor
One of the great 80s bands
- 3. Synchronicity I And Synchronicity II by The Police
These two songs just epitomize what great talents the Police were!
- 2. Dead Man's Party by Oingo Boingo
Oingo Boingo is awesome - Danny Elfman is the most talented musician ever!
- 1. Right on Track by Breakfast Club
Every time I hear this song, I wanna get up and dance!
There are so many songs that I love from the 80s. One of my faves is "Moonlight on Water" by Kevin Raleigh (remember this one? it was almost out of the 80s, but it's an awesome song). I also need to mention more fave stars of the 80s: Foreigner, Journey, Laura Branigan, Sheena Easton, Lionel Richie, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Toto, Tears for Fears, REO Speedwagon, and Duran Duran, just to name a few!
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.