In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. Add It Up by Violent Femmes
You don't need electric guitars to rock . . .
- 9. With or Without You by U2
Laid-back but intense and yearning.
- 8. Breakup Song (They Don't Write 'Em Like That) by Greg Kihn Band
Early 80s was a low-water mark for rock, but this song holds up.
- 7. Sign Your Name by Terence Trent D'Arby
Where did this song come from? Sinister and cool.
- 6. I Know There's Something Going On by Frida
Everybody forgets this song . . . it's so *intense*.
- 5. Love Song by The Cure
You can almost taste the sadness.
- 4. Dreams by Van Halen
Gauranteed to get your blood flowing.
- 3. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns 'n Roses
I hate GnR but they got this song right.
- 2. One by Metallica
One of the scariest rock songs ever written--sounds like (and is about) a violent death.
- 1. Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) by Journey
I *defy* anybody to tell me what's wrong with this song--it's just about perfect.
By: Alan Burns
- 10. Theme From S-express (1988) by S-Express
- 9. Get Up And Use Me (1981) by Fire Engines
- 8. Seconds (1981) by Human League
- 7. Song To The Siren (1984) by This Mortal Coil
- 6. Charlotte Sometimes (1981) by The Cure
- 5. Adultery (1980) by Scars
- 4. House Nation (1986) by Housemaster Boyz
- 3. In Private (1989) by Dusty Springfield
- 2. This Charming Man (1983) by The Smiths
- 1. Where Is My Mind? (1987) by Pixies
The 80s were the most varied musical decade until, ooh... the 90's?
By: Larry Hanson
- 10. Gypsy by Fleetwood Mac
The Mac was at their peak in 1982.
- 9. Puttin' On The Ritz by Taco
It's Taco, what more can I say? This song is all 80's.
- 8. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight by Genesis
Phil Collins needs to stay in this band.
- 7. Heart & Soul by Huey Lewis & The News
A very under-rated band. This was a great song.
- 6. Dancin' In The Dark by Bruce Springsteen
The Boss was huge in the 80's.
- 5. It's A Mistake by Men At Work
A great band, with great songs.
- 4. Runnin' With The Night by Lionel Richie
What about Lionel?
- 3. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic by The Police
This song reminds me of video arcades.
- 2. Jump by Van Halen
These guys were the #1 band in the world in the 80's.
- 1. Beat It by Michael Jackson
Like him or not, when you hear this song, you remember what you were doing when you first heard it.
By: Jay V.
- 10. We Didnt Start The Fire by Billy Joel
It speaks for itself..
- 9. Notorious by Duran Duran
- 8. You Give Love A Bad Name by Bon Jovi
"Shot Through The Heart!!!........"
- 7. Summer Of '69 by Bryan Adams
- 6. Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins
Top Gun..Go Maverick..
- 5. Meet Me Half Way by Kenny Loggins
Sylvester Stallone in the movie Over The Top..key flick
- 4. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses
Definitely a song to listen to while on the expressway..
- 3. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Nikki French (90's version)
Girls go crazy for this song at CC..Nikki French's version..
- 2. Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
Huge rock hit from the 80's..
- 1. Take On Me by A-Ha
Culture Club written all over it..
Vey Key Songs..
- 10. Burning Up by Madonna
- 9. Say Say Say by Michael Jackson And Paul
- 8. Sugar Walls by Sheena Easton
- 7. Don't Leave Me This Way by The Communards
- 6. Like The Way I Do by Melissa Ethridge
- 5. Party All The Time by Eddie Murphy
- 4. Can You Feel It by Fat Boys
- 3. Buffalo Stance by Neneh Cherry
- 2. Jealous Fellows by L'trimm
- 1. Hold Me by Menudo
- 10. Feels Like Heaven by Fiction Factory
- 9. Two Rivers by The Adventure
- 8. Girlfriend In Coma by The Smiths
- 7. Joey by Concrete Blonde
- 6. First Picture by The Lotus Eaters
- 5. Don't Dream It's Over by Crouded House
- 4. What by Soft Cell
- 3. Castles In The Air by The Colourfield
- 2. Walk Out To Winter by Aztec Camera
- 1. Thank You by Pale Fountain
There are so many good songs from the 80's its tough to pick the best ones but oh well.
- 10. What's Love Got To Do With It by Tina Turner
I felt Tina's pain with that boy in my 3rd grade class!
- 9. Purple Rain by Prince
The worst movie of all time!
- 8. Endless Summer Nights by Richard Marx
Oh, I thought this was the most romantic song.
- 7. Celebration by Kool And The Gang
I'm still celebrating those good times!
- 6. Electric Avenue by Eddie Grant
This song was at the top of the charts for a whole summer in Chicago!!
- 5. Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
My first album!
- 4. Thriller by Michael Jackson
I remember when Michael's hair caught on fire. I was at a party with a bunch of girls and we were all hysterically upset.
- 3. Hello by Lionel Ritchie
I remember the video with the blind girl.
- 2. Like A Virgin by Madonna
My mom thought it was such a bad song...
- 1. Walk Like An Egyptian by Bangles
We were all walking around like Egyptians!
By: Larry LeBlond
Def Leppard in my opinion is perhaps one of the greatest bands ever. To overcome such obstacles in their life and to continue on with such rocking power ballads. Rick Savage is my hero. Rock On!
- 10. Time And Tide by Basia
this song is really good....
- 9. Whenever I See Your Smiling Face by James Taylor
- 8. What Might Have Been by Lou Pardini
it's so nice to here a guy singing this song.....if he is relly into it
- 7. I Remember by Madonna
wish i have a copy of this song....
- 6. Puttin On The Ritz by Taco
i feel like im a model when im hearing this song
- 5. When Will I See You Again by Third Degree
when will i see you again? hope soon...
- 4. Working My Way Back With You (babe) by Spinners
this is a bit sweet...a guy who's gonna ask for your forgiveness
- 3. Suddenly by Soraya
i just love this......
- 2. If I by Patti Austin
i just love this song...it kinda relates.....
- 1. I Dont Wanna Live Without You by Foreigner
.....i dont wanna live w/o you...live w/o your love......it only shows how much you care about the person you like and love
this 10 song listed here are just 1 of my favorites....nyway i love beach boys!!!
- 10. My Girl by Chilliwhack
Catchy, different, creative. Even the band name...Chill-A-Whack! had people asking What-The-**** is a Chill-A-Whack? Not a bad marketing strategy. :} A cool song with a nice hook...what more could you ask for?
- 9. Fantasy by Aldo Nova
I can still remember Aldo coming down out of the helicopter on the MTV video and shooting lasers out of his guitar. Sweet! :) A pop-rock song with alot of energy. Life is just a Fantasy, can you live this Fantasy life?
- 8. Change by John Waite
A staple on MTV in the early days. As a former lead singer of the baby's he had a nice little solo career there for awile. Unless you remember the video, you probably don't remember the song. It did not get alot of radio airplay but it should have. His big hit was "Missing You". If you don't know this one however, check it out...you'll be glad you did!
- 7. Only The Lonely by The Motels
A great song, a great video with a sexy lead singer. It is one of those songs that you immediately like when you hear it for the first time. It also features a cool sax solo and an overall smooth sound.
- 6. Talk To Ya Later by The Tubes
Everyone remembers "Shes a Beauty" and it was great also but check out this song and see if you can stay still. You'll be in front of the mirror playing air guitar in no time! :)
- 5. Cars by Gary Newman
With the exception of Little Richard and his song "Tutti Fruity" who is still doing commercials to this day (2003), is there anyone in the 80's who has gotten more mileage from a song? It is featured to this day in car commercials around the world. Not bad for a song that came out in 1980. You can immediately recognize it when you hear it. It's one of those songs that makes you want to put the top down and crank up the radio.
- 4. She Shiela by The Producers
Speaking of an underappreciated band...The Producers fit the bill to a "T". These guys had some great albums with many songs that could hook you in quick and have you singing them before you know it. This song had a great video that featured a beautiful girl that to this day I would put against anyone out there. Every guy in this band has talent and they are still playing together quite frequently (as of 2003) in the Atlanta area. Check out their website and see how many fans of the band are still out there...and rightfully so!
- 3. Wouldn't It Be Good by Nic Kershaw
A great song from a great songwriter. This one makes you think a little which is what Nic is so great at doing. He only had a few hits in the states with this one being the most famous. "The Riddle" was also a great one and Nic is another talent who is under appreciated. Check out his official website if you get the chance. He talkes about his life and his struggles with the music business. A good read for a true 80's fan.
- 2. On The Loose by Saga
Here is a great song that never got it's due in the states. A great band that never got it's due either. What a shame...they have alot to offer. If you are not fimiliar with them, you should be.
- 1. Space Age Love Song by A Flock of Seagulls
The music, the hook, the melodies, the haircut, the video, the feel. It just strikes a cord in your emotions. It has everything for me. It's simplicity is brilliant.
Hey Everybody! Glad to see that there are still some fans of the good 'ol 80's. The decade for great music, great movies, and cool clothes! Come on...you know you had a Members Only jacket and parachute pants! My list was based on the songs that when I hear them... they immediately take me back to that great time in my life. For those of us who grew up in the 80's as a teenager it is hard to believe that some of these songs are over 20 years old already. I, like many others need alot more than 10 songs to make a best of list (maybe 100!) :) I collected a ton of records in the 80's and to this day I am still stuck on them ...and I am 35! Some great selections that everyone has contributed! Here is a quick list for you. If you have not heard of them all check them out, you will like them. Some others that I like ...Don't You Forget About Me- Simple Minds, Eyes Without a Face- Billy Idol, More Than Just The Two of Us- Sneaker, Love is Like a Rock- Donny Iris, I Really Want To Know You- Gary Wright, Just an Illusion- Imagination....on and on and on! If you would like to talk 80's write me at 80sFreak@prodigy.net. Thanks!
- 10. Every Little Thing by The Police
I really love the bass in this song and the way it starts off.
- 9. Another Brick In The Wall by Pink Floyd
- 8. We Didn't Start The Fire by Billy Joel
A lot of the things present then are still around today. Very well done.
- 7. Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles
Sorry, I couldn't leave it out :)
- 6. 99 Red Balloons by Nena
I love the beat in this
- 5. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2
I'm a U2 nut. The Edge is amazing in this song.
- 4. Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by U2
- 3. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
The 80's was the biggest era of one-hit wonders; this was my favorite :)
- 2. Pride by U2
"Hidden" lyrics about Jesus Christ and Martin Luther King
- 1. With Or Without You by U2
So many emotions are in this song. I love U2 :)
Anything by U2
- 10. You`re The Voice by John Farnham
Makes me shiver...
- 9. Toy Soldiers by Martika
Couldn`t miss this one...
- 8. Feels Like Heaven by Fiction Factory
Good sound, good song.
- 7. Back On The Chain Gang by The Pretenders
simply a good song.
- 6. 99 Luftballons by Nena
...nothing more to add:)
- 5. We Belong by Pat Benetar
My favourite love song.
- 4. I Drove All Night by Cindy Lauper
Makes me feel the summer night.
- 3. Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carlisle
Belinda is simply great.
- 2. Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes
- 1. Take On Me by A-ha
This is the perfect feeling.
80`s are great and just 10 songs could never describe enough...:)
By: Joćo de Mancelos
- 10. Luka by Suzanne Vega
heil to the poet of harlem.
- 9. Vienna by Midge Ure And The Ultravox
what a strange and engaging sound! «vienna means nothing to me». didn't it, really?
- 8. Heaven by Bryan Adams
i must have listened to this one a hundred times. at night. in bed. it was one of teh most touching and straight forward songs of the eighties.
- 7. Take On Me by A-ha!
norway should be proud of these guys. perhaps they didn't change the history of music, but they surely changed many hearts.
- 6. Where The Streets Have No Name by U2
probably one of their best songs. the concquered the usa with this one.
- 5. Drive by Cars
i heard this one during the live aid. it was being played on the radio. it was summer. and it was raining outside my window.
- 4. Kayleigh by Marillion
this band was sensitive, bright and delightfully aware of the complexities of love. a great song from the album misplaced childhood.
- 3. Tides by Claire Hammil
wow. the birth of new age.
- 2. Big In Japan by Alphaville
the chill that came from germany. a strong and at the same time beautiful song.
- 1. Dancing In The Dark by Bruce Springsteen
the boss at his best. the lyrics are simply beautiful.
those were great years. i was growing up, there were endless summers and all teh dreams were still possible...
By: Sarah D.
- 10. Culture Club by Time
I admit, Boy George is the KING!!
- 9. Black Planet by Sisters of Mercy
I love the refrences to Los Angeles
- 8. Stigmata by Bauhaus
I first heard this song in the cheesy 80's movie "Night of the Demons" - this song is responsible for making me a goth in the 1st place!! And who doesn't love Mr. Ash??!!
- 7. Too Shy by Kajagoogoo
God, this song was just soo good!
- 6. Burning Up by Madonna
Early Madonna was the best & whether you're punk, goth, glam, new wave or pop - this song is a must!
- 5. Don't you want me by Human League
Fab song & fab singer!!
- 4. Charlotte Sometimes by the Cure
From the best group of the 80's (& beyond) & their best song
- 3. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
Cliche, I know, but still great!
- 2. Brand New Moon by Gene Loves Jezebel
Easily the most under-rated band of all time!! They were sooo awesome & original - & such a great sound!! Deserved much more than they got
- 1. Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order
One of the best 80's dance tracks
God, so many great songs to choose from...after all, the 80's were THE best time in music!! Um, let's see: anything by Motley Crue (still my fave), Hanoi Rocks, the Cult, Depeche Mode, LA Guns, Faster Pussycat, Guns n Roses, Bowie, the Stones, Specimen, Christian Death (I love Rozz AND Valor, thank you..),Inxs (God rest Michael..), Iggy, Toilet Boys, Marvelous 3, Strokes, Donnas, etc..(ok, so some of these are 90's/'00's, so sue me). :)
By: Big G
- 10. West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys
Proof that white men can rap. : )
- 9. The Reflex by Duran Duran
Truly an 80s anthem if there ever was one. The Reflex came at the summit of their amazing career, it also marked the slow slide downward.
- 8. 99 Luftballons by Nena
Amazing political commentary....too bad the English version was watered down with PC.
- 7. Der Kommisar by Falco
Yes, the only reason to love this song is the memories it brings back of your high school cheerleaders dancing to it.
- 6. Jump by Van Halen
Back when MTV was actually watched as a medium for understanding what the corporate music world wanted us to think "what is hot".
- 5. Thriller by Michael Jackson
I don't like him, but what an acheivement from this guy who actually seemed half normal during the 80s.
- 4. Major Tom by Peter Schilling
If you can not admit to dancing like a complete idiot to this song, then you are not a deserving contributor to this list!
- 3. Rebel Yell by Billy Idol
Let's face it, we were all a bit rebelious back then!
- 2. Every Breath You Take by The Police
Sting may have totally sold out with this album, but at least it funded his later work!
- 1. Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode
Come on folks, what song better sums up the excesses and pop beat/melodic synth line than this 80s icon?
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.