Top Ten Cheeziest Videos of the 80s
Below are the lists of submissions to the site....
This page currently edited by: Sylence. Past editor: Junior
By: Kadir İnanır
- 10. Jump by Van Halen
- 9. Careless Whisper by George Michael
i don't know why i love this one, but i do..
- 8. Fallen Angel by Poison
Glam Rock rules!
- 7. Domino Dancing by Pet Shop Boys
it's all the 80's
- 6. Nikita by Elton John
Elton falls in love with a cute East German borderline official. I love the video a lot!!
- 5. La Isla Bonita by Madonna
she's a sex goddess!
- 4. Miracle by Jon Bon Jovi
Bon is riding that huge harley with the tatoos on. Coolest video..
- 3. Take On Me by A-ha
One of the classical videos of the 80's. Truly representing what 80's was like..
- 2. Is This Love by Whitesnake
I love Tawny Kitaen!! (Coverdale is the best)
- 1. Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson
Professional dancing and action!! Annie are you ok? aaaauuuuw! :)
80's pop, rock, heavy metal!! True music, real soul and spirit!
- 10. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
Who decided it would be a good idea to make a video about a day in the life of a redneck?
- 9. Mickey by Toni Basil
We all saw it, we all agree....NEVER AGAIN! (And I'm a cheerleader!)
- 8. Land Of Confusion by Genesis
Actually, I really like this video but why is it that everyone in it has an uncanny resemblance to Ronald Reagan?
- 7. Everlasting Love by Howard Jones
Mummies playing tennis???????? I'm failing to see the connection to the lyrics!
- 6. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
Can someone please explain to me how he can turn the bed into gold by touching it without turning the girl whose in it into gold??
- 5. Do You Believe In Love by Huey Lewis and the News
I really like this video but as a girl, if 7 guys were in bed with me singing to me, I'd wake up!
- 4. Whip It by Devo
We learn about all the different things we can whip!
- 3. Shake It Up by The Cars
We learn about all the different things we can shake!
- 2. Tide Is High by Blondie
Yeah she's gonna be his number one. We get it! We know what she means. Do we really need the number "1" popping up on the screen like we're watching Sesame Street?
- 1. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler
OK when she sings "Turn around bright eyes" there's a whole line of people whose eyes are glowing! It scares the crap out of me!
Yeah they may have been cheesy, but you can't deny that music videos just aren't as good as they were back in the 80's!
By: Michael Guyette
- 10. Express Yourself by Madonna
This is Madonna's most expensive video at 3,500,000. It was worth it though.
- 9. Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
I like this video because of the way the video is in a concert.
- 8. Walk This Way by Aerosmith
If you like heavy metal in the 80's, this is my favorite song of it.
- 7. Billie Jean by MIchael Jackson
Michael Jackson's first hit video was very astounding to the press, with his "elvis" moves on disco floors.
- 6. Mickey by Toni Basil
The humor of this great 80's video strikes to many cheerleaders around the world.
- 5. Every Breath You Take by Police
This is probably the best 80's wedding dance song I've ever heard of.
- 4. Rhythm Nation by Janet Jackson
Watch out big bro, your sister is even with you now in this up-beat video.
- 3. We Didn't Start The Fire by Billy Joel
Billy Joel is a piano icon whom i think uses his ability really good in this video.
- 2. Like A Prayer by Madonna
Madonna at her peak of controversy. Burning crosses, rape scenes, kissing a black jesus, you gotta watch it.
- 1. Thriller by Michael Jackson
Thriller is the video that has really inspired people in going to halloween dances.
The 80's were the raging beginning of what was to come into heavy metal, pop, country, and rap in the 90's into the millenium.
- 10. Don't Come Around Here No More by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
The whole "Alice in Wonderland" on acid concept was so original.
- 9. I Want A New Drug by Huey Lewis & The News
Don't know why, really. I just always liked this one.
- 8. 1999 by Prince & The Revolution
I was never a big Prince fan....but there was something very sensual and energizing about this video....
- 7. Legs by ZZ Top
Who didn't feel the urge to smile when the downtrodden girl comes back transformed and shows her tormentors who's boss?
- 6. Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran
Sexy, sexy, sexy. Like most of the vids from the "Rio" album.
- 5. Love Is A Battlefield by Pat Benetar
Even as a kid, I remember feeling a little twinge of emotion watching this powerful vid.
- 4. Hyperactive by Thomas Dolby
Hilarious. What else is there to say? Great video & great song.
- 3. You Might Think by The Cars
One of their silliest videos.....and one of their most memorable.
- 2. We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister
The "Animal House"-esque beginning to the vid. That made the whole thing. I used to have that whole speech memorized as a teen. ;)
- 1. Save A Prayer by Duran Duran
Gorgeous exotic scenery and wispy images were the perfect visual companion to this song.
- 10. I Want To Break Free by Queen
All the lads of Queen in drag...say no more
- 9. Don't Worry, Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin
I know it is cheesy, but it is still cool
- 8. I Ran by Flock Of Seagulls
The kings of the goofy hair and playing one key for 30 seconds.
- 7. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
To me, this is the worst video ever made! I mean it has Captain Lou in it, and I swear, Cindi had bad clothes even for the 80's
- 6. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
I agree with everyone else on this one...what the heck is with the midget? I mean come on!
- 5. Mickey by Toni Basil
I swear, every time I see this video, I pray for blindness, and that cheerleader with the french braid, she was too chunky to realistically be a cheerleader.
- 4. Big Country by Big Country
What was with the little dance-hop step they kept doing? But if ya wanna look cool, ride an ATV
- 3. Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles
I know that this was the first video shown on MTV. but have we ever asked ourselves why?
- 2. Union Of The Snake by Duran Duran
oh I am soooo tired of the post-nuclear war theme...
- 1. Mexican Radio by Wall Of Voodoo
weird song, and the head coming out of the beans.....ugh
- 10. If She Knew What She Wants by Bangles
Although I adore this band, this video was ridiculous. The girls performed the song on a rotating platform (I still understand the point to this day), with tons of make-up litterally splattered over their otherwise pretty faces. And then there were close-ups of each girl being approached by a guy and having different reactions (kissing, turning down the guy, looking insulted), which proved that great performers aren't necessarily great actresses...
- 9. Gloria by Laura Branigan
If you don't have enough money to make a proper video, then don't make one. If this video cost more than a thousand bucks to make, then I'll just have to shake my head in disbelief.
- 8. Dirty Diana by Michael Jackson
Only idiots could have been mesmerized by this lousy concert clip that supposedly featured an intense performance by Latoya Jackson's twin sister, erm, brother, erm, hermaphrodite, erm, screaming monkey, erm, whatever...
- 7. I Can't Go For That (No Can Do) by Hall & Oates
Ok, cool song. But you have to admit that this is one of the most boring videos ever made. The performance stunk real bad, they both looked stone and stupid, and absolutely nothing happened in the video. Come to think of it, not many of Hall & Oates videos were any good...
- 6. I Didn't Mean To Turn You On by Robert Palmer
I could have listed R.P.'s "Addicted to love", an offensive and sexist video, but this one is even worse than "Addicted to love" for two reasons : 1) it was EXACTLY THE SAME and 2) you actually had to listen to the song while watching it, unless you turned down your TV's volume.
- 5. Secret Lovers by Atlantic Starr
It looked like a cheap soap opera filmed on your Uncle Larry's home camera. Lousy acting from disgustingly made-up band members, inane plot and innappropriate concert shots only made it worse.
- 4. Nothing At All by Heart
This one marked the beginning of Heart's record company desperately trying by all means to disguise the weight gains of lead singer Ann Wilson. It was cruel and unnecessary, since the ladies of Heart are amazingly talented artists. The scene where Ann Wilson looks half-drunk and sits on a bed while watching her slim sister Nancy try on various whore outfits, is positively dreadful. Barely watchable.
- 3. Victims by Culture Club
This video might have been cool (and the song is hauntingly gorgeous,)but it is ruined by the Worst Lipsynch Ever Performed! It is totally off and it shows right from the beginning of the video. Keeps you from appreciating the video itself. Too bad.
- 2. Purple Rain by Prince And The Revolution
The only thing that made this video different than its predecessors ("When doves cry" and "Let's go crazy") was the song itself. Same clips from the movie, shown almost in the same running order. You don't have to make a video if you're not really into it...
- 1. The Final Countdown by Europe
An ultra-lame performance video that was so poorly shot that you could barely see the band through the stage lights. Which might not be such a bad thing, when you think of it.
There's one that I wanted to include, which was called "Ready to dance" or something like that, and it featured a morbidly obese, middle-aged male singer in lots of disgusting black and white slow motion shots, but I couldn't remember who it was. If I had, it would have earned my # 1 spot.
- 10. Fight For Your Right (To Party) by Beastie Boys
Really Funny Video With Those Geeks that turn out to like the Beastie Boys' Style
- 9. Ricky by Weird Al Yankovic
Parody of "Ricky"
- 8. UHF by Weird Al Yankovic
Parodys of other videos ( Not Song) and Clips from the movie
- 7. This Note's For You by Neil Young
I love 80's advertisments and their parody's
- 6. Whip It by Devo
Cheeeesy! and weird too!
- 5. It's The End Of The World As We Know It by R.E.M.
Cute dog, 12-13 year old kid
- 4. She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby
Good song, Good Video, That's all I can Say.
- 3. Thriller by Michael Jackson
It's just not fair to call thriller a Music Video.
- 2. Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles
Not the first music video, but it was the first time anyone got to see it, and how can you not remember that tune 3..2..1... Ladies and gentlemen, Rock And Roll!
- 1. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits
The video looks kinda stupid because of the computer animation butit's still good and It was the first time
- 10. Westend Girls by The Pet Shop Boys
One of my favorite songs but the video was aweful. Nothing but quick flashes of a day in London.
- 9. I Can't Wait by Nu Shooz
What's with the dog in sunglasses and wait was she fixing at the table?
- 8. Simply Irresistible by Robert Palmer
Ok, Ok! So he likes models but by this third video it was overkill!
- 7. Rock The Casbah by The Clash
They were really grasping for straws when making this video. I loved the camo outfits with the oil wells in the back ground. I really thought I was in the Middle East!
- 6. Right On Track by The Breakfast Club
Talk about cheesy! Those girls in chicken costumes really spiced up the video. They were really needed, not!
- 5. I'll Tumble For You by Culture Club
Really bad. Must have put this together in one afternoon.
- 4. New Moon On Monday by Duran Duran
The Kings of cheesy videos. I didn't get this one but I din't get the song either.
- 3. Straight Up by Paula Abdul
What's with the tap dance and those weird glasses at the beginning? It made her look bad!
- 2. I Ran by Flock Of Seaguls
They looked for like a flock of gay gulls. Those shirts were too much. And the video itself, around and around we go!
- 1. Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham!
Man, if you could guess George Michael was gay back in '85 by this video, the he's your man!
Don't get me wrong, I did like most of these videos.
Previous List or Next List
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Videos submission page.