In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. A Mirage by The Essence
Great guitar song
- 9. Nowhere Girl by B-Movie
I wish it was from Depeche ;-)
- 8. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out by The Smiths
It makes me cry
- 7. Fantasy girl by Johnny O
Beautiful song, great memories fo me
- 6. Forever Young by Alphaville
- 5. The Great Commandment by Camouflage
- 4. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2
how can i say!
- 3. Butterfly On A Wheel by The Mission
I don't know too much songs from this band, but this one is wonderfull
- 2. Charlotte Sometimes by The Cure
Second best band in the world, Robert Smith is a poet
- 1. Never Let Me Down Again by Depeche Mode
greatest band ever, Never let me down again isn't their best song, their best song is Enjoy the Silence, the best song in history, but it's from the 90's
I'm only 22 years oldnow but I love the 80's music, there are a lot of great songs in the 80's, also find these: Every song from Depeche Mode and The Cure, the best bands in the world, some anthems from The Pixies like Debaser,Here comes your man, Where is my mind or Dig for fire, The Smiths, greatest guitar-pop band and a lot of synth-dance-new wave songs like Bolero by Fancy, Golden Dreams by nvisible Limits, I like Chopin by Gazebo and many others.
By: B. Logan
- 10. She Drives Me Crazy by Fine Young Cannibals
This song capped off the decade with a old skool/new age feel, I loved it!
- 9. Run to You by Bryan Adams
I have a put a canadian on list!
- 8. Atomic by Blondie
the song is so catchy!
- 7. Billie Jean by Micheal Jackson
Who could forget this guy, the 80's were definetly his decade.
- 6. Rock You Like a Hurricane by The Scorpions
gotta love 80's rock
- 5. White Wedding by Billy Idol
What ever happened to this guy?
- 4. I Ran by A Flock of Seagulls
a beam of light with you
- 3. Money for Nothing by Dire Straights
- 2. Africa by Toto
The first time I heard this song I was blown away
- 1. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
When i think of the 80's, I hear this song.
I only lived three years in the 80's but I consider them the best years of my life! 1987 is the best year!
- 10. So Alive by Love And Rockets
I love that guys voice!
- 9. Midnight Blue by Lou Gramm
It's got the lyrics, the beat, and sounds great cranked!
- 8. The Promise by When In Rome
I think I'm the only person who remembers this song...
- 7. When I'm With You by Sheriff
Still gives me chills...
- 6. Crazy For You by Madonna
- 5. The Way You Make Me Feel by Micheal Jackson
Anything by M.J. from the 80's deserves a place on this list. But, this song's my fav by him.
- 4. Wishing Well by Terence Trent D'Arby
- 3. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
Just damn good!
- 2. Melt With You by Modern English
Made a smooth transition into a classic modern rock song still played in heavy rotation.
- 1. With Or Without You by U2
A completely timeless song by a completely timeless band
By: Felix Zabala
- 10. When Doves Cry by Prince
Arguably the best artistic pop song of the decade...still very fresh when listened to today.
- 9. Burning Down the House by Talking Heads
One of the most influential songs by one of the most inluentiual bands of that era.
- 8. Hold Me Now by Thompson Twins
"I have a picture, pinned to my wall..."
- 7. Need You Tonight by INXS
The sexiest dance song of all time. Arguably one of the best groups of the whole era! Very innovative music videos from that album.
- 6. Whip It! by Devo
Song from band that made nerds & nerdy cool! Helped Put MTV on the map...which led to other great songs/groups. Mothersbaughs do lots of cartoon music now too!
- 5. Love plus One/Favorite Shirts(Boy Meets Girl) by Haircut 100
Sorry to cheat hear with two songs-unavoidale can never think of one without the other. Upbeat & happy. The whole album is awesome!
- 4. Love My Way by Psychedilic Furs
Haunting..."goth"ic before "goth" became a phrase
- 3. Sunday, Bloody Sunday by U2
Awesome song with political message.
- 2. Blasphemous Rumors by Depeche Mode
Dark, moody, poignant comment on society.
- 1. Blue Monday by New Order
The defining "club song" of all time!
Most my choices were "progressive" due to nature of the 80's. Very difficult to leave out some of the rap, and Nirvana. I am sure that if I re-did this list tomorrow some of my choices would have been different!
- 10. Your Love by Lime
- 9. Sara Perche Ti Amo by Ricchi E Poveri
very very very good italian song, i love it !
- 8. Party All The Time by Eddie Murphy
sound of the 80's, yeah!
- 7. The Final Countdown by Europe
dadadada da dadada da da........it's the final countdown !!!
- 6. Pass The Dutchie by Musical Youth
reggae song with children voices in the chorus, wonderful it's all my youth !!!!
- 5. Nothing Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship
- 4. Un Autre Monde by Telephone
wonderful song!!!!!!!!! good sound !!!!!!!!!!!!
- 3. La Isla Bonita by Madonna
when we talk about 80's we're obliged to mention Madonna, aren't we ? why this song ? because it's the only one of all her songs which was #1 in France (in 1986)
- 2. When The Rain Begins To Fall by Jermaine Jackson & Pia Zadora
i love the video of this song !!!!!!
- 1. Paradise Mi Amor by Lune De Miel
wonderful song of 1985
By: Debra Cassar
- 10. Ride on Time by Black Box
- 9. Reward by Teardrop Explodes
- 8. Sometimes by Erasure
- 7. Smalltown Boy by Bronski Beat
- 6. Stop by Sam Brown
- 5. Heaven 17 by Temptation
- 4. Soft Cell by Tainted Love
- 3. Human League by Don't You Want Me?
- 2. Dead or Alive by You Spin Me Round
- 1. Stop! by Erasure
- 10. Careless Whisper. by Wham!
OK so you're probabley not into the bubble gum stuff either like wake me up before you go go... bu this one is in a CLASS by itself! It is in the vein of stuff you expect from someone more spanish like Julio Iglesias... but only George Michaels put the right touch to it! I'm not always a big sax enthusiast but this and the other(#9) are definate exceptions.
- 9. You Belong To The City. by Glenn Frey
What a TV show! I think I saw every one and it was the coolest thing too when it was big. Miami Vice is in this song.
- 8. Axel F by Herbie Hancock
What a mpvie...what a song! It made alot of us wanna move.
- 7. Beat Street by Melle Mel
Well I went out and got some parachute pants just like everyone else and got some cardboard to do the butt spin on too!
- 6. Playin With The Queen Of Hearts. by Juice Newton
My 5th grade teacher sang this in her country rock band at our school back in 82 or 83.
- 5. Another One Bites The Dust. by Queen
You know this was big back then.
- 4. Beat It by Ms. Michael Jackson
Well the whole albumn was cool even though he changed after that, but this was definately a biggy.
- 3. Mr. Roboto by Styx
Mr. Roboto was back there too. Secret secret I got a secret...Kill roy kill roy... God that was awesome back in the day!
- 2. Centerfold by J Giles Band
Another I remember from the 4th grade.
- 1. Blonde by Call Me
The first song I remember from the 80's.
Well I've left of so much like for instance Everybody wants to rule the world by Tears for Fears, but I think I could put at least 100 songs from the 80's on the same plane. A perfect 10 for all of those oldies but goodies from the 50's and 80's!!!
By: Sean Ingram
- 10. Everybody Wants Some by Van Halen (David Lee Roth era)
"Better Off Dead" had a great rendition of it with the hamburger dancing on the grill while John Cusack was playing "mad scientist" in the kitchen until the big-bad boss man walks in on him.
- 9. Ewok Celebration Song/Rap by MECO
C-3PO rapping? Man, that's too much! Anyway it was on the charts for a short time.
- 8. Everybody Dance by Ta Mara And The Scene
Great dance track with the electronic guitar effects on that solo. Where is she now?
- 7. One Of the Living (Mad Max:Beyond Thunderdome) by Tina Turner
Great Song for a great movie sequel in the Mad Max trilogy. I'm glad that she/her character wasn't killed off in the movie.
- 6. Waterfall by Wendy And Lisa
They had that video with Lisa playing this grand piano with water flowing inside of it. Damn, that was COOL! Wendy let in to that guitar of hers on that solo.
- 5. Shadows Of The Night by Pat Benatar
Great costume video! She is a great singer!
- 4. Captain Of Her Heart by Double
This song had an awesome video to it. The whole song was haunting. I love it even to this day
- 3. Shot In The Dark by Ozzy Osbourne
Looked better than he does now.
- 2. Trouble by Lindsey Buckingham
- 1. Tall Cool One by Robert Plant
Saw him in Richmond, Virginia back in 1990 with the Black Crowes opening. Great Show!!
By: paula smith
- 10. Africa by Toto
- 9. Drive by Cars
- 8. Carry by Europe
- 7. Doors by Light My Fire
- 6. Lady In Red by Erick Clapton
- 5. Depeche Mode by Personal Jesus
- 4. Paloma San Basilio by Juntos
- 3. Soda Stereo by Juegos De Seducción
- 2. La Isla Bonita by Madonna
- 1. Dreams by Van Halen
By: andy m
- 10. She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby
Catchy, but when you were a 15 year old male the girls in the video were the main attraction.
- 9. Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
Dunno why but I just loved this song. Has to be an 80's classic.
- 8. Africa by Toto
Smooth and very easy on the ear.
- 7. Land Down Under by Men At Work
Being Australian I love this song. Will be forever an Australian icon.
- 6. West End Girsl by Pet Shop Boys
Pioneers in the 80's. Their music still has a modern feel even today.
- 5. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
Seems to be a common favourite, and rightly so. Brings back great memories with this great song.
- 4. Vienna by Ultravox
Suave, a classy 80's piece.
- 3. Belfast Child by Simple Minds
Close your eyes and concentrate on this song. Feel the emotion with a Celtic musical backdrop.
- 2. Billy Jean by Michael Jackson
The master at his brilliant best.
- 1. Telegraph Road by Dire Straits
A classic epic of a song. The guitar build-up is stirring and superb.
There are so many great 80's songs. We all have differing views of what constitutes a top ten. You all have chosen some fantastic songs in your lists.
By: Mucho Bwaks (ADMU 1992-1996)
- 10. The People Who Grinned Themselves to Death by The Housemartins
- 9. Panic / Ask Me by The Smiths
- 8. State of Art by Friends Again
- 7. Thank You by Pale Fountains
- 6. The Bridge by Cactus World News
- 5. Whatever Possessed You by The Care
- 4. Brighter by Railway Children
- 3. Leave Me Alone by New Order
does anyone have the tab of this? or a nokia ringtone/ .rtx file?
- 2. When All's Well by Everything But The Girl
one of the most distinct female voices in the world. continuously reinventing in a subpop Madonna sort of way
- 1. Total Recall by The Sound
it's all such a blur as time goes so quickly....
XB102, NU107.5, Social D Monile, Jingle Mag, DJ Mark Cross, Roel Lazo, the Brotherhood & Tommy Lozada: you made it possible. Thank you.
- 10. Like A Virgin by Madonna
The video vixen makes her smashing debut.
- 9. Urgent by Foreigner
I happen to find a song about booty calls even existing fascinating.
- 8. Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins
C'mon, it's the theme to Top Gun.
- 7. Carribean Queen by Billy Ocean
Feel that infectous groove.
- 6. Always Something There To Remind Me by Naked eyes
Mellow, but not whimpy.
- 5. St. Elmo's Fire (man In Motion) by John Parr
Movie good. Song better.
- 4. Time For Me To Fly by REO Speedwagon
Overall, best 80's band in my book.
- 3. (i Just) Died In Your Arms Tonite by Cutting crew
Great for cruising.
- 2. Billie Jean by Micheal Jackson
Can you moonwalk? Ok, then.
- 1. I Ran (so Far Away) by A Flock of Seagulls
With a name like that, you'd think they'd have more staying power.
By: Helen a.k.a. Phoenix
- 10. Final Countdown by Europe
Powerful and energetic, expressive and bright.
- 9. I like Chopin by Gazebo
A melody for rainy days and romantic hearts.
- 8. Bolero by Fancy
I just love it!
- 7. Sahara Night by F.R. David
One of the most representative creations of the high-energy genious.
- 6. Only You by Savage
Slightly melancholic, beautiful melody. Italo-disco is great!
- 5. Take On Me by A-Ha
Nice up-tempo composition with the nostalgic smell of the 80s.
- 4. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
That's already classics.
- 3. Thriller by Michael Jackson
A true masterpiece by the King of Pop - and what a video!
- 2. Big In Japan by Alphaville
Catchy and melodious, a perfect new-wave style example.
- 1. Forever Young by Alphaville
The Hymn of youth. The hope and the light. The song for-ever. Mesmerizing, hypnotizing, touching, giving chills. Too many epithets? Well, it's Alphaville - they are still the best and will ever be!
By: Thomas J. Clark, Jr., Esq., PhD
- 10. Gypsy by Fleetwood Mac
- 9. Doritos and Yoohoo by Homie and the Don'cha Know Mees
- 8. Fight for Your Right (to Party) by Beasties
- 7. Pac Man Fever by Some Fat Hillbilly Dudes
The song is still stuck in my head.
- 6. On My Own by Patti Labelle/Michael McDonald
- 5. I'm on Fire by The Boss
- 4. I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man by Prince
- 3. Wasted Years by Iron Maiden
The ULTIMATE party/driving headbanger.
- 2. Tough Guys by REO Speedwagon
Little Rascals song.
- 1. Jump by Van Halen
It still a great tune to crank in the truck. I loved this song!
This website is hysterical :)
- 10. Panama by Van Halen
Big hair, Spandex, DLR's ass hanging out, Eddie drugging it up, Michael boozing up via Jack Daniels, Alex smoking like a chimmeny... "I sit down, ease the seat back..." I mentioned the sex things already right?
- 9. Bigmouth Strikes Again by Morrissey
"Sweetness, sweetness I was only joking when I said I'd like to smash every tooth in your head; Sweetness, sweetness I was only joking when I said by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed." Now this is one guy who missed the concept of happy-go-lucky times in the 80s! Morrissey rules!
- 8. Fight for Your Right to Party by Bestie Boys
Nothing like three guys from the 'burbs picking up on the ultimate sex, drugs and..... rap?!?!?!
- 7. In the Air Tonight/Smugglers' Blues by Phil Collins/Glenn Frey
Miami Vice. The ULTIMATE 80s show! 'Nuff said!
- 6. Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears
What a great song for such a typical 80s movie (Real Genius). Sort of like the other theme songs that went with Pretty in Pink, Breakfst Club, 16 Candles, St. Elmos Fire, etc...
- 5. Dancin' with Myself by Billy Idol
The hair! The Scowl! The Road Warrior outfit! The video with him bouncing up and down for 3 minutes on a roof top only to be electricuted at the end?????
- 4. Legs by ZZ Top
Did I mention sex was part of the 80s?
- 3. I'm On My Way by Motley Crue
Not the first, but definitely the best big hair/hard rock band acting sensative for the women to get in their... well you know the rest of the story.
- 2. 1999 by Prince
Any song about partying in the future is a good choice... Everyone had conversations about what they would be doing on Dec 31, 1999.
- 1. 40 by U2
It always got you psyched up at the right times... Beats Sunday, Bloody Sunday AND News Years Day in my opinion.
The Cure, INXS, any UK syntha-pop artist (Pet Shop Boys, Psychadelic Furs, English Beat, Depeche Mode, Level 42, Squeeze, Spandau Ballet... you name it!), Madonna -- but that's because she is the 80s herself (her mucis is terrible), Peter Gabriel (specifically, "So!"), any big hair band (Warrant, Guns 'n Roses, Skid Row, Stryper, Poison.. this list is endless!), Talking Heads/David Byrne, Duran Duran, Culture Club... andany other band I may have missed from "The Wedding Singer," "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," "Last American Virgin" or John Hughes movie soundtracks.
- 10. Here Comes Your Man by Pixies
It's a fuck*** geat song!
- 9. This is the Day by The The
to dance with friends
- 8. Is This Love? by Whitesnake
- 7. Torch by SoftCell
Everybody knows this songs but nobody knows who sing.
- 6. Back On The Chain Gang by The Pretenders
it's a music for friends.
- 5. Modern Love by David Bowie
bowie is the king
- 4. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cindy Lauper
- 3. Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes
It's sensual... It looks like a lesbian song.
- 2. Boys don't Cry by The Cure
It's a song of a whole gothic generation. Cool, modern.
- 1. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out by The Smiths
This song is sad, romantic and looks like a prophecy...
- 10. Johnny and Mary by Robert Palmer
Still can't believe it's by him.
- 9. Somebody by Depeche Mode
- 8. Synchronicity by The Police
I had to think about which I preferred, this one or Every Breath You Take. Synchronicity edges out EBYT today.
- 7. Who Wants To Live Forever by Queen
I've listened to a wide range of rock music, hence the departure. A good song's a good song no matter the style.
- 6. True by Spandau Ballet
The crime is that I couldn't hear this song for 15 years. Once it left the charts, nobody played it anymore until about 6 years ago.
- 5. Blaspemous Rumours by Depeche Mode
- 4. Bizarre Love Triangle by New Order
- 3. Shout by Tears for Fears
- 2. Here is the House by Depeche Mode
- 1. But Not Tonight by Depeche Mode
These aren't in any order, and thanks to some of the other lists reminding me of songs that really should be on a top 100 list, but I'm finding few quite qualify for my personal top 10. Sorry for all the DM...they have so many songs, and it seems I really consider quite a few to be the best songs of the 80s.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.