In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
By: Paddy Mul
- 10. Oh Well by Oh Well
Very rear i can't help what shape im in, i can't sing i aint pretty and my legs are thing! Brutally honest oh well! OH WELL!
- 9. Rock The Casbah by The Clash
What a great tune and still sounds good today! They still haven't caught that casper in the streets.
- 8. Been In Love Before by Cutting Crew
Without doubt the best slow set song of the 80s just listen to the words and you will agree. Ive been in love before the hardest part is when your in it! So True!
- 7. Captain Of Her Heart by Double
Everybody has a captain of there heart-too long ago, too long apart she couldn't wait another day for THE CAPTAIN OF HER HEART
- 6. Flesh For Fantasy by Billy Idol
In my opionion the best rock singer of the 80s what a genius nothing was too difficult for Mr Idol-Enjoy the crime do your time what a great way to finish.
- 5. Straight Up by Paula Adbul
What a terrific song she didn't have many but she had such a powerful voice!
- 4. I Want To Be Adored by The Stone Roses
I wanta I wanta I wanta be adored I wanta I wanta I wanta be adored i got to be adored
- 3. Under the milky way by The Church
Lower the curtain down in Memphis Lower the curtain down tonite i go no time for private consolation-what a one hit wonder
- 2. Crazy by Icehouse
Brill Aussie band well u got to be crazy baby to want a guy like me
- 1. Skin Deep by The Stranglers
Better watch out-watch out for the skin deep better watch out for the Skin Deep
Theres only generation for music and yes i do admit it and so do you-im an 80s freak-you will never hear music like this again im afraid but at least we have the memories.
By: kemar ricketts
- 10. Dreaming by Vanessa Williams
This is one of my favourite songs,i make sure to turn up the radio whenever i hear it playing
- 9. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Journey
a good song to listen to for go-getters
- 8. Nikita by Elton John
Another of this man's great songs
- 7. Waiting For A Girl Like You by Foreigner
You just have to listen to this song,another hit by the man who sang:i wanna know what love is
- 6. Purple Rain by Prince
A very good song by Prince from the Purple Rain Soundtrack
- 5. You've Got It all by The Jets
One of the best songs from the Jets. can seem to be a sad love song
- 4. Careless Whisper by Wham
One of George Michael's best song.a really good love song and the instrumentals are good too
- 3. Lonely Is The Night by Air Supply
This is really a good love song and i listen to it over and over.
- 2. Is La Bonita by Madonna
I really like the instumentals,and it gives a feeling that u are really on a spanish island
- 1. Seasons Change by Expose
This is really an awesome slow song about love.one of my favourites
By: Rob Freve
- 10. Natural Science by Rush
The most endangered species, the honest man Will still survive annihilation Forming a world state of integrity Sensitive, open, and strong
- 9. The Promise by When in Rome
I'm sorry, but I'm just thinking of the right words to say. I know they don't sound the way I planned them to be. And if I had to walk the world, I'd make you fall for me, I promise you, I promise you I will.
- 8. One Thing Leads to Another by The Fixx
It's getting rough, off the cuff I've got to say enough's enough
- 7. The Warrior by Scandal featuring Patty Smyth
Shootin' at the walls of heartache, bang! bang!
- 6. Steppin' Out by Joe Jackson
Donít you wonder what weíll find Steppin out tonight
- 5. Fascination by Human League
And many fantasies were learned on that day.
- 4. Someday, Someway by Marshall Crenshaw
I canít stand to see you sad, I canít bear to hear you cry If you canít tell me what you need all I can do is wonder why
- 3. Freewill by Rush
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.
- 2. She's a Beauty by The Tubes
don't fall in love...
- 1. In a Big Country by Big Country
I thought that pain and truth were things that really mattered But you can't stay here with every single hope you had shattered
- 10. Devil Inside by INXS
- 9. Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode
- 8. Freedom by Wham!
I love the the beginning. Do do do hey hey hey
- 7. Night and Day by Al B. Sure
- 6. True by Spandau Ballet
- 5. Head Over Heels by Tears for Fears
- 4. anything by Duran Duran by Duran Duran
They make the greatest music. I love all their songs. I can't choose which one belongs on this list.
- 3. Something about you by Level 42
- 2. Heart & Soul by T'pau
- 1. Faithfully by Journey
This will be my wedding song.
I absolutely love 80s music
- 10. Forever Young by Alphaville
Now selling cars, but before...oh.....the memories
- 9. Whip It by Devo
- 8. Video Killed the Radio Star by Buggles
what a great song
- 7. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2
U2 is amazing
- 6. Show Must Go On by Queen
I still get chills
- 5. Love is a battlefield by Pat Benetar
- 4. Like a Prayer by Madonna
Madonna will always live
- 3. Girls Just wanna have fun by Cindi Lauper
i sing this song all the time
- 2. You spin me right round (like a record) by Dead or alive
really catchy...and awesome
- 1. Mr Robato by Styx
Awesome song. I'm kilroy!
- 10. Uptown Girl by Billy Joel
The song that gave hope to all those guys out there who thought they couldn't find a drop dead gorgeous girl!
- 9. Karma Chameleon by Culture Club
I just really love this song. Don't know why...don't really care why either.
- 8. Faithfully by Journey
An awesome ballad by an awesome band. It will probably end up being my wedding song.
- 7. Can't Fight This Feeling by REO Speedwagon
Still reminds me of my first real crush to this day even though we're still friends after all these years.
- 6. Glory Days by Bruce Springsteen
A good-old reminder that maybe high school wasn't that bad after all!
- 5. Footloose by Kenny Loggins
The King of the 80s soundtrack! One of my favorite songs from one of my favorite movies! It just makes me wanna get up and DANCE!
- 4. Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House
It's so funny that when 90210 ended, they played this song a lot, when in fact the song came out long before the show ever started! Nonetheless, it's still a great song and I love it just the same!
- 3. Come on Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners
Probably my favorite one-hit wodner of all time!
- 2. Pour Some Sugar on Me by Def Leppard
I still have great memories of singing this song in the back of the bus on the way to school every morning!
- 1. Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi
It's still my all-time favorite song EVER!
So many memories....so little space to include them all. Some of the best times of my life were in the 80s. Let them live on!!!!!!!!!
Love the 80s! Keep 'em rockin'!!!!
By: Paddy Maguire
- 10. When We Was Fab by George Harrison
Excellent track on his Cloud Nine album from 87,better than Got My Mind Set On You in my opinion,which was on the same album.
- 9. Shake The Disease by Depeche Mode
For the quiet type.YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS FOR ME TO SHAKE THE DISEASE THAT TAKES OVER MY TONGUE IN SITUATIONS LIKE THESE.
- 8. Why by Bronski Beat
Absolute brilliant track,should be played in nightclubs.Jimmy Sommerville is great at the climax.
- 7. Golden Brown by The Stranglers
Saw the video for it the other night and it reminded me just how great the tune is.A unique sound
- 6. Oh Well by Oh Well
One hit wonder,a very short song with only a handful of lyrics but its my theme tune.I aint pretty and my legs are thin!
- 5. Camouflage by Stan Ridgeway
Love them Vietnam songs.F**k off to the BBC for pulling the plug and not showing his performance on TOTP2
- 4. Skin Deep by The Stranglers
Sensational tune,sensational video.Beauty is skin deep
- 3. Talk Talk by Lifes what you make It
- 2. Talk Talk by Pictures of Bernadette
- 1. Talk Talk by Talk Talk
Go to www.sun80s.com if you wanna see a crap eighties site
By: Dennis Shen
- 10. Janie's Got a Gun by Aerosmith
great song with an actual motive in mind. great message and music video accompanying it. Pump is my fav Aerosmith album because of this huge hit.
- 9. Don't Stop Believin' by Journey
Wow, the tune to this song is just great. I'm not a huge Journey fan but this song deserves a spot in the top 10. Escape was certainly a tight album.
- 8. Foolin' by Def Leppard
Pyromania was simply an amazing album. And I'm not F-F-F-Foolin' you.
- 7. I'll be There for You by Bon Jovi
What a chick song. But, this power ballad song defined the 80s in many ways so it gets a top 10 placing.
- 6. Paradise City by Guns N' Roses
puracy in the realm of rock n' roll. rock anthems dont get any better than this. guitar, guitar, guitar, and well... more guitar. The music video for this song is great and the six minutes of Paradise City can be played over and over again to no tiring. i mean come on "take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty" - can u really complain?
- 5. Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi
the mass hysteria about the band and song in the mid-80s is ridiculous. a great song, definitely Bon Jovi at their best. Stadium rock at its best. Slippery when Wet earned a spot as one of the top selling albums ever and this song is the top reason why.
- 4. Patience by Guns N' Roses
showed an emotional side to the band in this G'n'R Lies song. possibly one of the most widely covered songs ever. the acoustics are great as is the message behind the song. awesome music video also. and yea, almost demonstrated that Axl's whistling ability.
- 3. Rock of Ages by Def Leppard
"rock of ages, rock of ages, keep rollin', rock and rollin'" Well, after going to a Def Leppard concert, this is the lone song that sticks out in my mind- what a great rock anthem
- 2. Love Bites by Def Leppard
My favorite power ballad as this genre of music became known. Possibly the greatest performance by a man with only one arm as well... drummer Rick Allen. Rock God Joe Elliott delivered some of the highest notes heard by man in the chorus and the ideal Def Leppard guitars accompanied. Hysteria is one of the best albums ever and this song is one of the main elements.
- 1. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses
Best band ever - best song ever. Greatest rock ballad ever written by a group that broke through borders w/ their debut album. Defining lyrics by Axl, rockin' guitar solos by Slash, and overall outstanding backup by rhythm guitarist Izzy, bassist Duff, and drummer Steven. Best song of 1987 and it still is today.
11) "Pour Some Sugar on Me" by Def Leppard 12) "Photograph" by Def Leppard 13) "Here I Go Again" by Whitesnake 14) "Rock You Like a Hurricane" by Scorpions 15) "Armaggedon It" by Def Leppard 16) "Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi 17) "Women" by Def Leppard 18) "Open Arms" by Journey 19) "Final Countdown" by Europe 20) "Angel" by Aerosmith 21) "Jump" by Van Halen 22) "Lay Your Hands on Me" by Bon Jovi 23) "Heaven" by Warrant 24) "Is this Love" by Whitesnake 25) "Back in Black" by AC/DC
- 10. Animal by Def Leppard
A song that never got the respect it deserved
- 9. What's Love Got To Do With It by Tina Turner
Her comeback song
- 8. With or Without You by U2
Great mellow vocals and song.
- 7. Faith by George Michael
Still listening to this little ditty.
- 6. Learning to Fly by Pink Floyd
- 5. Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams
- 4. Down Boys by Warrant
- 3. Personal Jesus by NIN
- 2. Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House
- 1. Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield
I have always had a little girl crush.
I could make a ton of these lists.
- 10. Whip It (1980) by DEVO
Tunes got stuck in the ear, and the video was just a hoot
- 9. Jump (1984) by Van Halen
Now is this a genuine classic or what?
- 8. Heaven is Waiting (1983) by The Danse Society
One of the most underrated Goth bands of the 80's. Sadly missed here.
- 7. The Unforgettable Fire (1985) by U2
Tough decision to choose a song from U2, but this one did it for me.
- 6. Promised You A Miracle (1982) by Simple Minds
This used to be the time when every Simple Minds album sounded different and was a piece of art. Sadly not after 1985...
- 5. Relax (1984) by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Quite hard to relax with that one, especially when you are about to storm the dancefloor once it's tunes start.
- 4. Temple Of Love (1985) by Sisters of Mercy
The godfathers of 80's goth at their peak
- 3. Fade to Grey (1981) by Visage
No need to comment here. Just a really fantastic song.
- 2. Someone, Somewhere In Summertime (1982) by Simple Minds
One of their finest songs ever. Sweet and sticky, but great.
- 1. Are 'Friends' Electric (1979) by Tubeway Army (Gary Numan)
Ok, ok, strictly spoken this is not an 80's song. But the whole mood and style definitely is an early reminder of things to come.
Hard to make up a list like this, especially when you also listened to so-called "off-beat" stuff. I'd also add "Down in the Park" by Gary Numan, "Blue Highway" by Billy Idol, "Save A Prayer" by Duran Duran, the entire works of Front242, "Take on Me" by A-Ha, "Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats and Alien Sex Fiends "Acid Bath" album
- 10. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
A really bouncy song. Really liked the violins.
- 9. She-Bop by Cyndi Lauper
I was singing this song when I was too little to know what it was really about. When I told my husband, he didn't believe me.
- 8. Say The Word by Arcadia
Okay, so technically this isn't Duran Duran... One of my favorites that no one outside of Duranie circles really remembers.
- 7. One Night In Bangkok by Murray Head
Another favorite of mine. Thought it was nifty when I found out that he is the brother of the actor who played Giles in Buffy. Yes, I am full of useless info like that.
- 6. Don't You Want Me by Human League
I really liked this band a lot when I was thirteen. Especially this song.
- 5. Major Tom by Peter Schillings
Love, love, love this song. Loved the video too. He was such a cutie... Whatever happened to him anyway?
- 4. Eyes Of a Stranger by Duran Duran
I'm a big Duran Duran fan (even saw them in Raleigh, NC August of 2000), but I didn't want to makes this a list of Duran Duran songs. This has always been a huge favorite of mine.
- 3. Down In the Park by Gary Numan
This is the song that makes my husband suspicious of drug use. Probably because whenever I listen to this one I always play the Marilyn Manson cover right after (even though I'm not a Manson fan). Kind of creepy, but it gives me the chills.
- 2. Strip by Adam Ant
Almost put Goody Two Shoes down, but remembered this was my favorite. Very catchy.
- 1. Mexican Radio by Wall Of Voodoo
This is the first song that comes to my head whenever someone asks me for a favorite. It's one that I have in my car radio, and whenever I drive through town, other drivers kind of stare at me funny whenever I sing along with it. Not sure why its my favorite... Just think its catchy...
By: syamsul ariffin abdul karim
- 10. Against All Odds (take A Look At Me) by Phil Collins
most favourite phil collins' songs...very touchy song too
- 9. Escapade by Janet Jackson
one of my favourite pop dance music...love to dance to the music
- 8. Live To Tell by Madonna
This song makes me want to cry and wonder what could happen in the future for me
- 7. Livin' On The Prayer by Bon Jovi
this is one of my most favourite rock ballad....great music arrangement and cool lyrics
- 6. When The Children Cry by White Lion
A very provocative song with a positive message and advice to the listeners and the melody is breathtaking
- 5. Is This Love by Whitesnake
A very romantic song that always been remembered by couples who is very much in love
- 4. I Wanna Dance With Somebody by Whitney Houston
Great dance song ever!
- 3. Heaven by Bryan Adams
This songs always bring back memories of the old days and the melody is fantastic
- 2. Forever Young by Alphaville
The very thoughtful lyrics and the enchanting melody of the song makes me feel calm and very tranquil
- 1. Beat It by Micheal Jackson
This song makes me wanna dance and sing whenever i hear it on the radio. The melody and the rythm is totally out of this world, man!
Other than those ten, i also lke the group, tears for fears, duran duran, wham!, Jefferson Starship, Spandau Ballet, U2, Pet shop boys, johnny hates jazz and Bananarama
- 10. Deliverance by Mission UK
- 9. Ballad of Bodmin Pill by New Model Army
- 8. Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
- 7. All across the nation by Radio Heart featuring Gary Numan
- 6. The Sparrows and the Nightingales by Wolfsheim
- 5. Israel by Siouxsie and the Banshees
- 4. White Wedding by Billy Idol
- 3. Troubled Soul by Clan of Xymox
- 2. Marian by Sisters of Mercy
- 1. Charlotte Sometimes by The Cure
There ara more groups who deserve to be in those list such as Depeche Mode, Little Nemo, Anne Clark, Mighty Lemon Drops, Icehouse, KRB, Bolshoi, Bauhaus, Peter Murphy, Peter Schilling, Silencers, Simple Minds, Somewhere Over England, Talk Talk, Then Jerico, Waterboys, The Essence, Silencers, Killing Joke, Chameleons, etc....
- 10. Pictures Of You by The Cure
- 9. In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins
Best music from Miami Vice.
- 8. You Belong To The City by Glenn Frey
Best music from Miami Vice.
- 7. Faster Than Light by Duran Duran
- 6. Careless Whisper by George Michael
- 5. True by Spandau Ballet
- 4. Heart From The Start by Classix Nouveaux
- 3. All Of My Heart by ABC
- 2. Human by Human League
It`s so romantic!
- 1. New Moon On Monday by Duran Duran
I love Duran Duran!!! Good video also!
- 10. Running With The Night by Lionel Richie
- 9. The Living Daylights by A-Ha
cool song ;)
- 8. Always On My Mind by Pet Shop Boys
- 7. Call Me by Go West
- 6. Your Love by The Outfields
- 5. Summer of 69' by Bryan Adams
- 4. You by Ten Sharp
i like this one ;)
- 3. (I Just Died) In Your Arms by Cutting Crew
- 2. The way it is by Bruce Hornsby
really like this song =P
- 1. Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye
oh my god
*very good list*
By: Jessica Teal
- 10. It's My Life by Talk Talk
I love Brian Ferry's voice. Avalon and More Than This were also incredible songs.
- 9. The Road to Nowhere by Talking Heads
I haven't seen any Talking Heads yet on here. They must be included.
- 8. Eyes Without a Face by Billy Idol
Billy Idol was the coolest guy in the 80's. My mom really liked him and we had a huge poster of him in the bathroom. (somebody put a fake booger in his flared nostrils).
- 7. All The People Tell Me So by Monroes
I hope I got that title right. This song reminds me of crushes in middle school.
- 6. Black Lodge by Anthrax
This is a creepy but amazing Anthrax song.I don't know alot of people that remember this song. I think (hope) it's from the 80's.
- 5. Wasted Years by Iron Maiden
Iron Maiden is the rock of the 80's to me. They had real motif thing going on in their videos too.
- 4. Little Red Corvette by Prince
The best Prince song - unforgettable lyrics - "I guess I should've known by the way you parked your car sideways that it wouldn't last".
- 3. The Sun Always Shines On T.V. by A-Ha
Such a good, rarely played/heard A-Ha song. The Hunting High and Low Abum was nearly perfect.
- 2. Emotion in Motion by Ric O'Casek
Ric O'Casek was the lead singer of the Cars. His solo stuff is pretty awesome.
- 1. Cum On Feel The Noise by Quiet Riot
Just straight simple great 80's style rock!
What is it about 80's music? I was just a little kid but the popular and unpopular music of those days just stays in my head. My sisters also keep burning CD's with songs we remember and want to hear again.
By: Ben Price
- 10. True by Spandau Ballet
I know this for a "True" fact...This is one of the Ultimate 80's songs. This song makes you dance and sing along. I love the choruses this song has. A very sweet and beautiful tune.
- 9. Holding Back The Years by Simply Red
This is a very beautiful song, that will put you in a trance, and make you nod your head, and sing along. The vision of seeing Simply Red on the train in the video singing this song will always remain in my head.
- 8. Red Red Wine by UB40
This song is another timeless classic. You could imagine my surprise when i found out that UB40 were British and not Jamaican. Red Red Wine will most definitely make you dance with a great reggae vibe.
- 7. The Message by GrandMaster Flash & The Furious Five
The Message always makes me wanna dance and rap to it. This song is excellent. This Has To Be My favorite rap song of the 80's It was the first rap song with a message, if it wasn't for this song. Rap would not be were it's at now in the mainstream. One of the best rap songs in the 80's hands down!
- 6. Let's Go Crazy by Prince & The Revolution
I loved his "Purpleness" back in the day. Everytime i listened to "Let's Go Crazy" i would pick up a broom, pretend i was Prince and just...GO CRAZY!!!
- 5. The Rain by Oran Juice Jones
One of the ultimate funniest breakup songs of the 80's. A guy gives his girl everything he can afford, and one night he sees her and another man "walking in the rain and holding hands" poor guy. He gets her back with a classic tongue lashing at the end though.
- 4. In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins
In The Air Tonight reminds me so much of the show Miami Vice that everytime i hear it i think of Crockett & Tubbs trying to bring down some cuban drug lord. I love In The Air Tonight. A very timeless song.
- 3. Tender Love by Force MD's
I love this song. It's a very romatic type song. It reminds me of getting up early on those chilly days during 1985-86 for grammer school. This is a classic love song.
- 2. Billy Jean by Michael Jackson
Everytime i hear this song it makes me wanna dance and brings back childhood memories of being a M.J. fan. Billy Jean & M.J. during the mid 80's went together like Pac Man & Arcades.
- 1. My Prerogative by Bobby Brown
Everytime i hear this song it makes me wanna dance and brings back fond memories of me trying to copy Bobby's dance steps in my kitchen. Bobby ruled in the late 80's!
By: Mike McLain
- 10. I ran by Flock of Seagulls
Great song for the greatest 80's video nastalgia game ever.....Grand Theft Auto Vice City.
- 9. Beat It by Michael Jackson
Great song from the greatest album of the 80's.
- 8. You spin me right round by Dead or Alive
Thank you Adam Sandler for singing this in the wedding singer.
- 7. Theme from Indiana Jones by John Williams
Quite possibly the best theme for a hero ever made.
- 6. Imperial March by John Williams
Darth Vader's theme from the Empire Strikes Back. Quite possibly the best composition for a villian ever.
- 5. Just the good 'ol boys.... by Waylon Jennings
DUKES OF HAZZARD!!!
- 4. Come on Eileen! by Dexy's Midnight Runners
- 3. How to be a Millionaire by ABC
The official 'yuppie' song......
- 2. Poison Arrow by ABC
This song redefined a generation of heartbreak, despair, and international intrigue.
- 1. Take On Me by Aha
A great video
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.