In the 80s - Top Ten Lists of Eighties Songs
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 80s?
This page currently edited by: Quirk. Past editor: RetroGuyDK, Absolutely Vile, Junior
- 10. Dancing with Myself by Billy Idol
My sis had to tell me what he was really saying, and I said yep, that Billy all right.
- 9. Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield
Had the opp. to meet this guy, and he played it for us. Still sound good especially hearing him sing it live to us girls. He should have been #1.
- 8. Glamorous Life by Sheila E.
Honestly don't we all feel like that sometimes? I knew I did when I heard it.
- 7. Waiting For The Star To Fall by Boy Meets Girl
A catchy song to sing along with. A good, feel good song.
- 6. Warrior by Scandel (feat. Patty Smyth)
The war pant, the heavy blush, eyeliner, big hair. Still a good song to dance to.
- 5. Invincible by Pat Benatar
"The Legend of Billie Jean" Need I say more. An 80s song to go with an 80s movie. Feeling invincible right now too.
- 4. How Will I Know by Whitney Houston
To me, It was the song for answers, and then some. Seriously how will you know?
- 3. Pour Some Sugar on Me by Def Leppard
When I first this song I went staight out and bought the album. Still have the record a bit scratched-Thank god for Cds.
- 2. All Night Long by Lionel Ritche
Very GOOD song.
- 1. Big Country by Big Country
It was an 80s song, and album with a twist. Bag pipes,chimes, ect you know.You just had to get up and dance.
Everything about the 80s was GREAT.Lets not forget "Walk this Way"...That song helped rap. I have to say that I was young at the time when the best of the best was first.So the selections I made may be rusty, although these selections were some of the few that I love (still)and really made a serious impact on me. The music of the 80s had a meaning, there was always something to be said. Todays music have come from yesterday's, well that is what I think.
- 10. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
Probably the number 1 most memorable video of the 80's and a darn good song that takes you back when you hear it.
- 9. Hot For Teacher by Van Halen
Beautiful chicks,awesome eddie Van Halen licks,pretty much what the 80's was all about
- 8. She's A Runner by Billy Squier
Great live version catches Billy on his Emotions in motion tour 1982
- 7. Mexican Radio by Wall Of Voodoo
Remember the guys face comin out of the pot of beans! "radio...radio"
- 6. Heavens On Fire by KISS
Kiss'best 80's tune(besides maybe creatures of the night)
- 5. Ratt by Round and Round
Who could forget this metal gem featuring Uncle Miltie in the video
- 4. Rio by Duran Duran
What all new wave bands of the 80's wanted to be like.
- 3. In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins
The 1st Video i saw on MTV
- 2. 867-5309 Jenny by Tommmy Tutone
The girlies went wild when my band would play this back in high School
- 1. Jessies Girl by Rick Springfield
The coolest tune from the coolest artist of the 80's
What i'd give to have a time machine
By: Jess The Rock Godess
- 10. Karma Chamelion by Culture Club
The sog I alway wish they had when I do kareoke.
- 9. Love is A Battlefield by Pat Benetar
Come on you know you wish you could do that dance!!!
- 8. Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran
Awesome song, very catchy, unique lyrics, great in the car.
- 7. I Melt With You by Modern English
Such a sweet song! Reminds me of the movie "Valley Girl"
- 6. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
Today a song like this would only be sang by girls who look lie a cross beteen a model and abarbie, but the, you had this girl who is not like anyone you're gonna see walking down the street, and you'd think she'd sing some crazy song togo with her style, but isted she sings a beautiful song to go with her beautiful voice.
- 5. Welcome To The Jungle by Guns 'N' Roses
This song just plain rocks, "You know where you are, you're in the jungle baby, you're gonna DIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!"
- 4. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leopard
I don't know the lyrics but I like i anyway, a must for anything that involves danceing around.
- 3. Like a Prayer by Madonna
Madonna has to be on an 80s list, you'd almost miss this becuse it was 1989, but if it weren't for this song, what would I sing kareoke to?
- 2. White Wedding by Billy Idol
There's only one person in the world tat I know who dosen't like this song and that's my 54 year old father, enough said.
- 1. Tainted Love by Soft Cell
Come on if t weren't for this song our planet wouldn't have been saved in the movie "coneheads" can ou say that about any other song
Yeah I left out the police and David Bowie and a bunch of 80s icons.
By: Doug Nilsen
- 10. Runaway by Bon Jovi
The beginning of Bon Jovi...it's excellent.
- 9. Take Me Home Tonight by Eddie Money
The Money Man is the coolest.
- 8. Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
It just rocks.
- 7. Photograph by Def Leppard
Killer song from the kings of 80's pop metal
- 6. One by Metallica
Killer song from the kings of 80's heavy metal
- 5. Jump by Van Halen
The Pinnacle of the David Lee Roth-Van Halen era...timeless.
- 4. Tom Sawyer by Rush
Extraordinary musicianship that has me in awe to this day.
- 3. Animal by Def Leppard
I get pumped up everytime I hear it.
- 2. Poison by Alice Cooper
Incredible song, showed an early 70's genius still had it.
- 1. Eyes Of A Stranger by Queensryche
Best song of the 80's concluding the best album of the 80's...so much emotion.
- 10. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N Roses
With Slashs guitar playing and Axl's unique voice wailing away, this song deserves to be in everyones top ten
- 9. Born in the USA by Bruce Springsteen
hey its the Boss, need i say more? You people should be ashamed if hes not on your top ten
- 8. Burnin Down The House by Talking Heads
This music more than new wave. The singer has that unique ability to make you actually enjoy the new wave, if ya know what i mean.
- 7. Welcome To The Jungle by Guns N Roses
Because we got fun and games man. Ya dig?
- 6. Still Haven't Found What I'm Lookin For by U2
This song was released during the hair band era and the new wave s**t. This was your meditation.
- 5. Every Breath You Take by The Police
Released in The Polices last album, probably there best song ever.
- 4. Paradise City by Guns N Roses
The lyrics make this song.
- 3. Where The Streets Have No Name by U2
the first song i heard by u2, ever since ive been hooked.
- 2. Johnny 99 by Bruce Springsteen
One of the many great songs off the Nebraska Album, this song and album helped influence President Reagan at the time for many of his "Reganomics" decisions.
- 1. With Or Without You by U2
The Edge and Bono are probably one of the best on stage duos since Plant and Paige. The guitar playing is unique to say the least and Bono moves to the song in ways unexplainable
Hey whats the deal with the all new wave top tens?
- 10. Star Trekkin' by The FIRM
Okay, okay! Since the 80's were synonomous with novelty songs, this is the best! Funny song, great impressions, particularly Scotty! And an absolutely hilarious video! Great fun!
- 9. The Way It Is by Bruce Hornsby And The Range
This song always reminds me of when I was young. And it was the background music on Grandstand on the BBC in the 80's!
- 8. Living On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
Much of the same above, but I love Richie Sambora's solo and the voicebox track is excellent!
- 7. Here I Go Again '87 by Whitesnake
Good old fashioned stadium rock! Great video, great hair and a fantastic song! One of my favorites!
- 6. It's Over by Level 42
The quintessential love ballad of the 80's. Cheesy synths but a beautiful song. Boon Gould's lyrics are wonderfully moving.
- 5. The Power Of Love by Huey Lewis And The News
I love the Back To The Future movies! Also the band is one of the best live acts around!
- 4. The Girl Can't Help It by Journey
This song always reminds me of summer and how I should be listening to it, ie driving an open-top Mustang in California!
- 3. Wouldn't It Be Good by Nik Kershaw
I love the chord progression in this one! Also Nik's hair was seriously cool!
- 2. Love Games by Level 42
I am a bass guitarist and I think that this song is a work of art! Plus it has some very cheesy analog synths in it!
- 1. Take On Me by A-ha
Simply the best song to come out of the 80's! Listening to it always makes me feel better when I'm down.
I wish I had Marty McFly's DeLorean so I could re-live the greatest decade ever!
By: Mike Homan
- 10. Life In A Northern Town by Dream Academy
Great song with a great video!!!!
- 9. Take Me To Heart by Quarterflash
Another little know song that is one of my favorites!!!
- 8. Ain't No Stopping Us( Theme from Break'in) by Ollie and Jerry
A little know 80's song that is one of my favorites.
- 7. Heat of the Moment by Asia
- 6. Romancing The Stone by Eddie Grant
This song did'nt get as much publicity as Electric Avenue, but in my opinion it was better!!!!
- 5. Oh Sherri by Steve Perry
Classic hit for lead singer from Journey a timless classic
- 4. Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds
- 3. Seperate Ways by Journey
One of my favorite 80's bands, how can you not have a Journey song in your 80's top ten!!!
- 2. Shoot That Poison Arrow by ABC
My friends hate this song, but what do they know!! ABC rocks
- 1. I Ran by Flock of Seagulls
Awesome song!!! Loved the video!!
Awesome website!!! It was so hard to pick 10 of my favorite 80's songs. Keep up the good work!!!
- 10. Misled by Kool & the Gang
Liked this one because it reminded me of my high school girlfriend. Misled me for a long time. Plus, their performance of this in concert was excellent.
- 9. Lay It Down by Ratt
Loved all their stuff. Had a hard time picking one song of theirs. Had to choose from Round & Round and this one finally.
- 8. Lovin' Every Minute Of It by Loverboy
Another one that no too many will probably agree with, but I loved it.
- 7. Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
Back when he was normal looking...awesome dance song. I remember loving the Pepsi commercials he did. Now he is just....no words to describe how much he has lost it.
- 6. Jungle Love by The Time
I know not too many will agree with this one, but hey, I loved it.
- 5. In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins
Who can forget Crockett and Tubbs crusing in the Ferrari while this song is playing?
- 4. Hard Habit To Break by Chicago
The kings of love songs. Followed closely by Air Supply.
- 3. Cherish by Kool & the Gang
One of the best love songs of the 80s. Played in a lot of weddings and still a popluar song on any soft rock radio station.
- 2. Let's Go Crazy by Prince & the Revolution
One of the best party and dance songs of the 80s.
- 1. Celebration by Kool & the Gang
Talk about a song that stands the test of time. I remember this playing when the hostages came home from Iran. Still played today at sporting events.
I know there are a lot of songs on here that a lot of people won't agree with, but it is hard to pick just 10 songs from the 80s. Most of the songs I picked are because they bring back a memory that is emotional or personal. How many of you out there are like me, in that you can hear a song on the radio, and remember exactly where you were when you heard it sometime in high school or college and associate it with some event? That is what these songs are about to me.
By: Emm :P
there r more!! it's so hard to do ya faves!! But those r the ones off the toppa me head! And yes girls can like this type a music 2!!! :P
- 10. When Doves Cry by Prince
When I round out my ten fav's with this you know the 80's had a slew of music..
- 9. Holiday by Madonna
The grand entrance to an amazing career...it's still unforgettable, funky and fluffy...
- 8. Take On Me by A-HA
They lived and died in the 80's but oh what a life! Take On Me will continue to excite the ears...timeless
- 7. Sweet Dreams by Eurthymics
Annie Lennox and her drag king person coupled with heavy hitting pulses and attitude...
- 6. A Little Respect by Erasure
Ok, this is simply the best pop confection out of Britain. Shakey vocals and yet another classic 80's chorus really work here
- 5. Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison
Big Hair Goes COuntry? It did in the 80's. Great lyrics and drive move this song out of hairspray hell and into post 80's life
- 4. We Got The Beat by The Go-Go's
I dare anyone to not fall in with the killer riffs and energy of this classic.
- 3. The Reflex by Duran Duran
The ultimate 80's group with their best song ever.
- 2. Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley
Where went all the anthems? Once the 80's ended so did all the energy...Astleys soulful voice driving a Britpop classic...a perfect combo.
- 1. Heaven Is A Place On Earth by Belinda Carlisle
The definitive 80's anthem. It summed up a lot of the energy of the decade. With a rousing chorus and Carlisle's throaty vibrato this song is unbeatable!!!!
Jody Watley: Lookin' For A New Love, Martika: TOy Soldiers, Samantha Fox: Naughty Girls, Blondie: Heart Of Glass, T'Pau: Heart and Soul, Breathe: Hands To Heaven, Bryan Adams: Heaven, Tina Turner: What's Love Got To Do With It, Belinda Carlisle: Cirlce In The Sand, Cher: If I Could Turn Back Time, Thmas Dolby: She Blinded Me With Science...
By: Daire Leonard
- 10. I Wanna Know What Love Is by Foreigner
best love song ever
- 9. Thats Entertainment by The Jam
- 8. My Way by Frank Sinatra
- 7. In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins
excellent song brilliant breakdown at the end
- 6. Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode
80's i think
- 5. Fade To Gray by Visage
great song a true 80's tune
- 4. I Ran by A Flock Of Seagulls
given recent popularity due to grand theft auto vice city
- 3. Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears
- 2. Whole Of The Moon by Waterboys
- 1. Fishermans Blues by Waterboys
i think theres a lot of variety in my choices but thats what made the eighties so good was the diversity
- 10. Should I Stay Or Should I Go? by Clash
Pretty much anything the Clash did from 79-86 - basically one of the best eras in the history or rock music
- 9. Rock This Town by Stray Cats
- 8. Middle Of The Road by Pretenders
- 7. Glory Days by Bruce Springsteen
Now that I have hit 35 I understand...
- 6. Worlds Away by Strange Advance
- 5. Telegraph Road by Dire Straits
Knopfler at his best....
- 4. Hells Bells/You Shook Me by ACDC
A Classic Desert Island Disk
- 3. In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
The Passion of Gabriel
- 2. New Year's Day by U2
Before the boys had everything they could ever want.....
- 1. Save It For Later by English Beat
Its the Sultans of Swing of the 80s
- 10. Michael Jackson by Billy Jean
Multiple Grammy Winner
- 9. Level 42 by Lessons in Love
I like it too
- 8. Al Corley by Square Rooms
Just because I like it
- 7. Madonna by Like a Virgin
Obligated 80's Top Ten choice
- 6. Hold Me Now by Thompson Twins
- 5. Sowing The Seeds Of Love by Tears for Fears
- 4. Careless Whisper by Wham
George Michael romantic vocal performance
- 3. Love In The First Degree by Bananarama
the three British girls that broke records on the charts
- 2. Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley
Whether you like it or not this was a big hit
- 1. Take My Breath Away by Berlin
Classic love theme of the 80s from Top Gun O.S.T.
Although there are lots of fantastic songs I've left behind, these songs are truly 80's classics!!!
- 10. Head Like A Hole by Nine Inch Nails
Yes, it *was* only 1989, even though "Pretty Hate Machine" sounds like it could have been made several years later. One of the best first albums in all of popular music.
- 9. Stigmata by Ministry
Concentrated angst directly squarely at your ears. The year was 1988 and this song perfectly set the stage for one of the best artists of the '90's, Nine Inch Nails.
- 8. Seconds by Human League
All of 1981's "Dare!" is excellent, with the notable exception of the mega-hit "Don't You Want Me."
- 7. Everything Counts by Depeche Mode
The hit before the hit that broke them into the mainstream. Probably would have been higher if DM hadn't become so damn popular and I got sick of hearing them by 1990.
- 6. Swamp Thing by The Chameleons (UK)
The entire 1986 album "Strange Times" is outstanding. Actually, all of this band's albums are.
- 5. How Soon Is Now? by The Smiths
Probably should be tied with "Bigmouth Strikes Again."
- 4. In Between Days by The Cure
Causing thousands of teens to sigh. Saw The Cure in concert in 2000 and they are still incredible.
- 3. Alice by The Sisters of Mercy
Before it was called Goth, this band was simply exploring new musical territory. Their minimal beatbox drums, Andrew Eldritch's booming baritone, and droning guitars combined to create magic. (Magick?)
- 2. Down In The Park by Gary Numan
Imitated but never equalled. Numan painted a vivid and bizarre image of a cold future that still seems eerily plausible twenty-three years later. Sad that this genius is considered a one hit wonder in the US.
- 1. Smothered Hope by Skinny Puppy
The track that opened up Cyberpunk, later known as "Industrial," and paving the way for Nine Inch Nails five years later, as well as a host of imitators. So simple and minimal and yet incredibly powerful.
I forced myself to only list each artist once. Also, I probably forgot a whole bunch of stuff. But this is a representative list for me. (Please do not post my e-mail address on the page. Thanks and great site!)
- 10. With Or Without You by U2
- 9. Bicycle by Queen
- 8. You Shook Me All Night Long by ACDC
- 7. Red Red Wine by UB40
- 6. Our House by Madness
- 5. So What by Metallica
- 4. Turning Japanese by The Vapors
- 3. Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood
- 2. Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
- 1. Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol
- 10. It's No Good by Depeche Mode
- 9. Stripped by Depeche Mode
Class beats and great vocals.
- 8. Everything Counts by Depeche Mode
One of my favourites, well all 10 are my favourite.
- 7. People are People by Depeche Mode
Another song with great lyrics. This tune puts things in life into perspective.
- 6. The Things You Said by Depeche Mode
Wicked. The synth sounds really does this song justice.
- 5. New Life by Depeche Mode
Excellent song. Another song with great lyrics.
- 4. See You by Depeche Mode
Not many people have heard of this one, but i urge you find it and listen to it you will be glad you did. For those UK fans who know this song then you might of realised that the tune that appears half way through the song used to be the the beginning theme tune for the TV programme Big Breakfast.
- 3. Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode
Just makes me wanna get up and dance like a nutter.
- 2. Somebody by Depeche Mode
Excellent lyrics, the greatest lyrics ever heard. This song is really deep.
- 1. Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode
This is the don of all Depeche Mode songs, just cannot be beaten.
Arguably, one of the best band's in 80's history. Long live Depeche Mode.
- 10. Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran
Good song. Good video. Good looking guys. Good stuff.
- 9. Bille Jean by Michael Jackson
He may be a freak now, but to a 6 year old in 1984 he's was the greatest thing that walked. Good song.
- 8. Whip It by Devo
I tried singing this classic in karaoke once. Come to find out I knew none of the words.
- 7. I Would Die 4 U by Prince
Prince...no explanation needed.
- 6. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
Sniffle. That video, with the dog, so classic.
- 5. Touch of Grey by Grateful Dead
My favorite band of all time. They had much better songs, but this was their one and only video and one and only hit. R.I.P. Jerry.
- 4. Boys of Summer by Don Henley
Most overplayed song on the radio...ever! I still hear it 10 times a week, but the "deadhead sticker on a cadillac" reels me into singing it. Speaking of....
- 3. Take On Me by A-Ha
Everyone likes this video...admit it.
- 2. Love Is A Battlefield by Pat Benetar
I grew up watching MTV. I am a video poster child. Everytime I hear this song I catch myself doing her goofy dance.
- 1. Don't You Want Me by Human League
I would watch, captivated, while this video was on MTV. Granted I was only 5, but this is my favorite song of all time.
I could go on and on, but can't and wouldn't. I had to leave off people like Madonna and Bruce Springsteen, but trust me they are in my top twenty.
By: E L Sims
- 10. I'm Not The Man I Used To Be by Fine Young Cannibals
I liked this song, it is very smooth and relaxing. When I saw the video I liked it even better; you would never imagine people freestyle dancing to a song like this until you actually see it.
- 9. Whip It by Devo
Isn't this an 80's favorite for everyone?!
- 8. Sign Of The Times by Prince
Another one of my Prince favs. I like the funky background beats in this one.
- 7. Do You Really Want To Hurt Me by Culture Club
Favorite Culture Club song. I still remember seeing them perform this on Solid Gold.
- 6. Thriller by Michael Jackson
This is my favorite Michael Jackson song from the 80's. This song was so popular at Halloween that when I was in 6th grade we had a fall festival and they were charging $1 for people to go in the room and watch this video.
- 5. Controversy by Prince
This is one of my favorites from Prince's older days. I remember first hearing this song on Night flight.
- 4. She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby
Gotta love this song, especially the extra long remix. I liked the way the woman in the video had her back painted like a string instrument.
- 3. King Of Pain by The Police
My favorite song by the Police.
- 2. Reflex by Duran Duran
My favorite Duran Duran tune.
- 1. Rock the Casbah by The Clash
My all time favorite 80's dance song. Still played at clubs now, I have heard it in NC, San Diego and Miami in the past year.
Previous List or Next List
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 70s and 90s
Do You Have a List to Share?
Please check out the Top Ten Music Songs submission page.