Toys of the Eighties, BLOCKS!
Picture Gallery

Loading images, if this message doesn't go away you may need to enable javascript in order to see pictures
No images

Click picture to enlarge

 Submit a picture 

The eighties should be known as the Decade of Blocks (or what are today known as 'Construction Sets' ... whatever). Legos, Duplos, Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, Bristle Blocks, Magnetic Blocks, K'Nex, Popoids, Erector Sets, soft blocks (for babies), Busy Blocks (also for babies - each block contained a different activity), gigantic cardboard building blocks that looked like bricks (you had to assemble each block yourself!!!), cheap hollow plastic building blocks available in dollar/drug stores, nesting blocks, puzzle blocks (make six different pictures by using the six sides of the block set), Travel blocks (you could play different road games & activities using various sides of the blocks), Fisher Price toddler block sets (each block had a hole in it, and you could connect with long plastic rods), WAFFLE BLOCKS (L'il Tikes), Mind Bender blocks with little puzzles inside ... can you think of anything else???
Links for more info

The following are links about BLOCKS! you may find interesting. Also check out the other pages.

  • Architoys - (report)
    This site has just about every block you can ever think of.

Submit a link to more information about BLOCKS!

User Stories and Comments

The following are comments left about BLOCKS! from site visitors such as yourself. They are not spell checked or reviewed for accuracy.

Carmen Bothma - July 14, 2008 - Report this comment
Does anyone knows, where to get edublocks that we've played with in the years 80's 90's. Please email me :
Jen - August 20, 2008 - Report this comment
I am looking for some blocks from the 80's that were about 3 inches square with two connectors on the top like legos. They were not legos or duolos. They came in a red or dark orange cardboard box originally, they were plastic but soft, almost like they had some kind of felt on the outside and came in yellow, orange, green and blue, possibly came in pink to in the set, I don't really remember. If anyone knows the name of these or where to get them I would greatly appreciate any information. Thanks!
Justin - December 20, 2008 - Report this comment
Yeah, Jen, I'm looking for info on the same blocks! They were about 3"x3" from the side and about 1" deep I'd say. And the edges were rounded so you could connect them together in a wall and the wall would bend into a tube. Let me know if you figure anything out.
Sara - June 12, 2009 - Report this comment
Justin, it sounds like you are referring to Better Blocks. Retro junk's website has a couple of the old Better Blocks commercials, if you need a visual.
Justin - June 17, 2009 - Report this comment
Sara, no I had forgotten about Better Blocks, but that's not what Jen and I are thinking of. The Better Blocks are the same size as Legos, but the ones we're thinking of are a bit bigger than Legos and all of them have only two pegs as Jen describes. Thanks though.
Dylan - August 25, 2009 - Report this comment
Does anyone remember the blocks that had the locking mechanism, they were about the size of legos, but had the white plastic locking thing on the inside and came with a green plastic screwdriver (flat head) to turn the mechanism on the blocks and lock them together. I was thinking lock blocks, but I can't find anything on them.
Kevin - September 21, 2009 - Report this comment
Dylan, I have your same problem. I have googled everything, im glad there is someone else in this world that remembers these, but...still I don't remember what they are called!!!!
KS - November 04, 2009 - Report this comment
I am trying to find the name of this block-like building toy. They were transparent colored plastic shapes - flat, with one slot on each side. They connected by inserting one slot into another slot. Similar to the modern Dado Squares, except smaller, clear, and more shapes. Anyone know what these were called?
Tina G - November 23, 2009 - Report this comment
Hi KS, I am also trying to find those transparent colored plastic flat building things with the slots on each side. Its driving me crazy!
Tina G - November 23, 2009 - Report this comment
I just found the clear colored plastic squares with slots. They are called PLAYPLAX!!
Rob - December 05, 2009 - Report this comment
Dylan and Kevin you sound like you are looking for the same thing I am. I remember getting these when I was in the hospital when i was 6, so about 1986-87. But I cant find them for the life of me anywhere online. It would help if I could remember the name.
alex - December 25, 2009 - Report this comment
iam 27, when i was little my parents brought me these blocks called wonder blocks. We still have a couple of them around. I now have a 18 month old son who loves to play with them now. I want to know does anybody know were i can get them?
lefty - December 28, 2009 - Report this comment
Dylan, Kevin, and Rob, those are Parker brothers "The Construction Company" camlock bricks, with a green plastic screwdriver.
Owen - January 21, 2010 - Report this comment
I remember a set of blocks just called Lock Blocks (or Lockblocks). They were like Legos, but I think they were bigger. Anyone remember these?
Beth - January 27, 2010 - Report this comment
Hi I am looking for plastic blocks that connect and have dinosaurs and people parts that also connect to the colorful shapes. please e-mail me at Thank you I tried to add a pic to this and could not.
Elaine - January 30, 2010 - Report this comment
Hi, i'm trying to find a block puzzle that my sister and i used to love playing with as children (we are 33 and 34 now. The blocks were solid wood and had different pictures on each sidem so you could make 6 complete pictures. I can only remember two of the pictures, one was of dragons and the other was a traditional picture of Santa i think. I think the blocks came in a case but they might have been in a cart/trolly. Anyone know what i'm talking about??
SZA - January 31, 2010 - Report this comment
Yes, Elaine, I think these were just called Puzzle Blocks. They still sell them, but you usually have to look in the higher-end toy stores or catalogs like Lillian Vernon.
SZA - January 31, 2010 - Report this comment
The children's section of my childhood library had this very cool set of wooden blocks that came in a wooden tray. Each block had a red, yellow or blue circle pained on two sides, and each block made a different sound when shaken. (I.e. one block was filled with something that sounded like rice, one with seeds, one with a single wooden ball.) This toy was pretty beat-up, dirty and scrawled-upon with crayon due to all the different kids playing with it, but it was a favorite of my sister and me! I have no idea where it comes from. I am guessing Creative Playthings - it had that early 70s/institutional look. Any guesses?
Elaine - January 31, 2010 - Report this comment
I've been researching these Puzzle Blocks on the web and have found lots of images that remind me of my set. Can anyone advice me of how to go about finding this particular one, with green dragons or serpents all twisted together and with an old magical picture of santa, pretty sure the blocks came in a case, possibly red leather.
Juicy 1981 - August 16, 2010 - Report this comment
The lockable brick toy is definately "the construction Company" by parker brothers, ive found my set in parents loft along with 3 of the original books for it. Very hard to come by now though, theres barely anything about it online.
Tim - September 25, 2010 - Report this comment
WOW Those blocks with the screw driver I been thinking about thosefor years. its one of those things that people look at you crazy whenyou as them about it. Just like that 80s show with the girl that was a robot what was the name of that one. Glad to have sights like this.
Annita - September 28, 2010 - Report this comment
The name of the robot girl was Vicky. My daughter imitated her walk and voice for the longest time. "My. name. is. Vi-cky. I. am. a ro-bot."
Annita - September 28, 2010 - Report this comment
PS The name of the show was Small Wonder.
Jackie - February 04, 2011 - Report this comment
I am looking for some blocks from the 80's that were about 3 inches square with two connectors on the top like legos. They were not legos or duolos. They came in a red or dark orange cardboard box originally, they were plastic but soft, almost like they had some kind of felt on the outside and came in yellow, orange, green and blue, possibly came in pink to in the set, I don't really remember. If anyone knows the name of these or where to get them I would greatly appreciate any information. Thanks!
Jamie - March 17, 2011 - Report this comment
In the 80s, I used to have many "kNex, connex, conex"? I cannot remember the spelling. White connecting blocks, 3 different sizes, little blue blocks that connected them together.. Some glow in the dark pieces.. etc? jamie (spam account: )
Jamie - March 17, 2011 - Report this comment
Ok, you mention K'Nex at the top of this page. But mine looked nothing like these. Unless... my mom tricked me with fake K'Nex? :/
Jamie - March 17, 2011 - Report this comment
Nm, I found them: CONSTRUX :D
elaine - July 27, 2011 - Report this comment
My sons had some building blocks that were colorful and looked like the letter H. I'm looking for some because I have 2 grandsons and I'm sure they would enjoy them. Any information would be appreciated.
Dave - August 19, 2011 - Report this comment
My grandparents had some Lego/Construx type toys I have never been able to get the name of. Pieces where blue, connectors were white with cross shape on connectors. I asked my entire family, no one ever saw a box or brand. Any assistance is appreciated, I would love to get some for my kids. Please email any info to Thank you!
Scott Darnell - September 26, 2011 - Report this comment
I see that Better Blocks will be available again on
Heather Kinsey - October 31, 2011 - Report this comment
I had the soft blocks with the two pegs. Mine had a prince, princess and 2 dragons. It was suppose to make a tower.
Jessica - November 11, 2011 - Report this comment
Jackie, I have been trying to find the name of those too!!! I LOVED THEM! I hope we find the name someday.
Sean - December 10, 2011 - Report this comment
lefty. Thank you. I was trying to figure out what those were called and my parents thought I was crazy and said I never had a toy like that and must be thinking of my 'tool set' as a kid.
Jade - January 03, 2012 - Report this comment
Alex and Jackie, I have a about a half a set of wonder blocks that my brother and I used to play with as kids and my 2 year old LOVES them (his favorite is to build a 'power tower'). I've been trying to find some for sale but can't even pull up an image on Google. I'm pretty sure Mattell made them? If you guys track any down please post about it!
Cathie - January 11, 2012 - Report this comment
I am looking for a set of blocks my daughter had in 1985-86. They were similar to Duplos, but the set only had blocks with two pegs on top, they were pastel in color, with rounded instead of squared edges, and the plastic was softer but thicker than the Lego or Duplo type (more approp. for younger kids) and was textured. Please email any info to Thank you!
Cathie - January 11, 2012 - Report this comment
Clarifying my comment above - these were not the size of Legos. They were larger, more the size of the larger Mega Bloks they make now for the younger kids.
marcy - January 20, 2012 - Report this comment
i have been looking for magnetic blocks, they are plasic come in different shapes and are brightly colored with stickers on them. one set could be made into a race car, any body know what they are called?
Jenn - January 30, 2012 - Report this comment
I am looking for a set of blocks that I had as a kid. They were for preschoolers so they were way bigger than legos. They came in pastel colors like blue, pink, and orange. They had either two or three connectors on top in one single line. They had rounded edges and were made of a softer plastic material than legos. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Dawn - February 01, 2012 - Report this comment
Not sure if what you are looking for is Jolly Polly blocks? They were pastel in color and bigger than legos. I hope this helps. Try for hard to find vintage toys.
Kelli - February 01, 2012 - Report this comment
They sound like the Duplo Blocks my kids have in their closet. I got them 10 years ago at a yard sale for $1 and they still play with them! They sell them all over the place. Look for them online. Good luck!
anoniemouse - March 30, 2012 - Report this comment
I remember a set of flat shapes that snapped together on hinges, there were squares and triangles and they came in a blue bag. I can't remember the name for the life of me.
jason - April 08, 2012 - Report this comment
I had LockBlocks. I had a Space shuttle set and they also had peices that would glow in the dark. I have been looking on ebay for them but have not been able to find them.
Brian - May 19, 2012 - Report this comment
Has anyone ever heard of these building blocks that were red boxes (maybe 8x8") with yellow connectors and wheels? You could make ride ons. They had to be early 80's Thanks!
Kimi ok - May 22, 2012 - Report this comment
Anoniemouse.... I'm trying to find the same toys! I thought they were called jacks... But that doesn't seem to be the case... Anyone have any ideas??
Holly J - May 22, 2012 - Report this comment
@ kimi ok and anoniemouse ... I think you're talking about Zaks
Darcy - May 30, 2012 - Report this comment
Anyone know the circle blocks that had lines all around them so they would connect to the other ones?
Darsh - June 05, 2012 - Report this comment
Dave: I've been looking for those as well. The are shaped like the alphabet "H". They come in green or yellow i think. Came in a box with cool instructions and examples. You could do different things with each set. The picture in this category!! those were parts of the set I'm talking about.The red wheel like things that lock onto the other parts.Can't remember the name for the life of me. Anyone have a suggestion?
Erin - June 12, 2012 - Report this comment
Hey guys! For all of you looking for the "soft" blocks with 2 pegs that we all loved so much in the 80's, they're called Tuff Stuff Wonder Blocks by Mattel. I'm desperately trying to find some to buy but can't seem to find them anywhere. Not even on ebay! :(
Tom - July 04, 2012 - Report this comment
Brian: I am looking for those too--I remember them well. They were two red boxes with holes in them (made of a more brittle ABS or something), and some slightly softer plastic yellow connecting beams, and blue wheels and nuts and bolts. The neat thing about them was, as you said, it wasn not just a building toy--it was big enough to build something you could then ride on.
Stefanie - July 16, 2012 - Report this comment
I have a small set of blocks that I bought at a garage sale and I can't figure out the name of them so I can get more. They were around in the 80's when I was a kid and they are primary colors and they look like they having little spikes all over them and you can connect them very easily. My 18 month old loves them and they are super easy for him to play with.
SZA - July 17, 2012 - Report this comment
Stefanie, are you talking about BRISTLE BLOCKS??
Stefanie - July 18, 2012 - Report this comment
That's it! Thanks SZA! I've got a set and my boys can't get enough of them. I wanted to order more.
John - August 07, 2012 - Report this comment
I have 2 plastic block sets I'm trying to identify and find out who made them. They're both space themed. The first is a sphere in a darker blue color that opens to reveal the inside of the 2 halves; the other has 2 spheres in a lime green color that also opens, the 2 spheres are connected together. The blocks are very similar to Lego and work (more or less0 with the Lego brand. I think they were made in the 80s.Does anyone have an idea who might have made them? Thanks for the help.
Crystal - August 08, 2012 - Report this comment
I've been trying to find the name for the Construction Company blocks for years! Thanks! My friends had them, and I always wanted them.
James - August 18, 2012 - Report this comment
Anyone know what kind of plastic was used to make Mattel Tuff Stuff? Tx
francis chia - August 29, 2012 - Report this comment
Hi Darsh and Elaine
Tom - August 30, 2012 - Report this comment
Brian: I found them! (Or rather my parents did) They are not as I remember, but these are definitely their modern offspring. Look for Build It Construction Starter Set by Early Learning Centre. My 11 month old does not know what to do with them yet, but she will!
Kristin - October 14, 2012 - Report this comment
I am trying to remember the name of the tubes that you could connect together and stretch them...kind if reminds me of an accordion the way they stretched and they would make a sound when you pulled them???
SZA - October 14, 2012 - Report this comment
Kristin, those were POPOIDS!
McMama08 - October 31, 2012 - Report this comment
I read through every single post to find what I was looking for in the very last one! Popoids! Trying to explain these to my mother was next to impossible. Now I can quit thinking about them ;)
sarah - November 02, 2012 - Report this comment
I am trying to find info about a block set i had in the late 80s or early 90s (cant recall). The set was very pink and was basically a baby nursery you built. I distinctly remember putting together a swing. Very girly. Basically the original legos friends lol.
AW - November 04, 2012 - Report this comment
I have a set of old plastic blocks that are magnetic. They make a race car and there is a driver that sits in the top. Anyone know what they are called? They just say 'MAGNET BLOCK' on one.
Jadedoz - November 09, 2012 - Report this comment
AW, I believe the magnetic blocks you are talking about were just called Magnetic Blocks.They were made in Macau, Distributed by Hilco Corporation, Norriston PA. Here is a link to them on ebay:
Ruth Naylor - November 10, 2012 - Report this comment
Hi everyone. I am looking for a plastic block set that I had as a child and LOVED! Someone else sounds like they were trying to describe them. Most of the pieces were shaped like the letter H. Some pieces were flat where you could connect the H pieces. I would love to find them but I don't know the name. Any suggestions?
Megan - November 11, 2012 - Report this comment
I am not sure if this would be the correct place to post - but I need any help I can get, so it's worth a shot. I am looking for a constructing set that had to have been early 90's, (well that's when I recieved it). My mom said she thinks she purchased it from Lillian Vernon. It was a large set that had tubes that came in different lengths and looked just like PVC pipes. At the ends of a pipe there were two small holes. There were U-shaped snap in connectors that had a straight piece in between the U. Those connectors snapped into the hole in the PVC pipes. It also came complete with elbow shaped PVC pipes, wheels, and even a fabric. It has elaborate directions that told you how to build many different things, including a car, a fort (or house), etc. There were so many things to build. I remember it being a very colorful set and I remember there being a ton of pieces. I used to love that toy and can't find the name of it anywhere. It could have been a late 80's toy as well - but I definitely got it when I was about 7 or 8, so 1992 or 1993. HELP!!!!
michelle - November 12, 2012 - Report this comment
Not sure if anyone here can help out or not. I'm looking for a building set, not sure when it was made, I use to play with them at my grandmothers house in the early 80's, so they could have been made any time around or before then. They were circle shaped on the top with 4 legs, the legs would connect to the top of the circles.
Siobhan - November 22, 2012 - Report this comment
Looking for the name of a vintage lego-like building medieval castle set that came in cream bricks with red "tile" roofs.
Amanda - November 28, 2012 - Report this comment
Michelle, I think you are talking about Ringa-majigs. I also think the "H" shaped blocks some people are asking about (that came in a canister) are called Tower-ifics.
Micky - December 09, 2012 - Report this comment
Ok here's one for you all. I'm desperately trying to find the name and where I can get some old puzzle blocks I had when I was a kid. It was in the 80's and they were a flat triangle shape with a puzzle type cut out on each of the three sides so you could conect them to each other. You could make a triangle tunnel or many other shapes. They were plastic and veried in colour. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thabks
Tiago - December 12, 2012 - Report this comment
I remember some bricks like 2x1 in a surface green, we had doors, and windows and roof. The predominant colour was light brown and the roof was green. Always 2x1 bricks. The size was between lego and duplo. And another one, my sisters, it was plastic imitating wood also to build houses, but those were a bit smaller, but longer, it could be like 8x1, it also had roof dark brown. This one was bought in germany. This were the 2 ones i've mosted liked when i was a kid. Also there was a construction like dinassours in the late 80's early 90's with a mechanism based on cord or batery. thanks, i hope i can find any of this :))
Millstatt - December 12, 2012 - Report this comment
ok, i am looking for bloks actually not mentioned yet on this site. I think. My dad bought me these blocks off tv in the early 90's. These were bigger then legos but snapped together at the ends. So if you connected them they wiggled like a snake. Does that make sense? I can't remember the name for the life of me...HELP
Jadedoz - December 15, 2012 - Report this comment
Millstatt, I think I know what your talking about, they had curved ends so that you could build things that curved.
Mina - December 20, 2012 - Report this comment
Megan-I'm looking for the names of those blocks also. My mother bought my son the superheroes set Christmas 1977, heavy building straws from an inch long to the longer ones around 10 inches, with white plastic joiners set at different angles for building many things, primary colored building straws, like tiny pvc pipes. I've seen the superheroes set on ebay and saved the info then lost it again. Thought they were called fiddlestix or superstix but I can't find anything called that so I must be wrong. The superheroes were about 4 inches long, abbreviated figures made of indented plastic with decals of the character portrayed, Batman, Superman (w/Clark Kent on one side), Hulk, Spiderman and Wonder Woman...the sticks made Batmobile, different things for different characters, with special more solid pieces with decals to portray part of the buildings or command centers or batmobile that were colored like the sticks themselves but with decals for definition and used the white angled connectors to connect to the sticks and wheels.
Jenn - December 29, 2012 - Report this comment
I'm looking for the blocks that were flat and had grooves on the edges so you could connect them. They came in 2 different sizes and the big ones, you could build little houses with them they were so big. Does that make sense?
Robert - February 04, 2013 - Report this comment
Hi all, I am looking for the name of blocks that are similar tot Lego Soft, are about the same size but made of hard plastic. I've seen them in an airport kindergarten, have no idea how old they were.
Rob - February 12, 2013 - Report this comment
I am looking for a building set that I played with in late 80s. I remember the pieces were flat and plastic and you would conect them from the side I remember them being triangle in shape could possibly have had other shapes too all I remember is tha you could build a ball out of them or a dinosaur mask!
Naomi - March 01, 2013 - Report this comment
Hi there, I am looking for some blocks I had as kid in the 80s. They were about 3 inches squared and they had the alphabet on one side, some funky 70s pattern on another side and they opened up diagonally to reveal a toy inside that coincided with that letter. Eg, the letter K had a little plastic kangaroo inside. I would love to find these for my kids
Charles - March 05, 2013 - Report this comment
I had some construction toys in the late 70's early 80's that consisted of square green plasic beams with square holes all along the sides. the main connection pieces was square yellow rods. I might be wrong but I think it was called 'Probi'. Sofar I have not been able to find anything on the internet. Anybody out there that knew these blocks?
Christi - April 06, 2013 - Report this comment
Naomi, they are called busy blocks by Tupperware.
ann - June 02, 2013 - Report this comment
90 Vintage WONDER TUFF STUFF Building Blocks Mattel 1979 Retro Preschool Toys I lovedem as a kid and my kids love them i was want to find a few more to go with the ones they have
Erah - July 15, 2013 - Report this comment
I'm looking for the name of some old blocks we used to play with in school. They were huge! As a kid they we about as long as my arm and almost as tall. They looked like giant logos but were so big we had to carry them with both hands. Anyone know what they were called or where to track some down? Thanks
Libby - November 26, 2013 - Report this comment
I'm looking for blocks I had as kid. They were jumbo size and the look like this # and they connected. I cannot find them anywhere. I saw them on a episode of Roseanne! I would love to find these for my kids.. Thanks
EB - November 26, 2013 - Report this comment
Megan/Mina - Megan, I've been looking for those for ages! We have called them omegles or omegals. But to google that or find then has been next to impossible. They were basically yellow pvc pipes with elbow pieces or some other connection that was held together with little blue (I think blue) semi circle snaps. If ANYONE knows what these are called or where to find them, please email at
SZA - November 27, 2013 - Report this comment
Libby, I believe you're thinking of WAFFLE BLOCKS by Little Tikes! Look on ebay for all kinds of sets.
nick - December 27, 2013 - Report this comment
Megan-- I'm looking for them as well I know exactly wat your talking about ..they had orange panels..I made a push cart out of them...don't know a name BC I think it was a low key type toy
Corey - January 15, 2014 - Report this comment
I'm after the little coloured blocks you inserted into a grid to make a picture from roughly 15 years ago. Can't remember the name of them.
John - January 29, 2014 - Report this comment
I know this is from a long while ago but the blocks some of you are looking for are Loc Blocs by Entex
Laura - April 29, 2014 - Report this comment
In the 80's or 90's I had Legos that came in a tall pink container that had a handle (my brother had the blue version). I'm trying to remember what they were called. My mom said they were Duplos but I don't remember them being bigger blocks. There were also instructions in the container with the pieces so you could build specific buildings.
Amanda - June 17, 2014 - Report this comment
I too am looking for the PVC pipes I had as a child in the 80's. The had holes in them and u could make a wheelbarrow and other things as well. Please help!
Corey - August 24, 2014 - Report this comment
hey does anyone remember those spiney plastic building toys? the were different colors and some were cigarette sized and others were wider. the pieces were covered in rubbery plastic spines that would mesh when you pushed the pieces together. i always used the wider flat pieces to make a top-gun like jet and i used the smaller cigarette sized pieces for missiles under the side of each wing. any ideas???
Jon - August 29, 2014 - Report this comment
I think the "H" shaped toys that some of you mentioned is called Lasy Systems.. It comes in green and Yellow H shaped blocks and other wheel, waffled,poles and sticks..
Lauren Spencer - September 06, 2014 - Report this comment
The PVC locking tubes were called pipeworks with click lock locking system by playskool
Josh - October 28, 2014 - Report this comment
There was another brand called Omegals. Those were awesome. Except the clips always broke.
Jay - December 10, 2014 - Report this comment
Corey they are bristle blocks
tina - January 22, 2015 - Report this comment
i am looking for blocks that are 5 one inch cube shapes with connectors that help you build. the cube shape in a waffle pattern. simaler to this pattern * * * * * connector pattern * *
Chelsea - April 01, 2015 - Report this comment
Hi, I wonder if anyone could maybe help, in the early to mid 90s I played with this space ship type set up. it came with circular like balls (came in white, black and blue) that had many small flat sides that were hole for connectors. the connectors were mainly white looking sticks with two prongs that would connect into the was a space ship theme. I have a picture of the blocks as I still have a few bits and pieces at home but not sure how to post. I cant seem to find a name as such for them. a long shot but worth a try.
PL - April 23, 2015 - Report this comment
Hey all - desperately trying to remember the name of these. They were cubes, made from very soft plastic. They had a small peg on one side, and a hole on the opposite side. You connected them and made a long, wiggly thing.
Elijah - April 23, 2015 - Report this comment
I'm trying to find a building block set, I think maybe Mega Block, but one set came in a plastic rocket, the capsule and thrusters were separate pieces, the plastic fuselage contained the "lego" pieces. The capsule had sliding doors on it, and the thrusters had studs on the top that you could build upon. Ringing any bells
Chris - May 07, 2015 - Report this comment
I have some Lego-like pieces but they're all the same size: 2x4 (that's 8 "humps" that stick up on top). Each one has two small "tabs" on on end, and two tiny holes on the other end, which enables them to attach in a row to make a long connected row that hinges (bends) at the point where 2 blocks are connected. I have 4 colors: red, green, yellow, blue. There is no name or logo on them, but if you look extremely closely at the top of each round hump, you may see 4 faint concentric circles with a dot in the center. They're about 2" (5 cm) long; almost an inch wide. The plastic isn't quite as hard as Lego but I wouldn't call it soft. Any ideas?
Rick - May 15, 2015 - Report this comment
The triangular hinged plastic toys were called Zaks
Shevie - May 17, 2015 - Report this comment
I am looking for these legos. I had a a child born in late 80's they had 4 pegs some had 2 pegs maybe they weren't lego material. They had pictures on them cartoonish. They came in a container. Anyone remember I can't for the life of me.
ashley - June 06, 2015 - Report this comment
Hello all, I am looking for a set of blocks, from the 1970's or 1980s. They are much the same as lego, except that the colors were, mainly: white, pink, clear, and 'clear' orange. There may have been other colors but I don't remember them. This is perhaps too vague, but I have searched and searched, so hopefully someone here can help! Thank you :)
Darren - August 12, 2015 - Report this comment
Hi, I'm looking for the name of a construction toy I had in the late 70's / early 80's. It was similar to meccano but instead bolts it had black plastic rivets. And as I recall they were stored in a small box and the top had holes where about 50 of the black rivets were held. When you wanted to connect things together, you would use a handheld tool to click over one of the rivets-which then picked it off the box and you could then push into the plastic frames to build things. Remembering the name of this game is driving me mad !
Daniel P. Brown - October 19, 2015 - Report this comment
Years after the fact, but if anyone else ends up here like myself, Millstatt, and Jadedot, looking for Loc Block-sized blocks that connected with hinges and could make snakes and other movable things - even bracelets and masks - you may be looking for FlexiBlocks. They were sold on TV and in stores in the 1980's and maybe early 90's. The commercial I remember - and was trying to find all day - is available here:
dudley - November 11, 2015 - Report this comment
Darren....... I found your post after googling the black rivet toy. I had it in about 1984 I think. It had a red tool that you used to insert and remove the rivets. I've no idea what it was called and was hoping the internet would know. If you remember whatvit was called please let me know.
Rebecca - February 15, 2016 - Report this comment
What a great thread! I am looking for an older building connector type set. Similar to k'nex but it had grey, blue and red hard plastic balls covered with holes, yellow rivet type pieces to connect the balls together and then grey rods in different lengths that fit into the holes on the balls. My son has some old pieces but I cannot find the name of them. I would like to look on eBay. Thanks!
Joseph - February 22, 2016 - Report this comment
I found a site a while ago by an architect toy fan named Jackie who has a huge list of such toys with photo examples. I myself was looking for a construction toy kit similar but not exactly the same as Build-O-Fun. But in my case, the beams were blue and had white cube connectors (with molded plus connecting points). The kit also had white connectors on wheels and colored panels. I think Dave further up had grandparents with a similar kit. Here is the link to Jackie's site if the form will accept it.
Christine - April 07, 2016 - Report this comment
Rebecca, I believe you are describing Construx. They were put out by Fisher Price. I had to look them up. I remember my neighbor having them back when we were about 5. They stopped making them 20 years ago.
Jelena - June 14, 2016 - Report this comment
Hello everybody. I hope you can help me :) I am looking for relatively small white blocks, they were square and had complicated way of interlocking on two sides and on other sides they had "slot" in which you could fit in green and grey flat plates. Also they had parts from which (4 of them) you could make wheels and they had real rubber "tubes" and metal rods for connecting wheels. You could make a part for steering the vehicle you've made... But they were versatile you could use the same set for making house or smtgh similar. They look similar to the small wheels in the picture in the corner. Does anybody know what I am talking about?
Kishalee - June 26, 2016 - Report this comment
I am trying to find the name of these Lego like blocks that were roundish or hexagon shaped they had four legs on bottom that connected to four pegs on top and a round hole in the center. They were all the same shape and size just different colors and you could build anything.
Crystal - July 17, 2016 - Report this comment
Just popped into my head tonight and I am going crazy trying to remember a late 80's/early 90's building set. The set consisted of multi sides balls which these grey rods snapped into. They came with square and triangular plates that snapped in between the pieces when they were connected. The rods were grey mostly, with some smaller red rods. The connected balls were grey, red, or blue as were the plates. Can anyone tell me what these were?
Pamela - October 08, 2016 - Report this comment
Joseph - did you ever find the name of the toy that you were looking for with blue beams, white cube connectors and coloured panels? It sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. The beams are dark blue, the connectors are white and some are blue, there are black wheels and the panels are red or yellow. I actually have the toy so too bad I can't post a pic. Just wanting to know what they are called.
Mark - October 13, 2016 - Report this comment
Joseph and Pamela, I too have been looking for those blocks. I just broke out the set I had from childhood for my own kids and they love them. I can't find them anywhere and the box I have them in was from something else. I seem to remember calling them "so-in-ohs" or something like that. Does that ring a bell?
Jacqueline - November 02, 2016 - Report this comment
Looking for large magnetic blocks toddler size my kids had in late 80's. Different sizes rectangles, squares etc. strong magnetic hold sold in a red buck. Basically primary colors.
Steve - January 12, 2017 - Report this comment
I came here looking for info about the H-blocks and the answer two years back from Jon is right, the Lasy System is what they were called. I think the box came with some booklet that showed you what you could make out of them. I remember specifically building microphone stand + "microphone" and annoying my brothers with that by singing horribly a song about the street name we lived on. Good times.
Granny - March 26, 2017 - Report this comment
To Crystal July 2016 What you were thinking of are Construx My boys had a set that my grandsons now play with you can google them and se photos
Thor - June 13, 2017 - Report this comment
I am looking for 80s or early 90s toy blocks that in my memory were shaped like peanut shells with large holes in them, they connected to other blocks that were similar in shape but the top and bottom parts were like clasps. Impossible to find since I don´t remember the name...I recall something like "Linkage" or "Linkids" but no results show what I am looking for. They sold in packages portraying dinosaurs, mammals, robots, etc. Does anyone remember these??? :o
Adeel - July 08, 2017 - Report this comment
Hi! I'm looking for a construction set or something of that sort. It came in like a black suitcase type of situation. There were different colored sticks, some blue, some red, etc. The ends of the blue sticks for example were square and the suitcase came with white balls with many different holes on it acting as a connector. The white balls had square holes, triangle holes, etc. I don't know what it's called and I would really appreciate the help! The suitcase itself was large and had MANY different colored sticks with many white balls to accompany the sticks. Any suggestions please comment here or email me at :
Michael - November 01, 2017 - Report this comment
I'm looking for the same thing that Rebecca from February of 2016 is. Definitely not Construx. Similar to ZomeTool, but also had panels. If anyone can help me, please do.
Chris - March 16, 2018 - Report this comment
Thor - they’re called Linkits! Made by Matchbox in the 80s. Took me ages to work this out.
dust - October 03, 2018 - Report this comment
Crystal: they were called Roundabouts
dust - October 03, 2018 - Report this comment
Kishalee, not Crystal, sorry
James - January 05, 2019 - Report this comment
Hi, I'm trying to find these toys I had as s keep d. They were construction toys similar to what ELC and Stem produce nowadays ( Elc construction ) (stem brickyard) but were made in the 80's. I remember a dark blue rectangular box with lots of holes and I attached wheels to this to make a car. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Ryan - August 24, 2020 - Report this comment
Darren and dudley, I have been looking for the same toy for years. Small black plastic rivets and red rivet gun. Just found it! Called Bolt 'N Build. Hard to find online, but search eBay UK.
Peter Ellis - January 01, 2022 - Report this comment
Ryan - THANK YOU! Been driving me nuts trying to search for it.

Submit a story or info about BLOCKS!