Ten Criteria for the Perfect 80's Music Video, Groups Beginning with B
Compiled mostly by Chris Pyhtila with the help of Andy Pachmayer, Chris
Burger, and Aaron Fynewever
Further commentary added by ChuckyG and various web visitors...
This page currently edited by: Rio Rhodes. Past editor: Rock 'n' Roll Fan
The Original Criteria
- At least one babe
- Poofy hair
- Torn clothing
- Cheesy keyboards
- At least one change of clothing
- Stage effects (smoke, lasers, etc.) or visual effects (artist jumping through a TV, disappearing, etc.)
- Wild instrumental or record scratch solo
- A storyline
- A cool car (although any kind of transportation is acceptable, like a plane or a car or a motorcycle)
Songs beginning with: [Index
, "Love Shack"
- Babes? 2 babes...in the The band...and all the extras
- Poofy Hair? The gals and the blokes
- Torn Clothing? When theyre on the mics
- Cheesy Keyboards? I believe so.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Yeah...the pink and then the yellow....
- Stage Effects? naag
- Wild Instrumental solo? drums
- Storyline? Theres a little shack where people get funky
- Cool Automobile? The chrystler...as big as a whale...its apt to set sail
- Sunglasses? yea
Submitted by: Brianne
, "Struggle Buggy Boogie"
- Babes? I can count 5: Bobina, Tina, Patina, Homey Gina, Nina and Zena.
- Poofy Hair? Tina has poofy-Tina Turner hair
- Torn Clothing? Patina's too big for her dress and so she is busting out all over!
- Cheesy Keyboards? the gals jump around on a giant keyboard. mmmm....
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Homey Gina takes off one of her many layers of baggy clothes (striptease for me baby!)
- Stage Effects? strobe lights
- Wild Instrumental solo? Homey Gina raps
- Storyline? VH1 Behind the Music
- Cool Automobile? Struggle Buggy
- Sunglasses? Tina and Patina wear sunglasses
Submitted by: Cynthia Davis
, "No Sleep Till Brooklyn"
- Babes? The female dancer, the girls at the audience
- Poofy Hair? The Beastie Boys (with wigs), the groupies, etc.
- Torn Clothing? The "hair band stlye" clothes the Beastie Boys wore to get the gig.
- Cheesy Keyboards? None.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? The Beastie Boys' '80's hip hop clothes to hair band fashion
- Stage Effects? Zooms, the "explosion" at the end when they were trying to open a safe
- Wild Instrumental solo? The guitar solo. The video featured a gorilla playing it.
- Storyline? The Beastie Boys wanted to play a gig, but the owner told them that he only wants rock music. They dressed up like a hair band (like Poison, Motley Crue, etc.) and finally got the gig. And poking fun of the typical hair band video on stage, which were very popular at the time.
- Cool Automobile? None. Strangely, are the part of the hip hop & rock video cliche'.
- Sunglasses? Some of the audience members wore some.
Submitted by: Music Video Nut
, "Fight For Your Right (To Party)"
- Babes? A whole party full of them.
- Poofy Hair? Most of the "babes" had poofy hair.
- Torn Clothing? The nerd's clothes were torn up after they dragged him into the bathroom.
- Cheesy Keyboards? Not seen or heard in the video.....but I'm sure the nerd must have had one in his room! ;)
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Not during the vid.....but I'm sure after that pie fight EVERYONE changed clothes.
- Stage Effects? Wildly partying young adults and flying pies.....whate else does a video need?
- Wild Instrumental solo? Wild, but short, guitar solo mid-song.
- Storyline? Nerd's parents go out for the night. Beastie Boys & pals crash nerd's little party and basically destroy the nerd's house.
- Cool Automobile? None to be seen.
- Sunglasses? Mike D. wears them throughout the video, and I think a couple of the bikers had some on as well.
Submitted by: Lesley
, "In a Big Country"
- Babes? Yeah, and she beats the crap out of the band.
- Poofy Hair? On the lead singer (more spiky) and the babe.
- Torn Clothing? Again, on the babe.
- Cheesy Keyboards? You don't see them, but they're there.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? They change into freakin' Scuba gear, work cloths, and stage clothes.
- Stage Effects? Burning building, flares...
- Wild Instrumental solo? Three words: Bagpipe Sounding Guitars
- Storyline? The lads are on a quest to retreive a box. Who knows what's in the box. Drugs? Gold? The holy grail? Anyway, it's obviously important, because they ride around on ATVs, go diving, and scale a cliff to get it.
- Cool Automobile? Pontoon boat, jetski, ATVs
- Sunglasses? Here's the only omission -- but the babe DOES use binoculars. I say that counts.
Submitted by: ScoopKW
, "Hot in the City"
- Babes? Yes riding on the motorcycle with billy.
- Poofy Hair? Yeah kinda spiked
- Torn Clothing? Yes, he got a confederate flag shirt that's ripped on chest.
- Cheesy Keyboards? I didn't see no keyboard.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Yes the one on the motorcycle part and the one when he was in the building.
- Stage Effects? I seen two when he punched a hole in the wall and showed his face over the town.
- Wild Instrumental solo? Steve Stevens guitar
- Storyline? Kinda he riding through new york and standing in a window yelling new york.
- Cool Automobile? A motorcycle
- Sunglasses? Yes, when he was riding the motorcyclce
Submitted by: Clay Morris
, "My Prerrogative"
- Babes? Many backup babes playing instruments
- Poofy Hair? Bobby's hair was kinda poofy!
- Torn Clothing? His clothes looks torn! Don't they?
- Cheesy Keyboards? Thoughout the whole song!!!
- At Least One Change of Clothing? I think there is a change in clothes...Not sure...
- Stage Effects? He is on the stage... The elevator he takes down to the stage is considered a special effect...
- Wild Instrumental solo? There's a break in the song where is talks for awhile...
- Storyline? He gets out of his car takes an elevator down to the stage and jams!
- Cool Automobile? The car skretches at the beginning...
- Sunglasses? Bobby is wearing sunglasses at the beginning of the video when he gets out of the car...
Submitted by: Dan
, "Lay Your Hands On Me"
- Babes? Plenty of babes!
- Poofy Hair? All of them have poofy hair... He he...
- Torn Clothing? Ripped jeans....
- Cheesy Keyboards? Hmmm.... Not cheesy... Pretty cool keyboards....
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Towards The End...
- Stage Effects? The sparks flying at the start of the main guitar riff....
- Wild Instrumental solo? Wild solo alright!!!
- Storyline? All Jovi songs are stories...
- Cool Automobile? Nope... Plenty of babes to ride though.. He he...
- Sunglasses? Jon at the start....
Submitted by: Randev
, "Living On A Prayer"
- Babes? Ok, like the whole audince is chicks.
- Poofy Hair? Umm, we're talking about Bon Jovi (the greatest Band) of course they had poofy hair, they wouldnt be bon jovi without poofy hair!
- Torn Clothing? Umm, yeah, like 5 changes of torn clothing.
- Cheesy Keyboards? Yup.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Like 5
- Stage Effects? Yup, good effects!
- Wild Instrumental solo? Oh yeah, Go Richie!!
- Storyline? Yep, Tommy and Gina are gonna make it through the hard times.
- Cool Automobile? Umm, no, but they don't need it, they're bon jovi!
- Sunglasses? Of Course!
Submitted by: Jen
The Breakfast Club's
, "Right On Track (1987)"
- Babes? There are three, although they are dressed as chickens.
- Poofy Hair? Actually, the boys are disappointingly clean cut.
- Torn Clothing? Again, too clean cut.
- Cheesy Keyboards? It has about two of these, one being played by dismembered hands, connected to the body of the instrumentalist by fluro slinkies.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Geez, these guys need a new fashion consultant!
- Stage Effects? This is where it makes up for all it lacks. There are too many to mention.
- Wild Instrumental solo? VERY cool synth riff.
- Storyline? It has one, although it is hard to find amonst all the hype. I think it's got something to do with getting one's life back on course.
- Cool Automobile? A Corvette with leopard print fenders and dalmation/zebra print interior comes crashing through a wall.
- Sunglasses? They are all wearing them at some point. The lead pulls out a pair in the last chorus and puts them on in that "I'm too cool for words" style.
Submitted by: Daniel Raffaele
, "Video Killed the Radio Star"
- Babes? The woman in the tube.
- Poofy Hair? Definitely.
- Torn Clothing? Nope.
- Cheesy Keyboards? Yes. Very cheesy. Guys piano-synching
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Actually, there are about 3.
- Stage Effects? A whole lot of explosions.
- Wild Instrumental solo? Kind of. There's some at many various points in the song.
- Storyline? Kind of.
- Cool Automobile? No.
- Sunglasses? Yes. The lead singer wears them throughout the video.
Submitted by: Laslo Denitrix
Songs beginning with: [Index
Do You Have a Video to Share?
Please check out the Perfect 80s Music Videos submission page.