Ten Criteria for the Perfect 80's Music Video, Groups Beginning with C
Compiled mostly by Chris Pyhtila with the help of Andy Pachmayer, Chris
Burger, and Aaron Fynewever
Further commentary added by ChuckyG and various web visitors...
This page currently edited by: Rio Rhodes. Past editor: Rock 'n' Roll Fan
The Original Criteria
- At least one babe
- Poofy hair
- Torn clothing
- Cheesy keyboards
- At least one change of clothing
- Stage effects (smoke, lasers, etc.) or visual effects (artist jumping through a TV, disappearing, etc.)
- Wild instrumental or record scratch solo
- A storyline
- A cool car (although any kind of transportation is acceptable, like a plane or a car or a motorcycle)
Songs beginning with: [Index
, "Shake It Up"
- Babes? Three, actually. Two brunettes and a blonde.
- Poofy Hair? The blonde babe had it.
- Torn Clothing? Not sure. I think a babe and/or bandmember had torn jeans.
- Cheesy Keyboards? Yes, but I don't think they're cheesy. Most people would.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Yes, after they're done in the car, they dance around with all the people and I am 90% sure they change clothes.
- Stage Effects? None that I can think of.
- Wild Instrumental solo? Yeah, guitar solo at the end when they keep saying "Shake it up" over and over.
- Storyline? They pick up a bunch of people who have shaking items. Like a granny with a bell, a blonde babe with a snowglobe, then they drive around shaking things in a convertible and having fun.
- Cool Automobile? DUH! The awesome red convertible they all drive in!!!!!
- Sunglasses? I think the lead singer wears them.
Submitted by: Kat
, "Shake Me"
- Babes? The apron wearing babe A "Cinderella", the story not the band, type character. And the two not-so-ugly step sisters.
- Poofy Hair? Everybody!!! Cinderella, the audience, & the main characters of the video.
- Torn Clothing? The band Cinderella & the girl wearing slits on her dress (see #5)
- Cheesy Keyboards? None.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? When the 'Cinderella' type character's clothes chages from a apron with regular clothes to a sexy dress with slits on.
- Stage Effects? When the band came "alive" from the poster.
- Wild Instrumental solo? A typical hair band guitar solo.
- Storyline? The "Cinderella" character's step sisters doesn't want her to go to the Cinderella concert and wants her to stay at home to do more chores. (Sounds familiar?) She lays on her bed until the band Cinderella comes "alive" from her poster & brings her onstage of their show. The step sisters, obiviously, become jealous. The band takes her to their limo at the end. Much like the fairy tale, but without a pumpkin, curfew & Fairy Godmother. Plus, a non traditional ending.
- Cool Automobile? A limosine
- Sunglasses? The "Step Sisters" wore them throughout the video. Though they look more "new wave" than "hair metal", IMO.
Submitted by: Music Video Nut
, "Sunglasses at Night"
- Babes? Corey!(and for guys that police officer)
- Poofy Hair? The extras in the jail.
- Torn Clothing? That shirt he wears.
- Cheesy Keyboards? Not really cheesey, but some keyboards are played.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? He has first black shoes and red ones.
- Stage Effects? Well... his shades go on and off magically.
- Wild Instrumental solo? The begining.
- Storyline? Some sort of story is going on.
- Cool Automobile? For a second a motorcycle is in the background.
- Sunglasses? Hello look at the song's name, who DOESN'T wear shades?
Submitted by: Sabrina Sebens
, "Sunglasses at Night"
- Babes? Check. Several babes, most of whom are jailers (see #8).
- Poofy Hair? Check. Babes from #1 all have poofy hair, of course.
- Torn Clothing? Check. Corey's shirt sleeve is ripped.
- Cheesy Keyboards? Check. You can't see them, but you sure can hear them, from the moment the music starts.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Check. Every time his sunglasses appear and disappear, it's like a whole new outfit. Plus you don't get to see his nice pointy red shoes until halfway through.
- Stage Effects? Check. Corey disappears and re-appears constantly.
- Wild Instrumental solo? Check. Guitar (or keyboard sounding like guitar??) wails at the end.
- Storyline? Check. He's pursuing some babe (see #1) and then gets hauled off to jail? Or something??
- Cool Automobile? Technically no. But teleportation is a pretty cool method of transportation, no?
- Sunglasses? Um, check.
Submitted by: LAX213
, "She Bop"
- Babes? Cyndi of course, plus the waitress at the beginning, any of the female "clones", plus female members of the SWAT team (tho they're kinda old)
- Poofy Hair? Cyndi's teased out, rainbow hair
- Torn Clothing? Cyndi's thrift clothes are usually torn in one or two places, Captain Lou Albano's striped shirt is torn in the front as well
- Cheesy Keyboards? No cheesy keyboards, but a "whistle along here" insturmental portion with someone whistling (Cyndi?) on the track
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Cyndi goes from bustier, gold lame' pants with a slit s up the side skirt, loads of belts (including one with spent ammo shells on it) and hat (with the usual piles of cheap jewlery) to a white tuxedo, lots of rhinestone/pearl jewlery, tophat, cane and blind man glasses.
- Stage Effects? Cyndi becomes animated during the chase scene, dissolve/fade effects on a blue screen when Cyndi segueways from Burger Clone to the Frank Sinatra dance number
- Wild Instrumental solo? Insturmental portion during animation includes a "whistle along here" section, as well as breaking glass sound effects.
- Storyline? Cyndi goes to a burger place but the SWAT team tries to arrest her for "bopping", so she hops in the side car of a bad boy's motorcycle and he takes her for a wild ride.
- Cool Automobile? Motorcycles (including one with a side car that cyndi rides), vintage 1950s car w/fins, SWAT team Jeep
- Sunglasses? Cyndi wears blind person glasses (black smoked lenses) during the big dance number (from the line in the song "They say I'd better stop or I'll go blind")
Submitted by: Chris Savas
, "Girls Just Want To Have Fun"
- Babes? CYNDI LAUPER and can i pls also say her friends too!!!!!
- Poofy Hair? Cyndi's low colours orange-redish hair
- Torn Clothing? Yes,her outfits,the gliteering pinkish rose dress and jewellry accessories,+ her last one appearing right through the video.
- Cheesy Keyboards? In the beginning as she moves fast across the brick wall.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Her pyjama safari costume then her 50's red dress
- Stage Effects? the clourful bubble fizzy drink effects of her and her friends in the interlude
- Wild Instrumental solo? the electronic computer keyboard sound in the interlude.
- Storyline? A troubled teenager out from last night's party roams back into brooklyn (her home),to come and confront her parents from the nite out,she had.She endlessly gets in a lot of trouble ,getting her father abusing verbally the mother and she invites her friends to crash into her room 4 some party.
- Cool Automobile? The boy on the bike,who seems like he was delivering the newspaper.
- Sunglasses? Yep,when cyndi & her friends are outside in front of the waterfeature putting on some funky glasses one by one.
Submitted by: Tasi T
, "Time after Time"
- Babes? Cyndi
- Poofy Hair? Cyndi's big, red anf yellow hair
- Torn Clothing? Cyndi's Boyfriend's Jeans
- Cheesy Keyboards? I think so
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Three different outfits at least
- Stage Effects? The faded image of someone sweeping appears in a shop doorway, and then vanishes again when Cyndi reaches out to touch it.
- Wild Instrumental solo? A strange instrument in the gap between the chorus and second verse
- Storyline? Cyndi leaving her boyfriend and moving back in with her Mom, then moving out and leaving on a train while she is crying.
- Cool Automobile? The train?
- Sunglasses? At the start, as Cyndi walks into a diner
Submitted by: Nathan
, "She Bop"
- Babes? Cyndi Lauper
- Poofy Hair? Cyndi's poofy wild Orange hair
- Torn Clothing? Of course
- Cheesy Keyboards? Most early Cyndi songs have this
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Yes, from wearing wild multi-colored clothes to a white suit and top hat.
- Stage Effects? It turns into a cartoon
- Wild Instrumental solo? Probably
- Storyline? Yeah, I won't go into it cause it's kind of gross.
- Cool Automobile? Cyndi rides with a guy on his motorcycle, and has a classic car herself.
- Sunglasses? She wears them at the end, ya know, when she goes blind.
Submitted by: Blake Roberts
Songs beginning with: [Index
Do You Have a Video to Share?
Please check out the Perfect 80s Music Videos submission page.