Ten Criteria for the Perfect 80's Music Video, Groups Beginning with E
Compiled mostly by Chris Pyhtila with the help of Andy Pachmayer, Chris
Burger, and Aaron Fynewever
Further commentary added by ChuckyG and various web visitors...
This page currently edited by: Rio Rhodes. Past editor: Rock 'n' Roll Fan
The Original Criteria
- At least one babe
- Poofy hair
- Torn clothing
- Cheesy keyboards
- At least one change of clothing
- Stage effects (smoke, lasers, etc.) or visual effects (artist jumping through a TV, disappearing, etc.)
- Wild instrumental or record scratch solo
- A storyline
- A cool car (although any kind of transportation is acceptable, like a plane or a car or a motorcycle)
Songs beginning with: [Index
, "The Final Countdown"
- Babes? A chick in the audience singing along to the lyrics to the song.
- Poofy Hair? Yep....especially the hair on lead singer and songwriter Joey Tempest. XD
- Torn Clothing? Not really...but then maybe I never noticed any.
- Cheesy Keyboards? Only the most memorable and powerful synth riff of all time, baby! =)
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Joey Tempest wears 3 jackets of the same design(they all have chevron triangles on the shoulders), but in 3 different color combos...white with black chevrons, black with white chevrons, and red with black chevrons...and he also wears, in a part shot at soundcheck, a leather vest with dark grey t-shirt.
- Stage Effects? Some explosions at the front of the stage when the drums first hit, and also some fireworks behind drummer Ian Haugland's platform as his brief drum solo happens.
- Wild Instrumental solo? Not sure...though guitarist John Norum really kicks it hard in his solo. =)
- Storyline? I think it was just the breakneck helicopter journey to a really big event...that being the concert EUROPE held at Solnahallen northwest of Stockholm...and seeing quite a bit of Sweden in the scenery cutaways.
- Cool Automobile? Again, the helicopter flying fast through the Stockholm area shooting it's footage that eventually arrives at Solnahallen, where it greets the band standing on the building's rooftop, waving at the chopper overhead...oh, and the band's logo is on the roof in the form 'EUROPE - 86'...a nice touch. =)
- Sunglasses? Not really...the song is so awesome, they're not needed. XD
Submitted by: Ronald 'Ragin' Ronic' Mears
, "Missionary Man"
- Babes? Annie Lennox (Duh!)
- Poofy Hair? Dave, as always, and that back-up chick with the Aquanet fixation!
- Torn Clothing? No, but Annie unzips her cat-suit a lot!
- Cheesy Keyboards? I'm pretty sure, right alongside the super-cool moving drum-tube-things
- At Least One Change of Clothing? If you count turning from an apple into a leather-clad vixen!
- Stage Effects? Groovy dripping-into-Annie sequence at the beginning, twitchy camera-work
- Wild Instrumental solo? yup...followed by some serious headbanging
- Storyline? Dave is working in his lab and creates the luscious Annie...then proceeds to stalk her throughout the video
- Cool Automobile? none
- Sunglasses? Dave (double-duh!)
Submitted by: Jackson
, "Who's That Girl"
- Babes? Bananarama the 80's girl group who were in the video as a guest.
- Poofy Hair? Annie wearing two wigs one as a teenage girl wig and an Elvis wig and Dave who had poofy hair
- Torn Clothing? None
- Cheesy Keyboards? A guy playing the organ at the bar
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Annie plays two sides as one of the lady singing with a black dress and the other one as a man wearing a black suit.
- Stage Effects? None
- Wild Instrumental solo? Bananarama, Marilyn, Kiki Dee and other saying tell me in the background.
- Storyline? A group of people seeing a woman singing.
- Cool Automobile? None
- Sunglasses? Only Dave wears it and Marilyn wears it too
Submitted by: Gregory Holmstrom
Songs beginning with: [Index
Do You Have a Video to Share?
Please check out the Perfect 80s Music Videos submission page.