Ten Criteria for the Perfect 80's Music Video, Groups Beginning with D
Compiled mostly by Chris Pyhtila with the help of Andy Pachmayer, Chris
Burger, and Aaron Fynewever
Further commentary added by ChuckyG and various web visitors...
This page currently edited by: Rio Rhodes. Past editor: Rock 'n' Roll Fan
The Original Criteria
- At least one babe
- Poofy hair
- Torn clothing
- Cheesy keyboards
- At least one change of clothing
- Stage effects (smoke, lasers, etc.) or visual effects (artist jumping through a TV, disappearing, etc.)
- Wild instrumental or record scratch solo
- A storyline
- A cool car (although any kind of transportation is acceptable, like a plane or a car or a motorcycle)
Songs beginning with: [Index
DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince's
, "Parents Just Don't Understand"
- Babes? The girl Will Smith picks up
- Poofy Hair? The mother, the girl, the little sister
- Torn Clothing? Some jeans an extra worn.
- Cheesy Keyboards? The beat (Which runs throughout the song)
- At Least One Change of Clothing? The cool clothes from 1988, outdated '60's clothes.
- Stage Effects? Smoke machine (during car scene), scenary changes
- Wild Instrumental solo? DJ Jazzy Jeff's "riffs"
- Storyline? This video goes excatly what the song states. It starts off with his first day of school that he has to wear outdated clothes that his parents bought him. The second verse is about Will Smith borrowing his parents car while their in vacation & the car ends up towed.
- Cool Automobile? The Porsche
- Sunglasses? When Will Smith is in the porsche.
Submitted by: Music Video Nut
David Lee Roth's
, "Just A Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody"
- Babes? C'mon...It was Roth's followup to California Girls! He had Vanna White game show types, many nurses,
- Poofy Hair? Dave's hair was poofy and wild!!!
- Torn Clothing? At one point someone tears his pants off or at least pulls them down!
- Cheesy Keyboards? Questionable...But there was a lot of cheesy dialogue and costumes...
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Several costume changes for Dave
- Stage Effects? There's an explosion in the video
- Wild Instrumental solo? Yes...when he's leading the Daverize class!
- Storyline? Dave daydreams about what it would be like to create his own video to view on "Dave TV"
- Cool Automobile? Can't remember...I think a car is seen...
- Sunglasses? Definitely...
Submitted by: Dan
David Lee Roth's
, "California Girls"
- Babes? It's "California Girls", so naturally it's off the babe scale!
- Poofy Hair? With lots of babes come lots of hair, not to mention DLR's hair!
- Torn Clothing? What cloth there is on the ladies seems to be pretty ragged, and Dave isn't known for neat clothing either.
- Cheesy Keyboards? You can't see them, but you can definitely hear them.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Clothes, clothes and more clothes.
- Stage Effects? Lots of cool camera pans and closeups in "strategic" areas.
- Wild Instrumental solo? Jangly synth version of the Beach Boys' surf solo.
- Storyline? Dave is "Your Guide", enough said!
- Cool Automobile? Plenty of those too, don't know what kind, I was too busy looking at er... other things.
- Sunglasses? Dave must have kept Bausch & Lomb in business through the 80's!
Submitted by: ChrisPC
, "We Could Be Together"
- Babes? Debbie Gibson,She's quite a hottie in this video.
- Poofy Hair? Everybody,especially the original teen queen.
- Torn Clothing? Some of the extras wore ripped jeans. Deb probably wore some ripped jeans in this video, I'm not sure.
- Cheesy Keyboards? Her keyboard player. Yes, Debbie Gibson had a keyboard player.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Debs wore about 5 out fits in the video. A leather jacket,tie dye shirt,white off shoulder shirt,etc.
- Stage Effects? Different "zooms", camera angles,and scenes similar to DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince.
- Wild Instrumental solo? A guitar solo. Not like Eddie Van Halen or Slash,but it was worth it.
- Storyline? None. It had an intro with a bus driver giving out strict rules about being on the bus and ended with Deb & her friends running over the bus driver. (He wasn't hurt.)
- Cool Automobile? Deb's actual '50's convertable.
- Sunglasses? One of the extras wore sunglasses.
Submitted by: Jose Ramos
, "Rock of Ages"
- Babes? Yep, there are at least two
- Poofy Hair? Sav and Steve and the random woman in hand cuffs
- Torn Clothing? yes,Joe's top on the boat thingy
- Cheesy Keyboards? umm no but there is in some of there other songs
- At Least One Change of Clothing? yes all the band chang there clothes at some point
- Stage Effects? when isn't there effects?
- Wild Instrumental solo? well yeah! the riffmasters' in this band
- Storyline? yeah but god knows what it is
- Cool Automobile? i'm sure there is one but i just can't think of it
- Sunglasses? probably there's always someone wearing them
Submitted by: Rachel
, "Master And Servant"
- Babes? It's Got Several, A few cleaning the house at the beginning, one lipsyncing martin's part, and the ones in the cool cars at the end.
- Poofy Hair? Martin's hair would probably count as poofy
- Torn Clothing? the workers
- Cheesy Keyboards? Theyre not cheesy, but depeche mode would be an a capella group without them
- At Least One Change of Clothing? dave goes from a leather jacket to a cardigan
- Stage Effects? two or three scenes at once, spinning the view, and playing it backwards, only to name a few
- Wild Instrumental solo? yeah there is a keyboard solo in the end
- Storyline? not really, just the band haning from chains, polititians, workers and housewives from the 50's, and a wedding scene
- Cool Automobile? at the end two of the babes are displaying the car
- Sunglasses? i dont think so
Submitted by: Earl
- Babes? 2 circus dancers,plus a juggling girl who's the object of both Gore & Gahan's affections.
- Poofy Hair? Gore-his hair is wicked!
- Torn Clothing? Gahan in torn jeans (mmm) and the two jugglers(Gore and the girl)in cool,checkered clown get-ups.
- Cheesy Keyboards? keyboards are significant in the music,but they're not cheesy!
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Well,since this is a circus scene,there are a few costume changes.
- Stage Effects? Fake rain,transition from day to night in one shot.
- Wild Instrumental solo? No wild instrumental..just a WILDER instrumental!
- Storyline? A girl must decide between a contorting circus performer(Gahan) or her juggling partner (Gore).
- Cool Automobile? Caravans-the ultimate circusmobile!
- Sunglasses? Gahan looking very nice in black sunnies.
Submitted by: cordelia
- Babes? Two babes
- Poofy Hair? Martin and the two girls have poofy hair
- Torn Clothing? Erm well, one of the girls takes her clothes off, so yeah...
- Cheesy Keyboards? There are keyboards and I don't think they're cheesy, but call them cheesy if you want ;)
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Not really
- Stage Effects? Erm ... the parts where Dave is dancing show some moving backgrounds ... and there are a few cartoons
- Wild Instrumental solo? The intro ^^ erm, no, not really, but the intro is such a cool keyboard part/solo
- Storyline? Hmmm ... the guys pick up two random models/bitches XD honestly, I don't get the story
- Cool Automobile? There is a car driving in the background
- Sunglasses? Yeessssss, all four of them wear sunglasses
Submitted by: Danielle
, "Behind The Wheel"
- Babes? The girl who picks Dave up
- Poofy Hair? Martin Gore has poofy hair
- Torn Clothing? Yes
- Cheesy Keyboards? Andrew playing keyboards , its depeche mode their music consists of keyboards.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Yes
- Stage Effects? Color change
- Wild Instrumental solo? Yes
- Storyline? Yes
- Cool Automobile? The girls moped
- Sunglasses? Yes, Dave Gahan has sunglasses on
Submitted by: Katie Hansen
, "Whip It"
- Babes? Yep two yuppie/cowgirl babes, one crosseyed Chinese woman with a gun and the girl having her clothes whipped off.
- Poofy Hair? Yes the yuppie babes have poofy hair as well as the one getting whipped.
- Torn Clothing? I guess clothes being whipped off get torn. The band should get honorable mention in the clothing criteria for their really weird hats.
- Cheesy Keyboards? Most definitely. The synth line goes repititiously like beee-bah-booo.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Losing clothes due to repititious whipping might count.
- Stage Effects? Not many. It was about the cheapest video ever made.
- Wild Instrumental solo? Not really.
- Storyline? Yuppie/cowboys go to dinner at a plastic log cabin while S&M rituals take place.
- Cool Automobile? No.
- Sunglasses? Yes some of the band members wear sunglasses.
Submitted by: Jeff
, "Rainbow in the Dark"
- Babes? A kind of chubby british chick and I guess the painting of a chick in a salon window might count
- Poofy Hair? It's Dio nuff said
- Torn Clothing? Not that I can remember
- Cheesy Keyboards? Rainbow in the Dark need I say more?
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Nope
- Stage Effects? Different camara angles to show what the man is thinking his "Demons"
- Wild Instrumental solo? Vivian Campell's guitar solo gotta love it!
- Storyline? Your lost to your own perverted mind "you've been left on your own like a rainbow in the dark"
- Cool Automobile? Not in a Dio video that's ZZ TOP's department
- Sunglasses? Not that I can remember
Submitted by: Hellion
, "Rock and Roll Children"
- Babes? The teenage girl that is the focus of the storyline.
- Poofy Hair? Dio hasn't the poofiest of all of them.
- Torn Clothing? The teenage girl has a torn sleeveless shirt on.
- Cheesy Keyboards? No keyboards.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? The two teenagers see themselves in a bunch of different scenarios that they don't want to be in and change clothes to match the scene.
- Stage Effects? The whole video is an effect. They go into a wardrobe and end up in Dio's pyschoticland.
- Wild Instrumental solo? Massive guitar riffs
- Storyline? The teenage boy and girl are struggling through to find their true identies.
- Cool Automobile? Car parked outside of Dio's store.
- Sunglasses? Someone had them on, I'm sure of it!
Submitted by: Rosie
, "Money For Nothing"
- Babes? One appears on Mtv!
- Poofy Hair? Mark Knopfler got some kind of puffy poofy hair do!
- Torn Clothing? When appearing on stage, the band doesnt wear any kind of torn clothing but their taste is so bad, that we could count their clothes as "torn"!
- Cheesy Keyboards? Oh no! I can hear that stupid wavey keyboard sound! Stop it!!!
- At Least One Change of Clothing? No. Their onstage. They cant take their clothes on while performing! Only Ozzy does that!
- Stage Effects? A lot! the stupid glowing colors and the 3D thing were very HOT back in the 80s!
- Wild Instrumental solo? Of course! Knopflers crazy guitar playing!
- Storyline? Some 3D guys...trying to do something with home devises...Never got that point...
- Cool Automobile? No cool vehicle..only some microwave ovens...kitchens....refrigerators and ... color TVs!!! Can you believe that! C O L O R TVs!!!!!! So COOL!!!!
- Sunglasses? No sunglasses at night! Only Corey Hart does that!
Submitted by: Paul Evereign
, "What A Night"
- Babes? All the five girls (once they where with six babes)
- Poofy Hair? Of course, the Dolly dots where famous about there hair thing
- Torn Clothing? No, but pretty cool
- Cheesy Keyboards? I think so
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Yep there leather jackets underground, and there black clotes while you see there faces
- Stage Effects? At the end with the glitter snow
- Wild Instrumental solo? In the middle
- Storyline? They just wanna party
- Cool Automobile? No
- Sunglasses? Maybe one off the dancers
Submitted by: Fito
, "Boys of Summer"
- Babes? Its got 2! The beach babe running with the dude on the beach and a teenage chick in her bedroom.
- Poofy Hair? Don has it every time he's on camera in this vid
- Torn Clothing? guess you could say the teenage girl has close to 'torn' shirt
- Cheesy Keyboards? Not actually seen in vid. but the song has really cool keyboard/synth sound
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Yes, from beach clothes, to office clothes, to winter jacket Henley wears
- Stage Effects? Just absoluetly amazing how the editing worked. Seemless transistion into new scenes with out missing a beat (literally). Pretty good fade ins and fade outs
- Wild Instrumental solo? refer to answer #4
- Storyline? Yes, very much so. A noir tale of lost love seen through the eyes of Henley, an alcholic business man, the teenage girl, young drummer boy, and running on the beach duo
- Cool Automobile? Agian not seen, but plays a crucial role as Henley's feet were strapped to the bottom of a truck bed for his scenes. Speakers were installed above the cab to help him keep track of which verse to lip synch
- Sunglasses? There is this women in a beach house (by a pool) early in the vid. If memory serves me right, she wore a pair
Submitted by: Brady Castleberry
- Babes? Besides Don himself, there's a few babes in & out of this vid.
- Poofy Hair? Dweezil Zappa. Nuff said.
- Torn Clothing? Hard to spot, but there's a scene in which Don carries a kid amid gunfire where his vest is clearly ripped at the shoulder.
- Cheesy Keyboards? They're there, hard to hear, but there's a keyboardist onstage in case there was any doubt.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Tons.
- Stage Effects? Lots...there's a war story that plays like a background film in this video.
- Wild Instrumental solo? Dweezil goes wild.
- Storyline? Aforementioned war story...I think this was part of a longer concept piece on home video as well.
- Cool Automobile? Cars throughout, also a helicopter.
- Sunglasses? It's Don Johnson after all! Actually, only near the very beginning is he wearing them in a short street scene.
Submitted by: Bruno
, "Hungry Like the Wolf"
- Babes? The tiger chick, and the babes that the rest of the band hooks up with in the middle.
- Poofy Hair? Duran Duran = poofy hair.
- Torn Clothing? When he's crossing the river.
- Cheesy Keyboards? If you take out his voice and the awesome guitar riffs, its all cheesy keyboard.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? He loses his hat multiple times.
- Stage Effects? Some slow motion when he finally catches her, and alot of recycled scenes.
- Wild Instrumental solo? The guitar has a pretty sweet solo when there's no lyrics.
- Storyline? He's chasing some jungle woman he met at a party, finally gets her in the end sort of.
- Cool Automobile? A pretty sick canoe.
- Sunglasses? In the beginning when he's sitting at the table.
Submitted by: Charles
, "Lonely In Your Nightmare"
- Babes? The latina woman who appears throughout the video.
- Poofy Hair? 1/2 of the video was filmed in 1982, the other 1/2 was in 1983. Lots of huge hair to go around those 2 years.
- Torn Clothing? No torn clothing but a lot of bed lining being pulled and slept in.
- Cheesy Keyboards? Lots of natural instruments in this song but near the end you can hear Nick's keyboard whale on for a bit.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? As stated above, since the video was shot over the span of two years they appear VERY different in some shots (w/ differenct clothes).
- Stage Effects? No effects, just some BAD lighting near the end with simon near the beach.
- Wild Instrumental solo? A bit of Nick Rhodes and John Taylor doing a sombre solo of bass and keyboards.
- Storyline? A woman keeps appearing to members of the band, Simon follows her and tries to be with her.
- Cool Automobile? Lots of moving objects in the "busy market scene"
- Sunglasses? No sunglasses but near the end each member of the band looks into the camera in black and white.
Submitted by: David L
, "Hungry Like the Wolf"
- Babes? There was the one that the singer was chasing and the babes that the other band mates were with.
- Poofy Hair? Of course. I don't know their names but the one with the tight red pants had the most poofy hair.
- Torn Clothing? The singer's clothes are clearly ripped in the back by the time he reaches the girl.
- Cheesy Keyboards? It's a Duran Duran song.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? The other band members change from khakis to dress clothes for a shot of a party.
- Stage Effects? Well there is not much, but there is that one transition where the screen looks like it's being ripped up. I guess that's a visual effect.
- Wild Instrumental solo? I guess not. The closest thing would be the part in the middle where it goes "Hungry like the wolf... pant pant pant" and it gets kind of trippy. But that's not wild.
- Storyline? Uh... A man is chasing after a girl, stalking her wolf-style through the jungle. They finally meet, she scratches her, and then they get in on in the bushes.
- Cool Automobile? Well, not exactly cool but he was riding in a neat canoe.
- Sunglasses? He is very clearly wearing glasses when you first see him.
Submitted by: dave
, "Hungry Like the Wolf"
- Babes? The jungle babe Simon encounters
- Poofy Hair? John's hair could be considered poofy
- Torn Clothing? Simon's shirt
- Cheesy Keyboards? Duran Duran. Do the math.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Only if you count Simon's jacket.
- Stage Effects? When Simon comes out of the water perfectly dry.
- Wild Instrumental solo? The "rat-tat-tat" drum fill.
- Storyline? Simon in the jungle. John, Andy, Roger, and Nick looking for Simon.
- Cool Automobile? The outrigger canoe Simon uses on the river
- Sunglasses? When we first see Simon Le Bon, he takes off his sunglasses.
Submitted by: Eugol Dlareg
, "Is There Somthing I Should Know?"
- Babes? not realy,just showing clips in their previous videos with babes
- Poofy Hair? no,but jhon defintly has,not that much,they all look handsome good-looking men
- Torn Clothing? no,100% smartly dressed
- Cheesy Keyboards? not on this video,they don't play instruments in this video.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? yeah john,andy,nick wear army suits
- Stage Effects? alot,stripes,clips of their previous video,and a baby looking at their earlier videos.
- Wild Instrumental solo? not realy
- Storyline? it doesn't have a story realy.
- Cool Automobile? no.this video has cool graphics
- Sunglasses? no,they all look normal and smartly dressed.
Submitted by: zara
, "Save A Prayer"
- Babes? Some babes, but they are fairly modest.
- Poofy Hair? Nick and John are pretty poofy until they get wet about 2/3 of the way through.
- Torn Clothing? The Sri Lankans do, but not the band.
- Cheesy Keyboards? Not once in my life can I recall Nick or his keyboards being cheesy.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? A few - they have to get dressed up to go to the temple at the end
- Stage Effects? The whole thing was shot in SRI LANKA, for cryin' out loud! It's one big effect. The temple and the elephants were nice.
- Wild Instrumental solo? Andy's solo about halfway through, but it's more celestial than wild.
- Storyline? Generally romping around on the beach. See a temple.
- Cool Automobile? Elephants, not cars.
- Sunglasses? Don't recall...I think Andy wears them
Submitted by: Amy Engelsdorfer
- Babes? None, unless you think the zombies are hot!
- Poofy Hair? Of course someone has poofy hair it's Duran Duran!
- Torn Clothing? Um I think john does at one point the zombie people do though
- Cheesy Keyboards? Well, Nick isn't cheesy, but there are keyboards
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Simon changes his clothes I believe
- Stage Effects? The zombie people are pretty strange lookin'
- Wild Instrumental solo? I'm not sure, they all talk in this video if that counts!?
- Storyline? They are waiting for the nightboat to come so they can leave Roger alone there with the zombies I guess cos thats what they do!
- Cool Automobile? The boat is pretty cool looking
- Sunglasses? I'm not sure, it was nighttime
Submitted by: Tiffany
, "Girls on film (uncensored)"
- Babes? There are two girls, includs them mud wrestling and pillow fighting together
- Poofy Hair? Nick, Andy, John , I think the dark haired girl might count at one point
- Torn Clothing? Well, with mud wrestling comes torn clothing!
- Cheesy Keyboards? I personally don't think its cheesy, but some people might so close enough
- At Least One Change of Clothing? The girls change a lot, from bathing suits, to naked, to cowgirl and the man changes from a horse (not literally) to a tux
- Stage Effects? Well it has lighting and that counts as a stage effect. Plus the bit where the girl is falling off the man-horse, has paused frames which count as visual
- Wild Instrumental solo? Well its not wild but its still a solo
- Storyline? They are girls on film pretty much acting out the song title, nuff said
- Cool Automobile? A man acting as a horse, i think that is cool
- Sunglasses? The lifeguard bloke
Submitted by: Claire Marie
, "Union Of The Snake"
- Babes? The elevator chick in the red costume at the beginning of the video. There's also this dark haired woman toward the middle in black tattered clothing that would qualify as a babe.
- Poofy Hair? All of the band except Andy because his hair is pulled back in a ponytail.
- Torn Clothing? Andy is the only band member with torn clothing but as far as the other cast then that would pretty much include everyone.
- Cheesy Keyboards? It's the 80's...does this really need an answer?
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Don't believe there are any clothing changes in this one.
- Stage Effects? The elevator appearing to go underground. There are visuals that pop up on screen throughout the video.
- Wild Instrumental solo? There's a great sax solo and the bass kicks butt.
- Storyline? It's a dialogue between the ego and alter ego need i explain more?
- Cool Automobile? A very cool Ford pick-up truck and there's this horse at the end...does that count?
- Sunglasses? Andy's wearing them but when does he not have them on?
Submitted by: DDFan
- Babes? Ummm...I'm a chick, but I think guys might think the girl in the swimsuit is a babe.
- Poofy Hair? Nick Rhodes!
- Torn Clothing? Didn't really notice this, but I think 9 is good enough for me.
- Cheesy Keyboards? See #2.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Simon is wearing different clothes from when he's on the beach to on the boat.
- Stage Effects? All the boats.
- Wild Instrumental solo? Nick's crazy keyboard solo in the beginning.
- Storyline? The pursuit of girls is storyline enough for me.
- Cool Automobile? That hot yacht!
- Sunglasses? Those big ones Simon's looking over in the very beginning.
Submitted by: C.F.
, "Girls On Film"
- Babes? There are a bunch
- Poofy Hair? Andy's hair is pretty poofy, lots of hairspray.
- Torn Clothing? Well, not exactly tattered, but the girls on the whip cream post with the pillow have extremely skimpy lingerie. Does that count?
- Cheesy Keyboards? Yes, it was before Nick upgraded to Roland
- At Least One Change of Clothing? The Fab 5, no...the girls, yes.
- Stage Effects? lots of lighting and smoke machines.
- Wild Instrumental solo? The long version of the tune has a pretty wild (And long) guitar solo
- Storyline? No storyline, just softcore porn, strange softcore porn.
- Cool Automobile? none, sorry.
- Sunglasses? Yes, the lifeguard.
Submitted by: Bryan
, "Hungry Like the Wolf"
- Babes? Of course! The wild cat chick Simon chases through the whole video
- Poofy Hair? Nick Rhodes. John Taylor. Nuff said.
- Torn Clothing? Simons shirt has the back ripped right out of it by the the wild cat chick, who also has a pretty skimpy little number on. And she tears Simons' neck open at the end, that counts.
- Cheesy Keyboards? Oh yes. That cute little boggle sounding effect that runs right through the song
- At Least One Change of Clothing? These guys are the original clothes horses! A few designer suits to be seen.
- Stage Effects? The screen rips
- Wild Instrumental solo? No solo that I can recall. Oh well.
- Storyline? Simon chasing wild cat chick through the streets and then the jungle, with the rest of the band chasing Simon. Riveting stuff!
- Cool Automobile? The jeep!
- Sunglasses? Who can forget those god awful aviator/welding goggle sunnies Simon has on in the restaurant.
Submitted by: tina
, "Wild Boys"
- Babes? There is Jane Fonda
- Poofy Hair? Again....Jane Fonda....Duran Duran & the tour manager if that counts
- Torn Clothing? The torn clothes of the "wild people" in the video
- Cheesy Keyboards? Nick Rhodes....Not cheesy a brilliant man, but there is keyboards
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Simon changes from stage clothes to his black Wild Boys clothes
- Stage Effects? The WHOLE video
- Wild Instrumental solo? The chorus....the whole song!!!!
- Storyline? Dr. Duran plot
- Cool Automobile? A flying guy and a bunch of old beaten up cars on set oh & the tunnel of "wind" that carries around 3 of the Wild Boys
- Sunglasses? a camera guy with glasses & I think a photographer is wearing a hat & sunglasses
Submitted by: Rebecca
Songs beginning with: [Index
Do You Have a Video to Share?
Please check out the Perfect 80s Music Videos submission page.