Ten Criteria for the Perfect 80's Music Video, Groups Beginning with R
Compiled mostly by Chris Pyhtila with the help of Andy Pachmayer, Chris
Burger, and Aaron Fynewever
Further commentary added by ChuckyG and various web visitors...
This page currently edited by: Rio Rhodes. Past editor: Rock 'n' Roll Fan
The Original Criteria
- At least one babe
- Poofy hair
- Torn clothing
- Cheesy keyboards
- At least one change of clothing
- Stage effects (smoke, lasers, etc.) or visual effects (artist jumping through a TV, disappearing, etc.)
- Wild instrumental or record scratch solo
- A storyline
- A cool car (although any kind of transportation is acceptable, like a plane or a car or a motorcycle)
Songs beginning with: [Index
, "I Love LA"
- Babes? The "big nasty redhead" riding in the convertible
- Poofy Hair? The redhead has poofy hair
- Torn Clothing? The punk rockers have torn clothing
- Cheesy Keyboards? The band Toto playing on the rooftop of the Shangri La Hotel in Santa Monica while Randy and the redhead are doing the Tango.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? The two main characters don't change their clothing but you do see a lot of interesting clothes as Randy and the redhead cruise the streets of LA from Santa Monica Blvd. (We Love It) to the Valley (We Love It)
- Stage Effects? The black and white opening in New York City going in to the colorful quick sequence of people and places in Los Angeles is visually outstanding.
- Wild Instrumental solo? It may not necessarily be a "wild instrumental" but there is the instrumental where you see the mega-80's group, Toto, playing on the rooftop of the Shangri La in Santa Monica while Randy and the redhead dance the tango.
- Storyline? Randy and the redhead leave New York City for a place that's warmer and the people are way more cool. Cruising Los Angeles they see why everyone "loves LA"...."We Love It!"
- Cool Automobile? the red 1950's Buick
- Sunglasses? Randy and the redhead are wearing sunglasses
Submitted by: Laura Granito
, "Lay It Down"
- Babes? the girl that grows to be stephen's pearcy's "love"
- Poofy Hair? Hey it's RATT !!! .... and the girl in the video has a poofy hairdo too
- Torn Clothing? Warren de martini's pants
- Cheesy Keyboards? nope.... but is glam rock.....i think it makes for a key board right??
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Steaphen pearcy changes 3 times
- Stage Effects? a lot of fog
- Wild Instrumental solo? Warren de martini's slol in the middle of the song
- Storyline? yup.... a little boy at his 7 year party that wants to lay down with this little girl when they grow up
- Cool Automobile? ...... nope
- Sunglasses? yup.... steaphen pearcy again....
Submitted by: Gilberto Chavez
, "Never Gonna Give You Up (Rick Roll)"
- Babes? Yes.
- Poofy Hair? Absolutely. The Rick Roll is very well-known for this.
- Torn Clothing? No, but the trench coat is way better!
- Cheesy Keyboards? None visible, but clearly audible.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Yes. Rick Ashley changes clothing several times, and wears two different colored trench coats.
- Stage Effects? Yes, including fog and moving lights.
- Wild Instrumental solo? Yes, the drum beats at the beginning alert you that you have just been Rick Rolled.
- Storyline? Not really, but the video is so repetitive, which makes up for it.
- Cool Automobile? No, cool cars are so 2000s.
- Sunglasses? Yes. The very large sunglasses that were very popular in the 80s and early 90s.
Submitted by: Alex
Songs beginning with: [Index
Do You Have a Video to Share?
Please check out the Perfect 80s Music Videos submission page.