Ten Criteria for the Perfect 80's Music Video, Groups Beginning with K
Compiled mostly by Chris Pyhtila with the help of Andy Pachmayer, Chris
Burger, and Aaron Fynewever
Further commentary added by ChuckyG and various web visitors...
This page currently edited by: Rio Rhodes. Past editor: Rock 'n' Roll Fan
The Original Criteria
- At least one babe
- Poofy hair
- Torn clothing
- Cheesy keyboards
- At least one change of clothing
- Stage effects (smoke, lasers, etc.) or visual effects (artist jumping through a TV, disappearing, etc.)
- Wild instrumental or record scratch solo
- A storyline
- A cool car (although any kind of transportation is acceptable, like a plane or a car or a motorcycle)
Songs beginning with: [Index
, "Lick it Up"
- Babes? Dude..there's women everywhere in this
- Poofy Hair? Gene Simmons's hair is totally poofy heh
- Torn Clothing? Oh yes, all 4 of them have torn clothing on.
- Cheesy Keyboards? Nah.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Nah
- Stage Effects? Nah
- Wild Instrumental solo? Vinnie Vincent has a cool lead solo
- Storyline? Dude..the song is about "O" sex! heh
- Cool Automobile? Nah
- Sunglasses? Nah
Submitted by: Andrew
, "Oh To Be Ah"
- Babes? Yeah. The blonde near the intro that Limahl was talking to on a *huge* cell phone
- Poofy Hair? Heck yeah! Limahl, Stuart, Jez, everyone
- Torn Clothing? Jez is wearing torn clothing
- Cheesy Keyboards? Yeah, you see the keyboardist (Stuart) playing a set of PPGs throughout the video---with cowboy boots.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Limahl changes from a white suit to his outfit from Too Shy
- Stage Effects? Split Screens! Limahl dances on one half (with orange lighting), Stuart dances with his keybaords on the other. Slide Effects, cartoon bubbles appear above peoples heads when they talk. When Nick Beggs runs into a lamp,a big cartoon explosion thingie appears.
- Wild Instrumental solo? Limahls "Oh to be ah" yelling while the keyboard is making all kinds of beeping noises.
- Storyline? Starts out with riding along talking with people, then meeting up with Glam girls as they talk about Fashion
- Cool Automobile? Several Mercedes cars and a few European thinges. Limahl rides in the back of a limo (or is tossed there by a hot chick)
- Sunglasses? Nick Beggs and this guy talking to Nick beggs wear the thick, black, wayfearer shades. Classic!
Submitted by: Jonathan Candelaria
, "Never Say Die (Iron Eagle)"
- Babes? The lead singer had a sex change operation a decade after this video, does that count?
- Poofy Hair? When the band members first appear at training.
- Torn Clothing? Only thing the video's missing, unfortunately.
- Cheesy Keyboards? The song's intro could be considered cheese keyboards 101.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Several
- Stage Effects? Simulator footage.
- Wild Instrumental solo? The prerequisite guitar solo.
- Storyline? Band members training to be fighter pilots, under the instruction of Louis Gosset Jr.
- Cool Automobile? F-16 Falcon
- Sunglasses? Jason Gedrick is the only person in this video who doesn't wear sunglasses.
Submitted by: Eugol Dlareg
, "Crazy Crazy Nights"
- Babes? Someone in the audience
- Poofy Hair? The whole band
- Torn Clothing? The lead singer (Paul Stanley)
- Cheesy Keyboards? Throughout most of the song
- At Least One Change of Clothing? Lead singer rips his off
- Stage Effects? Gene Simmons shooting fireworks out of his bass
- Wild Instrumental solo? Guitar solo (My Favourite)
- Storyline? A no no
- Cool Automobile? A no no
- Sunglasses? A definite no no
Submitted by: james law
, "Reason to Live"
- Babes? yeah the blonde psycho chick.
- Poofy Hair? Gene Simons and Paul Stanley
- Torn Clothing? yes on stage they had torn clothes on im sure.
- Cheesy Keyboards? the girl is sitting at a piano when she takes the picture and throws it against the wall.
- At Least One Change of Clothing? the girl starts out in a towel and ends up in a black dress.
- Stage Effects? when the porche gets blown up.
- Wild Instrumental solo? not really wild cuz its a power ballad but its a solo.
- Storyline? Psycho girl gets dumped by Paul so she blows up his car.
- Cool Automobile? the porche
- Sunglasses? this is the only one im not sure on.. but it seems like there is at some point.
Submitted by: Sharon
- Babes? Plenty of babes (and some spunks), but Kylie tops them all
- Poofy Hair? Kylie's massive perm, no less
- Torn Clothing? Sadly none, but typical fashions for 1987
- Cheesy Keyboards? 80s synth backing track, typical of songs produced by or done in the style of Stock-Aiken-Waterman
- At Least One Change of Clothing? I've counted at least five (for Kylie only)
- Stage Effects? Blue-screen effects, "behind-the-scenes"-style shots and some fast-motion moments during a photo shoot near the end of the song
- Wild Instrumental solo? Some weird vocal scratch (if there is such a term) during the middle-8, typical of some songs produced by or in the style of Stock-Aiken-Waterman also a brief guitar moment
- Storyline? Can't think of a storyline, but basically an 80s cover version of Little Eva's Locomotion
- Cool Automobile? In one version of the clip, Kylie and a group of people are seen leaving a private jet at the start of the clip
- Sunglasses? Just before Kylie starts singing, she can be seen walking through an airport terminal wearing sunglasses
Submitted by: Brendan Richards
Songs beginning with: [Index
Do You Have a Video to Share?
Please check out the Perfect 80s Music Videos submission page.